Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I bought Diablo 3. After playing it, I know now that Blizzard is rather a gigantic name instead of an entity that creates good games.

Blizzard. Not so special anymore.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

So, the theory now is that 12 million mindless drones buy Blizzard games based only on the name of the company now? Wow...just wow...lol

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Psychow

So, the theory now is that 12 million mindless drones buy Blizzard games based only on the name of the company now? Wow...just wow...lol

I will just ignore the haters. They don't seem to understand that their hate is just opinions, no more and no less valid than those who love the game.

The only facts here are:

a) D3 sold 12M copies.

b) D3 are rated pretty high on metrics. And this particular fact only reflects the aggregated OPINIONS of the reviewers.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Why is D3 news on MMOPRG, since it is an APRG. It is non-news here.

Originally posted by botrytis

You don't know? MMORPG covers some ARPG, MOBA, in addition to MMORPGs. Just look at the games with a forum. There are *many* that does not have a virtual world, and some don't consider as MMORPGs. Examples:

- D3, LOL, PoE, Gundam capsule fighter ....

• iamthekilleriamthekiller Member Posts: 93
    Diablo 3...the highest selling piece of garbage in history? How long did it take blizzard to develop D3? We could call that the "Constipation Period"...and whenever they hired Jay wilson and put him in charge...we can call that the "Laxative Remedy"...not long after that blizzard had explosive hershey squirts in the form of D3...A crying shame...
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by botrytis

Because MMORPG.com, despite having the best site address possible seem determined to dilute its appeal to MMORPG players.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by expresso

linky

For the calendar year, Blizzard Entertainment had two top-10 PC games in  North America and Europe.  

Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PC game sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December 31, 2012, and World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria® was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail.

As of December 31, 2012, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with more than 9.6 million subscribers.

Please read below and inform yourself before discussing WoW's subscription numbers

World of Warcraft’s Subscriber Definition

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

So this means that if you have a person who only pays for a day or two of game play per month (assuming it is possible) is considered a subscriber?

Sounds like a way to vastly boost your sub numbers if you ask me....

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Yamota

linky

For the calendar year, Blizzard Entertainment had two top-10 PC games in  North America and Europe.  

Diablo III was the #1 best-selling PC game at retail, breaking PC game sales records with more than 12 million copies sold worldwide through December 31, 2012, and World of Warcraft®: Mists of Pandaria® was the #3 best-selling PC game at retail.

As of December 31, 2012, Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with more than 9.6 million subscribers.

Please read below and inform yourself before discussing WoW's subscription numbers

World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.

So this means that if you have a person who only pays for a day or two of game play per month (assuming it is possible) is considered a subscriber?

Yes.  The eastern gamers pay for time, not a month and Blizzard counts them even if they only played for say 8 hours a month.  What company wouldn't do that.  It over inflates numbers and makes the investors go oooooh ahhhhhhhhh!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

No one cares about Blizzard. Only about 1M NA play WOW and D3 pretty much showed the truth of what blizzard wants. But that is the same a people seeing what is happing in the world.

Don't forget they are also being sold!

I am glad you can speak on behalf of all the gamers world wide. Always gives such a  cedibility to your post. However next time make sure to add some factual information if you are going to post numbers because it is too easy to pull numbers out of thin air.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    what game was #2?
  • laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

One thing you can't hide is concurent user online.  And wow do have many of those.

I dont' know who is number 2.  But the number 2 is usually some newly released f2p asian games.  And is quickly replaced by newer released of another asian f2p game.

The thing about Diablo is I dont' think many people play it for that long.  Many probably just play for a month and quit.  But that being said, Even if 1% of people still play daiblo 3 it is still 120k players.  And I'm pretty sure there are more than 1% that keep playing still now.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by laokoko

One thing you can't hide is concurent user online.  And wow do have many of those.

I dont' know who is number 2.  But the number 2 is usually some newly released f2p asian games.  And is quickly replaced by newer released of another asian f2p game.

The thing about Diablo is I dont' think many people play it for that long.  Many probably just play for a month and quit.  But that being said, Even if 1% of people still play daiblo 3 it is still 120k players.  And I'm pretty sure there are more than 1% that keep playing still now.

The in game public grouping number that was introduced after launch in patch 1.03 in D3 shows a 30% retention rate after 7 months.

That number changed in patch 1.03 and was constantly around 1800 in prime time (pre 1.03 it had another calculation). These days it is around 600 in prime time.

So new groups are being formed at around 30% retention rate, which would put the game between 2 to 3 million players depending on the figures of 12.000.000 sold copies. These numbers ONLY include public groups being formed, they do not include already full groups, private groups, solo play or AH play.

All players are reunited on just 3 servers, one per region, for softcore play. There is also one server per region for hardcore play, without a RMAH.

The 30% retention of newly formed groups is actually pretty standard for all games, but it is remarkable 8 months after launch.

D3 has many casual players that return on a regular basis and that is shown by these in game grouping figures.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am looking forward to SC 2 HoS as well as Diablo III expansion.

This forum is funny...Anet sells 3m copies and they are perceived as the most successful company in the history of PC gaming. Blizz sells 12m copies of ARPG, maintains +- 10m subscribers in 8 year old MMO, yet they suck according to many people here.

That guy above even claimed that there are 11m+ disappointed people who will never buy Blizz product again...are you serious?

I never understood that either. Anet/GW2 ... must have invested tons of money into forum dwellers. I never saw a game pushed this way. Never. Not even SW TOR or Lotro or Aion.

Furthermore ANET sell ALL their lacking stuff as a kind of "revolution" by NOT having it...

NO mount systems. revolution. NO seamless worlds between zones: revolution. NO open world PvP: revolution. Only closed zones with closed borders : revolution. Masses of loading screens as the only way of fast transports: revolution.

If Blizzard or Bioware would have made GW2 I think  the internet would explode with RAGE about all these lacking features, but in GW2 it is considered the next big thing alongside slided bread.

Strange worlds we live in these days ...

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I knew what this thread was going to be full of before I even clicked on the title...That's all I'll say about that, or I might get banned from this site lol.

Congrats to Blizzard at a job well done.  It might not be perfect but WoW and D3 are better than anything else on the market...that's why they have such huge shares of the market.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Yamota

linky

The difference is Blizzard tells us this other devs don't, so you are not able to dispute blizzards number but you're free to dispute the method.

But lets say I pay for a month sub but only play for 4 hours that month should I not be counted? it's a grey area, how much game time does a player need to clock up to be counted? 1 hour 100 hours? 1000 hours?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Starcraft II the new expansion I will be getting it for sure. I loved the first one and yes I do love their games .I mean I do not play WoW anymore but while I did I really loved it.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Starcraft II the new expansion I will be getting it for sure. I loved the first one and yes I do love their games .I mean I do not play WoW anymore but while I did I really loved it.

i also quit WOW a while back. However, it has entertained me for yearS. I can hardly say that about other games. Even SC2 .. the single player campaign is a lot of fun.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am looking forward to SC 2 HoS as well as Diablo III expansion.

This forum is funny...Anet sells 3m copies and they are perceived as the most successful company in the history of PC gaming. Blizz sells 12m copies of ARPG, maintains +- 10m subscribers in 8 year old MMO, yet they suck according to many people here.

That guy above even claimed that there are 11m+ disappointed people who will never buy Blizz product again...are you serious?

What makes you reply?

Well, the funny fact is, that some people are more interested in bashing other games than having ''fun'', due to the fact of an inner-hate, coming from nowhere against some other games. The funnier fact is that the ''nowhere'' we have mentioned lately, is more than clear now, basically, that they have an inner-feeling, that this or that new game could actually be better than their beloved ''GAME KING''. Sadly, those funny gamers, will always feel bad, despite the fact, that even if their game is the best seller in the world, they won´t get any money for that.

Dear gamers, just have fun and leave all games and companies in peace. They have their job, you have your job and it is basically '' having fun with any game in the industry nowadays, why not? ''.

Now, one more thing. Showing a personal opinion is nothing wrong, but replying about how bad ''Game x'' is, in almost 100 threads, just proves ... well, that you have bad confindince about the game you love! If you really think, that ''Game x'' is that bad, you would have never bothered yourself with replying or even caring. So simple fact is: '' most haters know that everything in this worlds is so beatiful, that it is worth hating ''.

'' Trolly philosophy is your key to reality ''

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Galadourn

the question is: who cares about WOW's subscriber numbers....(apart from blizzard shareholders, that is)

Because sub numbers help fans validate their opinion that they're playing a good game.  It's important to be one of the "cool kids" ya know.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Galadourn

the question is: who cares about WOW's subscriber numbers....(apart from blizzard shareholders, that is)

Because sub numbers help fans validate their opinion that they're playing a good game.  It's important to be one of the "cool kids" ya know.

That is a very shallow view. I do care about size of player population because that

a) a higher population means easier to find groups

b) more people to trade with (i.e. easier to find deals, or better liquidity in the AH)

Both of those directly impact how fun a game is.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million

So the conclusion is Blizzard is making a killing regardless rite?

Thought you'd never say!

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Thought you'd never say!

Yes. They always do because they make fun games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

like this guy makes "fun" music

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Thought you'd never say!

Yes. They always do because they make fun games.

It's true. They do make fun games. They make them well.  And it seems people around here think that is a bad thing. "What? The game is fun and not a second job?? Then it must be for kids!"