Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Universe Project

TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Right, this is my second time writing this and let's see if I can appear to be a little bit coherant behind what I wish to talk about, for I have as of yet not seen any 'press' per se on this games development. If I am honest, I cannot for the life of me recall where I initially heard about it. Just that I stumbled across it on one of my many bouts of insomina.

When I found out about this game 'The Universe Project' I just signed up to the newsletter after being somewhat impressed by their creative vision about what they aim to achieve. It was recently I received an email that contained more information on what's going on. It struck me as odd, that being an MMORPG I have seen nothing mentioned on this WIP other than from the source directly.

So, I searched here, and as I said before I could not find anything further on the matter and wish to discuss it further.

The game itself is set to be a browser based game, first edition of which will be an isometric view (Think Diablo, Path of Exile or even Civ perspective) to which they later date, with more funding aim to have the game have full 3D. Mobile devices will retain the isometric view for compactability but the other all aim is to have the game available on many devices all interacting with a single environment.

The environment that this is being set on is a 'fictional' planet Earth which will retain its actual size and scope. Meaning that if you as an avatar was to walk from one end of the planet to the other, it would take you over a year to do so.

The aim is that the game sets everyone in the stone age, to which you bound together as a community and work your way up to the modern era. The means to do so are lwft to your own devices. You could become a lord and found a town and grow it into a city or metropolis. You could be a conquer of nations, you could be a simple farmer toiling in the fields looking to make a trade for yourself. You can also go down more evil routes such as being a serial killer, or a Lex Luther meglomanic. The choices, and consequences are ultimately your own in this community driven game.

The end goal is to see how well, we as a community grow together, do we push together into the space age and explore the stars? Or do we ravage the land of resources and blow the planet up?

Now the website http://startonate.appspot.com explains what I am trying to say and a lot more and it just takes email registration to get involved in the debate online and to get first hand answers to any lingering questions. They also have a refer link available to which is used to help spread the word about the game which will also reward you with pre-alpha access. This is my own, and I would appreciate a refer if you have the time http://startonate.appspot.com/?ref=dHN1bW9yb0BnbWFpbC5jb20_

I am not the most 'gifted' individual of communication and I would advise that should any of what I have said has 'piqued' your interest in any way shape of form that you go directly to the source of it via the website link I have stated above.

I, for one am excited about the possibilities of this game and truely hope it comes into fruition without my hopes and dreams being too dashed.

Thank you for your time.

Tsumoro

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Why is the information being hidden behind a referral link and requiring providing an email to you or them or whoever? 

Why not just give us the information in public?

And for those curious enough, you'll find the link without the included referral here: http://startonate.appspot.com/  But until you give them some of your own information you'll only see a video that repeats the same 'What if..." question stated above.

Personally, I'll look at it when the information is publicly available without having to provide personal information or 'liking' something on some website that gathers and sells personal information.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Grunty

Why is the information being hidden behind a referral link and requiring providing an email to you or them or whoever? 

Why not just give us the information in public?

And for those curious enough, you'll find the link without the included referral here: http://startonate.appspot.com/  But until you give them some of your own information you'll only see a video that repeats the same 'What if..." question stated above.

Personally, I'll look at it when the information is publicly available without having to provide personal information or 'liking' something on some website that gathers and sells personal information.

My apologies, I was not trying to be deceptive in any regards. I initially said to click 'my' link which meant my ref link. However I hyperlinked it as 'here' rather than posting the ref link as text then hyper linking it as you have done. To be honest, to do it in that method didn't cross my mind until I saw you do it. I have edited my initial post to amend that error. My apologies again.

The website has a trailer video on it which kinda details what I said above. However, if you put your email address in to show your interest behind the project it takes you to a further information page with more details and videos, a bit about the creator and his intentions.

However, I do concede that not everyone is willing to give out their email address, in truth, nor am I. But I have a specific email I address I use solely for the purposes of gaming which holds no personal information about me. Currently I understand the creators are looking for places to be able to plug their development so I assume some places might be picking this up in a little bit which hopefully apease.

If people are not willing to go to the site, thats fine. For me I would like this game to come about because I love the concept behind it. As it is also an MMORPG I felt this would be a good place to talk about it, to which I am still actively looking to do if people are interested in doing so.

In closing I shall post their two current videos that are from YouTube which shows the concept as well as what they are aiming for and how far along they are with it.

Video 1

Video 2

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Tsu, man... from reading your PoE posts, you seem like a genuine and great guy, but dammit, bro, the way you wrote this post it just reaks of shill, and your join date/postcount isn't help either. I get the feeling you are just truly excited about this game, and if I didn't know a damn thing about game design I would be, too, so I kinda feel bad that the majority of people that read this post are going to see nothing but a massive pile of red flags and just back away slowly.

1. Hey guys, anyone around here seen this before?
    2. [feature list of create, build, do anything]
    3. Argumentum ad populum
    4. Referral link
    5. The website says it better than I can, just sign up and you can see it all
    6. I'm really excited about it

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Tsu, man... from reading your PoE posts, you seem like a genuine and great guy, but dammit, bro, the way you wrote this post it just reaks of shill, and your join date/postcount isn't help either. I get the feeling you are just truly excited about this game, and if I didn't know a damn thing about game design I would be, too, so I kinda feel bad that the majority of people that read this post are going to see nothing but a massive pile of red flags and just back away slowly.

3. Argumentum ad populum
    4. Referral link

I can't argue with your observation, I have... let's say, challenged mental health which sometimes make coherant thought a little difficult. Speaking wise I am fine, but when it comes to text, I am all over the place, I'm hitting wild! Good posts from me, is like finding a dimaond in the rough as they say.  Not so much the content of the discussion, more so the execution behind it.

As a forum, I wanted my voice to be heard, as inane and jumbled as it might appear to be. Perhaps I shall revisit the initial posting, with your reccomendation of style as a guideline.

:)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Tsumoro

3. Argumentum ad populum
    4. Referral link

I can't argue with your observation, I have... let's say, challenged mental health which sometimes make coherant thought a little difficult. Speaking wise I am fine, but when it comes to text, I am all over the place, I'm hitting wild! Good posts from me, is like finding a dimaond in the rough as they say.  Not so much the content of the discussion, more so the execution behind it.

As a forum, I wanted my voice to be heard, as inane and jumbled as it might appear to be. Perhaps I shall revisit the initial posting, with your reccomendation of style as a guideline.

Nonononono... that wasn't a recommendation of style. :)  Dude, your post is fine. Don't change a thing about it. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Tsumoro

3. Argumentum ad populum
    4. Referral link

Nonononono... that wasn't a recommendation of style. :)  Dude, your post is fine. Don't change a thing about it. image

Haha too late, its fine. For looking back on it... it just wasn't wrtitten that well. Not to say I 'write' well but I should try harder to get my point made, if there is one to be had. Plus, I didn't want it to sound.. deceptive in regards to the refer link. Of course that benefits me, but I didn't want it to be like 'Oh here is something I want in on and I am going to be a tricksy hobbit and be all aloof about it encouraging you to click the said link in my initial post.'

So please, don't sweat it. :)