Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game herald's a new age of MMORPGs for the West.

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

All I can say is the game is all it was plus a whole big super-buster bag of chips with battleground queueing.

The pvp aspect is basically like what Warhammer was in it's prime. 

If you're looking for 15v15 type battles with everybody contributing in unique ways, TERA has got to be the best choice right now, and probably for the next couple of months.

Plus it's got such a silly and playful aspect that you can't help but become enamored.

It's Free to Play and it's Tons of Fun.

Once word gets around this could easily kill WoW.  For real...

Comments

• CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by holdenhamlet

All I can say is the game is all it was plus a whole big super-buster bag of chips with battleground queueing.

If you're looking for 15v15 type battles with everybody contributing in unique ways, TERA has got to be the best choice right now, and probably for the next couple of months.

Plus it's got such a silly and playful aspect that you can't help but become enamored.

Someone has been smoking too much weed, if you think this game could kill WoW.

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55
    I agree, it's the best mmo on the market atm
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

While the 3v3 arena is quite fun and has interesting META game I find the 15v15 is more of a zerg fest but still can be fun, queueing with 5 friends and stomping is the best way to enjoy that.

On a side note... why the kill WoW comment? Nothing will kill WoW but Blizzard, nothing will even come close to killing WoW.

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I'm having so much fun with the game, and i can't wait to buy the cool mounts in the cash shop. The combat is amazing and the BAMS are so unique and look astounding! I did wish it was less grindy, but WTH every game is grindy.
  • JabshakkJabshakk Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Tera is a fun game I enjoy playing it, but saying it will kill world of warcraft..... nah. I don't even play wow, never liked the game, but I tell you, it will be around for a long long time. Just like Eq, Uo, ect ect.
  • GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

I was enjoying your post right up until the last lines about WoW. Most people have realized by now that WoW will mostly burn out due to its own issues and time.

Either way, TERA is a lot of fun.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

You know i poked my head in game, having not been back since like a month or two after launch.

I got bit by the tera bug, the combat mechanics and scenery got me.

However, i do remember quite vividly what happens with this game.  You think its the best damn game out, until you grow weary of the grindy quest hubbing, the total lack of itemization, and the realization that not a whole lot lies in front of you at endgame, even now with a single battleground. Top it off with guild war mechanics that just sees you jumping a lone enemy should the occasion arise, or get jumped by packs of enemy players while your off grinding those quest hubs...it gets old and lacks a whole lot of substance.  Pity too, the combat mechanics and scenery are second to none as it stands...its just with this game, it lacks completely any other aspect other than looks and combat....and to be honest, doesnt quite utilize its awesome combat mechanics nearly as much as it could, offering more than quest hubs, a few dungeons, and the chance to duel/gank/get ganked...of and that one battle ground reserved for endgame.

They need to offer a reason to farm mobs, more than the quest hub spam, and a real reason to fight amonst eachother, other than the pointless trip to bind.  And yeah, the pvp servers...suffer from poorly implimented FFA pvp mechanics.

What you have is a ton of high level pkers one shotting noobs, what this does is place a lot of high level good guys on these maps.  So when you get into a situation where you actually want to pk someone in level range whos being obnoxious, you just get one shot the second you go red by good guys, or farmed thereafter.  It eliminates the good kind of FFA pvp and replaces it with the bad kind.  Not that it really matters you can just hop to a dead instance i guess and avoid it all...

Truth be told, the game still has all the same issues that made most leave, but the mechanics of combat and scenery can be a fantastic time until it all wears on you as being nothing more than eye candy and some fun mechanics that get stale after the grind wears you down...given theres no real reason to fight those mobs other than completing the quest...lack of itemization ect.

Hopefully i get a bit further in game than i did back when it was new.  Right now im loving it, like i did when i first played it.  I just know whats comming down the road for me. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    yeah seriosuly why would you troll and throw in the wow comments on what would be a good endorcement of tera? It is a awesome quality free to play game with a decent combat system and decent pvp. People here mostly agree with you but why start a flame war talking smack about wow ??
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Let me guess....So next you will say "Wow was the first MMO" ?

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's nice to see people talking about the game in a possitive light. I'm sure the haters will be along soon but.... It's a fun game if it fits your style and it should always have been a free to play game.

I think the game will do well now that more people can try it without having to pay. The type of people that liek this kind of game will buy the things the store offers.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I'm happy you just recently started playing this when it went F2P; most people played when it actually released well over a year ago.

It was average then and nothing has really changed since. The content additions over the last 12 months have been next to nothing. Battlegrounds (which have actually been in KTERA for a very long time, a single raid, some class changes and a new dungeon.

Hate to break it to you bud but TERA is a failed MMO in Korea, it was a huge flop in Japan and the subscribers went so low in the West that it was forced to go F2P.

That said: their F2P model is great, the game looks shiny and it's well worth your time for a few months until you run the limited content dry.

This game isn't even a Rift killer, let alone a WoW killer. If anything being forced into a F2P model means it was just killing itself ultimately.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by SuperNick

Hate to break it to you bud but TERA is a failed MMO in Korea, it was a huge flop in Japan and the subscribers went so low in the West that it was forced to go F2P.

That said: their F2P model is great, the game looks shiny and it's well worth your time for a few months until you run the limited content dry.

Hate to break it to you but uhmmm... F2P has turned it around in Korea and it has climbed the game ranks from 21 to 11 in just a month. The extra revenue has put BHS into content mode, they just released a raid and are releasing a huge PvP/Political system update in February as well as three new raids shortly after that. 

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

That ship has already sailed, my friend, and the beast with 10 million eyes remains unchallenged.  I say this not as a fanboy, but as someone who got burned out on WoW long ago and can't bear to return.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

I think someone trolling. Or has been smoking too much weed indeed. Game that failed as P2P, with same old quest hub treadmill in PvE as well as zerg vs zerg PvP (old AV with its endless battles was better anyway) and most boring 1 vs 1 PvP? Anything Tera can kill is itself.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Hate to break it to you but uhmmm... F2P has turned it around in Korea and it has climbed the game ranks from 21 to 11 in just a month. The extra revenue has put BHS into content mode, they just released a raid and are releasing a huge PvP/Political system update in February as well as three new raids shortly after that. 

How is that "turned it around"? Making enough money to hire a few contract developers for a few months to create some content and going up in this seemingly gospel gaming rank is hardly vaulting the ladders of success. Games that go F2P get an influx of new players for a while, of course it will go up the population ranks for a bit. The reason it really doesn't matter is that most of those people won't be spending a dime on the game, so them being there now that it is free really makes no difference to when they weren't there before.

A failed game is a subjective term, sure. Maybe it's better to call it a "declining" game but frankly TERA never really had a great peak, it basically just declined rapidly. LOTRO went F2P but at least it had some good success for quite a few years there.

My version of a failed game: a game that endured rapid population loss, server merges and was forced to close or go F2P to eek out some more cash while it still can.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by Raventree

That ship has already sailed, my friend, and the beast with 10 million eyes remains unchallenged.  I say this not as a fanboy, but as someone who got burned out on WoW long ago and can't bear to return.

doubt wow has anything near that amount of players. i would say maybe 7-8 million is more realistic. but i have to agree that tera never will achieve those numbers. i started to play it when they released the unlimitted trial. am now lvl 60 but the end-game content is not what would keep me play it for a long time. i just miss the raids. not only pve but also pvp-raids (sieges, rvr etc).

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I bought & played TERA when it came out in Europe, i must agree it has beautiful graphics & fun combat but that´s about it.

Questing becomes boring and tedious very fast...moving from quest hub to quest hub killing everything alive in the maps. Go kill this...go back to turn quest...now go kill that...go back...now kill this other one...over & over & over....

Beeing FTP now is a plus i would recomended it to anyone since it´s not a bad game,you can still have fun for a while....but for me it´s not the best MMO out there like some claim...for me it grew boring too fast.

my 2 cents

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50

Horrible controls. Getting motion sicknes after 5min playing.... uninstall :(

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

How is that "turned it around"? Making enough money to hire a few contract developers for a few months to create some content and going up in this seemingly gospel gaming rank is hardly vaulting the ladders of success. Games that go F2P get an influx of new players for a while, of course it will go up the population ranks for a bit. The reason it really doesn't matter is that most of those people won't be spending a dime on the game, so them being there now that it is free really makes no difference to when they weren't there before.

A failed game is a subjective term, sure. Maybe it's better to call it a "declining" game but frankly TERA never really had a great peak, it basically just declined rapidly. LOTRO went F2P but at least it had some good success for quite a few years there.

My version of a failed game: a game that endured rapid population loss, server merges and was forced to close or go F2P to eek out some more cash while it still can.

your version is probably the same as everyone elses version of a failed game imo, going f2p does improve things for a while, but its a temporary fix at the end of the day. image

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Bad cash shop is bad.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the option to trade CS currency for in-game currency, but I hope Tera is not the way things are headed in the west...

As for the game itself, I still plan to download it again when I get my gaming pc up and running.  I just know I don't like the cash shop and I refuse to spend real money on it.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I was very excited to play this game again when it went F2P this week.  Created a new toon on the new PVP server.  I was quickly reminded why I stopped playing in the first place...the quest hubs and the completely uninteresting story.  I love the graphics and combat of this game.  The PVP is fun as well.  But the quests just kill it for me.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I will say I had a lot more fun on TERA than I did on GW2 or SWTOR overall, but that's really not saying much. Have yet to try it again since it went F2P, may give it another shot.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, I like this game FAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR better than wow. Warts and all.

But I don't think it can ever kill WoW. Though I don't believe in many games killing other games, they tend to kill themselves.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

En Masse is the most worthless company in the MMO field, imo. I've been trying to access the alledged free game to try it out, but every time I login on the site and click the Play for Free button, it takes me to my account page (finally since for 2 days I got nothing but server errors), and then when I click on the Add Game button, it takes me to the En Masse store where there are no "free" options to download the game. Is this B2P? Never had so many issues trying to access a F2P game. No wonder EnMasse is spiraling down the commode. I can only assume the folks who are playing this POS were originally paying customers that transitioned to F2P. 

@ OP - EnMasse isn't even worthy to wipe away Blizzard's nut-sweat - and I hate WoW (in its current form)!

Okay, the above was harsh, but it is frustrating. Obviously I'm missing something for downloading this thing. Technology is hard for old people.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Bad cash shop is bad.  Maybe I'm spoiled by the option to trade CS currency for in-game currency, but I hope Tera is not the way things are headed in the west...

As for the game itself, I still plan to download it again when I get my gaming pc up and running.  I just know I don't like the cash shop and I refuse to spend real money on it.

Does it really matter what people who would never spend money on a game think ? That's like asking a bum what he thinks of government spending...