Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter priced to high.

Comments

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    I have no idea on why things like this need to be an 'all or nothing' scenario. Why can't they set a system where you pay in installments. I am a full time worker supporting four people at the moment and money doesn't stretch as well as it used to. But, if they were to say 'heres our max VIP price' and they took installments, then I, as a consumer would happily do this over a period of time to reap those benefits.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by sibs4455

I too agree with the op, what some people fail to understand is that this game is not a AAA mmorpg and so does not warrant such a high price tag, Ofcourse Cryptic can charge what they want and they have.

Cryptic needs to realize that there are alot of gamers who paid good money for a crap game called STO, most gamers i know feel like they were conned.So really you would of thought that their Public Relations Department would have told the people incharge that a resonable charge for said packs would have done then a world of good.

My opinion about Cryptic is that this game is going to be make or break for them, i know they belong to PWorld now but i doubt that will save them.

What price tag? ITS FREE TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY! Really wish people would at least once in awhile know even tha basics about something before they post silly comments.

Wait , wait Why do Porches cost so much?! They all should be made to cost just like a Kia so that way everyone could have one and no one would be jealous!

Sorry but the Op is foolish if he thinks the world works that way, or that those that work harder, are more talented, or just make more money won't have perks that others can't afford.

In the end you can download and play the game for free. No you can't be drizzt on a armored spider mount with a panther companion in the beta for free, but thats life. If you could how exactly would cryptic make back any money invested in Neverwointer? how would cryptic have money to continue to develop the game add new classes etc..

I've sad it before and I'll say it again sadly enough  developers, programers, graphic, and sound artist do not survive on air and the charity of a few self entitled gamers. Lifes hard and unfair like that. However comparing apples to apples this is less of a money grab then most sub or B2P games. You have to pay nothing unless you want to play. will there be incentives to pay? yes not unlike many of the things sold in the cash shops for almost all B2p and subgames.

• adkenneradkenner Member Posts: 18

I don't know why so many people are just ignoring the fact that there is a 60$ pack that also gets you into the beta, gets you a free mount, a free companion, and some other stuff. 

While 200$ might be a little much for most people to just throw around on a game they have never played....60$ is pretty freakin standard by this point. If you actually buy your PC games and don't pirate them all...60$ does not seem at all out of whack. I am going to buy the new Sim City in March. I haven't played it.....I may not end up liking it all that much...but I already know Im going to drop 60 bucks on it. If they gave me the option to pay my 60$ now and play this weekend...I would gladly do so. 

Originally posted by adkenner

I don't know why so many people are just ignoring the fact that there is a 60$ pack that also gets you into the beta, gets you a free mount, a free companion, and some other stuff. 

While 200$ might be a little much for most people to just throw around on a game they have never played....60$ is pretty freakin standard by this point. If you actually buy your PC games and don't pirate them all...60$ does not seem at all out of whack. I am going to buy the new Sim City in March. I haven't played it.....I may not end up liking it all that much...but I already know Im going to drop 60 bucks on it. If they gave me the option to pay my 60$ now and play this weekend...I would gladly do so. 

Logic on the internets?! Shame on you sir get yee hence, and touble us no more with your commen sense! For it is free and we say it doth cost too much! Yes there are affordable add on packs which we are not required to buy, yet still our judgement stands it doth cost too much!

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by adkenner

I don't have the energy to go back and refute everyone else in the thread. I grow tired of this banter.

I will just simply address one thing and be done with this for the evening.

I was talking about the 200 pack because the OP is talking about the 200 pack. The thread is about the 200 dollar pack being too expensive.

Have a nice night y'all, im gonna go try to learn LOL again. If that doesn't work I might download DCUO again.

It was always fun to just fly around, well at least for me.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• adkenneradkenner Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Tsumoro
    I have no idea on why things like this need to be an 'all or nothing' scenario. Why can't they set a system where you pay in installments. I am a full time worker supporting four people at the moment and money doesn't stretch as well as it used to. But, if they were to say 'heres our max VIP price' and they took installments, then I, as a consumer would happily do this over a period of time to reap those benefits.

They have that...its called putting a founders pack on a credit card and paying it off over a longer time. 

Originally posted by SuperNick

PS: It's not a triple AAA MMO for the record. It's a rehashed, modified version of their Champions/STO engine which has had quite a short development time, from a relatively small team. It's middle ground production value, hence why it's not even buy-to-play like say Defiance.

A bit of the thread subject and just out of curiousity who actually decides if somethings a AAA MMO, Many MMO's like SW:Tor say they are AAA MMO's, but many many players would disagree. While its just my opnion what I've seen of Neverwinter puts it up there with SW:Tor or at least up there with so called AAA ARPG's like Dibalo 3 and Torchlight 2.

Sriously in the end isn't just everyone own opinion that something makes it a AAA game or is there some minium amount of money spent in developemnt cost that allows a game to be considered AAA. (obviously in the case of AAA MMO's like SW:Tor its not player retention or overall player satisfaction.) 

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by winter

PS: It's not a triple AAA MMO for the record. It's a rehashed, modified version of their Champions/STO engine which has had quite a short development time, from a relatively small team. It's middle ground production value, hence why it's not even buy-to-play like say Defiance.

A bit of the thread subject and just out of curiousity who actually decides if somethings a AAA MMO, Many MMO's like SW:Tor say they are AAA MMO's, but many many players would disagree. While its just my opnion what I've seen of Neverwinter puts it up there with SW:Tor or at least up there with so called AAA ARPG's like Dibalo 3 and Torchlight 2.

Sriously in the end isn't just everyone own opinion that something makes it a AAA game or is there some minium amount of money spent in developemnt cost that allows a game to be considered AAA. (obviously in the case of AAA MMO's like SW:Tor its not player retention or overall player satisfaction.) 

At its core, the term "AAA title" is basically a game with a high budget. I realise people mistake it with "high quality" or of A+++ rating but neither are true, as we all seen with SWTOR.

Now, money isn't everything but it is a very important factor when it comes to making any form of entertainment. There is no accounting for a company who screws it all up by forcing the release date or making crappy design choices (ala Warhammer, SWTOR, GW2) but not having money in the first place is hugely limted.

The problems with a title that doesn't have a great budget:

1. Innovations are few and far between.
    2. Graphics have to take some hits, you'll most likely see reused assets a lot from past games and even see a lot of rehashing while in game.
    3. You can't afford large teams of people or even expensive developers/artists. Content and art will take hits as a result.
    4. Since you are working to a limited budget, you're on a finite timeline, your game needs to come out ASAP. Prepare for bugs, balance issues and lacking content.
    There are 100s of other reasons why a lacking budget doesn't help, and while games like Eve, D&D Online and Rift enjoyed some good success, they are still nothing more than moderately successful games with medium rate populations.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Deviron
    Originally posted by killahh
     Get a better education and a better job.

You need a better education.  If you had one you would know that statement is full of so much ignorance.

Some people cannot afford such luxuries. Kids, current status in life beyond work, and many more reasons can make it hard to spend 60$ on something they are not quite sure about.

To me its a money grab, but that is how the world works.

It's free to play.  How much of a money grab is that?

I don't get your point about people who can't afford luxuries and how unfair that is.  What's your point?

The point is that it's f2p and people are paying $200 for it and you don't even get anything in the mail..  It's the biggest mmo money grab I have ever seen.

You don't have to pay it and you can still play.  Where is the money grab?  What does the mail have to do with anything?

The op is complaining because they're jealous but too cheap to spend the money.

True

An undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort. Sounds like a money grab to me.

I think he referring to the lack of physical objects that usually are part of the typical collector's edition package when you're placing a $200 price tag on a service that for all intents and purpose will have no actual price tag.

I think the majority of the complaints are steming from the idea that although we are all in agreement that this is a game and buying one of these $200 packages is a luxury. Cryptic and PW seem be sending conflicting messages with this offer. On one hand we are all safe to assume that the actual game client took a considerably large amount of effort to produce and develop. Yet they price it at $0 (F2P) and it holds no real value. And on the other, we are to accept that this package priced at $200, which we all know took very little effort to make compared to the actual game, is worth over $500 in value.

Mind you this price point is more than any other mmo collector's edition, which include both physical as well as digital content, released so far.

So it's not about feeling jealous or being cheap. It's about the mindset of developers and how they feel about the value of their player base. Do we mean so little to them that they are so willing to throw out such a rediculous price for their western player base so quickly? Why must we get less and less with every new mmo released and pay higher prices for it?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Free is too high?

Didn't realise you needed a founder pack to play the game....

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

You don't get a "lot" for your $200. You really don't even get a lot for your $60 - and well, the $20 pack isn't worth that much either.

Expensive is a subjective term of course - one man's expensive is another man's chump change. However, one universal law does apply to the poor, the middle class and the rich: are you getting value for your money?

Frankly, no. In my opinion they're all overpriced for what they are.

That said, it's a free game. No buy to play, no sub.

I just think they're missing a trick here by charging so much - yes they'll get some sales, but they could really capture a lot more with:

a) more bang for your buck (visit to Cryptic studios, a collectors edition box with soundtrack and figure etc)

b) selling access to the beta for $5

c) lowering the price somewhat for a higher turnover

You forget that the $60 and $200 packs include in-game currency. You have no idea how much that will be worth. Yes, its an up-front cash injection, but I doubt they will rip off the players who do it. Most of the pets / mounts will probably be unique to founders.

Originally posted by evilastro

You forget that the $60 and $200 packs include in-game currency. You have no idea how much that will be worth. Yes, its an up-front cash injection, but I doubt they will rip off the players who do it. Most of the pets / mounts will probably be unique to founders.

I've read through the benefits quite extensively - I still don't think a mount, a pet and some in-game cash which can be spent on more skins, mounts and pets justifies $60.

Basically you can spend nothing and play the game with the mounts, pets and skins that everyone else gets or you can pay $60 to get the above.. as I said, hardly seems like a justified deal but maybe that's just me. Maybe they should have just charged you for the game in the first place, at least then you'd feel OK spending another $20 for that type of stuff.

Buy-to-win days are over for cash shop models. I'd expect a cash shop akin to LOTRO, GW2 and TERA which means majority of the stuff will be cosmetic, with maybe the option to get another character slot etc.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

the game is both free to download and play so the founder packs have nothing to do with the ability to play the game.

They give access to the beta for those who are not lifers in Startrek online and others. They are limiting the field for the closed beta.

The Forgotten realms genre for Neverwinter is rich in history and lore, if the devs want to charge for beta access then im all for it.

The package in question.. the 200 dollar hero of the north pretty much gives those that buy it the archtypical look of Drizzt Do'Urrden, one of the most iconic characters in Fogotten realms. if you dont know who he is then you of course wouldnt understand why its so expensive.

For those of us who do know about the Forgotten Realms genre its common sense.. Drizzt is a favorite. I dont blame the devs for taking advantage of this feature.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

Originally posted by Akumawraith

the game is both free to download and play so the founder packs have nothing to do with the ability to play the game.

They give access to the beta for those who are not lifers in Startrek online and others. They are limiting the field for the closed beta.

The Forgotten realms genre for Neverwinter is rich in history and lore, if the devs want to charge for beta access then im all for it.

The package in question.. the 200 dollar hero of the north pretty much gives those that buy it the archtypical look of Drizzt Do'Urrden, one of the most iconic characters in Fogotten realms. if you dont know who he is then you of course wouldnt understand why its so expensive.

For those of us who do know about the Forgotten Realms genre its common sense.. Drizzt is a favorite. I dont blame the devs for taking advantage of this feature.

Sure, I don't blame Blizzard for thinking a mount is worth $15, an automated character transfer is worth $20. I don't blame FireFall for thinking a motorbike you'll be able to get in game is worth $140. Hey, a character slot given to you automatically in LOTRO costs $20.

All of the above is an unbelievable rip off. Which was kind of the point in the thread - it's a rip, they know it and we know it. The reason this thread will go on forever is because the whole concept of money is subjective. Some will have paid that $200 and will be completely happy with it since it was worth that to them. Some people would pay $500 and think that was fine, some would think $1 is too much already.

Sure, I don't blame Blizzard for thinking a mount is worth $15, an automated character transfer is worth $20. I don't blame FireFall for thinking a motorbike you'll be able to get in game is worth $140. Hey, a character slot given to you automatically in LOTRO costs $20.

All of the above is an unbelievable rip off. Which was kind of the point in the thread - it's a rip, they know it and we know it. The reason this thread will go on forever is because the whole concept of money is subjective. Some will have paid that $200 and will be completely happy with it since it was worth that to them. Some people would pay $500 and think that was fine, some would think $1 is too much already.

you missed the point...

Drizzt Do'urrden is the iconinc Character in Forgotten Realms which this game Neverwinter is based on. He is a renagade Drow Elf who escapes form his life in a dangerous vile city to come to the surface and becomes a hero of epic porportions. Struggling with his heritage, and the fear his appearance draws from surface dwellers Drizzzt has made himself a place in forgotten realms lore.

For the 200 dollar package you can get the same type of story background, and character skins and pet as Drizzt. hes legendary in the Forgotten Realms. in reference to wow itd be like giving the players to opt in to be a Undead Paladin that dual weilds.. so many millions would pay to have that character.

Thts how it is. You arent just paying for a mount or gear.. but a tie to one of the most wel known characters in the Forgotten realms setting. This isnt WoW.. its Forgotten realms a far older game world than most in existance. My suggestion to you is to learn about forgotten realms and not just jump to conclusions that this is just another MMORPG. its not. it has a long and rich history with millions of books writtenand sold.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    The 199 pack is for the impulse purchasers who don't want to wait 3 months to get the stuff cheaper or in game. 

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

Originally posted by Briansho
    The 199 pack is for the impulse purchasers who don't want to wait 3 months to get the stuff cheaper or in game. 

They have not said either way whether the founder pack items will be found on the cstore.. however if i remeber correctly in STo many things that are founder based never made it to ingame till much much later, if at all.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    I agree with the OP - $200 is comical.

Yep.  This is unfortunate news.

Originally posted by Eir_S

you dont need to pay anything to play so i dont see why your whining.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I don't see why having a position that $200 for a top end F2P game pack is too much is whining.  Then again it's easier to say that than address the "issue."

Edit:

Also this top end "Founders Pack" costs more than the Collectors Editions of any WoW expansion and more than SWTOR too. 

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    What is 200$ for you Americans??? In my country you can buy a good horse, composite bow, sabre, some food and wine for this money and you can ride in to sunset

I don't see why having a position that $200 for a top end F2P game pack is too much is whining.  Then again it's easier to say that than address the "issue."

as to the issue the 200 dollar package isnt  a game pack its a founder pack. which gives access to beta and gives players the abilty to get closer to the Drizzt Do'Urden Charater lore.  Its completely optional, the game is free to play and download. Theres no requirement to pay out the 20, 60 or 200 dollars for founder packs. they are completely optional. I dnt see the issue unless you are one of the gimme generation in which case id call it whining.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

I think the value for this is minimal, but then Cryptic (or PW) probably has a pretty good grasp on how many people will fork over the money for these things.  I doubt anyone will be forced to.   It just gets them some upfront cash, and gives bennies to the diehards.

Not being a fan of Drizzt at all (or at least the couple of poorly written novels I tried to read), this doesn't have that much appeal.   For some, it could be the pinnacle of uttermost cool.   I am going to try it out, eventually, for free and see if the mechanics and implementation are fun, for me.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

as to the issue the 200 dollar package isnt  a game pack its a founder pack. which gives access to beta and gives players the abilty to get closer to the Drizzt Do'Urden Charater lore.  Its completely optional, the game is free to play and download. Theres no requirement to pay out the 20, 60 or 200 dollars for founder packs. they are completely optional. I dnt see the issue unless you are one of the gimme generation in which case id call it whining.

So they develop "Founders Packs" that noone "has" to buy and advertise it like crazy including on the Champions Online and Star Trek Online logon screens in hopes of noone buying it.

Or

They overprice them to the point of them being more expensive than any WoW Collectors Edition and the masses go nom nom nom in defense of an overpriced product.

Sounds like great marketing logic.

So they develop "Founders Packs" that noone "has" to buy and advertise it like crazy including on the Champions Online and Star Trek Online logon screens in hopes of noone buying it.

Or

They overprice them to the point of them being more expensive than any WoW Collectors Edition and the masses go nom nom nom in defense of an overpriced product.

Sounds like great marketing logic.

considering they developed the game, are giving it to players for free and are charging for founders packs.. sure why not they have to make some capitol as they arent asking for anything from the players to play the game. and as for the founder packs. Yes they are optional.  if someone wants to pay for a founders pack it is thier choice. However  the packages are for access to the beta  which is thier right. there is nothing stating you have to pay for the founders packs to play the game. If you choose to pay for the founders pack and get into the beta you get a first hand look at the game till level 30 for this weekend not sure what for follow up weekends.

I dont see it as a bad deal. however the 200 dollar package gives you a unique apect in the game.. a character and history similar to a legendary character in the forgotten Realms setting. if you dont know who that is im sorry, you should  do your research on a subject matter before criticizing it.