Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will we see WoW as F2P/B2P in 2013? [Poll]

13»

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    Saw the financials today.  They have 9.6 million subscribers.  That's more than $1,000,000,000 per year.   You're gonna have to buy the cow on this one because they ain't giving away the milk.

No, it's not.

The sub fee in the east is a rental fee from a cyber cafe, the most expensive being $5, and that's on the very high side. Considering the wages in China, I'm pretty sure most pay considerably less than that. Each rental is considered a 'sub'.

Wait, if you saw the financials today, then you would know the exact figure, wouldn't you?

Yes, it is... the exact number is just under $1.3 billion for year ending December 31, 2012. So, whatever the arrangement is for Chinese subscribers, WOW is making hella-cash.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    So there! 

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• leovinousleovinous Member Posts: 38
    As long as blizzrad can suck the cash from your wallet for subs, it will never go f2p or b2p.

Have you not read the Bible?
    Oh, yeah, yeah... Not all of it. Actually, I'm listening to it on tape.
    Don't tell me how it ends.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Saw the financials today.  They have 9.6 million subscribers.  That's more than $1,000,000,000 per year.   You're gonna have to buy the cow on this one because they ain't giving away the milk.

No, it's not.

The sub fee in the east is a rental fee from a cyber cafe, the most expensive being $5, and that's on the very high side. Considering the wages in China, I'm pretty sure most pay considerably less than that. Each rental is considered a 'sub'.

Wait, if you saw the financials today, then you would know the exact figure, wouldn't you?

They said most of their sub losses were from the east...

Shoots a hole through that theory.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i honestly can see them extending the trial maybe to 60 or something this year. They do not seem to be losing that many western subs but at the same time you have to take into account multimonth subs that people take breaks on waiting on new content. Lets face the truth blizzard is not the fastest when it comes to putting out new content in wow.  I think wow is a pretty solid game jsut not for my tastes any longer but to anyone that plays for more than a few hours a week content gaps happen pretty regularly even when you are doing the raiding content as well.
  • SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Games go F2P when they're bleeding subscribers and/or nearing the point of profit loss instead of profit gain.

So, until WoW reaches one of those (which probably won't be this year) - no, it won't go completely F2P or even B2P.

It also costs a lot of money to make an effective business model backing a F2P/B2P model that the community won't quit over.

• WorfiWorfi Member Posts: 16

No, it's not.

Ok. Let say you are right. Not only that. Let say all 9,6 milion are east players.

5$ x 12(months) x 9 600 000 = 576 000 000 $

So even than that would be nice money. Now do the math to see how many west subscriber you need to get to 1B.

30% of that number?

And it's ridiculus how all of you "east are not subscribers guys" say that every month, and throw "arguments" like those are all players who play only one hour, like they don't spend any money and like WoW don't have milions of Asian players every month (that is a lot of one hour players :D )... Interesting is how nobody think: hmmm, they pay for time spend in game and not sub. There must be a lot of players who spend more than 15$ per month that way. Ever heard about top Chines guild? Or those people who die after playing 48h non/stop in China. Guess not.

Consider that they sell more than 100 000 of each mount and pet in blizzard store.

So yes, only Blizzard will kill WoW.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I see this same thing every few months for the past 5 years. Really... the past 5 years. If you have 9.6 million subs... you're still millions over the next sub based games. And by millions, probably at least 6 million over your competetion. The other kicker is that the f2p games have no holding power. I have tried them all... they just don't have a soul, as they're always going to be based around the cash shop. 

Until another AAA sub game comes out that actually takes market share from WoW.. I just don't see this happening. 

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    Yeah they definitely will, simple maths really. They just aren't making any money at all from their 8 million players.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    WoW will go F2p in 2034