Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Fallen London

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's Independency, we take a little side trip from the planned topic to a little game called Fallen London. In it players can dance with devils and much more. Find out more about Fallen London and then let us know what you think in the comments.

A browser-based title set within the subterranean reaches of what may have once been a proud English city, Fallen London is a little bit of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, a lot of Lovecraftian mythos, a touch of the creators' personal brand of humor and a whole lot of good writing. It's not the kind of game you keep on plugging at and, in all honesty, it barely constitutes as an MMO(your friends will only play a vague supporting role here). Nonetheless, Fallen London deserves playing. In an era informed with throwaway games and questionable writing, Failbetter Games have done something than a lot of big-budget titles have failed to accomplish: build a world worth discovering.

Read more of Cassandra Khaw's Independency: Fallen London.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I've been playing this on and off for a few years now, it's a fun little diversion that's worth anyone's time. It's a 20 mins a day type game, unless you want to pay, the pay model doesn't really appeal to me, I'm happy to wait for my actions to replenish naturally.
  • KtaraKtara Member Posts: 37
    Same with me maniacfox, and it's a pretty fun storyline. 
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Interesting, will look into this:

The Escapist ~ best browser game 2009 (Aion best mmog that year for ref: Strange Days!)

"The gameplay of Echo Bazaar is little more than a simple grind: click here to level up one stat, click there to level up another. Lather, rinse, repeat. But the simplicity of its gameplay belies its addictive and enticing nature. What makes Echo Bazaar so wonderful and weird is the world it creates in Fallen London, a city dragged underground to the 'Neath, where the dead walk the streets and souls are for sale. Equal parts macabre and cheeky, Echo Bazaar hooks you with its premise and keeps you clicking away to find out what happens next. Which, as it turns out, is almost never what you'd expect. Frequent updates and new lines of content keep Echo Bazaar feeling fresh and new even for those tasty mortals who show up each and every day."

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

There can be only one comment to this, "I've got a tiger, have you got a tiger?"

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    I found this game quite charming.  Fun to play, for awhile.  The incessant push to get you to facebook spam your friends eventually turned me off, though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AshenDreamAshenDream Member UncommonPosts: 7

I've been playing this one off and on for two or three years, and it gets better and more interesting with every revision. The storyline and writing really are all with Fallen London, and the devs have done a great job at creating a world that *feels* like Victorian-era London while not really being much like it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Lovecraftian

All I needed to know (yuck).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.