Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Mondo80

How many classes do you need?  STO has 3, oh wait you guys hate that game and by proxy this one because Cryptic also made it.  EVE has one class that can do anything and probably less content than STO. 

If it's because it's free to play with an OPTIONAL cash shop that will most likely have a way to earn Zen in game, ...

It has not release yet.  Prejudging at this point is just stupid.

Suggest you brush up on the D&D and classes.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94

How many classes do you need?  STO has 3, oh wait you guys hate that game and by proxy this one because Cryptic also made it.  EVE has one class that can do anything and probably less content than STO. 

If it's because it's free to play with an OPTIONAL cash shop that will most likely have a way to earn Zen in game, ...

Name one good craptic game

Originally posted by jayfeeler69

Champions Online.  if you look at my post history I've always said this game is a hidden gem.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

dont know a company by craptic, however Cryptic has STO and Neverwinter now.. so theres two.. you may not be a trekkie but that doesnt make the game bad.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

While it's subjective, City of Heroes was pretty good.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227

Why take a beloved IP and DnD, make a game that has nothing to to do with either, and call it Neverwinter DnD? Dear god I fucking hate Cryptic, and after the STO fuck up where two factions were gonna fight it out bullshit.. Instenced crap, I'm so pissed off I cant spell.

How does this shit fuck company get all the great IP's? Dear god, imagine if they got the Elderscrolls. What a batshitgoatfuckcataSTOphe that would be...

Ok, I feel better now..

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Call me crazy, but if a game's fun, it's fun.  I disagree with the OP's outright dislike for a game he may not have played yet, but he's right about a couple things.

Neverwinter is fun, but it DOES need more classes, and more D&D-like functions.  But it's definitely enjoyable to play, that I can attest to after last night.    There were quests I played off-stream that had traps to disarm, but why weren't they in the group-centric dungeon?

The classes and races selection are definitely the weak spot for me, but so far, it's looking good. IF you can get past that it's not going to be the PnP game in MMO form, as no one ever said it was.

I can fully understand the idea that the most important thing is that the game is fun. Seems quite logical. Wish more gaming companies in general would start their planning around this rule.

I will argue however that if the game is fun even if it barely gives a nod to the franchise name its licenced to, then it didn't really need to be associated to that franchise in the first place. And could have instead stood on its own two feet. So the only reason they seem to be using the name is to get the attention of Neverwinter fans who most likely are going to be bitterly dissapointed if the game hardly resembles the game world they wanted to play in.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

Originally posted by Fishmitts

Why take a beloved IP and DnD, make a game that has nothing to to do with either, and call it Neverwinter DnD? Dear god I ******* hate Cryptic, and after the STO **** up where two factions were gonna fight it out ********.. Instenced crap, I'm so pissed off I cant spell.

How does this **** **** company get all the great IP's? Dear god, imagine if they got the Elderscrolls. What a bat****goat****cataSTOphe that would be...

Ok, I feel better now..

i dont know where youre going with that diatribe but from what i heard and saw in several different site videos the devs of Cryptic involved in the Neverwinter project love forgotten realms, played the PnP version of it and consulted WotC to get things right. All the videos really show is one dungeon and as Bill explains in his dungeon post:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/feature/7114/Delving-Into-The-Cloak-Tower-.html/page/1

They are very D&D oriented. the orcs are from the many-arrows tribe.. pretty much straight out of forgotten realms stories and recognizable by any who have followed the Forgotten realms.

as far as anything other than the dungeon.. well not much was shown. but thats what is so intrigueing.. They gave us a glimpse and let bits of information drop to the various press services involved. Im especially looking forward to the Foundry content and how itll affect the game directly.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    wow. just wow. saw the front page of this thread. and wow.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Call me crazy, but if a game's fun, it's fun.  I disagree with the OP's outright dislike for a game he may not have played yet, but he's right about a couple things.

Neverwinter is fun, but it DOES need more classes, and more D&D-like functions.  But it's definitely enjoyable to play, that I can attest to after last night.    There were quests I played off-stream that had traps to disarm, but why weren't they in the group-centric dungeon?

The classes and races selection are definitely the weak spot for me, but so far, it's looking good. IF you can get past that it's not going to be the PnP game in MMO form, as no one ever said it was.

I can fully understand the idea that the most important thing is that the game is fun. Seems quite logical. Wish more gaming companies in general would start their planning around this rule.

I will argue however that if the game is fun even if it barely gives a nod to the franchise name its licenced to, then it didn't really need to be associated to that franchise in the first place. And could have instead stood on its own two feet. So the only reason they seem to be using the name is to get the attention of Neverwinter fans who most likely are going to be bitterly dissapointed if the game hardly resembles the game world they wanted to play in.

Exactly

Originally posted by JimmyYO

Exactly

So shall we call it "Dudes and Dungeons?"

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Exactly

So shall we call it "Dudes and Dungeons?"

Sounds like a better idea than "Not Really but Kinda Neverwinter Online". So "Dudes and Dungeons" will work for me from now on.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by tank017

If I was a betting man,I'd bet that Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls will flop..

its what Ive come to expect from MMO's today.

I may go back to MMO's that I still enjoy,but my days of buying new ones on release are over.

As a customer,the MMO industry has pretty much lost me.

Perhaps just maybe its not the All the MMO industry, maybe just maybe its alittle bit you. You the burnt out jaded gamer you've become? Nah couldn't be but I digress, my apologies

Thanks for apologizing because yes,youre wrong.

the MMO industry has been pumping out 1 month wonders for the last decade now..

the proof is in the pudding.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

I never thought I would ever take up the bat for Cryptic, but this thread is sure making me want to.  

Now where did I leave my old Paladin armor??

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by Akumawraith

Why take a beloved IP and DnD, make a game that has nothing to to do with either, and call it Neverwinter DnD? Dear god I ******* hate Cryptic, and after the STO **** up where two factions were gonna fight it out ********.. Instenced crap, I'm so pissed off I cant spell.

How does this **** **** company get all the great IP's? Dear god, imagine if they got the Elderscrolls. What a bat****goat****cataSTOphe that would be...

Ok, I feel better now..

i dont know where youre going with that diatribe but from what i heard and saw in several different site videos the devs of Cryptic involved in the Neverwinter project love forgotten realms, played the PnP version of it and consulted WotC to get things right. All the videos really show is one dungeon and as Bill explains in his dungeon post:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/634/feature/7114/Delving-Into-The-Cloak-Tower-.html/page/1

They are very D&D oriented. the orcs are from the many-arrows tribe.. pretty much straight out of forgotten realms stories and recognizable by any who have followed the Forgotten realms.

as far as anything other than the dungeon.. well not much was shown. but thats what is so intrigueing.. They gave us a glimpse and let bits of information drop to the various press services involved. Im especially looking forward to the Foundry content and how itll affect the game directly.

Its the same SHITTY ASS ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!! This company LIED about STO and what it entailed. Period. I dont have a short memory, but I can see, many do. Cryptic=Suck. Edit: And I fully think you know where I'm going on this "Diatribe". Let's not play stupid.

Ok, I feel better now..

Its the same SHITTY ASS ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!! This company LIED about STO and what it entailed. Period. I dont have a short memory, but I can see, many do. Cryptic=Suck. Edit: And I fully think you know where I'm going in this "Diatribe". Let's not play stupid.

I have no intention of playing stupid, you hate Cryptic.. thats your problem not mine. I play STo and happen to like it, yes there are things cryptic could fix and they are taking thier time in doing so, but that has nothing to do with Neverwinter. In fact the Devs went out of thier way in trying to get this game to be as accurate as they could to Forgotten Realms. They love the genre and contacted WotC for consultations. And WotC worked with them.. Cryptic is tied up with the license holder for startrek and have to consult them on anything doing with the canon of Startrek. so yeah its a pain waiting for them to do anything in STO. However WotC is more than happy to help in the development of Neverwinter. I can see great things coming to This game. Can Cryptic disappoint? sure.. its not unheard of.. but the devs have followed Forgotten Realms in PnP form for years and are doing what they love... that should say something.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

And you know this for a fact?

If not, i see just you starting a hypetrain......nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by oubers
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

Actually the lead Designer for Cryptic on Neverwinter stated clearly there will be more classes released in the future including the possibility of a ranger class and a plate wearing cleric. Whether they will be in patches or full blown expansions remains to be seen. of course if they put the new classes on the Cstore i wont complain.. a company needs to make money and the game is being given to players for free with no sub.

Ok, I feel better now..

Its the same SHITTY ASS ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!! This company LIED about STO and what it entailed. Period. I dont have a short memory, but I can see, many do. Cryptic=Suck. Edit: And I fully think you know where I'm going in this "Diatribe". Let's not play stupid.

I have no intention of playing stupid, you hate Cryptic.. thats your problem not mine. I play STo and happen to like it, yes there are things cryptic could fix and they are taking thier time in doing so, but that has nothing to do with Neverwinter. In fact the Devs went out of thier way in trying to get this game to be as accurate as they could to Forgotten Realms. They love the genre and contacted WotC for consultations. And WotC worked with them.. Cryptic is tied up with the license holder for startrek and have to consult them on anything doing with the canon of Startrek. so yeah its a pain waiting for them to do anything in STO. However WotC is more than happy to help in the development of Neverwinter. I can see great things coming to This game. Can Cryptic disappoint? sure.. its not unheard of.. but the devs have followed Forgotten Realms in PnP form for years and are doing what they love... that should say something.

If your having fun thats great! But the game was supposed to be Klingon vs. the idiots. Thats how it was pushed. It was faction vs. faction, but what happened? Fucking instanced shit is what happened. Read the box art, complete bullshit. Whatever, I'm waiting for DayZSA and TESO. Fuck cryptic.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Ghern

I was disappointed that during his hour long video Total Biscuit never asked about exploring the world or crafting.

Guess I will have to wait for that info.

Crafting is still in the design phase and there are persistent zones to explore.

As I said though, do not expect this to be a Skyrim/ESO/GW2 style explorable world.  The persistent zones are smallish is nature and there is quit a bit of zoning and instanced content that plays off these zones.  This isn't that type of game, it is first and foremost a hack-n-slash style action game with heavy emphasis on running dungeons an d collecting loot.  Think of it as a Diablo or Torchlight style game but with WASD movement and hotbar based skill combat. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

Actually the lead Designer for Cryptic on Neverwinter stated clearly there will be more classes released in the future including the possibility of a ranger class and a plate wearing cleric. Whether they will be in patches or full blown expansions remains to be seen. of course if they put the new classes on the Cstore i wont complain.. a company needs to make money and the game is being given to players for free with no sub.

i am just saying that companies don't always deliver on what they say in beta.......prove me wrong.

I hope they can keep the fans happy.....personally i am not touching this game with a stick......not my kinda game.

(don't be confused....i didn't say this game sucks, i just stated that i dont like it.....that's all).

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Ghern

I was disappointed that during his hour long video Total Biscuit never asked about exploring the world or crafting.

Guess I will have to wait for that info.

Crafting is still in the design phase and there are persistent zones to explore.

As I said though, do not expect this to be a Skyrim/ESO/GW2 style explorable world.  The persistent zones are smallish is nature and there is quit a bit of zoning and instanced content that plays off these zones.  This isn't that type of game, it is first and foremost a hack-n-slash style action game with heavy emphasis on running dungeons an d collecting loot.  Think of it as a Diablo or Torchlight style game but with WASD movement and hotbar based skill combat. 

it is based off dungeons and dragons.. so yeah alot of dungeons and hack and slash with spells blastin in is what id expect.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Of course they are going to add new classes and races.  They need things for people to spend money on:)

i expect a LoL business model on that end.

i am just saying that companies don't always deliver on what they say in beta.......prove me wrong.

I hope they can keep the fans happy.....personally i am not touching this game with a stick......not my kinda game.

(don't be confused....i didn't say this game sucks, i just stated that i dont like it.....that's all).

i understand what youre saying and cryptic has failed in the past to bring stuff forward.. however to play devils advocate CBS hasnt been very cooperative on some things so doing certain things in STO has been hampered.. if i got the wrong broadcast company forgive me i dont care about them so i get them easily confused.

As far as the classes is Neverwinter 5 on release and they said they will add more later. considering there is alot of conent in forgotten realms we can expect alot of things to come. the game is richer in story and lore than even WoW.. done right it could be a wonderful game. but again its up to cryptic to take the reins and do it right. whether they do or not is dependant on many things. support of the Cstore from players.. the game is free to play and download so the company needs to make money somewhere.  Now as i said before the lead designer and several of his staff are avid PnP D&D/Forgotten Realms fans.. so just maybe we will see great things. cross your fingers and hope for the best.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

From what I saw so far, it looks as if its a reboot of D&D Online launch a few years ago which ended up having people quitting left and right because all you could do was being in the same city, running to npc to grab a quest, go into a cellar, go back, rinse, repeat with the only difference that instead of a cellar you had also tunnels, partially caves (underground of the city) and such.

So people were missing outside areas a lot.

I don't know what came with the expansions later and after it turned to free to play cause I had quit after a few months and never looked back after.

However, as a huge fan of neverwinter nights, all its expansions and the included aurora toolset (loved modding with it back in 2000 and later!), I was totally looking forward to this mmo.

Not quite sure what I should make out of it yet but I think I'll wait and see how it unfolds before I'm gonna give any judgement.

One thing I can say is that Cryptic created one of the most unique and editable, original and the first ever super heroes mmo with city of heroes back in 2004 so I'm having a lot of faith in them alone when it comes to the editing tools cause the character editor, thebase editor and mission architect in City of Heroes/Villains were the best and the first of that nature a mmo ever had.