Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG-Fan

13»

Comments

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Played SWG since beta and frankly......Screw SWG so damn sick of hearing about that game. You know i used to think it was so so so so so so so so so good then i started playing again with the SWGemu and wow, man i just realized how many times i quit that game and came back during live and it all flooded back to me....the game was so so. I much preferred teh vanguard crafting to SWG anyways. FLAME ON

ROFL. 

For me the game had its good points and its bad points. There are some posters here who are wearing very thick rose colored glasses when talking abot that game. I was there during all of it's phases and the complaints on their forums about it's problems were more rancorous than anything I've seen in any game. I do think the crafting, cities and profession system PRe-NGE were it's best parts and is what's mostly missed by many of us who played it. 

People cried pre-NGE and were quitting due to it being too grindy. So, SOE changed it to the NGE and people cried that it wasn't pre-NGE...go figure. I personally preferred the NGE game play. I played it daily for 6 years and never once got burned out with it. It had so much to keep you interested in it.

The people who were complaining about it being too grindy had already left to play WOW and EQ2. The people that were left were happy with the game and just wanted SOE to fix the bugs and introduce some new quests. They didn't want the entire game turned into a WOW clone. 

I didn't leave it and I thought it was way too grindy. Are you trying to tell me that the holo grind was good?

I never did the holo-grind ... i was perfectly happy with my creature handler.

SWG was a game of choices, nobody forced you to do the holo-grind :)

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by MarlonB
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Played SWG since beta and frankly......Screw SWG so damn sick of hearing about that game. You know i used to think it was so so so so so so so so so good then i started playing again with the SWGemu and wow, man i just realized how many times i quit that game and came back during live and it all flooded back to me....the game was so so. I much preferred teh vanguard crafting to SWG anyways. FLAME ON

ROFL. 

For me the game had its good points and its bad points. There are some posters here who are wearing very thick rose colored glasses when talking abot that game. I was there during all of it's phases and the complaints on their forums about it's problems were more rancorous than anything I've seen in any game. I do think the crafting, cities and profession system PRe-NGE were it's best parts and is what's mostly missed by many of us who played it. 

People cried pre-NGE and were quitting due to it being too grindy. So, SOE changed it to the NGE and people cried that it wasn't pre-NGE...go figure. I personally preferred the NGE game play. I played it daily for 6 years and never once got burned out with it. It had so much to keep you interested in it.

The people who were complaining about it being too grindy had already left to play WOW and EQ2. The people that were left were happy with the game and just wanted SOE to fix the bugs and introduce some new quests. They didn't want the entire game turned into a WOW clone. 

I didn't leave it and I thought it was way too grindy. Are you trying to tell me that the holo grind was good?

I never did the holo-grind ... i was perfectly happy with my creature handler.

SWG was a game of choices, nobody forced you to do the holo-grind :)

But, but, light sabers make the COOLEST noise *shhooooooommmmm*

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

coming from someone who played swg from beta for over 6 years, the game had its high points and low points. And yes I am sick of the constant SWG comparisons. I loved crafting in SWG, i had 2 crafting toons (chef and droid engineer), and hope to see something like it again, but there are other games with different types of crafting pther than the point and click WoW type. Just have to broaden your horizons.

And Jedi/hologrind is what killed swg. Never EVER should have been introduced.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by miagisan

coming from someone who played swg from beta for over 6 years, the game had its high points and low points. And yes I am sick of the constant SWG comparisons. I loved crafting in SWG, i had 2 crafting toons (chef and droid engineer), and hope to see something like it again, but there are other games with different types of crafting pther than the point and click WoW type. Just have to broaden your horizons.

What killed SWG was the combat upgrade patch, where everyone could suddenly become a jedi.

So much crap, so little quality.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by Hodo

What killed SWG was the combat upgrade patch, where everyone could suddenly become a jedi.

no it wasnt the CU ... that was the NGE. Frankly i thought the CU was the best part of the game. No more godly TKA/Swordsman/doc

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

no it wasnt the CU ... that was the NGE. Frankly i thought the CU was the best part of the game. No more godly TKA/Swordsman/doc

Agreed. I thought the CU was just the right balance. They should have left the core game alone after that and moved forward with adding content such as they did with Kashyyk and Mustafaar. But then they f*cked it all up with the NGE.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Agreed. I thought the CU was just the right balance. They should have left the core game alone after that and moved forward with adding content such as they did with Kashyyk and Mustafaar. But then they f*cked it all up with the NGE.

That's exactly how I felt about the CU and about the whole SWG fiasco. All they had to do was continuously work to fix the bugs and the broken professions and add content. If they would have done that instead of going the NGE route, I'm pretty sure SWG would still be around. I know personally, the guild I was in had some people quit when the CU came. But after they tried it out and saw that it was still workable, they came back. When the NGE hit, the guild all but died out in one night. Everyone went to WoW.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ericlatrelle

That's exactly how I felt about the CU and about the whole SWG fiasco. All they had to do was continuously work to fix the bugs and the broken professions and add content. If they would have done that instead of going the NGE route, I'm pretty sure SWG would still be around. I know personally, the guild I was in had some people quit when the CU came. But after they tried it out and saw that it was still workable, they came back. When the NGE hit, the guild all but died out in one night. Everyone went to WoW.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to my guild, and 5 other associated guilds of ours.

That's why I always thought that the NGE benefited WoW because they got to absorb a lot of NGE-SWG leavers.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by ericlatrelle

That's pretty much exactly what happened to my guild, and 5 other associated guilds of ours.

That's why I always thought that the NGE benefited WoW because they got to absorb a lot of NGE-SWG leavers.

Same here. We had a nice city right behind Besitne that became a ghost town after the NGE hit. The quild and city leaders went to Second Life but most went to WOW. It's the only reason I ever gave WOW a shot. I figured that if the game I'm playing is going to change into WOW, might as well try out the real thing. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TrappinTrappin Member UncommonPosts: 66

The key to SWG crafting was monitoring resource pops 24/7. When the godly stuff spawned, the race was on. The sole purpose of the action being summed up thusly: cockblocking the competition; monopoly.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Originally posted by joshuahalls

Kay is part of our team and doing a lot of resource/recipe work so is fairly well versed in what is going on behind the scenes with the system.  We don't have an identical system to SWG or Vanguard, but have taken a look at many of the crafting systems out there and added a little bit here and there to get to where we are now which is a very robust system that can be simple to use and at the same time very complex such as the creation of fittings.  We should have a very detailed attribute writeup for resources out here in the next few days with a lot of the nitty gritty of how that system works.

That right there is a big warning sign for me because I'm looking forward to crafting in your game.

Complex crafting is welcome but "simple to use"? I've seen crafting fail in almost every other MMO for being simple to use because what good is crafting if everyone else and their mom has an alt crafter? It's not fun if you're doing it for yourself only. It ruins the whole economic aspect and makes vendors useless. Not to mention with so many crafters around fairly soon everyone will have high end gear (crafted by themselves or their guild mates). For crafting this is a recipe for disaster from what I've seen in other MMOs.

SWG was the only  MMO where I enjoyed crafting not only for being complex but also for being meaningful. It was inaccessible to anyone not willing to commit enough time and effort into it so they prefferd buying at vendors instead. It kept economy alive and crafters motivated (entertained) while competition kept prices at fair levels. Thats why you hear nothing but praise about crafting in SWG.

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by SanHor

Kay is part of our team and doing a lot of resource/recipe work so is fairly well versed in what is going on behind the scenes with the system.  We don't have an identical system to SWG or Vanguard, but have taken a look at many of the crafting systems out there and added a little bit here and there to get to where we are now which is a very robust system that can be simple to use and at the same time very complex such as the creation of fittings.  We should have a very detailed attribute writeup for resources out here in the next few days with a lot of the nitty gritty of how that system works.

That right there is a big warning sign for me because I'm looking forward to crafting in your game.

Complex crafting is welcome but "simple to use"? I've seen crafting fail in almost every other MMO for being simple to use because what good is crafting if everyone else and their mom has an alt crafter? It's not fun if you're doing it for yourself only. It ruins the whole economic aspect and makes vendors useless. Not to mention with so many crafters around fairly soon everyone will have high end gear (crafted by themselves or their guild mates). For crafting this is a recipe for disaster from what I've seen in other MMOs.

SWG was the only  MMO where I enjoyed crafting not only for being complex but also for being meaningful. It was inaccessible to anyone not willing to commit enough time and effort into it so they prefferd buying at vendors instead. It kept economy alive and crafters motivated (entertained) while competition kept prices at fair levels. Thats why you hear nothing but praise about crafting in SWG.

You are seemingly reading too much into a single statement. Crafting in SWG was very simple to use for the lesser items, whilst complexity grew with new schematics.

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by SanHor

If you're concerned, or would like to know more, I suggest reading the recent releases on crafting in Repop:

Resource Attribute System: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/game-features/crafting/crafting-attribute-system

Crafting Interdependence: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/95-crafting-interdependence

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Originally posted by DrinkFeck

You are seemingly reading too much into a single statement. Crafting in SWG was very simple to use for the lesser items, whilst complexity grew with new schematics.

I probably am. Nvm then lets wait and see. :)

• ArtluArtlu Member Posts: 3
    The June update is very much SWG like!