Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter priced to high.

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

What is this illusion that gamers are rich?

It would have been better if they sold their VIP Founder Pack for, at most, $40.00.  Then there would have been a lot of peeps riding around on spiders and no one jealous.  Selling it a $200 is to much and stupid.  Now only a few peeps will pay $199.99 and PWE will get less money for their greed.  Guardian Pack should of been $20 and Starter Kit is garbage.

I would not go thru the torment of a beta if someone paid me; any beta.  They should have sold that separately for the masochists at any price from $600 to $60.  Let the silly rich people think they're getting a deal with beta access.  

Comments

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

It does seem a bit pricey. They did the same thing with STO lifetime though.

The good news is the game at release is going to be free to play so if you just be patient you don't have to pay anything.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    t is a bit up there, but then again, if you like a game enough, youll buy that content. And besides, want to make more money
    . Get a better education and a better job.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• DevironDeviron Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by killahh
     Get a better education and a better job.

You need a better education.  If you had one you would know that statement is full of so much ignorance.

Some people cannot afford such luxuries. Kids, current status in life beyond work, and many more reasons can make it hard to spend 60$ on something they are not quite sure about.

To me its a money grab, but that is how the world works.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

It would have been better if they sold their VIP Founder Pack for, at most, $40.00.  Then there would have been a lot of peeps riding around on spiders and no one jealous.  Selling it a $200 is to much and stupid.  Now only a few peeps will pay $199.99 and PWE will get less money for their greed.  Guardian Pack should of been $20 and Starter Kit is garbage.

I would not go thru the torment of a beta if someone paid me; any beta.  They should have sold that separately for the masochists at any price from $600 to $60.  Let the silly rich people think they're getting a deal with beta access.  

The best part abou it is, if you don't find value for your money, you don't have to spend it.  You will still be able to play the game. Everyone wins.

Did you read the original post or just reply to me with "whats your point?" twice?

The OP made a comment about the cost of the pre orders for yes dare I say a free to play game.

Someone made an ignorant post about needing a job.

I replied that sometimes its not as easy  as one would think. Again I replied specifically about the job comment not anything to do with free to play that was not the original conversation.

You asked whats your point?

This should help you with your understanding.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Deviron

You need a better education.  If you had one you would know that statement is full of so much ignorance.

Some people cannot afford such luxuries. Kids, current status in life beyond work, and many more reasons can make it hard to spend 60$ on something they are not quite sure about.

It's free to play.  How much of a money grab is that?

I don't get your point about people who can't afford luxuries and how unfair that is.  What's your point?

The point is that it's f2p and people are paying $200 for it and you don't even get anything in the mail..  It's the biggest mmo money grab I have ever seen.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    I agree with the OP - $200 is comical.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Sooo you don't know that the games free to download and free to play? Sad how little research people do before they post threads like this.

End the end whats so special about a spider mount if everyone has one? Nothing. While i could care less what random player X is riding it would seem the whole point of the spider munt being pricey and rare IS the jealously factor.

So in the end your not complaining that the game cost too much as its free your complaining that you can't be Drizzt and ride a ultra cool spider mount to make everyone else in the game jealous of you for cheaper.

Originally posted by Torvaldr  they're jealous

Where is does the OP say he is jealous?

Screw this im done reading comprehension FTL.

Im quickly reminded why i have an 04 account and only 14 posts.

• rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

When he says "silly rich people."  He and you can deny it till kingdom come want but this is just more class warfare that has invaded our culture. AKA jealousy.

It is a F2P game and no one is being forced to purchase. 

I could afford it but no way. IMO it is not worth it but to someone else it may be and it is none of my damn business how someone else may chhose to spend their cash.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I gotta wonder. If the game is free to play, why does it cost 200 bucks?

Oh, its going  to be free.  Right now 200 dollars.

They still aren't talking about the monetization in the game.

It might be free to play, one hour a week. Who knows?

They have to make some money somehow, its a brand new game.

This game may not be as free as everyone thinks.

DDO is free too. But you are gonna grind or pay to access the best instances.

Speaking of instances.

Didn't everyone Bash the livin chit out of - DDO, STO, CO, TOR for being too instanced??

How is this any better?

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

It's free to play.  How much of a money grab is that?

I don't get your point about people who can't afford luxuries and how unfair that is.  What's your point?

The point is that it's f2p and people are paying $200 for it and you don't even get anything in the mail..  It's the biggest mmo money grab I have ever seen.

its free to play the game was not free to develop / produce / launch so how exactly are they holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy founder packs? If people want to support the game good for them, for those that don't and just want to play for free thats there as well. if this is the biggest money grab you have ever seen then you either have alot of growing to do or simply don't get out much in the real world.(or the internet for that matter either)

Serously any sub based game (and I'm prosubs) or B2P game is more of a money grab as they actually require you to spend money to play and then generally more money in their also included cash shops. 

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

The game is free to download

The game is free to play

the packages are 20 bucks, 60 bucks and 200 bucks...

If the game is free all around and they offer packages for players to get access to a "closed beta" that is thier right.. In this world nothing is free but but again its another demand of the gimme generation..

i want all the goodies but not the work that goes into getting it...

I want access to the content that pretty much gives the player the look and style of Drizzt Do'Urrden The most iconic drow hero to come from the depths of Chaos and its being offered for 200 bucks????

hell that makes perfect sense to me for the gimme generations mentallity... There is nothing to buy for this game at launch... get a clue people its "Free"

So they have the absolute right to set prices for thier beta access.. it is closed btw .. so not every lil whining fool can get in and ruin it before its released. I for one am going to get the 60 dollar pack.. its not that i dont want to be Drizzt its just that for a beta.. well, i wanna play it before i jump too far in.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

Screw this im done reading comprehension FTL.

Im quickly reminded why i have an 04 account and only 14 posts.

The OP is the one that brought up jealousy.   If discussing things with people frustrates you then keeping your post count low is probably a good idea.

Read it again and come back when you understand what he meant by his word of jealous.

If i went by your blazing logic I could write sentence put murder in it and that would make me a murderer lmao.

Classic

It would have been better if they sold their VIP Founder Pack for, at most, $40.00.  Then there would have been a lot of peeps riding around on spiders and no one would care.  Selling it a $200 is to much and stupid.  Now only a few peeps will pay $199.99 and PWE will get less money for their greed.  Guardian Pack should of been $20 and Starter Kit is garbage.

Fixed it for you in case you couldnt understand it.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I too agree with the op, what some people fail to understand is that this game is not a AAA mmorpg and so does not warrant such a high price tag, Ofcourse Cryptic can charge what they want and they have.

Cryptic needs to realize that there are alot of gamers who paid good money for a crap game called STO, most gamers i know feel like they were conned.So really you would of thought that their Public Relations Department would have told the people incharge that a resonable charge for said packs would have done then a world of good.

My opinion about Cryptic is that this game is going to be make or break for them, i know they belong to PWorld now but i doubt that will save them.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No. Selling the price the market can bear is called good business. If there is no demand, they will lower the price. Why should they put up a lower price first? Let's see how many rich people will buy first .. THEN lower the price.

Originally posted by paulytheb

Speaking of instances.

Didn't everyone Bash the livin chit out of - DDO, STO, CO, TOR for being too instanced??

How is this any better?

No its free to play. If you want a armored spidermount, a panther companion the ability to play drizzt and several other things to include beta, and you don't want to try and get these things in game then it cost $200.

No they aren't gonna limite play time to 1 hour a week.

If you watch the total biscut live stream you'll see he asked if thing thats could be pruchased would be able to be aquired in game as well the answer which we assume is the truth was that yes they can be.

yes the game IS heavily instanced . if your a no instance open world even if it lags me to death and i have to wait in line for 5 hours to kill a boss mob purest then yes you probably should avoid this game

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Did you read the original post or just reply to me with "whats your point?" twice?

The OP made a comment about the cost of the pre orders for yes dare I say a free to play game.

I replied that sometimes its not as easy  as one would think. Again I replied specifically about the job comment not anything to do with free to play that was not the original conversation.

There is no pre-order.  It doesn't cost anything but your bandwidth and time to download and play the game.

The person who made the point about working for it is spot on.  There is an optional luxury pack.  If you can't afford it then don't buy it.  No sympathy for that from me.

If we were talking about shelter, food, and necessities and someone complained that they're employment didn't cover that even though they work hard, then I would have sympathy and compassion.  That is a hard place to be.

Self-entitlement and bitching because you dont get the same luxuries as everyone and are jealous about it is pathetic and rude.  This is especially true because they don't charge you to play the game.

Totally agree with this.  $200 is a lot of money but they're giving you alot for it.  If you don't want to pay it that's totally up to you.  You won't be missing much and yeah so you get into beta.. so what?  There will be many other options and chances to get in.  Relax.

• CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140
    No. He didn't read it. He paid someone to read it for him. He wouldn't understand and he would pay someone else to read your comment and his understanding of what you wrote in your lost post would go without understanding. In other words, he can't read.
  • adkenneradkenner Member Posts: 18

Speaking of instances.

How is this any better?

You're wrong. First of all I spent 60 bucks....which is pretty much the standard cost of any new console or PC game....and I now have full access to the game. I will be playing all weekend. I also got some "bonus" stuff like a mount and some convienence items that in the long run will be available to everyone that wants them. I certainly didnt even have to spend that...I wanted to. I know 2 other people that ended up with beta keys without spending a dime. So again...you are flat out wrong. The game doesnt cost anything. 

Second...you're wrong again. The game is F2P. That has been stated and confirmed a milion times now. Will there be some restrictions...yes...like # of character slots and things like that....but you have the OPTION of buying more. If you really end up liking the game I will bet you wont mind spending the money. If you don't really like it you can still roll 2 characters and play for free. 

You seem to dislike the idea of a cash shop. Well the only way to avoid that is to go full sub model...and even those games tend to have cash shops (sparkle pony). Tell me ONE game that is entirely free to play? The game HAS to make money somehow...otherwise there wont be a game for long. Would you rather have adds in the game? Perhaps making you sit through a 60 second commercial every time you entered a zone?

To me is sounds very obvious that you wanted to play the beta this weekend, you couldn't afford the 60 bucks to get the founders pack...and so now you're pissed and trying to bash a game you've never played. If you would get busy hitting various sites instead of making incorrect posts, you could easily get yourself a key for the 2nd beta weekend coming up at the end of the month. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by winter

Speaking of instances.

How is this any better?

No its free to play. If you want a armored spidermount, a panther companion the ability to play drizzt ................

It IS NOT Drizzt.

• CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140

No. He didn't read it. He paid someone to read it for him. He wouldn't understand and he would pay someone else to read your comment and his understanding of what you wrote in your last post would go without understanding. In other words, he can't read.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by sibs4455

I too agree with the op, what some people fail to understand is that this game is not a AAA mmorpg and so does not warrant such a high price tag, Ofcourse Cryptic can charge what they want and they have.

Cryptic needs to realize that there are alot of gamers who paid good money for a crap game called STO, most gamers i know feel like they were conned.So really you would of thought that their Public Relations Department would have told the people incharge that a resonable charge for said packs would have done then a world of good.

My opinion about Cryptic is that this game is going to be make or break for them, i know they belong to PWorld now but i doubt that will save them.

And you know this from your many years of developing MMO's I take it? Or are you yet another person that has played games for x amount of years, and believe themselves to be an expert?

What has happened to the MMO community. When did it become filled with so many whiners.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

You don't get a "lot" for your $200. You really don't even get a lot for your $60 - and well, the $20 pack isn't worth that much either.

Expensive is a subjective term of course - one man's expensive is another man's chump change. However, one universal law does apply to the poor, the middle class and the rich: are you getting value for your money?

Frankly, no. In my opinion they're all overpriced for what they are.

That said, it's a free game. No buy to play, no sub.

I just think they're missing a trick here by charging so much - yes they'll get some sales, but they could really capture a lot more with:

a) more bang for your buck (visit to Cryptic studios, a collectors edition box with soundtrack and figure etc)

b) selling access to the beta for $5

c) lowering the price somewhat for a higher turnover

PS: It's not a triple AAA MMO for the record. It's a rehashed, modified version of their Champions/STO engine which has had quite a short development time, from a relatively small team. It's middle ground production value, hence why it's not even buy-to-play like say Defiance.