Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mega servers?....I would like to know my community

2»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Comparisons to swtor are as stupid as comparisons to wow.

No mmo will ever make the money wow has.

No AAA mmo will ever be as bad as swtor, even other "bad" mmos like Aoc, war and tera and what have you have some redeeming features. Swtor is just a badly coded wow in space with all the fun bits of wow removed, nothing new to bring to the table and a huge heap of cynicism based around mugging fans of the sw ip.
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I don't see how your argument is valid here - how will there be a lack of community on a mega-server? People create communities wherever they go, it's like living in a huge city versus a small town: people in cities have communities that are just as rewarding and enjoyable as those in the small towns, despite the fact that in a city you don't know 99% of the population, whereas in a small town you know everyone.

I even see a benefit to a mega server because the chances of meeting people more like you are higher. It may take more time to get to know the "right" people, but you will and it will be just as rewarding to you in the long run. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Fact is, there is down sides to shard style servers and down sides to a mega server. I say trust that the ESO dev team have a plan and trust that they have good reasons for this move. As I already said, I think its a good move and one of the reasons I am considering this MMO. 
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Please do not be offended but it looks to me that you are the guy who likes to spam general chat with nice words. I am totaly oposite from you and yes if you want to chat with someone  find a guild, some of us like to play and not to listen daily problems of any kind
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Please do not be offended but it looks to me that you are the guy who likes to spam general chat with nice words. I am totaly oposite from you and yes if you want to chat with someone  find a guild, some of us like to play and not to listen daily problems of any kind

I'll agree with this there is a fine line between being social and airing your life story on general chat. As long as people remember general chat isn't their soapbox we will be fine :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

LOL who was this directed to?

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

To OP :)

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

(disclaimer: not directed at anyone, no intent to flame, bait or forms of insult.)

to think you Knew you're server community before/in the past is utter Bull.  you dint know anyone but you're guild mates, the worse trolls of the server and you're guild/local enemy. 90% of the other players you never meet/saw. its what 99% of the players do, Find like-minded players,  were their play styles mixes (me being 20%pvp 60%rp 20%Pve) and by the natural order of things you would meet you're Nemesis, enemy's and friend that way.  ( Most Trade is by AH or forum or in the old days NPC vendors.)

PvP player love to rush PvE get into PvP they know the other PvP players/lovers and dont give a rats ass about those weirdo's role-playing or screaming that PvE should have PvP rewards.  the only group who in general does not give a damn about anyone and is known by the whole community at large are the few main ass-hats aka Trolls.

A server community does not play together, they co-exist in a hopefully good friendly way and that makes a good community, were each game-play style is helpful to those who want to learn more about that play style.

Mega-server is not new (AoC, CO,STO,Neverwinter, wildstar,SWO) to name a few i can think of whitout checking .                         its old, only now they add a mechanic that  lets  -you-  choose what "instance"  -you-   want to play in so that  -you-  can maximize  -you're-  fun playing whit others that love to play the game like   -you-   without blocking  -you- off from other game play styles or mixes and personalities between them.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

To OP :)

Why don't you just close general chat, then you don't have to get uppity about people saying nice things.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh great anotger pious pve extremist type has deigned to come here and lighten up the forums with their amateur psychology.
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Eladi

(disclaimer: not directed at anyone, no intent to flame, bait or forms of insult.)

to think you Knew you're server community before/in the past is utter Bull.  you dint know anyone but you're guild mates, the worse trolls of the server and you're guild/local enemy. 90% of the other players you never meet/saw. its what 99% of the players do, Find like-minded players,  were their play styles mixes (me being 20%pvp 60%rp 20%Pve) and by the natural order of things you would meet you're Nemesis, enemy's and friend that way.  ( Most Trade is by AH or forum or in the old days NPC vendors.)

PvP player love to rush PvE get into PvP they know the other PvP players/lovers and dont give a rats ass about those weirdo's role-playing or screaming that PvE should have PvP rewards.  the only group who in general does not give a damn about anyone and is known by the whole community at large are the few main ass-hats aka Trolls.

A server community does not play together, they co-exist in a hopefully good friendly way and that makes a good community, were each game-play style is helpful to those who want to learn more about that play style.

Mega-server is not new (AoC, CO,STO,Neverwinter, wildstar,SWO) to name a few i can think of whitout checking .                         its old, only now they add a mechanic that  lets  -you-  choose what "instance"  -you-   want to play in so that  -you-  can maximize  -you're-  fun playing whit others that love to play the game like   -you-   without blocking  -you- off from other game play styles or mixes and personalities between them.

This post displays a fundamental lack of knowledge about social psychology.

Here is the fact. There is pros from mega server, lots of them. The same could be said for server shards. This kinda of thing comes down to the flavor of the game the developer wants to make. Cool you care enough to make a thread about it but seems to me lots of people are rdy to support TESO for the mega server. May want to put this in your list of reasons to not play the game and see if there is enough pros to play it anyways. I hope you do and love it =-)
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Azza
    It was 1500 per server in daoc, or was it per realm so 4500, can't remember. I would expect EQ and ac and what not to be similar.

When I played on Guinevere it was one of the most populated @ about 3-4k

EQ held about the same amount (3-4k) per server, as did SWG

Each server became its own microcosom. You did get to know your community very well.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Azza
    It was 1500 per server in daoc, or was it per realm so 4500, can't remember. I would expect EQ and ac and what not to be similar.

When I played on Guinevere it was one of the most populated @ about 3-4k

EQ held about the same amount (3-4k) per server, as did SWG

Each server became its own microcosom. You did get to know your community very well.

Keep in mind it's not the server number of account that is important, it's the number of people who play generally when you play.  On a more popular EQ server we probably had 1500 players playing on a Friday night.  But then when you narrow it down to people in your level range it's probably like 500, which was workable.

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92

But I cant make friends, no one likes me!!!! :(     

Make friends?

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

It is cheap and makes them more money, guess what? They don't care about you as a gamer as long as you buy the game anyway. We been doing it for 10yrs now but we don't make a stand against the companies that are just ripping us off.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

It is cheap and makes them more money, guess what? They don't care about you as a gamer as long as you buy the game anyway. We been doing it for 10yrs now but we don't make a stand against the companies that are just ripping us off.

The mega server isnt going to be cheaper, if anything it will cost more, they will still be using as many servers as a normal mmo, they're just linked in such a way that you can can play with people regardless