Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers

Comments

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

As much as I think Blizzard are money grubbers and some of their design choices are questionable, I still enjoy their games.

I played SC2 single player to completion, I put 300 hours into D3, I've played and quit every WoW expansion.

I've enjoyed my time with all 3, but no longer play any of them.

I mean is it because people expect more? They expect perfection, a game that will sustain them for years and when they don't get it they rage?

I spent full box copy for Farcry 3 and finished it in 20 hours, i'll never be playing it again. I put 300 hours into D3, which game would I say is better? They were both good and neither perfect.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Starcraft Expansion + D3 Expansion will each sell millions... probably 10's of millions combined.

No doubt. Because Blizz made fun games. I will be buying D3 expansion, and probably BOTH D3 & SC heart of the swarm. Heck, i enjoy SC2 single campaign very much even when i am not a big RTS fan.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hey people like britney spears, Justin beiber and black eyed peas sell shotloafs of albums
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Hey people like britney spears, Justin beiber and black eyed peas sell shotloafs of albums

Don't mess with the Beibster, talent like that comes but once in a generation.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Who cares. They haven't had anything worth playing really since the first few months of WoW and D2. 12 million copies or not, D3 is completely dead for online play. And WoW...well let's just say things haven't worked out for people who actually want a game to play.

LOL .. so much hate.

D3 is still top 10 on xfire, and certainly way more people are playing it, than something like Eve. Want to be the expansion is going to sell millions?

They are different genres, why compare D3 to EvE, why not compare it to Fifa13 or CoD.

Because Eve was touted as the big success here.

Let's compare it to other games. And i did say top 10 in xfire .. that is in comparison to all online games, right.

D3 is way ahead of FIFA 13 on xfire.

D3 is behind COD4, but ahead of COD BO2 (the newer COD) on xfire.

In terms of sales, BO2 sold 7.4M in its first month.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/black-ops-2-sales-down-14-percent-year-on-year-in-u-s/

I think D3 sold 6M in its first week, and 10M in its first 3 months. So i guess they are comparable.

So i guess D3, in terms of sales, and play-time, stacks up well with the best FPS franchise.

that cuts both ways

despite D3 selling 4x as well as GW2,  GW2 has higher gameplay than D3 on Xfire

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Probably because d3 is the second worst recent "big game", after star wars.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

If we are just gonna talk stats...

The population of the earth is over 7 billion!

So I think I win this one!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Leave YOUR favorites out of this discussion please...

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162
    yeah right dont forget 70% of them r goldseller/farmer accounts

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Who cares. They haven't had anything worth playing really since the first few months of WoW and D2. 12 million copies or not, D3 is completely dead for online play. And WoW...well let's just say things haven't worked out for people who actually want a game to play.

LOL .. so much hate.

D3 is still top 10 on xfire, and certainly way more people are playing it, than something like Eve. Want to be the expansion is going to sell millions?

They are different genres, why compare D3 to EvE, why not compare it to Fifa13 or CoD.

Because Eve was touted as the big success here.

Let's compare it to other games. And i did say top 10 in xfire .. that is in comparison to all online games, right.

D3 is way ahead of FIFA 13 on xfire.

D3 is behind COD4, but ahead of COD BO2 (the newer COD) on xfire.

In terms of sales, BO2 sold 7.4M in its first month.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/black-ops-2-sales-down-14-percent-year-on-year-in-u-s/

I think D3 sold 6M in its first week, and 10M in its first 3 months. So i guess they are comparable.

So i guess D3, in terms of sales, and play-time, stacks up well with the best FPS franchise.

that cuts both ways

despite D3 selling 4x as well as GW2,  GW2 has higher gameplay than D3 on Xfire

Sure .. because lots of people are playing D3 single player. And no one says GW2 is not a success. And both are MUCH higher than Eve in terms of sales and xfire numbers.

Originally posted by SuperNick

As much as I think Blizzard are money grubbers and some of their design choices are questionable, I still enjoy their games.

I played SC2 single player to completion, I put 300 hours into D3, I've played and quit every WoW expansion.

I've enjoyed my time with all 3, but no longer play any of them.

I mean is it because people expect more? They expect perfection, a game that will sustain them for years and when they don't get it they rage?

I spent full box copy for Farcry 3 and finished it in 20 hours, i'll never be playing it again. I put 300 hours into D3, which game would I say is better? They were both good and neither perfect.

Good perspective.

Same argument with WOW. I quit WOW last Dec but before that i played for years, and probably put in 2000 hours. So how is that not a fun game?

Games does not have to last forever to be fun. In fact, i put much less into Dead Space, or Dishonor, or Deus Ex and these three are great games in my books.

Sure .. because lots of people are playing D3 single player. And no one says GW2 is not a success. And both are MUCH higher than Eve in terms of sales and xfire numbers.

D3 singleplay does not lower Xfire stats - single player is still online play

Originally posted by Nadia

D3 singleplay does not lower Xfire stats - single player is still online play

Single player will have less reason to use xfire because xfire is for MP functionalities. There is self-selection here.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

And over 11 million are dissapointed and vow to never buy a Blizzard product again.

Before ranting at me, I jest.

I can pull numbers out of my behind too but i like to deal with real information. Although, how many times have we heard this now? oh yeah every time Blizzard releases a new game. After the latest Starcraft release i read and heard similar things and then Diablo 3 broke all sale records.

When new Blizzard game will release it will do the same yet again. When will you guys learn? Blizzard is the alpha of online gaming. I know you 'jest' but hey..it is still getting old.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Blizzard is the alpha of online gaming.

i no longer appreciate Blizzard the way i used to - but i agree w you

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

So is it a forgone conclusion on these forums that subscriptions are inflated because the Eastern market players in that region  play less than those in the West? Is that what people here are saying? Do they have anythign to support that conclusion, or is it just some dufus remark like "70% are gold farmers" that keeps their hate going...

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

the question is: who cares about WOW's subscriber numbers....(apart from blizzard shareholders, that is)

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Don't mess with the Beibster, talent like that comes but once in a generation.

Thank goodness. 

Don't know if I could handle another beiber.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Originally posted by NaughtyP

If we are just gonna talk stats...

The population of the earth is over 7 billion!

So I think I win this one!

Wish this site had a +1 button.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    hope they lost much ppls at d3 p2p+pw2 -.-    poe is better i enjoying a lot more  +p2p and not pw2
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Is that how you feel about GW2 too? or you are just playing the usual 'your world is too mainstream' card as an exception to only Blizzard?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Just going to reply with a link that does the Blizzard and McDonalds dance.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Originally posted by Boudewijns
    yeah right dont forget 70% of them r goldseller/farmer accounts

Never really got this arguement, I mean how could 30% of the population support 70% of the gold farmers? I mean they don't farm gold for free.

And at that rate EVERY single person in WoW would have to buy (daily) what 2 gold farmers produce.... eh don't see it happening.

Even if you cut it in half.. So out of the remaining 30% of the "real" player base half of them buy gold (which seems like a really large number) so 15% fo the player base is buying daily, what 4.5 farmers produce..

that is a SH*T ton of gold.. and this is simple math.

At BEST 20% of the population is farming gold... at BEST.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

No one cares about Blizzard. Only about 1M NA play WOW and D3 pretty much showed the truth of what blizzard wants. But that is the same a people seeing what is happing in the world.

Don't forget they are also being sold!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

D3 is a poorly itemized, poorly designed (aside from the combat, which is actually not bad for most of the time -- though I still would have preferred a skill tree), plot hole story-filled piece of garbage. It sold based on name, Blizzard reputation, and an old demo video of the game that got everyone excited before they found out the game was actually nothing like it.

That being said, WoW is still the best MMO on the market as far as I'm concerned. It's the only one that has been able to consistently keep me for a few months every time I go back to play it, and I've been playing it since launch. Somehow, they continue to do a decent job at keep this game interesting. At least in short spurts.