Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

To be fair I really meant this game is terrible for D&D fans but since that is their target audience, given the D&D/Neverwinter name, that still does make it awful. If you're a Tera/WoW/GW2 fan this game might be worth checking out.

That said, I respectfully request that cryptic change the name of this game to "Plungeons and Plagons" or "Severwinter" or some combination of the two, in an attempt to accurately portray the game and not mislead true D&D fans.

Was Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance terrible for D&D fans?

Or better yet its bad for you as a fan of D&D .  I know plenty of fans, most on the official forums who are hardcore D&D guru's many coming from NWN1&2 and DDO who are really excited for NWO.  SO how bout we not use absolutes when dealing with emotions....k?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by craftseeker

You know that high pitched whine you hear in the background?

That is the second harmonic of the sound of Gary Gygax spinning in his grave at over 40 kHtz.

Truer words never spoken.

Then Gary and Dave Arneson should of never sold out to "the man".  Sorry but I am sure if Gary was alive today he would be thrilled because his designs made him a multi-millionaire.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Draemos

To be fair I really meant this game is terrible for D&D fans but since that is their target audience, given the D&D/Neverwinter name, that still does make it awful. If you're a Tera/WoW/GW2 fan this game might be worth checking out.

That said, I respectfully request that cryptic change the name of this game to "Plungeons and Plagons" or "Severwinter" or some combination of the two, in an attempt to accurately portray the game and not mislead true D&D fans.

Someone would have to be a retarded monkey to get misled.  This game has trumpeted the action MMO card from day 1... Plus it's CRYPTIC. Cryptic isn't going to make some complicated super deep dice-roll game, that's like the opposite of what they are good at.  Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew it was going to be a loose representation of a D&d rule set  with  A Forgotten Realms backdrop.

Yep and the D&D fans have a right to run the game into the ground for using a well known name for cash grabbing purposes.

Do we all really have to do this dance every time a new game releases? People give negative opinions on a game, fanboys use the "it's not released to most people and you can't know from videos." Then beta is released and the fanboys say "it's just beta." Then launch "let them iron out the issues." 1 month "it's only been a month." Then "It's only been 6 months." Then "Hey 2k people are gold members the game must be good and therefore you're wrong."

Honestly guys just take the critism, it's only going to get worse from here.

Could you refrain from trying to speak for all D&D fans? As a D&D fan I disagree with you. D&D 4.0 is clearly represented in Neverwinter Online any D&D fan can tell you that. Love it or hate it you can clearly see the 4.0 influence, that is if you've ever played 4.0. 

I only have a passing familiarity with 4E... can you share where you see that influence and clear representation with those that might not know as mch as you?

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If I was a betting man,I'd bet that Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls will flop..

its what Ive come to expect from MMO's today.

I may go back to MMO's that I still enjoy,but my days of buying new ones on release are over.

As a customer,the MMO industry has pretty much lost me.

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

Just watch the Total Biscuit video, IMO this is going to be another Cryptic game, i mean come on... it looks so generic.

And the combat... oh my god... the combat.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

Be careful...  I think the same thing was said for Klingon content in STO.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by turkishmafia

Hey, guess what?

TESO will be the same and so will the next game after that and so on.

Until they all change their WoW-inspired, money-grabbing attempts at these failures they like to call games (let alone MMORPGs), they will all be seen for how terrible they are once their honeymoon periods are over.

Love what you do, do it without ulterior motives, and money and fame will follow. Do it for the wrong reasons and you lose.

Because free to download and free to play is money-grabbing? Because of course in your wolrd games can spend years in developement to add all classes on launch with no revnue, sure thats um reality...not.

"Love what you do, do it without ulterior motives, and money and fame will follow." Sadly I can't think of any game that this is totally true about going all the way back to EQ. All MMO's that have been released and had any success have been grounded in the fact their developemnt was limited by money on hand and required a return on investments once released. No deveopers, programmers, graphic and sound artisit do not actually survive just on air and the charity of some self entitled gamers.

Seriously didn't see much of anything in Neverwinter that appears WoW inspired as you claim but then in your mind everything is WoW so no point really debating it

Originally posted by tank017

If I was a betting man,I'd bet that Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls will flop..

its what Ive come to expect from MMO's today.

I may go back to MMO's that I still enjoy,but my days of buying new ones on release are over.

As a customer,the MMO industry has pretty much lost me.

Perhaps just maybe its not the All the MMO industry, maybe just maybe its alittle bit you. You the burnt out jaded gamer you've become? Nah couldn't be but I digress, my apologies

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I only have a passing familiarity with 4E... can you share where you see that influence and clear representation with those that might not know as mch as you?

Well for starters the game has dwarves in it! It also has swords and armor and a place called Neverwinter.  Plus it......well.......hmmm? I got nothing.

Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Draemos

Someone would have to be a retarded monkey to get misled.  This game has trumpeted the action MMO card from day 1... Plus it's CRYPTIC. Cryptic isn't going to make some complicated super deep dice-roll game, that's like the opposite of what they are good at.  Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew it was going to be a loose representation of a D&d rule set  with  A Forgotten Realms backdrop.

Yep and the D&D fans have a right to run the game into the ground for using a well known name for cash grabbing purposes.

Do we all really have to do this dance every time a new game releases? People give negative opinions on a game, fanboys use the "it's not released to most people and you can't know from videos." Then beta is released and the fanboys say "it's just beta." Then launch "let them iron out the issues." 1 month "it's only been a month." Then "It's only been 6 months." Then "Hey 2k people are gold members the game must be good and therefore you're wrong."

Honestly guys just take the critism, it's only going to get worse from here.

Could you refrain from trying to speak for all D&D fans? As a D&D fan I disagree with you. D&D 4.0 is clearly represented in Neverwinter Online any D&D fan can tell you that. Love it or hate it you can clearly see the 4.0 influence, that is if you've ever played 4.0. 

Still playing that card Vesavius? Truely if you really wanted to know why not find out for yourself? Surely your not gonna believe anything any random poster states to answer your question? Alittle googling and alittle reading isn't that hard a thing, and self enlightningment is generally considered a good thing.

Not trying to squash your your intellectual curiousity just trying to direct it to a more reliable source. That of course assumes you want facts and not opinions.

Well for starters the game has dwarves in it! It also has swords and armor and a place called Neverwinter.  Plus it......well.......hmmm? I got nothing.

Prime example of someone who hasn't played the game and really doesn't know posting his opinion rather then any real fact. makes for interesting discussion no doubt but by the end of the day we really haven't learned anything, other then his opinion.

What the old saying?. Opinions are like assholes, everyone hass one and they usually stink.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

From what I saw, the only thing I was disappointed in was the character creation, but then I realized something.

THE GAME IS STILL IN BETA.

As soon as I realized this, I accepted that most of my problems will likely be remedied before the game is released.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by craftseeker

You know that high pitched whine you hear in the background?

That is the second harmonic of the sound of Gary Gygax spinning in his grave at over 40 kHtz.

Truer words never spoken.

Then Gary and Dave Arneson should of never sold out to "the man".  Sorry but I am sure if Gary was alive today he would be thrilled because his designs made him a multi-millionaire.

^this^ though in all truthfullness everyone always thinks they know what a dead person they never meet would think if they were alive today, or what they are currently doing in their graves.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

This is mostly trolling as the OP has obviously not played the game.

The number of classes is definitely low, hope they'll add more.

That said, it's F2P, and I'll be trying it with my mates -for sure-. We have even planned already to take turn in making dungeon/adventures through the Foundry for the rest of us to run, as kind of semi-DMed adventures. 

Honestly? I can't wait to get my hands on it.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

From what I saw, the only thing I was disappointed in was the character creation, but then I realized something.

As soon as I realized this, I accepted that most of my problems will likely be remedied before the game is released.

What a pipe dream. People say this about every single game that is in beta. From all indication this game is close to release. You are not going to see anything substantial added to it between now and then. The bulk of betas these days are nothing more than hype machines. 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

You mean besides the class and abilities/spells? That teleport you've seen in the videos is straight out of 4th edition. The Daily abilities is a little modified but again clearly 4th edition. Management and healing is handled the same way. 

I'm not exactly sure what specific examples you are looking for though. 

Why not help me out here and tell me what you feel doesn't represent 4th edition well in Neverwinter and maybe I can help you out. 

• goosiegoosie Member UncommonPosts: 69

I'm not sure why they chose to deviate from D&D so much in creating this game, the rules, mechanics, and lore are virtually laid out for the developers to copy + paste. Yet they go and modify D&D to force it to work with an "action combat" system when D&D is inherently turn based (and TBH, NW  isn't even truly action combat, it's pseudo action-combat from what I can tell). 

Why couldn't have gone hardcore turn-based STRATEGY MMORPG? It would've been something D&D players have ALWAYS wanted, an up-to-date strategy-based MMORPG where you can create turn based encounters and such in the foundry. It would easily allow for the depth of strategy that is D&D, not the shallow gameplay that I've seen thus far.

Don't get me wrong, I love action-combat MMORPGs, but  D&D is definitely not the IP to do it with IMO.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

You mean besides the class and abilities/spells? That teleport you've seen in the videos is straight out of 4th edition. The Daily abilities is a little modified but again clearly 4th edition. Management and healing is handled the same way. 

Why not help me out here and tell me what you feel doesn't represent 4th edition well in Neverwinter and maybe I can help you out. 

Wrong, they are pale shadows of 4e, mostly just in name. You don't hack and slash for 20+ rounds per monster for hundreds of damage at low level while mostly autohitting and spaming heals to collect magic items that always drop every dungeon. This is nothing like any form of D&D, stop pretending you know anything about pnp because it's obvious you do not.

What the above sounds like is a tera/wow ripoff which is exactly what this game is and you know what, that's fine. The problem is Cryptic had the audacity to put a D&D name on it, let alone Neverwinter. Fortunately for them this isn't the first time this has happened. All kinds of hell was raised when Turbine stained the world with a pestilence known as DDO, a game which is so terrible many nerds don't even know what that acronym stands for.

Originally posted by Jyiiga
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

What a pipe dream. People say this about every single game that is in beta. From all indication this game is close to release. You are not going to see anything substantial added to it between now and then. The bulk of betas these days are nothing more than hype machines. 

They state they are already working on more classes. No they won't be in before release, and there is a question of how long it takes to make a class, but if they are already working on them thats a plus

[mod edit]
  • BoldynBoldyn Member Posts: 265

If I find the game fun, I'll play it without giving a flying F what ruleset or franchise it belongs to.

That's actually a fact btw...

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

for a f2p game , looks solid and fun , yeah few classes , but u have paragon paths so u can customize your characters a lot

my main concern is the skills limit , looks limited :S

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Watching the stream, this game looked great.  The ONLY thing I could knock it for was the 5 classes, but they will be adding many classes I've heard, so that's that.   If you played Stormreach, this game reminds me of that.  I haven't played it, but the gameplay looked kinda like Stormreach with action combat.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I was disappointed that during his hour long video Total Biscuit never asked about exploring the world or crafting.

Guess I will have to wait for that info.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

Wrong, they are pale shadows of 4e, mostly just in name. You don't hack and slash for 20+ rounds per monster for hundreds of damage at low level while mostly autohitting and spaming heals to collect magic items that always drop every dungeon. This is nothing like any form of D&D, stop pretending you know anything about pnp because it's obvious you do not.

What the above sounds like is a tera/wow ripoff which is exactly what this game is and you know what, that's fine. The problem is Cryptic had the audacity to put a D&D name on it, let alone Neverwinter. Fortunately for them this isn't the first time this has happened. All kinds of hell was raised when Turbine stained the world with a pestilence known as DDO, a game which is so terrible many nerds don't even know what that acronym stands for.

the game is not a tera and wow rip off, matter of fact the Forgotten realms are far older than either of them its just that the devs working on Neverwinter are avid fans of the forgotten realms. It only makes sense that Cryptic created this game as Zeke and the others are all fans of the Forgotten Realms genre. Frankly your trolling of neverwinter bites of hate and discrimination rather than any true content.  true Cryptic has not had alot of real improvements on STo, but the game is three years old and they have added content. They have not worked on KDF all that much and yes players are up in arms over it. But if you look at the STO page and do your checking they have a massive conent update planned for May 2013. It screams a possible romulan based faction.

Now This Audacity you speak of is rediculous. They garnered Wiards of the Coasts support and even consulted with WotC in the developement of the game. I dont see why you are so intent on slamming a game you havent even played yet. Its not a wow clone.. if anything Blizzard got many of thier ideas for Warcraft  from D&D, thats pretty common knowledge. so which is the clone? sure Blizzard developed WoW back in 2004 and Neverwinter is being released hopefully this year.

However Neverwinter is in its own right a game on its own. its not open world, its instanced. its not spam the same button over and over.. its more indepth than that. Its not tab targetting, you actually have to pay attention. yes itll have a cash shop.. but thats how games are coming along nowadays. Will it be P2W? probably not considering what was said in the different press beta events ive watched. but that is subject to change. as are most things about any game.

Comparing Neverwinter to WoW is comical at bst as they are worlds and years apart in story developement. The devs stated ardently that neverwinter will remain true to the Forgotten Realms lore, so we can expect full rich story conent. The devs stated more classes are coming including an archer class.. should be interesting. The foundry alone will make the game unique in that it directly affects the instancing daily.

As for hacking and slashing for 20+ rounds.. its an MMORPG arent you being a little too critical? its not a turn based game.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery