Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Defiance: Overcharging Your EGO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As Defiance nears its launch, our aim is to keep our readers on the cutting edge of knowledge about the game. With that in mind, this article represents the first in a series of discussions about progression and EGO skills. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

In Defiance, players assume the role of an Ark Hunter, essentially a gun for hire, bent on reclaiming alien Arks for fame, profit, and of course... more profit. For those that may not know, character development is not the same “pick a class and go” action you’re used to in many MMOs. Instead, Defiance uses a classless system that instead has you pick a main skill to use (and you can learn all four) and then flesh them out with perks as you progress through the game.  At character creation you’ll pick an Origin, which gives you a basic starting look and a little character back-story, but you don’t pick a class.  As a shooter, there aren’t really strict roles to fill. Everyone is going to be shooting something, in some fashion or another. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Defiance: Overcharging Your EGO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

something is wrong with the advertisements in between paragraphs.... i dont mind ads in the website but some of them pop up right on top of a good chunk of the article and cant read the whole thing.

Any ideas how to get rid of them?

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    It's funny how all of you are giving opinions about the beta when you are under NDA.....
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Yes, the game is still under NDA. This means that any details or impressions are out. So please stick to the content of the article/ publicly released material from the devs.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    If we write on these forums just what that article says, it gets deleted.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Volgore
    If we write on these forums just what that article says, it gets deleted.

Different agreements.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

What does EGO mean?

Hmm no skills with any synergy with other players. This is something I didn't like about Borderlands as well as that some skills rely on you swaping between weapons frequently.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I don't see how someone's feelings about a game can be covered by an NDA.  As long as you aren't stating a fact or describing a game specific, you aren't really disclosing any content of the game.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

I laughed so hard @ that title... "overcharging your ego"

LMAO

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    I don't see how someone's feelings about a game can be covered by an NDA.  As long as you aren't stating a fact or describing a game specific, you aren't really disclosing any content of the game.

You would be surprised how someone who wasn't in beta can be effected by someone who was by a simple opinion on how they felt about a game that isn't even out yet. 

Creating negative feedback based on something that is likely to change anyway can cause negative feelings in people who never even played it simply based on a half assed comment from someone who broke the NDA.

The same happens with positive feedback from beta. It can cause overhype for a feature that can possibly change in the future. When the game comes out and it's not there anymore, people will be crushed.

The whole point of the NDA is to prevent things like this and keeping public opinions to once the NDA is lifted and they feel the game is close enough to be represented how they want it.

Also, don't forget beta is for testing the game, not creating opinions on how awesome or sucky a game is. You shouldn't be trying to persuade anyone in either direction EVER during a beta.

So it's not so much about the content describing, but the feelings you attach to that information is influential to other people, which hurts games in beta status.

I hope that explains a little bit on why NDA is important to follow.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    WTH!? That screenshot used in the article looks like a older version of me!  Hilarious! Can I sue? I keed. I keed.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Please consult a medical professional before considering the EGO implant. Von Bach Industries assume no responsibility for illness, mutation or fatality resulting from unsuitable host integrations.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou

You would be surprised how someone who wasn't in beta can be effected by someone who was by a simple opinion on how they felt about a game that isn't even out yet. 

Creating negative feedback based on something that is likely to change anyway can cause negative feelings in people who never even played it simply based on a half assed comment from someone who broke the NDA.

The same happens with positive feedback from beta. It can cause overhype for a feature that can possibly change in the future. When the game comes out and it's not there anymore, people will be crushed.

The whole point of the NDA is to prevent things like this and keeping public opinions to once the NDA is lifted and they feel the game is close enough to be represented how they want it.

Also, don't forget beta is for testing the game, not creating opinions on how awesome or sucky a game is. You shouldn't be trying to persuade anyone in either direction EVER during a beta.

So it's not so much about the content describing, but the feelings you attach to that information is influential to other people, which hurts games in beta status.

I hope that explains a little bit on why NDA is important to follow.

I know why they have an NDA, my point is that I don't see how such an agreement can bar impressions or feelings that don't directly describe facts about the game itself. 

Breaking an NDA involves divulging info that only someone in beta could know.  An opinion isn't knowledge, a feeling or impression isn't knowledge. 

But as is always the case, staff of fansites believe that the trust of devs/publishers is what keeps the lights on, and not those of us who raise their unique visitor count. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    breaking the NDA involves giving up information about the game not a general feeling. Mods and players here can spin it how they want since its THEIR website but good luck having any company sue you for telling people if a game is awesome or sucks. While the mature thing to do is wait for the game to get closer to release before giving any judgement .
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I think , I am find main shooter mmo ,finaly
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

"It's funny how all of you are giving opinions about the beta when you are under NDA....."

Beta is just a advertising exercise these days and has been for years. Don't preorder any game, let alone a MMO.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597

Because, by giving you opinion/feeling about the game tells us you are in the beta and if you are under the NDA, you can't even tell if you're in beta.

I hope you understand now.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

cant type in the damn dark  crap

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Scot

"It's funny how all of you are giving opinions about the beta when you are under NDA....."

Beta is just a advertising exercise these days and has been for years. Don't preorder any game, let alone a MMO.

Whether or not you feel it's not what they say it is, you're under contract.  NDA means keep your trap shut.  Most NDA's used to even stipulate that you cannot state you are in the beta. 

I can't give you my overall impression of the game but I can tell you that I opted to cancel my pre-order.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Leethe

There are loads of ego perks that will affect your team mates.

oops.

Thanks. I will keep it on the down low.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Scot

Exactly.

The worst scam out there is making you pay to play a beta.  Anyone doing so should be lashed with a wet noodle, it sets a very bad precedence  (Cryptic is an example of one of those scammers).

We are fortunate that  Trion is one of the better developers and does not do that.  

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by UNH0LYEV1L
    [mod edit]

So what you are telling me is TRION sacked 50+ staff, emasculating the Rift team, sidelined Scott Hartsman (who then left) and all for a second rate game that may well end up earning less than it cost to make?

Then of course there is "End of Nations"

Way to go team! 

For those that are still waiting for Archeage, still glad TRION is publsihing it in the West?

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    sounds vaguely familiar ... kinda like PS2, but on tv.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• dimureadimurea Member Posts: 4
    Please fix those ads that make large chunks of the article unreadable.