Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

Comments

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Champions Online.  if you look at my post history I've always said this game is a hidden gem.

Champions is fun for about a month, but you run out of content very, very quickly. It's also suffered quite a lot recently by a severe lack of development. Might want to drop by the CO forums and you'll see a whole slew of threads about it.

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by sea.shell After gathering a lot of information myself,
    Good post
    He would be correct if they weren't using 4th edition as a basis. Again, this is a different D&D which is why many D&D players switched to Pathfinder or stuck with older versions of D&D. 4th Edition actually changes the class makeup a great deal turning most of the differences into nothing but fluff or cosmetic. 4th edition generalized and simplified things to such a degree that what you see in NWO is pretty much 4th edition. This is why many D&D fans were upset and switched to pathfinder and or stuck with 3.5 (Both are interchangable). 

Something like the Trickster from 3.5 has little in common with the Trickster from 4.0. 

?! Probably i'm not worthy of being a 4th edition DM, but i can read.
    I do not argue, that having thiefling race in but no gnomes or Half-Orcs is a choice from 4th Edition and not Cryptic.

However:

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclassing
    Yep right here you go. Guess what NW does not have ...at all.

http://www.d20source.com/2009/05/players-guide-to-dd-4th-edition-for-3e-players

And that is a major difference to classes that it may look. While certain abilities now "powers" are fixed to classes (Most have been in 3.5 anyway) - having zero multiclassing means the difference in having a stealth mage hybrid to (taking it to the extreme) and just a mage nuking.

That is all i was writing, you may not like it, but that's a fact. Even Cryptic is saying all they wanted was "core roles" and core roles is what they did. They did not recreate the (4e) D&D class system, multiclassing is essential not optional.

The true test will be anyway if those chosen 5 mmo roles (and those two they will add till release - and afterwards) will suffice to bear the unfortunate design choices made.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

And you know this for a fact?

If not, i see just you starting a hypetrain......nothing more, nothing less.

Actually the lead Designer for Cryptic on Neverwinter stated clearly there will be more classes released in the future including the possibility of a ranger class and a plate wearing cleric. Whether they will be in patches or full blown expansions remains to be seen. of course if they put the new classes on the Cstore i wont complain.. a company needs to make money and the game is being given to players for free with no sub.

i am just saying that companies don't always deliver on what they say in beta.......prove me wrong.

I hope they can keep the fans happy.....personally i am not touching this game with a stick......not my kinda game.

(don't be confused....i didn't say this game sucks, i just stated that i dont like it.....that's all).

i understand what youre saying and cryptic has failed in the past to bring stuff forward.. however to play devils advocate CBS hasnt been very cooperative on some things so doing certain things in STO has been hampered.. if i got the wrong broadcast company forgive me i dont care about them so i get them easily confused.

As far as the classes is Neverwinter 5 on release and they said they will add more later. considering there is alot of conent in forgotten realms we can expect alot of things to come. the game is richer in story and lore than even WoW.. done right it could be a wonderful game. but again its up to cryptic to take the reins and do it right. whether they do or not is dependant on many things. support of the Cstore from players.. the game is free to play and download so the company needs to make money somewhere.  Now as i said before the lead designer and several of his staff are avid PnP D&D/Forgotten Realms fans.. so just maybe we will see great things. cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I realy hope they deliver for all the fans out there.....the lore should be enough inspiration to come up with LOADS of content for the future.

altough i don't like it, i do hope it becomes a good game for all you NW fans..... :)

:)

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by sea.shell

Originally posted by sea.shell After gathering a lot of information myself,
    Good post
    He would be correct if they weren't using 4th edition as a basis. Again, this is a different D&D which is why many D&D players switched to Pathfinder or stuck with older versions of D&D. 4th Edition actually changes the class makeup a great deal turning most of the differences into nothing but fluff or cosmetic. 4th edition generalized and simplified things to such a degree that what you see in NWO is pretty much 4th edition. This is why many D&D fans were upset and switched to pathfinder and or stuck with 3.5 (Both are interchangable). 

Something like the Trickster from 3.5 has little in common with the Trickster from 4.0. 

?! Probably i'm not worthy of being a 4th edition DM, but i can read.
    I do not argue, that having thiefling race in but no gnomes or Half-Orcs is a choice from 4th Edition and not Cryptic.

However:

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Multiclassing
    Yep right here you go. Guess what NW does not have ...at all.

http://www.d20source.com/2009/05/players-guide-to-dd-4th-edition-for-3e-players

And that is a major difference to classes that it may look. While certain abilities now "powers" are fixed to classes (Most have been in 3.5 anyway) - having zero multiclassing means the difference in having a stealth mage hybrid to (taking it to the extreme) and just a mage nuking.

That is all i was writing, you may not like it, but that's a fact. Even Cryptic is saying all they wanted was "core roles" and core roles is what they did. They did not recreate the (4e) D&D class system, multiclassing is essential for the results.

Multiclassing would cause balancing issues that simply could not be resolved. It caused issues in 3.5 which is why it became very limited in 4.0. Imagine it in an MMO...

It even states this right in your link. 

Classes

• Classes are divided into four roles, being defensive, offensive, area offensive and healer. A similar division existed in third edition (warrior, rogue, wizard and cleric), but it’s more pronounced.
    • Multiclassing is limited. A feat lets you take a class ability of another class, but you can’t take levels in separate classes. This may be remedied in a further expansion.
    • All classes have numerous combat abilities, or “powers”. “Powers” is a general term for a wizard’s spells, a fighter’s combat techniques (like Cleave), and so on.
    I never claimed its the exact 4th edition, I said it represented it well and I and even Cryptic has aknowledged using a revised version of 4th edition rules. The revisions were done mainly out of neccessity or due to limitations. 

You can't tell me that you can't see a mage that teleports, nukes, and stealths as a balancing nightmare in an MMO... 
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

I think it will be worth the box price (which is free) to try it out.

I do like the forgotten realms, and loved biowares game back in the day, and as its only going to cost me disc space, it will be worth a go.

Limiting the classes doesn't bother me that much, the game is free, they need to make money somehow and selling classes is one way to do that.

The thing I don't like is not being able to cast while moving, I dont mind that for channeled and cast time abilities but looking at the tb vid, its even instant casts and your basic attacks that root you, its one of my main gripes with combat in tera too

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by deakon

I do like the forgotten realms, and loved biowares game back in the day, and as its only going to cost me disc space, it will be worth a go.

Limiting the classes doesn't bother me that much, the game is free, they need to make money somehow and selling classes is one way to do that.

The thing I don't like is not being able to cast while moving, I dont mind that for channeled and cast time abilities but looking at the tb vid, its even instant casts and your basic attacks that root you, its one of my main gripes with combat in tera too

Yeesh, I hope that is fixed in short order. Rooted when attacking and even on instant casts? Sounds messy. Still gonna give this one a shot though even if it's a long shot.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Hmm, the vids I've seen had players casting and moving at the same time. Could you link me to the vid that had them rooted while casting? That does concern me a bit. 

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by deakon I think it will be worth the box price (which is free) to try it out.   I do like the forgotten realms, and loved biowares game back in the day, and as its only going to cost me disc space, it will be worth a go. Limiting the classes doesn't bother me that much, the game is free, they need to make money somehow and selling classes is one way to do that. The thing I don't like is not being able to cast while moving, I dont mind that for channeled and cast time abilities but looking at the tb vid, its even instant casts and your basic attacks that root you, its one of my main gripes with combat in tera too
    Hmm, the vids I've seen had players casting and moving at the same time. Could you link me to the vid that had them rooted while casting? That does concern me a bit. 

sure here you go :) link

The dev even mentions in the vid that some classes could move and cast up until recently but they decided to change it so you have to stop to cast :(

Edit: its quite a way into the vid, skip to 31:30 if you just want the info on combat, dev talks about it in depth

Originally posted by deakon I think it will be worth the box price (which is free) to try it out.   I do like the forgotten realms, and loved biowares game back in the day, and as its only going to cost me disc space, it will be worth a go. Limiting the classes doesn't bother me that much, the game is free, they need to make money somehow and selling classes is one way to do that. The thing I don't like is not being able to cast while moving, I dont mind that for channeled and cast time abilities but looking at the tb vid, its even instant casts and your basic attacks that root you, its one of my main gripes with combat in tera too

sure here you go :) link

The dev even mentions in the vid that some classes could move and cast up until recently but they decided to change it so you have to stop to cast :(

Edit: its quite a way into the vid, skip to 31:30 if you just want the info on combat, dev talks about it in depth

Ouch, that sucks :(   I liked the combat up until that point lol...  thanks for the link. 

• sea.shellsea.shell Member Posts: 63

Multiclassing would cause balancing issues that simply could not be resolved. It caused issues in 3.5 which is why it became very limited in 4.0. Imagine it in an MMO...

It even states this right in your link.  Classes

• Classes are divided into four roles, being defensive, offensive, area offensive and healer. A similar division existed in third edition (warrior, rogue, wizard and cleric), but it’s more pronounced. Multiclassing is limited. A feat lets you take a class ability of another class, but you can’t take levels in separate classes. This may be remedied in a further expansion. All classes have numerous combat abilities, or “powers”. “Powers” is a general term for a wizard’s spells, a fighter’s combat techniques (like Cleave), and so on.
    I never claimed its the exact 4th edition, I said it represented it well and I and even Cryptic has aknowledged using a revised version of 4th edition rules. The revisions were done mainly out of neccessity or due to limitations.    You can't tell me that you can't see a mage that teleports, nukes, and stealths as a balancing nightmare in an MMO... 

But that is exactly my point? Because they choose a generic MMO Class system and not the (4e) D&D system, cryptic would have the very "balance issues" with (limited) multiclassing you said.
    Making overspecialized and "broken" builds is part of D&D. The choice to not even allow limited weapon types for one "class" couldn't be a better indicator.

Hence, it's generic MMO classes not D&D. Actually calling it "generic MMO" isn't right either.
    In generic MMOs (se my list in the signature as example) a Tank Class could still choose between sword & board or Two Handed weapons.

This is even more limiting. Still, and for the record, it can be a great game despite that.

Playing: EVE Online
    Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
    WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Some people coming too conclusion that this game will fail because of lack of classes? Last i check this game is still in CB T and not OBT, once this game release for OBT then u can make judgement.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This has nothing to do with Black Isle's game.

I know it has been implied otherwise, that this is a 'spiritual successor' or whatever, but it isn't.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sea.shell

After gathering a lot of information myself, i have to write, NW may not be a bad game. It may also be fun. But it will have a hard burden due to the fact that the whole "CLASS" system isn't D&D.

It shares the names, but it really is just a generic MMO shell setup. The lack of icnoic classes like Monks & Druids or Rangers or Paladins or Bards ("at the start" - promises again, sight...) isn't even the issue. It's that these classes are nothing more than premade shells shoehorned into a weapontype and combat style while the original didn't do any of those.

Dex Based small weapon warriors with high AB but low damage. Dualwield melee Rangers (not the bow guys at all). Multiclassing Ranger with druids for pet carnage and heals. Plate Armor wearing cleric fortresses who where immortals between undead types or debuff / buff control clerics - Illusionary mages who where all about avoiding fights - the deathmagic nukers and mind magic stunners - The 1000 arcane missile rogues (scrolls & robes) - The unstoppable monks, the brawlers.....

^ that all is not possible and will never be unless cryptic reworks their "class" design from the ground up. The classes are just MMO role shells with random D&D names slapped over it.

If one can accept that, this may even be a great game. I personally have to see if ican find (for my preferences) a "fitting class" , i was all for going to be a cleric in platemail and with a two handed mace knocking undead over and standing kneel deep in lich skulls.

That's not possible :( The "Devoted Cleric" is your generic MMO healer with chain visuals but squishiness like any robe wearer.

Maybe i will like the "trickster rogue", despite thinking having dualwield with shadow dancer isn't the best idea for a build and especially for a preset build :)

Good post

agree its a good post

thank you Sea.shell for describing the design issues

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Astraeis
    This is my chance to call you crazy. :)

The world feels vey confined to me, much like DDO felt confined. The combat feels restricted too. The game gives me a claustrophobic feeling. It is not my kind of game for sure. I prefer my mmorpg's to be wide open worlds.

Yeah, that's something you're either going to hate or be indifferent about here.  It definitely doesn't have a "big world" feel.  It is after all about Neverwinter and rebuilding the city mainly.  There are "open" adventure areas, but the crux of the game seems to be in the city.

Just like City of Heroes and Champions Online.  It would seem to either be a glaring weakness of their game engine that they can't stop regurgitating for every single project or it's a weakness of their development techniques and they are incapable of creating a real MMO world.  Either way, Cryptic's games have yet to win me over, but then again, I didn't jump into the MMO genre to play glorified arcade games either.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The game could very well possibly suck ... who knows until closer to release and with plenty of testing.

However ...

The game is based on 4th edition D&D rules. There are only a few core classes in that version of the game with ways to differentiate yourself later. You still however only start out in the very few core classes.

Whining about how few classes there are only reveals your ignorance to the system it is based off of. Personally as a rpg game I found 4e to be a total piece of shit (and so did most others seeing how they jumped ship to Pathfinder using a modified 3.5 ruleset). It is a systesm designed for miniature sales and porting to video games and not for actual roleplay. But for now:

4e D&D has only a few core classes. Neverwinter will only have a few core classes. You pick your specialization options after creation. No point in whining about it. That is how it works.

You stay sassy!

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Wrong, they are pale shadows of 4e, mostly just in nam. eYou don't hack and slash for 20+ rounds per monster for hundreds of damage at low level while mostly autohitting and spaming heals to collect magic items that always drop every dungeon. This is nothing like any form of D&D, stop pretending you know anything about pnp because it's obvious you do not.

What the above sounds like is a tera/wow ripoff which is exactly what this game is and you know what, that's fine. The problem is Cryptic had the audacity to put a D&D name on it, let alone Neverwinter. Fortunately for them this isn't the first time this has happened. All kinds of hell was raised when Turbine stained the world with a pestilence known as DDO, a game which is so terrible many nerds don't even know what that acronym stands for.

Just highlighted the points where you truly showed you don't know WTF you're talking about.  Tell me, when you played a Against the Giants, and killed Snurre - did he not drop the same loot every time? (it was a big ass flaming sword, wasn't it?)

I don't like the inflation of the numbers (or the size of some of the weapons), but in the videos the regular mob fights don't last 20 rounds.  The boss fight may last longer, but time wise it's shorter in the MMO than a PNP session, and they're about the same duration as a Neverwinter Nights boss fight, clerics in 4ED certainly can spam heals, it's called an "at will power" which is exactly what Cryptic implemented.  Look it up.  Level 1 cleric at will, Sacred Flame and twice per encounter Healing Word.

This is the 4th Neverwinter game.  Neverwinter was nothing until online CPRG's - it's not like they're using Greyhawk or something.  The first Neverwinter game was just a copy and paste job of the "Gold Box" games - really pretty crappy, except it was sort of MMOish in that you could do it online.  The 2nd game reinvited to make it a cooperative RPG, the third followed the 2nd, and this is simply a different expereince, just like Neverwinter was different from Neverwinter Nights.

You're pretty obviously stuck in the mindset of "I want another NeverWinter Nights  with 3rd Edition Rules and Turned Based (pausible) content, if it's not that game, it's not D&D".  That's silly and ignorant, and not based in history or anything.

Originally posted by Valoreah

Originally posted by Ghern

I never played STO. When people said instanced I assumed that meant zoned off areas where it was not an entire open world. Do you mean you sit in one town and just portal to an instance some where? If that is the case I will be sorely disappointed. That reminds me of sitting in Stormwind and just queuing for LFD? Very boring in my opinion.  

"Instancing" means the world is broken up into smaller chunks. It's not like it is in WoW where you can travel from one end of a realm to the other without a load screen. In STO, each Sector Block is it's own instance, so as you cross the border from one sector to the next, you'll encounter a load screen. You'll also encounter load screens when transporting to/from your ship, and to/from missions. Needless to say, there are A LOT of load screens in Cryptic games. It's the same for Champions Online as well.

Also, most all PvE encounters (eg. Dungeons) are in a queue system. So yes, you can just sit on your ship or in one of the stations and queue up for an instance. You'll be returned to wherever you started from once the encounter is over. It can be quite boring.

Hope that helps. :)

That's sort of correct.  Each sector is actually a zone.  As you travel through them, everyone has access to them and people can mingle.  The instancing takes place by population levels, as each zone can only handle having 50 to 100 players each, then the server creates a separate instance and forces any new travellers to this new virtual zone and while you won't see any of the people from the original zone, you can still speak to them with the general chat channel and you can still meet up with friends by switching instances manually.  Instances are also used to create private zones that only you and your party can enter, like they do for most of the missions in game.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I'm sorry but do people think their random Reviews and opinions actually have a effect on the playerbase. speically people who Arent actually working for MMORPG.COM.

Sorry but if we actually listened to random peoples reviews no one would be playing a single MMO on the market since no matter what you do this websites Subscribers HATE everything released with a firey passion. The only exception is when the 2 or 3 positive threads come out and they become troll bait.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

This game is looking good in my opinion, which is subjective of course because i am big fan of D&D, faerun and especially Neverwinter itself.

That being said, the lack of iconic classes such as Paladin, Ranger, Battle Cleric etc...disturbs me a lot.

Originally posted by Tamanous

The game could very well possibly suck ... who knows until closer to release and with plenty of testing.

However ...

The game is based on 4th edition D&D rules. There are only a few core classes in that version of the game with ways to differentiate yourself later. You still however only start out in the very few core classes.

Whining about how few classes there are only reveals your ignorance to the system it is based off of. Personally as a rpg game I found 4e to be a total piece of shit (and so did most others seeing how they jumped ship to Pathfinder using a modified 3.5 ruleset). It is a systesm designed for miniature sales and porting to video games and not for actual roleplay. But for now:

4e D&D has only a few core classes. Neverwinter will only have a few core classes. You pick your specialization options after creation. No point in whining about it. That is how it works.

Here's the official list of 4E classes from the Player's Handbooks.

Player's Handbook Classes
    Class Power Source Role
    Cleric Divine Leader
    Fighter Martial Defender
    Paladin Divine Defender
    Ranger Martial Striker
    Rogue Martial Striker
    Warlock Arcane Striker
    Warlord Martial Leader
    Wizard Arcane Controller

Player's Handbook 2 Classes
    Class Power Source Role
    Avenger Divine Striker
    Barbarian Primal Striker
    Bard Arcane Leader
    Druid Primal Controller
    Invoker Divine Controller
    Shaman Primal Leader
    Sorcerer Arcane Striker
    Warden Primal Defender

Player's Handbook 3 Classes
    Class Power Source Role
    Ardent Psionic Leader
    Battlemind Psionic Defender
    Monk Psionic Striker
    Psion Psionic Controller
    Runepriest Divine Leader
    Seeker Primal Controller

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

i dont care what anybody says this game is gonna rock!!!!!!

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Rayshe

I'm sorry but do people think their random Reviews and opinions actually have a effect on the playerbase. speically people who Arent actually working for MMORPG.COM.

Sorry but if we actually listened to random peoples reviews no one would be playing a single MMO on the market since no matter what you do this websites Subscribers HATE everything released with a firey passion. The only exception is when the 2 or 3 positive threads come out and they become troll bait.

lol so true been almost 9 years on this site for me haha never changes.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    its really sad when we see a deep fantasy world with an amazing lore reduced to an shallow arcade game with a cash shop. why corrupt the IP like that? just create or use another gaarbage IP... we are indeed living in the dark age of criativity,  more than half kids here have to clue of what D & D really is and the idea behind.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    its really sad when we see a deep fantasy world with an amazing lore reduced to an shallow arcade game with a cash shop. why corrupt the IP like that? just create or use another gaarbage IP... we are indeed living in the dark age of criativity,  more than half kids here have to clue of what D & D really is and the idea behind.

My thoughts exactly. The game deserves more than a low budget F2P cash shop style model.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

This game to me looks like it is shaping up quite nicely but I will confess the user generated content has me interested, as a potential creator of content and player of it. Although, I am not sure how they will screen it's implentation. As for the classes, they are fine with just 5 at launch. I imagine we get to roll additional characters as well, so can actually play newer classes when released. But in honest, what more do you want... You have a sword and board, a two hander, spell caster, healer and a thief.

If I was playing Neverwinter nights, or Baldur's Gate or Icewind dale, that was pretty much how my party dynamic was set up. So now instead of AI I get real people to form a party with.

I will have to see how this feels when I play it to consider if its worth investing any time into, but for now. It looks fun.