Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game herald's a new age of MMORPGs for the West.

13»

Comments

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

You heard it here first!!  TERA IS GOING TO KILL WOW!!!

I am also going to win the lottery today and then get struck by lightning while being attacked by land sharks.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Silly topic.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by DamonVile

()

()

()

F2P players get to experience all the content in the game no restrictions what so ever and every item in the cash shop is purchasable in-game off the broker.

I've never spent a dime on TERA since release and i've bought my subscription and all my cash shop items with in-game gold.

8 months of subscription and maybe 10+ cosmetic items including 3 mounts, never payed a dime of real money.

*cough* North America.

For anyone reading along and who doesn't know.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  Is the cash shop different depending on the country you're in?

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Silly topic.

()

()

()

F2P players get to experience all the content in the game no restrictions what so ever and every item in the cash shop is purchasable in-game off the broker.

I've never spent a dime on TERA since release and i've bought my subscription and all my cash shop items with in-game gold.

8 months of subscription and maybe 10+ cosmetic items including 3 mounts, never payed a dime of real money.

*cough* North America.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  Is the cash shop different depending on the country you're in?

Yes. EU is stuck with a subpar publisher.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Really?  There's another way to get items from the Tera cash shop?  Like trading in-game gold for CS currency?  I never heard that.  But I do like your constant stream of insults, they're adorable.  They just don't answer my question.

You didn't ask a question.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    Is that why it failed as a P2P MMORPG? "Oh my gosh! It's so good, I don't even want to spend my money on it!"

If the game was not good people would not play it at all. Does not matter if its free or pay to play. No game will ever launch and grow as a pay to play mmo ever again unless it is just totally better then anything else out there. There are just too many free to play mmos out on the market now. When was the last time you saw a pay to play mmo launch and actually grow?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    To herald a new age of mmorpg's, doesn't it have to be different?  Tera does have an aiming reticle, and improved combat but I wouldn't say it's changing a whole lot. Thats not implying it's a bad game either, just that it's ...                      ....familiar.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Is that why it failed as a P2P MMORPG? "Oh my gosh! It's so good, I don't even want to spend my money on it!"

If the game was not good people would not play it at all. Does not matter if its free or pay to play. No game will ever launch and grow as a pay to play mmo ever again unless it is just totally better then anything else out there. There are just too many free to play mmos out on the market now. When was the last time you saw a pay to play mmo launch and actually grow?

This feels like a quiz show!

Is the answer: World of Warcraft? That takes us back late 2004, early 2005.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Silly topic.

()

()

()

*cough* North America.

Hey, it's a silly world.  However, obviously I'm onto something if this thread got a thousand views in a day.  You are right however about the publisher in Europe.  I've only heard bad things about them.  That's why I specified "The West." 

Thanks for replying :).

I was not really looking for an answer but just wanted people to see that pay to play mmos arent really failing because they are not good but they just arent good enough to pay a sub fee when you have so many free alternatives to play.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Meh. Been playing TERA for the last few days since it went F2P. And to me it just seems like more of the same ol'. The exception being the combat system. I don't know... It just seems to be the same old turd wrapped in pretty paper. I understand that this is solely my opinion, and I DO see why people would find it fun. I wish I could as well. But... Meh. :P
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

" This game herald's a new age of MMORPGs for the West."

then i hope the old mmorpgs like vanguard or ac2 will be around for long since it means that no real mmorpg is coming.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    everybody knows it was lee harvey oswald who killed wow
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I was not really looking for an answer but just wanted people to see that pay to play mmos arent really failing because they are not good but they just arent good enough to pay a sub fee when you have so many free alternatives to play.

That is a huge assumption, when you have no real evidence.  Even when these supposedly substandard MMO's switch to F2P mode later on, most only show a few months of increased interest before they start winding down a second time around.  This would indicate a bad or boring game no matter its payment model.  One thing that cannot be denied is that the design philosophy of a subscription game is quite different from that of a F2P game, especially when they are designed that way from the very beginning.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

That is a huge assumption, when you have no real evidence.  Even when these supposedly substandard MMO's switch to F2P mode later on, most only show a few months of increased interest before they start winding down a second time around.  This would indicate a bad or boring game no matter its payment model.  One thing that cannot be denied is that the design philosophy of a subscription game is quite different from that of a F2P game, especially when they are designed that way from the very beginning.

Every mmo is going to have a surge when its released and dwindle down. Thats just the way it works but thats something I am not even talking about. I know what I said is an opinion so its not supposed to have any evidence. I will ask you the same question. When was the last time a mmo released with a sub fee and grew over time? All those pay to play mmos released since WoW did not suck. Before the free to play era a mmo had to be better then what you were already playing to make the jump because most people only subbed to 1 mmo. Now in the free to play era a pay to play mmo is going to have to be damn good to make people pay a sub fee and play it when they could easily get there mmo fix from the many free to play mmos out there now. Yes, this is my opinion and I am sticking to it unless you or anybody else can give me a better reason as to why pay to play mmos are launching and not finding success which results into them going free to play.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    I have a max level priest in the game, I may come back and visit.  All I know is the questing in the game is the worst I have ever experienced in an MMO.  At the time I left (6 months ago) there was very little endgame.  Maybe Ill check it out again. 

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by grimal

I was very excited to play this game again when it went F2P this week.  Created a new toon on the new PVP server.  I was quickly reminded why I stopped playing in the first place...the quest hubs and the completely uninteresting story.  I love the graphics and combat of this game.  The PVP is fun as well.  But the quests just kill it for me.

Ding, ding, ding.

I too love the aesthetics and combat, but everything else is subpar. There's sweet fuck all to do in the game besides fight, fight, fight ad nauseum. Some people are ok with that, I'm not. I played the CBT and then cancelled my subscription a week after it launched. Rolled on a new sever with a few friends (who have reached endgame on other servers), ripped through some quests and then finally called it a day last night. Got to level 41 and I could no longer stand the monotonous quest hubs. They're beyond terrible. I thought my brain was going to explode. PVP is great, BAMs and dungeons are pretty fun, but getting to endgame is proving to be a bit too much for me to handle.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by Broomy
    I have a max level priest in the game, I may come back and visit.  All I know is the questing in the game is the worst I have ever experienced in an MMO.  At the time I left (6 months ago) there was very little endgame.  Maybe Ill check it out again. 

Not so, the questing in this game is like 90% of every game on the market....false.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...