Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ1- How were you introduced to the game? How old were you, experiences you had?.

Comments

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I started playing sometime in the late spring of 1999, shortly after it was released.  I was 29 and EQ was my first MMO experience.

I had actually heard about Ultima Online from somebody and I was very intrigued about the whole 'persistent world' MMO concept.  I decided to go to a local game store, probably EB Games to buy it.  But the person at the store persuaded me to by EQ instead of Ultima Online, stating it was less 'laggy'.

So I bought Everquest, installed it and began playing.  I was IMMEDIATELY hooked and still remember my first hours of game play vividly... I rolled a Wizard, found my way out of Felewithe (sp?) and into the newbie zone.  It was night, people were running for their lives back to the guards outside the city... I was hooked for the next 5 years.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

1999, I was 38.  Standing in my partner's office he had the office TV tuned to CNN.  They were talking about people selling EQ gear on ebay for _real cash_ money.

My thought at the time...  MMOs?  I'll stick with LAN parties.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I started in 2001 when I was 15. A guy at our local hobby store who me and my friends played Warhammer 40k with came in on our gaming day and told us about it. He came in and said he had no desire at the moment to play 40k because he was stuck on that game. I didn't have a computer at the time, but my friend did and got it not too long after and started a Wood Elf Druid. I'd go over and watch him play and got hooked, got my dad to (finally) pick up a PC and I started a Wood Elf Warrior on Bertoxx.

Was basically hooked instantly. I remember when I was level 7 or so I traveled to Freeport to hunt in North Ro. I kept a No Drop thing of desert sand just to show that I had been there, kind of like a souvenir. I leveled a lot slower than my friend did, who was pushing more towards the higher levels and the raids where I liked to get groups for obscure places and see what was around at times.

Played until Omens of War nearly came out, got into an up and coming guild during the Planes of Power expansion and lucked out a bit getting officer and part time raid leader. Led raids a few nights a week, upped to 6-7 days a week when the leader took a little break from the game. Was pretty proud of that time, pushed our guild into Ssra and a few first kills there along with our first Burrower Beast kill. Sadly, had a falling out with the guild and never really found another home. Tried a few upper guilds like my friend's that he was in that were doing elemental planes, but didn't complete the recruitment process and just kinda faded away from the game. Never did find another game that was even close to that no matter how hard I tried, so have been thinking about coming back recently.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I think the magazine was called PC Xtreem somting like that.  They had a trail demo in June 1999.  I tried it was hooked like crack.  I still am but I stoppped playing a few years ago.  I looking for the next EQ maybe that will be EQ Next.   I was 18 when it came out i swear for 3 years I didnt sleep.  I loved the leraning curve and the challenge.  I loved that it took me close to a year to reach max level the first time on my Half Elf Ranger.  I loved my name Dien Alot.  I tried to recover my account but sonys been a bitch.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Beta

Still the 2nd best MMO ever made.

Age 31

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I was 12 years old. My parents had just bought a new family PC from walmart. I was stoked. I had to check out this things gaming power! So I asked around on some internet forums what the best game out at the time was. Everquest came up repeatedly.

I went to Wal-Mart with my mother. We saw Everquest there, bought it, got it home and then realised you needed to pay monthly to play a game?! No way!

So I traded it to my friend for Diablo 2. 

Ended up not liking Diablo 2, he had never registered EQ so I traded it back and convinced mom to let me play EQ. 

Hated EQ for a week or so. Forced myself to play it because it took so much convincing to get to that point.

Fell in love with EQ, never found another MMORPG like it since then. I'm 25 now.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    I started playing EverQuest in 1999 when I was 18.  I was playing Ultima Online at the time and a friend of mine kept asking me to try EQ.  So after a few weeks of him bothering me almost daily about it, I decided to give it a try.  Really glad I did, because it was a great game and I was hooked.   I ended up playing EQ for about 5 years.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I remember thinking I'm never going to play this game past 1 month because no game deserves a monthly fee. 2 years later I realized how dumb I was.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I was playing UO at the time, and they introduced new land masses and other things, and their servers seemed to really stressed from it, and the rubberbanding was horrible.  I really like UO, but I was fed up with the lag/rubberbanding, so I knew EQ was coming out, so decided to have me and my girlfriend (now wife), give it a go.

I played a necromancer, and my gf played a enchanter.  I stayed away from the biggest raiding guilds, was more of a 2nd tier raiding guild member.  I found their was too much backstabbing, me/me/me, and general drama in the top 1-2 guilds on our server. 

My best times were dungeon crawls, we played with a couple from the Netherlands a lot, and the guy would play a cleric and warrior if needed, and his gf would play a ranger.  So we often had 1-2 other people join us, and we would go have fun, bs, and try to go places that were hard to get to, and expand our camps/pulls to where we challenged ourselves a lot.   The guy from the Netherlands, I swear he could play 2-4 characters better than most people play 1, but he had a pretty crazy computer(s) set up too.  My gf was also the best enchanter I had seen play, back before all the UI tools and everything else, she could click/point and keep like 8 mobs mezzed and under control, fast enough, and in the right order to keep squishy people from dying from like a 12 pull or something, and mentally keep track of when they would all break, and when to reapply the different mezzes.  

I got a tired of the direction of EQ, after LDoN, at first it was cool, but then everything seemed to be focused on instances, and I remember running one like 40 times trying to get some SK these rare drop boots, and I was like I am done with this instance and watched my wife run it another 40-60 times for the same guy.  I thought to myself this is crazy and boring, to do the same instance 100 times for some boots for someone.  I became a big instance hater, to the point that I would hardly buy anything with instancing in it. 

I played EQ for probably 8 years total, with some breaks for DAoC, and I think a return trip to UO for a while.  EQ and UO are my top 2 MMOs of all time.

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96

I was 18 when i heard about EQ from a co-worker, he was trying to talk me into joining his guild. I was playing UO and wanted him to join me instead. When i went to work the next day there was an EQ box sitting on my desk, i now had no choice but to try it. I enjoyed it so much i canceled my UO sub and played EQ for the next 5 years with him and the guildies i met that day online. Lots of good stores and bad ones. But was a great experience i'd never give up.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I was in my mid 20s, also was a DM for an ongoing D+D campaign in Hollywood for many a nameless star and stuntmen in Burbank, CA. We all started playing a tank game on our off-hours from D+D called Tanarus.

Then one day, Tanarus released Everquest, and our jaws dropped, and the D+D game collected dust from then on, sadly, but it was ok.

my first memories was shooting a fireball at a gnoll in blackburrow from the top of that crater at the entrance" oh look, he ran away, wonder where he's going..' HOLY ****!

Once we got our bronze and woven armors we ventured to Split Paw, where our ranger tank hero died. He was so mad, he logged. remember this is EQ1 hardcore mode. So each of us 3 casters, had to take all his gear (he wore bronze) and walk (encumbered) back home, our bind point was at the dungeon so..

nothing like trying to outcrawl elephants, cyclops, gnolls, skeletons, bandits, so many bandits...South Karana, North Karana, West Karana, we're lost! it's dark! I dropped the torch it was heavy!...sense heading i didnt skill it up! argh!

6 hours later we made it back home, to Qeynos. One of the most memorable times I never want to repeat in any mmo, but definitely a fun memory. We laughed and cried so much in that journey.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I was 18 or 19 and boy l loved that game, i have fond memorries of many dungeons and experiances in EQ. I spent a lot of time in Sirens Grotto with my wizard and then later with my Val Shir beastlord.

I loved that place plus Crystal Caverns, Black Borrow, Common Lands the list goes on.

Ulri and Siberious were my two character names.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I was stationed in North Carolina at the time (24 years old) and had just purchased my first PC in '99. My last Comp having been a Commidore 64 back in the 80's. My brother, who had been a huge gamer sent me a few games. Mechwarrior and Everquest. He told me we could stay in contact acrossed the country in EQ and told me stories of helping a troll by buying him food and smuggling it to him in ButcherBlock Mountains because the guards would attack him. I played once, rolled a monk and died to a rat in Qeynos. Turned off the game and went back to playing Mechwarrior.

Three months later, I decided to give it another shot, rolled a Barbarian Shaman and played him for the next five years. Met quite a few people and am now married to one of them, just had our Eleventh Anniversary a few weeks ago.

• DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Beta

Age 31

What's the 1st?

Originally posted by Thorbrand

Beta

Age 31

Whoops

My first experience was an enchanter I was exploring fey dark when I saw a brownie hut aww how cute them BAM dead took me hours trying to loot my corpse lol loved evey min of it. 

• Kieren2Kieren2 Member UncommonPosts: 7

I think i saw the game in a local game store 2002 & decided to give it a try.

Made an halfelf ranger on the AB server. Only played 1 char 2002-2004.

Met some great people in the game & we played for 2-3 years together until EQ2 & WoW came out.

Was great fun in BB, the Karanas & Oasis etc. image

Ive tried the game on & off until today, but it was never so good as the first few years.

Ive tried EQ2, WoW, Conan, DDO etc, but none of them was as good as EQ back in the days.

Im still on the AB server & on Xegony.

Hoping that EQ Next will be a good1...

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I heard about eq in 99 from some crazy mud player, found the game in a store and ran it unprepared with my defenses down. Addicted I was from that moment, and today I am still not quite in control if I log in - I jumped on the progression servers last time they launched and didnt get a hold on it before I had played like nuts for 6 months adding another 100 days /played to my accounts. I can't say what it is about everquest, but no other game has been able to hold such control over me - Sure WoW kept me up all night a few times, but it been nothing compared. Evul I tell you Evul.. sweet sweet Evul my precious.

• BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166

Heard about it in late 98/early 99 and actually participated in IRC chat channels with a preformed guild (actually learned how to program an irc bot for the channel we had) months before release.

My RL friend and I jumped on Solusek Ro when it came out, but my job at the time, fresh out of school, had alot of travel so when I would get back home my buddy would help me out. As a low level wood elf I made the treachorous trip to Rivervale from Kelethin, with my friend helping me out along the way. I was 24 at the time, and I'd make a habit out of checking EQ'Lizer.com every now and then for new items found.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i was playing D2 when it first came out (i bought my first computer just to play D2 after loving the PS version of D1) and a lot of my friends were all telling me about EQ and Daoc but i wasn't hearing it lol

i finally gave in though.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

I was 18  when I played EQ1 for the 1st time, it didn't really stick, as I had a new girl friend...

When I was 20 ish, maybe 21, it's been a while, I was stationed in Washington State. My brother played EQ, and lived in South Carolina. We played pen and paper desktop games for years. He sent me a EQ pack with all the expansions, this was pre PoP, and I was Hooked. We played every afternoon, I remember the magic of GFD, of orc hill. All of our old D & D friends played too, and we camped Unrest, the great music, the skellies cackling, KFC and the airey/breezy music.

Oh man I loved EQ1. It felt like some places were so very far away, because you have to find a porter, run 3-5 zones, sometimes wait for a boat. I haven't seen the same wonder or exploration in any MMO since. The world felt ancient, it felt huge, it felt alive.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

My buddy started playing it right around the launch and was totally addicted. He kept telling me it was the greatest game ever. He bought the game for me and told me to play a warrior because they were the easiest class to play (LOL). I think I was 24.

It was the greatest game ever. 

• SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49

I was 25 and just moved to Florida from Pennsylvania with my family in 1999. First thing I did was buy a new PC and bought EQ for the hell of it. I was instantly hooked and still am friends irl with about a dozen people from a guild I was invided too. In 2005, I realized I was in Florida and stopped playing to gain experience in the real world. I still play here and there on ftp, but it's nothing now like the golden years.

If EQ3 is made right, I will go back, but all the MMOs these days keep my interest until I hit max level in 20 hours and get bored.

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Was about 14 enjoyed EQ crafting was amazing loved it had fun but lvling took fking forever main was Killza reached lvl 34 then it started to take me almost 2 whole days of playing to lvl once.

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• ColumbiaTrueColumbiaTrue Member Posts: 47

Oh, wow.

Q: HOW WERE YOU INTRODUCE TO THE GAME?

A: Indirectly. By accident. A severe competitor to my warcraft (not World of Warcraft) guild was talking trash to me and capitulated and said, "well, I will be in EQ in a few months." I . . . and I do not really know why . . . was intrigued that such a fierce competitor so nonchalantly was going to leave.

Well, we talked in AOL a bit; he talked about ogres - and ogres who drank beer! I saw the pictures, the preliminary screen shots of the game. 

I bought a new PC, got my younger brother a new PC, and we tried it out. It lagged to all hell. I had a problem with my monitor as it turned out. But I got hooked. 

Q: HOW OLD WERE YOU?

A: Very young at the time. Maybe 13. 

Q: EXPERIENCE YOU HAD?

A: Well, I had two that are . . . maybe three that are crucial to my development:

1. Strated as a wood elf. Kept falling off, dying. Was very impressed, visually.
    2. Started as then as a human warrior, killed rats and things. Loved it, felt that more was out there - AND BOY! WAS I RIGHT.
    3. On my human warrior. Met a dear friend. Wish i could say life-long friend. In my heart, he is. An adult, his two kids played the game; he was shocked when I told him my age. He was a successful computer programmer entrepreneur. He played a magician, and he and his kids and I and my brother had many (many) journies. 

"The truth is EA lies." - Youtube User

Sim City. Everquest. Civilization. Dungeon Keeper. Vampire: The Masquerade. These are the games that I love and cherish.