Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of re-subscribing.

Yeah, I'm thinking about resubscribing and even bringing some of my squad back with me. Does this mean I support CRS? Absolutely not. I think what they have done to this once magnificent game is a crime. They have abused their customers and removed game features only to charge more for what's left. I took my ball and went home three years ago because of exactly that. Not only was I burnt out but, my favorite things to do in game were effectively removed with the most hamfisted solutions you could possibly imagine. In addition, their all consuming desire to attract players that will never enjoy or appreciate what WWIIOL is, has allowed them to alienate the majority of their player base.Sure, they've added things along the way, most that should have been there from the start, but they've taken an open sandbox and crammed it into a large shoebox.

So why am I even considering a return when all of these negatives are present? Simply put, WWIIOL is the greatest game I have ever played and like a dear friend who is close to expiring, I want to sit by her side until the end finally comes. It is heartbreaking to be sure.

You see,it wasn't just a game to me; It was my hobby, my passion. I could happily spend hours planning an operation for my squad, designing target packages, studying map movements and player habits. It was nothing for me to sit in bush in the middle of nowhere for several hours waiting for the 30 seconds of combat that would result from my careful planning. I loved examining the capabilities of the aircraft and vehicles and the intricacies of the game mechanics. Despite economic hardships and hardware failures I struggled to continue playing. I made real friends and valued aquaintances that I never would have known otherwise.From holding a gap when the front has collapsed to my CO blowing an ambush when he was "peeking to see if anyone is coming", I've got fond memories.

I'm not trying to convince anyone else by saying this. If anything I might be trying to convince myself.I haven't found any other game that has inspired my creativity and excitement like this one has.Rose colored glasses? Maybe.

Do I want the game to die? Absolutely not. I want it to get better.I want it to recover from its long illness and thrive. I just don't have faith anymore that it will happen. So that leaves me thinking; Should I just walk away, or should I try to milk every last drop of enjoyment out of it that I can? I haven't found the answer yet.I've never been one to turn my back on a friend. On the other hand, I've not been one to let the poor life choices of my friends affect my own life to any serious degree. If someone chooses to go down in flames, I don't want them taking me down with them.

As you can see, I keep flip flopping on the issue. It isn't an easy decision. On one hand, they are asking the highest price ever for a subscription fee in a world where free to play and micro payments is becoming the standard. On the other, free to play often means free to be disappointed.

At any rate, I just thought I'd share with you my thoughts on the subject, for all that's worth. S!

Comments

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I have considered it, but when I went back as a F2P, I found the game to be dead.   I am not an off timezone player but a US East Coast Prime Time player.   And when I found there were less players on the server than there used to be in a P1 attack or Defence is just sad.     Infantry combat just isnt that much fun without people.    And the movement just feels sluggish after playing top tier FPS on the market now.    

And the flight model has always been a joke to me, since I come from flight simulations first.    But the armored combat part of the game was good but coming from a real life armor back ground and offering my input on some aspects of the game to improve the gameplay and told by DOC that I was an idiot and didnt know what I was talking about, even when I backed it up with documentation from several sources not just one, which he used.  

The last straw was CRS claiming that WWII Online is used by some unnamed military in some way.   Unless that military is Al-Queada or Cobra from GI JOE, I doubt they are a telling the trueth.

So much crap, so little quality.

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    I say go for it.  But I would only do it month by month.  Until the F2P was introduced I resubbed every year for a month or so just to keep in touch with how the game was going.  Those first couple of weeks are awesome.  Every kill is a rush. 
  • pittpetepittpete Member Posts: 233

Good post Anfiach, can't argue with that.

I honestly think thats how a lot of us feel deep down.

I'd say if you have the time and the $$$$ resub and give it a chance.

No one can deny that the game needs more players, because that is fact.

The only way the game will change for the better or perhaps the worse is if they get more subs & hire a coder or two.

I love the game, I'm a hero account, but I'm giving it 6 months more tops.

If there are no new employees and no change by then, I will either unsub or stop being a hero.

Until then I will try to support and recommend others to try the game for themselves.

S! 

• CeTheGreatCeTheGreat Member Posts: 84
    Anfiach you stud!!!!

Resub and stfu :D Be great to see you back dood!

S!

• XOOM-CRSXOOM-CRS Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by Hodo

The last straw was CRS claiming that WWII Online is used by some unnamed military in some way.   Unless that military is Al-Queada or Cobra from GI JOE, I doubt they are a telling the trueth.

Could you please explain more on this? Who, when, what, where?

[email protected]
    Cornered Rat Software

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by XOOM-CRS

This stuff maybe?

In July 2001 representatives of the US Defense Science Board conducted a technology review of Playnet's core MMOG technologies. Their ‘Summer Study on Science and Technology’ included specific emphasis on current game industry technologies that could benefit or advance the state-of-the-art of certain military simulations for tactical and strategic training and related applications for the US military’s future.  According to a key study participant, Playnet’s was one of only four companies’ technology from the games industry specifically referenced in the final report made to the Office of The US Secretary of Defense in October 2001.

Early in 2002 this exposure led to a contract with AT&T Government Systems Group . Playnet performed as part of a 4 company team under sub-contract to AT&T for a client in the Pentagon, office of Assistant Secretary of Defense. The client only funded the 1st two phases of the project and did not exercise their option to fund full production.

In 2006 Playnet was again approached by a defense industry contractor in the UK to explore licensing Playnet’s technologies and to hire Playnet to develop a PC-based modern-day battlefield simulator for a client in the UK Ministry of Defense. This UK-based defense contractor signed a licensing and support agreement to use Playnet’s MMOG technologies in their project, and Playnet was hired and successfully delivered, on-time and on-budget, a development services contract for that modern/future battlefield simulator project.

As of the 4th quarter of 2009 Playnet is still actively pursuing several highly targeted opportunities for contract and/or licensing opportunities in the 'Serious Games' market.  Potential, near-term business is currently being investigated for teaming arrangements with government contractors and one direct contract with a US Navy client for "advanced traing systems" and 3D visualization projects.

That's the basis of "this" bashing post? Things are worse here than I thought.

[email protected]
    Cornered Rat Software

Xoom, most of us just ignore Hodo.

Thats not contributing Chris.

Cmon broimage

Military Grade Physics Engine

Taken from the Steam Greenlight page.

Military Grade Physics Engine

Taken from the Steam Greenlight page.

And yes... I know "completely" is spelled wrong, I didn't create it, but it very much described my reaction.

[email protected]
    Cornered Rat Software

Originally posted by rendus

This stuff maybe?

In July 2001 representatives of the US Defense Science Board conducted a technology review of Playnet's core MMOG technologies. Their ‘Summer Study on Science and Technology’ included specific emphasis on current game industry technologies that could benefit or advance the state-of-the-art of certain military simulations for tactical and strategic training and related applications for the US military’s future.  According to a key study participant, Playnet’s was one of only four companies’ technology from the games industry specifically referenced in the final report made to the Office of The US Secretary of Defense in October 2001.

Early in 2002 this exposure led to a contract with AT&T Government Systems Group . Playnet performed as part of a 4 company team under sub-contract to AT&T for a client in the Pentagon, office of Assistant Secretary of Defense. The client only funded the 1st two phases of the project and did not exercise their option to fund full production.

In 2006 Playnet was again approached by a defense industry contractor in the UK to explore licensing Playnet’s technologies and to hire Playnet to develop a PC-based modern-day battlefield simulator for a client in the UK Ministry of Defense. This UK-based defense contractor signed a licensing and support agreement to use Playnet’s MMOG technologies in their project, and Playnet was hired and successfully delivered, on-time and on-budget, a development services contract for that modern/future battlefield simulator project.

As of the 4th quarter of 2009 Playnet is still actively pursuing several highly targeted opportunities for contract and/or licensing opportunities in the 'Serious Games' market.  Potential, near-term business is currently being investigated for teaming arrangements with government contractors and one direct contract with a US Navy client for "advanced traing systems" and 3D visualization projects.

And thank you for finding that.  Dealing with soldiers in real life and looking up information at the sametime is not something I can do today.

Originally posted by pittpete

Perhaps I am not up on all my internet memes, but WTF is that one?  

White guy saying I am not that white?

Starts with an R

ends in ING

you do it in basketball

you shouldnt do it on a ladder

Starts with an R

ends in ING

you do it in basketball

you shouldnt do it on a ladder

I dont play Basketball.  

Football, Soccer, MMA, Skiing (before I blew out my knee), and western Martial Arts (medieval sword fighting)

• anfiach`anfiach` Member UncommonPosts: 110
    When your CFO is busy trolling off-site forums during business hours, ya got issues. Just sayin'.
  • CeTheGreatCeTheGreat Member Posts: 84

Perhaps I am not up on all my internet memes, but WTF is that one?  

White guy saying I am not that white?

I'm a little confused too lol. What's this mean Pete :)

• anfiach`anfiach` Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Reaching
  • StugStug Member UncommonPosts: 387

Confusingthread.com

Started differently, went down hill fast.

• Silky303Silky303 Member Posts: 134
    Reach for the sky? Wasn't that Douglas Bader's autobiography?

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

Originally posted by anfiach`
    Reaching

ding,ding,ding,ding

You da man anfiach, now get in game and have a some fun bro.

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

I get curious like you too OP, but I just log my free account whenever I do and usually I don't see much going on. The forums are nearly dead as well so there's even less reason; at one point I would stay subbed just to keep in touch with the community but so many people have left and you can't really talk about anything substantial without it being locked or deleted.

If I really get the itch, or if there's new content or game changes(lol) I might fork over the $9.99 for a month or so.

• ZbusZbus Member Posts: 116
    Yeah every so often I get the urge with the thought in my head that maybe this time CRS will listen change the game for the better problem is that never happens. So what I do now is hit them in the place that matters the wallet. Tough way to go about getting change but it seems to be the only method CRS understands. Sad part is at one time I was just like STUG when defending the game trust me when I say its been a long fall from that point, and it took alot of CRS work to get me to the place I am today feeling wise about the game. 
  • UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

Ha, it's like a guy thinking about hitting up his ex-girlfriend. Don't do it! image

In all seriousness,

If you want to go back and reexperience your past adventures then resub and have fun! Just do yourself a favor and don't believe in the delusions of WWIIOL miracuously turning for the better because you'll only be kidding yourself. Nothing is going to change, unfortunately.

It's like some people want to belive that by hiring a new coder and pushing out the new patch it will somehow make a difference for WWIIOL. However, in my opinion - looking at past history - it'll only convince dissatisfied players to reconsider unsubscribing and possibly even bring back some curious vets. But in the end I think there's just too much work needed to make a drastic change and CRS simply doesn't have the manpower nor money to make a difference. 

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(