Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was in the Press Beta, ask me anything.

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by XAleX360
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    UBC is that user built content? Because of so city of heroes had it as does EQ2. Did not really mess around much with the  EQ2 one but the COH one pretty much lead to AOE  power level instances being made. Which will probably end up being the majority of what we see with the mentality of the newer gamers these days. 

Yes, City of Heroes had it (it was Cryptic's first MMORPG). But Foundry is much more fleshed out, not to mention that UGC heavily depends on how many people are interested in the game in the first place, and Neverwinter has much more appeal than City of Heroes in terms of IP to attract players and therefore, potential Foundry creators. It has also the history of UGC through NWN 1&2, although those game used the Aurora Toolkit, but it's likely that at least some of those who tinkered with NWN 1&2 could be back for this game.

I iwsh peopel would stop spreading the misinformation that CoH's Mission Architect had anything to do with what no is Cryptic.Paragon Studios released Mission Architect over a year before Cryptic released the Foundry for STO

Paragon Studios =/= Cryptic Studios.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01
    Ok here is my question. Astral Diamonds. What are they worth in real cash? The early one says you are getting 750,000 astral diamonds. So trying to figure out what that is in terms of Perfect worlds Zen currency.

This would be of interest to me as well. I like the cat but not enough to pay $199. If however the AD more or less worked out in real currency (that is to say if the AD with the founder's pack more or less equaled $199 in value) I would probably jump on it.

I know they say it's a $549 value but quite afraid that is marketing spin.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    UBC is that user built content? Because of so city of heroes had it as does EQ2. Did not really mess around much with the  EQ2 one but the COH one pretty much lead to AOE  power level instances being made. Which will probably end up being the majority of what we see with the mentality of the newer gamers these days. 

Yes, City of Heroes had it (it was Cryptic's first MMORPG). But Foundry is much more fleshed out, not to mention that UGC heavily depends on how many people are interested in the game in the first place, and Neverwinter has much more appeal than City of Heroes in terms of IP to attract players and therefore, potential Foundry creators. It has also the history of UGC through NWN 1&2, although those game used the Aurora Toolkit, but it's likely that at least some of those who tinkered with NWN 1&2 could be back for this game.

I iwsh peopel would stop spreading the misinformation that CoH's Mission Architect had anything to do with what no is Cryptic.Paragon Studios released Mission Architect over a year before Cryptic released the Foundry for STO

Paragon studios was created largely with former Cryptic staff, and ran the game that Cryptic made.  When it got closed down, I wonder if there was any local MMO developers nearby who were looking to develop an MMO with UGC that the guys from Paragon could work on (these guys from Paragon also being former Cryptic staff)?

Technically you are correct.  Practically, probably not.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Here is my question. . why would someone pick this over DDO?  What makes it different / better?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

The screen shots and other stuff make the game look interesting to atleast give it a go, but I am really put off by the small zone sizes.  I can deal with short loads, but I would atleast like to have some zones that don't feel like a little room.  I don't know how bad it is, so hopefully this isn't the case, but I am not seeing much to make me think that it isn't small, and you would feel like everything was a group instance.

I don't really like instances, loads I dislike, but I can deal with no problem, over instancing makes me feel like I am not playing a MMO. 

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Paragon studios was created largely with former Cryptic staff, and ran the game that Cryptic made.  When it got closed down, I wonder if there was any local MMO developers nearby who were looking to develop an MMO with UGC that the guys from Paragon could work on (these guys from Paragon also being former Cryptic staff)?

Technically you are correct.  Practically, probably not.

Practically I am correct yes Paragon Studios was formed whne Cryptic Studios sold their rights to the CoH franchise to NCSoft at which point Jack Emmert and others left with the Cryptic Studio name to work on what became Champions Online and those who didn't leave formed Paragon Studios.Two entriely seperate entities working independantly with no official coolaboration outside of maybe old friendships.There is no technicalities at all.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    WHy are ppl bashing a game that they have not yet played?
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

WHy are ppl praising a game that they have not yet played?

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by sibs4455
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

WHy are ppl praising a game that they have not yet played?

Why ask why?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

After watching about 3 hours of live gameplay last night on Twitch.tv why does combat look like Street Fighter instead of traditional D&D? 

Example: I noticed no stopping to look for traps, is it even in game?

• LokbergLokberg Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by Kreedz

WotC is so careless with their IP these days, they will give it to anyone that shows them a Proffit Graph and/or Nifty Pie Chart.

The only thing this game has for me in its current state; is the Foundry... everything else seems underwhelming to me, to say the least.

The Classes have almost no resemblence to any of the traditional DND Archetypes, I would prefer a something including the usual Fighter / Paladin / Ranger / Rogue / Sorcerer / Wizard / Bard / Monk / Barbarian / Cleric, with the option to Multiclass.

Even I can understand that that would be a lot of classes to work and balance into the game, but even if they just had the 'staple' classes for a group they would do alright.

The fact that Ranger isnt even going to be out for launch is the biggest turn off for me.

You say all those classes and complain about ranger not being in totaly missing its brother the Druid whats with you man ^_^

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267
    One question, what is the crafting like?

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Here is my question. . why would someone pick this over DDO?  What makes it different / better?

Without having even played it there are quite a few things noticable right off the bat, not the least of which is a significant graphical improvement. 

DDO does it's best to try and adapt the 3.5 d20 system to live gameplay, but in the end suffers for it with a pretty clunky click-spam game if you're not a spell caster (which is actually pretty close to 3.5 now that I think about it...) Neverwinter on the other hand has a decent amount of customization as you level up with at will, encounter and daily powers. 

DDO also has somewhat of a lax party definition. Each class is valued based on how quickly they can make the party clear the dungeon, which means that tanks essentially don't exist, and certain classic builds are also non-existant (Bow wielding rangers, for example, are completely inferior to dual wield, and have been so for years.) Neverwinter has a more MMO style class balance approach, giving each class a roll to fill. 

Biggest one I can think of though is the Foundry. Neverwinter has player created content, DDO doesn't. Not much more to be said.

I'm sure there are others, but that'll get you started. The game looks promising, I haven't been this excited for a game since before Warhammer 40k got aborted in the THQ bankruptcy.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

After watching about 3 hours of live gameplay last night on Twitch.tv why does combat look like Street Fighter instead of traditional D&D? 

There are traps and were shown in streams. Its just that traps are harmful but not lethal. So if there is a trap in the grounds near combat or just after combat, you might die - but otherwise they shouldn't kill you in one shot.

Also rogue can see a trap from far, so the rogue will just avoid it.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by StMichael
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Without having even played it there are quite a few things noticable right off the bat, not the least of which is a significant graphical improvement. 

DDO does it's best to try and adapt the 3.5 d20 system to live gameplay, but in the end suffers for it with a pretty clunky click-spam game if you're not a spell caster (which is actually pretty close to 3.5 now that I think about it...) Neverwinter on the other hand has a decent amount of customization as you level up with at will, encounter and daily powers. 

DDO also has somewhat of a lax party definition. Each class is valued based on how quickly they can make the party clear the dungeon, which means that tanks essentially don't exist, and certain classic builds are also non-existant (Bow wielding rangers, for example, are completely inferior to dual wield, and have been so for years.) Neverwinter has a more MMO style class balance approach, giving each class a roll to fill. 

Biggest one I can think of though is the Foundry. Neverwinter has player created content, DDO doesn't. Not much more to be said.

I'm sure there are others, but that'll get you started. The game looks promising, I haven't been this excited for a game since before Warhammer 40k got aborted in the THQ bankruptcy.

Hmm..Are you speaking for everyone...?

Classes are based on how quick they can clear a dungeon ? Thats just elitists jerks that has that opinion..

If you play DDO you should play it with a close circle of friends for best results, If you try to join the aging fanbase of dedicated gamers as a new player ..well be in for a ugly surprise..But this is nothing unique just for DDO..

.But these old players they tend to play this game as they do, they mostly prefer a quick in and out , since they have been doing these dungeons since 5 years back..

But as a new player and with friends that are in the same situation ..DDO can be a real D&D fest..With no spoilers and hard mode and a group of dedicated friends DDO is the best Dungeon Crawler available.

As for the rangers..Well ..I don't see how archers or ranged battle fairs well in any kind of dungeon experience..But In this case you are right, the players often choose not to play the ranged ranger in DDO , they go with the dualwielding one..But again..this is also mostly due to the concern that beiing gimped is such a big deal..I played a ranged ranger in DDO and it was fine..

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by gillrmn

There are traps and were shown in streams. Its just that traps are harmful but not lethal. So if there is a trap in the grounds near combat or just after combat, you might die - but otherwise they shouldn't kill you in one shot.

So basically what we get is minor annoyances that can easily be avoided or just stepped on because they are not leathal ?

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    How far does the game seem from release?
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I haven't tried it yet, but from what I have seen so far, I'm definitely not impressed. I see nothing innovative/ground breaking enough to make me want to leave my current games to play it. To me it looks like an updated version of Warhammer online. And, every video I have watched shows really confined areas.

Do the zones eventually open up into explorable areas?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    How did you find the game difficulty. Was it satisfying or did it feel dumbed down and too easy. Do you know if  the game difficulty lowered just for the beta ? 
  • EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by reploidx
    did they mention putting more classes in? I.E. Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger and the other staple classes from the core rulebook?

5 Classes will be in at launch, you already know them by now. They added in the Q&A that they will release other classes "continously post launch". I guess one of the first if not the first to be added will be Ranger, seeing as there's no option for bow lovers at the moment (a friend of mine  is very pissed for this).

Doubtfull they add a ranger, it looks like they simply skip any base class and go directly to prestige classes of somekind, or atleast make up their stuff they way they think is intresting not the way you like to play whit a class , I expect a hunter of sorts after launch and then a witchhunter.. trollslayer ..character race dragonborn followed by the dragonborn class , Katy perry cloth line and vampire slayer class along whit zombie race.. you get my drift.. I think it be a fun game but I highly doubt  it will truely resemble anyting D&D but the wrappings they put it in

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by reploidx
    did they mention putting more classes in? I.E. Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger and the other staple classes from the core rulebook?

This is actually quite ironic, because the old Neverwinter webpage, by Cryptic, had Five classes represented, each with a unique "picture" and a nice little quote under it.

Clerics, Rangers, Fighters, Rogues, Wizards

But instead of staying with more D&D roots and allowing players to take a general Wizard, and then specialize and customize it in whatever way they wanted, they decided to scrap that idea and make it so you have separate classes straight away, thus dumbing it down.

Example: Guardian Fighters and Great Weapon Fighters. Can anyone give me a solid reason why a Guardian Fighter couldn't switch to a crossbow, start the fight with that and maybe even draw a two hander if he's charging a mage? Instead, they are locked to a shield & weapon style forever. Same question applies to Great Weapon Fighters, if they see they are going to be taking hits, why not swap to a side weapon and shield, for lower damage, but more -survivability-?

Why are Devout Clerics stuck to using holy symbols? What if you see a creature vulnerable to frost and happen to have a frost longsword (if you're an elf) as a side weapon? No more utilizing equipment to it's fullest, instead these clerics just stand back with a symbol and shoot balls of light.

I'm willing to almost bet that Trickster rogues cannot equip two handed weapons. And just guessing that there will be no polearms what so ever except for maybe staves for mages? Sorry, I forgot, no need for staves, unlimited magic.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Is it worth it to get the hero of the north founders pack or it's just a game to spent some time

edit

After i saw the stream i realised it is free aim which is not my thing in mmos.

Furthermore it has no lots of skills like wow does so this game will not worth it for me

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by Zefire
    Is it worth it to get the hero of the north founders pack or it's just a game to spent some time

I do not understand your question. From what point of view, do you want it to be worth it's price?

If you are completely obsessed with making a "rebel drow of Menzoberranzan" and riding a giant spider, then yes, it's worth it. But if you have a preference for spending your money more wisely, I would highly doubt it.

Now, I cannot say for sure what the "Hero fo the north" pack contains. But I think it was only some in game goodies, early beta and all that? Now, if it had in game money (for the cash shop) equal to twice or three times the price of the founder pack, then I would actually say "consider it", but for now, I see no point in even thinking about buying it.

Now, were the founder's packs priced reasonably, say, 30 to 80 USD, I might've bought something, like I did with GW2, preordering it for was it 35 €?

We?re all dead, just say it.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by thark

So basically what we get is minor annoyances that can easily be avoided or just stepped on because they are not leathal ?

You need to decide that for yourself - I havent played beta but what it looked from videos - they took significant chunk of HP away.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by thark

You need to decide that for yourself - I havent played beta but what it looked from videos - they took significant chunk of HP away.

Traps can and will kill you.  As a non-healer classs you run around with less that full HPS a lot, and they put traps in rooms where you fight.  If you see an ungaurded treasure chest... get ready to get spiked.  I've only seen 4 types of traps so far - one pit trap (that killed me after a boss fight), circular blades from the floor, darts from some columns, and spikes that shoot up from the floor.