Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's The Point?

Comments

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

SWG had a storyteller system which was not really a foundy thing, but you could in essence create content....oh, and none of it was instanced.  City of Heroes had a mission builder system which is very similar to this foundry.  Star Trek Online has a foundry system which is even more similar, both are from the same company.  The Neverwinter Nights single player games had creator tools for multiplay.

So don't act like this foundry thing is anything new because it is not.

One thing that people may not have noticed was the item Rough Astral Diamond.  Anyone who has played the PWE version of STO knows exactly what this is and why it will spell doom for the game.  That is the in game currency, but it is not going to be the final verision.  Like STO's version of dilithium, you will probably need to refine those diamonds into something that can be used to then purchase items.

What is the catch?  Well, if you played STO, you know that you can only refine a certain amount per day.  So enjoy running the same mission over and over and over again just to gain faction ranks, then enjoy doing it all over again to gain those rough astral diamonds, then enjoy doing it some more as you spends weeks converting your daily cap diamonds into currency to get some item.

That is how PWE operates.  And because the game is F2P (like STO) you better believe that the heavy handed nature of their business model is going to affect the actual game design.

Sure, they could make a dungeon system where you go in and get a reward....but why one a dungeon once when you can stracth it out and make the player base run it 30 times for the same reward.  Want to accelerate your faction gain, why just spend some real life money in the Cryptic Store.

What's that...you can buy and sell rough astral diamonds on the market.....yea, guess who sets the price.  PWE.

If you have not played STO, go play it and see how far you get before you suddenyl find the need to spend actual money.  Then get to the end game and please tell us all how you feel.

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Originally posted by paulytheb

I'm still trying to figure out how it is different from DDO.

In DDO when you finish a mission or kill a boss you get an item, in NeverWinter, you will probably get a lockbox that you will need to pay a dollar for a key to open and then find you get +1 pair of socks.

Is anyone else scared of how PW plans to monitize this game?  It surely wont just be from cosmetic items in the shop.   Lets be honest for a moment.  Cryptic has never made a profit that I know of.  Atari sold them off and then PW stopped them from releasing this game in December of 2011.  They have worked on this game for an extra year with no extra revenue coming in.  Now the game will launch with no box cost.  At least STO had a box fee so they got a nice chunk of money up front.  With no inital revenue coming in from box sales, this game had better be fricken amazing and make people want to buy stuff or the lockboxes will be activated shortly after launch.

Percieved value can be a powerfull thing man.  Some people ARE going to spend hundreds on this game... some are going to spend nothing..  Your seeing this with the glass half empty.  From what I've seen in the livestreams you won't have to worry too much about this game supporting itself.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Warley

Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package.

Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

(A) Just because you (unknown stranger posting on the internetz) says theres no hope, this is all the same old same old (from watching a video, no actually game play experience need of course ) and thers no hope, why should we believe you?

(B) the games free to play and free to download so other then wasting some time perhaps theres really no reason not to? Also if what you say is true and we even get just a few days of fun out of it then hasn't it already more then paid for itself (ie free)

What do you get out of this? Is it your burnt out, jaded and bitter and just want company (Misery always loves company), or are you really unable to see that just because your play style doesn't allow you to enjoy games that are currently out that maybe other people that have different play styles can? Have you deluded yourself it believing that somehow if you convince almost everyone on the internet to stop playing games that somehow magically your dream sandbox game will come into being? WOW simply wow (and i don't mean the MMO

Neverwinter looks like it will be fun (to me at least) No it won't be NWN 3 (I never expected it to be)  Will it strictly adher to the D&D 4th edition ruleset. No idea I only played up to 3.5 ruleset anyway and frankly don't care that much as long as the game fun.(No I'm not a elitist D&D nerd) it does appear to have alot of instancing which is ok with me but i won't go around reccomending it to people that i know that hate games with instances

Having said that I think i have put it off long enough and will go vote with my wallet and buy the $60 founders pack. Its  risk i'll take. Can't be any worse then my $100 kickstarter for Pathfinder online right? In the end I'd rather see more new games come out then less. (A shrinking game economy will not force developers to make new and different games it will only force them to stick to old standards and have less new games released.) In th end your attempts to hurt the current game companies only ensure their will never be money invested in the very unproven and risky dream game you so desire. (ie less money to invest does not = money going to riskier and unproven game projects.)

So far, it sounds like, not much.

I play DDO weekly with my guild group. Looks alot different to me, am planning on playing both mybe DDO alittle less as they are slow to put out new content. The lack of tab targetting at least is a BIG difference in how one plays the game. Not sure but I'm guessing you don't play DDO.

Originally posted by SuperNick
    Originally posted by Nhoj1983

Disagree.. The quality here is far better than your saying right off.  Second it's not just any license.. it's DnD.. and Neverwinter.  The way I play mmos nowadays doesn't fit your model anyways.. sure I might last three months.. and then jump to something else for a while (like ARR or GW2... or even TSW.) and then I'll feel the desire to come back at some point..  The game could be amazing and still I'll want to spend tome elsewhere here and there.  So?  F2P games are predicated not on just the people who stay for years but for those who keep coming back.  The game looks to be a quality product that we're getting it free.  If the game is as good as it looks I'll spend money.  I'm sure there are others that will agree.  Your all or nothing statements don't fit in my mind.

Been around the MMO scene for long enough to recognize the signs of a mediocre production quality game. (Been playing since Asheron's Call days) - still, it is only my opinion.

I never said it'll be a bad game, my opinion is that it will be a fairly generic experience. The graphics are in my opinion subpar for 2013, the combat looks uninventive for what is supposed to be and I quote "a revolutionary action combat experience" and the world is supposedly very instance/dungeon based.

If you want a suitable comparison for how this game will likely turn out then look at D&D Online by Turbine. A game that enjoyed moderate success with a niché market and slotted into the industry as an 'OK' MMO.

I'm expecting NWO to enjoy more success than Champions and STO, which will be an achievement for the company in itself since both of those games were borderline bad.

I guess the reason this game annoys me more than entices me is the Neverwinter universe deserves more than an old rehashed engine, 2 years development time and what appears to be a  severely lacking open-world environment. It deserves the AAA treatment, not the F2P treatment.

"the AA treatment" you mean what SW:tor has? No thanks, all to their own but i'll take Neverwinter, adn even CO over that (never played STO so couldn't say)

I do applaud your ability to tell a games worth without ever having played it though

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by winter

"the AA treatment" you mean what SW:tor has? No thanks, all to their own but i'll take Neverwinter, adn even CO over that (never played STO so couldn't say)

I do applaud your ability to tell a games worth without ever having played it though

I guess you missed big giant words like "expect" and "it will probably". Thanks for the applaud though, appreciated and noted.

AAA title means a game with an industry standard budget,, it does not mean high quality title. Seeing as NWO will be using an old tired engine and a small budget, you can most likely expect the caliber of game you got with CO and STO - which is to say, a lacking experience that came and went very fast for most.

• PewpsockemzPewpsockemz Member Posts: 49
    As long as its better than ddo and wizardy online I'll play to get my dungeon crawl mmo fix. Any new game is worth a try if its free so wait till launch no need for speculation. The facts will be here soon enough.
    Originally posted by SuperNick

I guess you missed big giant words like "expect" and "it will probably". Thanks for the applaud though, appreciated and noted.

AAA title means a game with an industry standard budget,, it does not mean high quality title. Seeing as NWO will be using an old tired engine and a small budget, you can most likely expect the caliber of game you got with CO and STO - which is to say, a lacking experience that came and went very fast for most.

So you say you wish neverwinter had the AAA treament while in yet another post you admit AAA treatment has nothing to do with quality, odd but ok just to me seems kinda like a throwing money at it and hopeing for the best attitude.

Going by that stanrdard i assume you don't have much if any support for indie developers (after all they never have AAA budgets to work with) Cryptic says they have done some serious upgrades to the foundery, and even AAA treatment titles like SW:tor use relatively old engines so I'll reserve my judgement till i actually play it for a bit

• WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508

Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package.

Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

(A) Just because you (unknown stranger posting on the internetz) says theres no hope, this is all the same old same old (from watching a video, no actually game play experience need of course ) and thers no hope, why should we believe you?

(B) the games free to play and free to download so other then wasting some time perhaps theres really no reason not to? Also if what you say is true and we even get just a few days of fun out of it then hasn't it already more then paid for itself (ie free)

What do you get out of this? Is it your burnt out, jaded and bitter and just want company (Misery always loves company), or are you really unable to see that just because your play style doesn't allow you to enjoy games that are currently out that maybe other people that have different play styles can? Have you deluded yourself it believing that somehow if you convince almost everyone on the internet to stop playing games that somehow magically your dream sandbox game will come into being? WOW simply wow (and i don't mean the MMO

Neverwinter looks like it will be fun (to me at least) No it won't be NWN 3 (I never expected it to be)  Will it strictly adher to the D&D 4th edition ruleset. No idea I only played up to 3.5 ruleset anyway and frankly don't care that much as long as the game fun.(No I'm not a elitist D&D nerd) it does appear to have alot of instancing which is ok with me but i won't go around reccomending it to people that i know that hate games with instances

Having said that I think i have put it off long enough and will go vote with my wallet and buy the $60 founders pack. Its  risk i'll take. Can't be any worse then my $100 kickstarter for Pathfinder online right? In the end I'd rather see more new games come out then less. (A shrinking game economy will not force developers to make new and different games it will only force them to stick to old standards and have less new games released.) In th end your attempts to hurt the current game companies only ensure their will never be money invested in the very unproven and risky dream game you so desire. (ie less money to invest does not = money going to riskier and unproven game projects.)

Experience.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Warley Even though most of us haven't played it we've still played it.  Let's be honest, folks, there won't be anything new or different here.  It's the same game done already over the years with a new name.  Plus, the root/base of this game comes from the same blockbuster, massive hits such as Star Trek Online and Champions Online. Here's what is going to happen.  People are going to play it and like it for the first few days.  Then, after they feel it's the game for them, defended it to no end on forums, and feel its going to be the next big thing that newness will start to wear off.  They'll be too afraid to admit it by now, since they battled for it so hard, but they'll be to that point that they realize it's the same old game wrapped in a different package. Send a message to the game industry, "We're tired of the same crappy formulaic game design." DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!
    why would i need to? game is free to play

Very thin argument..

The one liner or the paragraph :)

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

So you say you wish neverwinter had the AAA treament while in yet another post you admit AAA treatment has nothing to do with quality, odd but ok just to me seems kinda like a throw money at it and hope for the best attitude.

Going by that stanrdard i assume you don't have much if any support for indie developers (after all they never have AAA budgets to work with) Cryptic says they have done some serious upgrades to the foundery, and even AAA treatment titles like SW:tor use relatively old engines so I'll reserve my judgement till i actually play it for a bit

I'm not going to explain the benefits/disadvantages of what a budget can do for a game, you barely understand the term as it is. A small budget is an incredible limiting factor. There's a reason independant movie/game/music makers don't draw the attention of their monster counterparts; they simply aren't as good most of the time.

I'm happy you keep bringing up SWTOR as some kind of argument but one industry flop, from a team who made idiotic design choices is the exception and not the rule. No amount of money was saving that turd ship.

Cryptic was a company on the road to success with City of Heroes but frankly every game after that have been mediocre, shortsighted projects to keep the studio running and make them some money. They lost sight of the gamer somewhere really and their philosophy now seems to be "spend as little as we can and get the biggest return we can before people figure it out".

So in answer to your assumption, I think indie companies do a lot of good stuff but Cryptic lost my faith with their last few garbage heaps of games.

Sure, maybe they'll redeem themselves and we'll all rejoice about it. The industry doesn't function like that 9 times out of 10 though and a games company gone bad is a company that stays bad until its death.

Of course all I have to go from are videos right now, so sure i'm not 100% casting judgement but let's be honest I feel like i'm watching a game that should have come out in 2009.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by nilden
    I would have prefered a Neverwinter Nights 3 not made by Cryptic.

There is nothing preventing WotC from commissioning another srpg based on NWN.  This isn't Neverwinter Nights.  It's D&D: Neverwinter.  NWN doesn't have exclusive rights on the Forgotten Realms IP at all.

I didn't say wotc couldn't commison another NWN. I didn't say that Neverwinter was Neverwinter Nights even though they have the entire setting in common it's obvious they are different games. I also never mention any IP rights.

I did say.. I would have prefered a Neverwinter Nights 3 not made by Cryptic. I would rather that this was NWN 3 coming out than D&D: Neverwinter.

Some reaons why would include:

Modding and module design plus player made servers/persitant worlds were great in NWN 2 but in NWN 2 you could only host a server with a static ip. The foundry while being a great feature along the lines of mission architect in City of Heroes will be much more limited than a stand alone NWN toolkit. I would much rather pay box price and own the game. You really don't need an MMO for group based adventuring just solid multiplayer support and letting players build and host their own servers. NWN 2 came out in 2006 and it would be a great time to update the engine and graphics etc in a third installment along with having all the classes and races expanding on NWN 1 and 2.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Thats your perogative.  I wouldnt of even considered that game though.  there are rarely any single player games I play. Never played NWN's but I have watched soem videos and it didn't look appealing to me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

Thats your perogative.  I wouldnt of even considered that game though.  there are rarely any single player games I play. Never played NWN's but I have watched soem videos and it didn't look appealing to me.

You might be missing out. I own everything from Pool of Radiance to Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape, and Neverwinter Nights among others. I have over 700 hours logged in NWN 2 on Steam and most of that was multiplayer on persistant worlds built with the toolkit. I also scripted and built mods. Heck I think it's worth it just for the modding community. However the game is pretty old now and a new one that is bigger and better would be awesome.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

You do realize that there was 4 srpg's(Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale 2) that took place in Forgotten Realms long before NWN and NWN2 was released right?

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by akiira69

You do realize that there was 4 srpg's(Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale, and Icewind Dale 2) that took place in Forgotten Realms long before NWN and NWN2 was released right?

So was Pool of Radiance. So yes I am aware and your wrong it wasn't 4. In fact here's a list of all the Dungeons & Dragons video games.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

So was Pool of Radiance. So yes I am aware and your wrong it wasn't 4. In fact here's a list of all the Dungeons & Dragons video games.

I know there is more I listed those 4 as they are the most popular and most of BioWares Employees came from Black Isle.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

I know there is more I listed those 4 as they are the most popular and most of BioWares Employees came from Black Isle.

You lost me buddy I have no idea why with my original comment you would bring up what games took place in the Forgotten Realms setting and then mention Bioware employees coming from Black Isle. Actually I'll just take the oportunity to ponder if any good srpg will come out of the reborn Black Isle and blame you for the derail with wink and nod. Heck we have yet to see another D&D srpg since Daggerdale. In fact Daggerdale is all that came after NWN last expansion (for spg D&D games).

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Punk999
    To have fun is my point hopefully.

but how can you have fun if you can't spend 18 hours a day for 10 years playing a "deep meaningfull" game? but yea i agree game looks fun and if it plays well ill give it a go.. if i play the beta and I'am sadly let down like i was for defiance ill move on.. plenty others out there and many others coming soon:)

That one wry obsevation captures the essential interrupt that lies behind every bit of the gamer crashing-expectations QQ.

Without this one bit of oddball gamer logic driving the entitlement complexes, this site would cease to be virtually overnight.

Add the "but...it's D&D!" additional pile of expectations, and things cannot help but get ugly.

Bravo, one point deducted for the typo.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Yeah like the Foundry was something we've seen in MMO in the past years... Nothing new at all....

Actually, The Foundry has been a part of Star Trek Online for awhile now so yea, it ain't new...

This game will be a clone copy of STO done to a fantasy theme. The only differance is you'll be buying player classes rather than ships.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

This MMO is not about exploring a big world or anything like that. It will be for people who like a good solid dungeon crawl. Sure it will have PvP and other features but the core of this game calls to me and I hope it has a solid trinity teamed based dungeon focus. That would win some of my money and games time.

If they do this right, I could see my self playing this between MMOs or when my current MMO has become stale and I need  fix. IMO it looks fun.

• drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Talonsin

In DDO when you finish a mission or kill a boss you get an item, in NeverWinter, you will probably get a lockbox that you will need to pay a dollar for a key to open and then find you get +1 pair of socks.

Is anyone else scared of how PW plans to monitize this game?  It surely wont just be from cosmetic items in the shop.   Lets be honest for a moment.  Cryptic has never made a profit that I know of.  Atari sold them off and then PW stopped them from releasing this game in December of 2011.  They have worked on this game for an extra year with no extra revenue coming in.  Now the game will launch with no box cost.  At least STO had a box fee so they got a nice chunk of money up front.  With no inital revenue coming in from box sales, this game had better be fricken amazing and make people want to buy stuff or the lockboxes will be activated shortly after launch.

Wild speculation is NOT welcome here! Come back with a valid argument with evidence and I shall listen. In the mean time, go forth and do your homework this time.

• LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

This MMO is not about exploring a big world or anything like that. It will be for people who like a good solid dungeon crawl. Sure it will have PvP and other features but the core of this game calls to me and I hope it has a solid trinity teamed based dungeon focus. That would win some of my money and games time.

If they do this right, I could see my self playing this between MMOs or when my current MMO has become stale and I need  fix. IMO it looks fun.

You think like i do :)

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

As someone who has played previous Cryptic games and well, hated them, I can say that this game is significantly better than any other Cryptic offers.  Combat is signficantly more fun and fluid, there is decent depth in the systems here, and the game has a lot of content without having dull points.  Plus the foundry system could essentially be worthy of a AAA purchase alone.  I gathered that much from just a few hours of play.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

A game like this...they should have put a ton of classes in and made 6-8 man dungeons.

I really hate 5 man dungeons.

It seems like a game build around the foundry, and that fine, sounds interesting...but everything else seems a bit dry, shallow...lacking.

Like this thread is titled, whats the meta-goal in this game?  I get the GW2 trendy argument "just play it to have fun" but theres a ton of games that offer that and other meta goals.  Am i running foundry events or whatever just to get better gear?  Is there some guild vs guild meta game or dynamic to this game? 

I really wish developers would spend a bit of their time on the meta game issue...whats the longstanding drive to play this once the new and shiney wears off?  MMORPGs never really needed this tbh, untill they decided that anyone who plays for a month should be maxed out on character and content.