Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you Sub for $5.99 per month?

Simple question, post simple answers or elaborate (it's awesome either way). It's my view that the old $14.99 model from 'other' MMO's were just cut and paste to new offerings, and if some (ahem!) smart marketing types were to offer a lower sub cost in the effort to pull in more subs and therefore more revenue, we might see a shift in progress for the MMO's we love.  I guess this same question could be posted to 'other' MMO's as well, but I'm particularly curious about SWTOR.

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    No, I would not sub if you paid it for me.
  • tetiteti Member Posts: 26
    No.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah this game just isnt worth a sub fee at all to me , it should of been buy to play like Guild Wars 2 and now the secret world because the slow rate of quality content coming out of it and the terrible performance almost seems like an indie company to me when its a triple A company with plenty of gaming experience.
  • MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176

Can't say that I would...

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    No. Too many good buy to play games now and coming up to fool with it even at that price.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Heck I am not even playing it since it went free to play.  The way I see it they need to pay me for my time.  Lol pay 5.99 per month  rofl. 

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

"Would you Sub for $5.99 per month?"

No, its free and i don't play it now.

I did sub and play it the first 2 months it was out, and yes i did have some fun with the class stories and companions, but then it quickly became old and repeatative. As they haven't really added anything of worth to in in the last year (legacy was a joke IMO) its not worth my time let alone my money.

At this point in my life while I'm not rich my time is more valuable then $15 a month which I think almost everyone can admit is the cheapest entertainment price you will find (compared to month of cable tv, a single night at the moves with dinner,  etc.)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by cronius77
    yeah this game just isnt worth a sub fee at all to me , it should of been buy to play like Guild Wars 2 and now the secret world because the slow rate of quality content coming out of it and the terrible performance almost seems like an indie company to me when its a triple A company with plenty of gaming experience.

seriously can't think of a MMO that come out with content slower then SW:tor. TSW is faster, GW2 is faster, DDO is faster, EQ2 is Faster, ok maybe Vanguard is slower but they only have 2-3 people workering there.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    The problem is not money related.  $15 a month is nothing.  The problem is that the game is insanely limited.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

yes i would and do sub to this game at the moment (and obviously would pay a $5 sub if that opened up the full game). no i would not play the F2P model either.

i don't play games because they are free, i play them because i enjoy them.

fact of the matter is, this may not be the best MMO experience but i prefer to play this over anything else right now.

i also don't play this game to raid or do end game content, so that may have something to do with it as well.

i play this game casually, usually just 2-3 hours per day and IMO its not the type of game you can bust out all day every day like its EQ or something.

what's hilarious to me is people are so hung up on paying subs for games yet a lot of those same people run out and buy console games for $60 and play them for like a week or two.

i don't play consoles so $15 a month for one game, even if i am not playing it much isn't a big deal to me as long as i am actively playing it (even casually) and enjoying my time playing it.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

No way.

I did not stop playing because of the cost. I stopped playing because I felt the game was poor.

Lowering the cost doesn't change the fact that it is a poor game.

Hence why I do not play the f2p version either.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by winter

Originally posted by cronius77 yeah this game just isnt worth a sub fee at all to me , it should of been buy to play like Guild Wars 2 and now the secret world because the slow rate of quality content coming out of it and the terrible performance almost seems like an indie company to me when its a triple A company with plenty of gaming experience.
     seriously can't think of a MMO that come out with content slower then SW:tor. TSW is faster, GW2 is faster, DDO is faster, EQ2 is Faster, ok maybe Vanguard is slower but they only have 2-3 people workering there.

wow? unless you are talking about small patched in updates?

granted, wow does it to ensure quality but i remember playing that game for long stretches of time with no new content.

people over-exaggerate how bad this game is, when i say people i mean a lot of people.

i get that its not great for long term design to build a game around story driven content and people got bored fast, i do think that was their biggest downfall.

i mean, a lot of the gamers that post here are the types that play games as a hobby, busting out long multi-hour sessions every day.

there is no way a game that is designed around story driven content can keep up with that.

games have a hard enough time just coming out with new raid dungeons to keep those type of players happy.

so i understand those players frustrations, especially if they happen to be SW fans and want to play a good long term SW MMO.

but the over-exaggeration of how bad this game is because they got bored with it is just so ridiculous.

not saying that is the only reason some people don't like it but i bet that's the main reason for most.

JMO of course.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

The amount of time that you spend on a game that you play a lot is worth a lot more than $15/month unless you live in a really poor part of the world.  Very, very few people would be able to pay $6/month but not $15/month.

The risk of charging, say, $20/month, is that people will refuse out of spite, not because they can't afford it.  And that really only kicks in if you're charging more than is seen as "normal".

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    No, I wouldn't.
  • WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    No. I subbed for a few months at the beginning then cancelled because it sucked. I don't play it now when it is F2P because it sucks, so paying a lower subscription fee to play it is a not going to happen.
  • Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    You couldn't pay me to play this game. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    The issue is not the money but my time. SWTOR imo is an average MMO and an average single player game. Why should I play an average game when there are better alternatives to spent my time on ?
  • ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427
    I would never go neare that game if it was truely free. Anless it was more or less re-made.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    No, but I would sub for 19.99/month for SWG 2.0

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !