Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this be an MMO or MOBA?

2»

Comments

• knallpulverknallpulver Member UncommonPosts: 41

About the MOBA thing... Well just throw that out the window, that term is wrongly used here (I play Dota 2, so not that I don't like it). I do get what the OP meant though, and it's a valid concern..... But we will have to see....

Reason I'm interested in this PvP heavy idea:

Have I ever played an MMORPG with interesting PVE ? No......

Have I ever had fun playing PVP of different kinds, in an MMORPG ? Yes.....

So it's pretty easy for me to like this idea..... It's not that I don't want PVE, but it has been the same for over 10 years now, and it sucks.... so unless some sponsor approves a big budget project that does something new.... I would rather have them spend the time on something that I find fun, witch is PVP......

That being said.... if you focus this heavily on PVP, then you have to bring something new to the table too.... cause while I have had fun playing PVP in some games.... it don't last long if there are nothing more around it.....

But in the end..... We have to find out more about the game before judging, and if you don't like PVP centric games, then just don't follow the game ! He said that not everyone would like it......

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    This will be something that is 4 years away. No need to start making toon names, making threads, making anything for a LONG time. People get a dabble of something and run with it. YEARS folks- YEARS,
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I think it will be more like a fantasy based Planetside actually, perhaps with less of the FPS aspect in the combat.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by meddyck

It's not a MOBA at all. There are no instanced arenas. The sides aren't forced to have even numbers. It'll be a persistent open world PvP zone with 3 sides with several thousand players per server (exact number depends on how big fights the graphics engine can handle). But unlike games like DAOC and WAR, there won't be any PvE. So you won't have to level to 50 in PvE areas before you can go RvR and you won't have to kill epic PvE mobs to gear up your characters. There undoubtedly will be some form of character progression but how it works isn't clear yet.

There's no announced plans for any PvE. But I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually makes it live and is successful, that they add PvE in later expansions.

Can you provide a link to this information?  I have looked around quite a bit and can not seem to nail down any solid information to back up what you are saying here.  Not calling you a liar or anything like that, but you know, the interwebs where anyone can be an experton anything...just ask them.

Anyway, a link to where you got this information would be great.  If that can't happen, no big deal I will just write it off to hopeful speculation and await word from the producers.

Basically I'm extrapolating from Jacobs' interviews which you can find here and at other main MMO sites that the game will be very similar to DAOC or WAR with the PvE removed. Certainly there's nothing that indicates CU will be closer to LoL than DAOC.

So no solid information at all then.  Especially considering he has not even begun coding the game.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I think it will be more like a fantasy based Planetside actually, perhaps with less of the FPS aspect in the combat.

Everything I have read/heard/been told thus far indicates this.  A bit more MMO feel (housing, craftign, etc) but basically smashing heads for fun and profit.  And hey really nothing at all wrong with that if that is the direction this game takes.  

However, let's be honest, as I stated in a previous post by all indications this is still in the idea phase, so anything spoken about at this point could be wildly off mark.  Or spot on.  No one on this forum can say for sure at this time.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by redcapp

I know.. it's a MMOBA!

Seriously though, from what limited info we have so far, I am disappointed.  I wouldn't have given DAoC a second glance if you just jumped straight to RvR on the first day.

Your not alone and i hope they decide to extend development by a few years to include pve. Sadly this doesn't look likely.

Im sure the pvp players will love the idea initially, but longevity? Im not convinced.

PlanetSide 1 had no PvE and it's still running. It all depends on how varied and polished the RvR is.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How's it not a MMO?

You don't have to have pve to be a mmo.

It's the rpg part that's missing not the mmo part.

Kinda the opposite of all these lobby and instance games like wow, swtor and tsw.

Have you not read the thread about MMOs being "worlds" and not games?  That would answer your question as to what most here perceive a true MMORPG to be.  Living breathing worlds that we partake in.  Not this semi MMORPG crap we've been getting for the past 8 years. 

A PVP only MMO to me is just another version of an online FPS and isn't why I play this genre at all, even though I enjoy PVP as an addition to the genre, not the sole focus.

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by elocke

Have you not read the thread about MMOs being "worlds" and not games?  That would answer your question as to what most here perceive a true MMORPG to be.  Living breathing worlds that we partake in.  Not this semi MMORPG crap we've been getting for the past 8 years. 

A PVP only MMO to me is just another version of an online FPS and isn't why I play this genre at all, even though I enjoy PVP as an addition to the genre, not the sole focus.

Well that is totally fine of course, but maybe Camelot Unchained just won´t be a game for you then. I see no problem with that. Especially the goal to satisfy everyone out there is the main reason why so many games suck despite their promises. Since World of Warcraft too many players think, that every new game should be catering to their needs. Not that I assume you do too. But why is that so? Isn´t it enough if everyone - including the developement studios - are happy and satisfied somewhere?

I see no point in uniting the whole mmo-playerbase at once. Everyone has its own preferences and it is a lot easier to live up to them, if we have several really awesome, well-functioning and profitable games out there, than just a few big-budget all in one blockbuster, that "everyone" is playing for a while and then craving for something better.

Just my 2 cents

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• shaodrinshaodrin Member UncommonPosts: 30
    just make the pvp zone a "living breathing" world (wow saying hugh amounts of ppl online is the same like a "living breathing" world)  and not this instanced w/e crap most of the newer mmos got and there u are ... makeing the world interesting doesnt means it has to be a pve world