Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter priced to high.

Comments

• leobreleobre Member Posts: 12

Here's my take on this:

The company has the right to charge whatever they want , first of all.  We players , on the other hand, dont have to pay it.

I just dont understand why not include the beta access on the U$ 20,00 deal, thats what makes it look like a money grab to me.

If they did that people who want to try out the game without spending too much could do so , and the other 2 packs would be the luxury ones , everybody would win , everybody would be happy !

On kickstarter games thats what happens, you can donate whatever you are capable of , they dont start off asking for U$ 60,00.

Its all about good sense. As i said the company can charge whatever they want but i dont think they made the right decision here. Think about it, why not give access on the 20 bucks deal since the game is going to be free anyway ? 

The only other reason i could think of would be server traffic problems but in any case if they sell a lot of U$ 60 pakcs they will have that anyways....

Another thing they should do is come out loud announcing : " this game is not going to be pay to win !"   that  would calm everybody down. Theres no reason not to do it unless you are really not sure about it.  

If they are not sure about it just make it B2P !  Look at GW2 !   Charge something like U$ 30,00 to enter , have some luxury items on the cash shop but nothing to break the game ,and then charge again on the expansions and you wont have to worry about all this f2p crap....

Honesty is always the best option on the long run !

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Akumawraith
    Originally posted by Briansho
    The 199 pack is for the impulse purchasers who don't want to wait 3 months to get the stuff cheaper or in game. 

They have not said either way whether the founder pack items will be found on the cstore.. however if i remeber correctly in STo many things that are founder based never made it to ingame till much much later, if at all.

Ok maybe 6-12 months after release :)

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Deviron
    Originally posted by killahh
     Get a better education and a better job.

You need a better education.  If you had one you would know that statement is full of so much ignorance.

Some people cannot afford such luxuries. Kids, current status in life beyond work, and many more reasons can make it hard to spend 60$ on something they are not quite sure about.

To me its a money grab, but that is how the world works.

It's free to play.  How much of a money grab is that?

I don't get your point about people who can't afford luxuries and how unfair that is.  What's your point?

The point is that it's f2p and people are paying $200 for it and you don't even get anything in the mail..  It's the biggest mmo money grab I have ever seen.

It's the same thing as paying for a year long subscription, or even a CE from the newest MMO + six months subscription.

If you read the package description, it comes with a ton of in game store currency - which means you'll be able to get all the unlocks you want when they added more classes, adventures, areas - and all the cosmetics you want.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    $59 is pretty much the norm for any video game, $199 is pricey imo but it's for folks who like all the goodies, I'm glad that option makes them happy. Being ftp it's a choice I don't get the bitching, especially since people who pay any real currency are the ones funding the game. It's amazing people expect to game for 100's of hours for free and still complain. Honestly you think these people popping out games work for free?
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I agree with the OP - $200 is comical.

Yep.  This is unfortunate news.

you dont need to pay anything to play so i dont see why your whining.

I don't see why having a position that $200 for a top end F2P game pack is too much is whining.  Then again it's easier to say that than address the "issue."

Edit:

Also this top end "Founders Pack" costs more than the Collectors Editions of any WoW expansion and more than SWTOR too. 

Maybe because the games F2P and and download it cost nothing actually. Maybe becasue there are $20 and $60 packs people could also buy if they want the incentives. People that whine that they can't have the $200 pack for $20 are just that entitled winners that want it all for little to nothing. They want the game to have big budget standards but they sure as hell don't want to pay even remotely close to what most subscription or even B2P games cost.

Using your WoW example is good one, pay what $50 for the wow expansion which i assume will get you the base wow game as well. Then pay $15 a month for a year = $180 plus the $50 expansion pack cost = WoW $230 and thats if you don't buy some wow ingame cash shop mount etc..

So yeah to play WoW for a year you HAVE to pay $230 (roughly). To Play Neverwinter you HAVE to pay $0. If you want the most expensive founders pack, you know becaause getting the $20 or $60 one isn't good enough. Then yes you'll still pay less then a year of WoW and have a in game mount, companion, special race and a ton of in game money to buy cash shop items with.

Really this thread just shows that people will bitch, whine, and complain no matter what you do. If they did make the top level founders pack $20 people would still complain saying it cost more then Torchlight 2 and that someone can have something the F2P players don't, or complain saying its so cheap becasue the developers believe the games worthless.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by mikuniman
    $59 is pretty much the norm for any video game, $199 is pricey imo but it's for folks who like all the goodies, I'm glad that option makes them happy. Being ftp it's a choice I don't get the bitching, especially since people who pay any real currency are the ones funding the game. It's amazing people expect to game for 100's for free of hours and still complain. Honestly you think these people popping out games work for free?

Sadly it's something that's ridiculously common nowadays, everything has to be free - and heaven forbid that someone buys something from a store, shame on you for buying something that should've been free - and even moreso shame on the devs for selling something!  :P

Maybe they should try living off donations? But from someone else, right? Because then the arguement of these people would be "LOL, I'm not gonna give them money so that they can make games all day! Get a job you bums!"

Conclusion; the human race is doomed! ;)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    $59 is pretty much the norm for any video game, $199 is pricey imo but it's for folks who like all the goodies, I'm glad that option makes them happy. Being ftp it's a choice I don't get the bitching, especially since people who pay any real currency are the ones funding the game. It's amazing people expect to game for 100's of hours for free and still complain. Honestly you think these people popping out games work for free?

59 bucks is norm for video games that are:

A)A game that is know for its quality and for the quality of its gameplay like skyrim

B)A very hyped product like call of duty

This Neverwinter mmo does not fit in any of those categories, heck not even GW2 or SW:TOR standard packs were priced 60 bucks

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

Originally posted by dinams

A)A game that is know for its quality and for the quality of its gameplay like skyrim

This Neverwinter mmo does not fit in any of those categories, heck not even GW2 or SW:TOR standard packs were priced 60 bucks

It’s still ftp and paid packages are an option so what’s your point? Those games you mentioned a decent number of people like and are currently playing. To them it’s worth it. Quality seems to be maybe what your opinion might be, what people like when it comes to gaming is a matter of preference.  

Hype is what you make of it, it’s marketing and if it works on you them it works for gaming company. Hype, personally I like it, it gets me excited for a new title. Whether I take the plunge it’s my dollar and my consequences and I don’t beat the company up for selling me.

Do your research and then own up if you made a mistake man.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

It’s still ftp and paid packages are an option so what’s your point? Those games you mentioned a decent number of people like and are currently playing. To them it’s worth it. Quality seems to be maybe what your opinion might be, what people like when it comes to gaming is a matter of preference.  

Hype is what you make of it, it’s marketing and if it works on you them it works for gaming company. Hype, personally I like it, it gets me excited for a new title. Whether I take the plunge it’s my dollar and my consequences and I don’t beat the company up for selling me.

In your act of zealotry you just missed my point completely

I forgive you tho, you are on the little(very tiny) bandwagon that this game has

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

What is this illusion that gamers are rich?

It would have been better if they sold their VIP Founder Pack for, at most, $40.00.  Then there would have been a lot of peeps riding around on spiders and no one jealous.  Selling it a $200 is to much and stupid.  Now only a few peeps will pay $199.99 and PWE will get less money for their greed.  Guardian Pack should of been $20 and Starter Kit is garbage.

I would not go thru the torment of a beta if someone paid me; any beta.  They should have sold that separately for the masochists at any price from $600 to $60.  Let the silly rich people think they're getting a deal with beta access.  

yea right, just let em pay 200$ and dont give em shit for their money, sounds like a valid plan to me.

totaly.

or wait. not it does not.

20$ for you is too much?????  pathetic

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

What is this illusion that gamers are rich?

It would have been better if they sold their VIP Founder Pack for, at most, $40.00.  Then there would have been a lot of peeps riding around on spiders and no one jealous.  Selling it a $200 is to much and stupid.  Now only a few peeps will pay $199.99 and PWE will get less money for their greed.  Guardian Pack should of been $20 and Starter Kit is garbage.

I would not go thru the torment of a beta if someone paid me; any beta.  They should have sold that separately for the masochists at any price from $600 to $60.  Let the silly rich people think they're getting a deal with beta access.  

What illusion? There's more free to play games now than there ever were. If gamers were rich and were willing to pay higher prices, then all games would be more expensive and there would be no reason for any game to be free to play (which this game is btw). 

They selected those prices because their market research shows that people will be willing to pay them. This is an entertainment business afterall, and entertainment, especially video games, are a luxury not a necessity. Therefore it is perfectly acceptable for them to set whatever price they want and if it is not to your liking then you can simply avoid it and pursue another venue from which to get your entertainment. 

If you don't feel comfortable with those prices, even if you could afford them, then it is probably best to just avoid the game altogether. This way you save yourself time, money and frustration. If enough people do this then the company will know something was wrong with their business.

In your act of zealotry you just missed my point completely

I forgive you tho, you are on the little(very tiny) bandwagon that this game has

You're probably right I guess I don't get you, You have to admit it seems you have some real hate for this title going on.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

you dont need to pay anything to play so i dont see why your whining.

I don't see why having a position that $200 for a top end F2P game pack is too much is whining.  Then again it's easier to say that than address the "issue."

Why isn't it whining when:

a) no one is forced to pay it to play the game, and

b) you don't even have to play the game, and

c) it is a free world, why should devs be able to charge ANYTHING for their game?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by leobre

Here's my take on this:

I just dont understand why not include the beta access on the U$ 20,00 deal, thats what makes it look like a money grab to me.

Because BETA is confused with "Head Start".
  • leobreleobre Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by leobre

Here's my take on this:

Because BETA is confused with "Head Start".

So you are saying  U$60 gives headstart  but U$ 20 would be impossible ?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

as to the issue the 200 dollar package isnt  a game pack its a founder pack. which gives access to beta and gives players the abilty to get closer to the Drizzt Do'Urden Charater lore.  Its completely optional, the game is free to play and download. Theres no requirement to pay out the 20, 60 or 200 dollars for founder packs. they are completely optional. I dnt see the issue unless you are one of the gimme generation in which case id call it whining.

So they develop "Founders Packs" that noone "has" to buy and advertise it like crazy including on the Champions Online and Star Trek Online logon screens in hopes of noone buying it.

Or

They overprice them to the point of them being more expensive than any WoW Collectors Edition and the masses go nom nom nom in defense of an overpriced product.

Sounds like great marketing logic.

It is less expensive than a regular box xpac fee + a year worth of subscription to WoW.  $15 * 12 + $60 = $240.  Additionally at the end of that year you don't get to play WoW anymore if you stop paying.

Sounds like little logical thought has gone into your argument.

Wasn't talking about subscription vs F2P and was talking about and comparing buying top end products from WoW and Neverwinter which you ignored and made a post which had nothing to do with a F2P game charging more than Blizzard.

And little thought when into my argument?

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

The problem is the game is entirely free - the benefits you get from spending said $59 nets you very little. It doesn't net you the game, you already get that for free.

What if you had to pay $120 NWO to get the stuff that is $60? Would that somehow be worth it?

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

To turn that argument around, let's say I don't buy any founder packs so my cost of entry is $0, but WoW charges at least $60 as a base entry just to start playing the game, in addition to continued recurring fees and a cash shop.

actually WOW is free for the first 20 levels. So you *can* start at $0.

But the point is well taken. It is silly to complain about how a FREE-to-play game is priced. Don't like the price, don't pay it. No one is forcing you.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Let the silly rich people think they're getting a deal with beta access.

In general, people don't become rich by being "silly" with their money.  Lottery winners being the notable exception.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I agree. It is too high. In my honest opinion, it makes the company look poor. When I saw that it was Cryptic, I decided to end the curiousity.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    how is free to play priced too high?
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by muffins89
    how is free to play priced too high?

still trying to figure that out myself...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    hes talking about the founders packs and i agree they are way to high IMO . While its free to play game charging 200 bucks for a founders title mounts and other few perks is more than i would spend on a game personally but i guess some people have way more money to spend on gaming than i do. I have a decent paying job to but throwing out 200 bucks on a free to play game....i guess im just to stingy with my money.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

It's not free to play.  There is nothing free in this world.  Get used to it.  Oh, and get a better job...lol.

What I want to know is how they came up with that 549 dollar value on that 200 dollar purchase.  I can see the 200 dollars, because that (or at least 199) is pretty standard for pricing items in terms of incrimental gains.  But 549 is an odd number.  Why not just say it is a 500 dollar value, or even better a 600 dollar value.

A few worthless virtual items is worth 549 dollars?

This game will be Pay to Win, anyone who has ever played a Cryptic game or a PWE game knows exactly what I am talking about.  I look forward to reading the official forums once people actually figure out that free does not really mean free.

Now, where did I put my wallet....lol.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Doesnt anyone sell food stamps any more? I pay a ton into the system I know some one has to be selling these still. 300 dollars in food stamps = 200 for the game. Thank me later for the idea.