Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG-Fan

Comments

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by KaylettaJade
    Originally posted by ignore_me

That sounds like a great system actually. I would hope that they look into the quality variability thing though. It's a milestone for a crafter to have a super batch of steel from months back when the market goes dry on high quality steel :) (or items made from high quality steel).

That leads to the hoarding of resources, rather than their use, and hoarding resources is something the devs have said they don't want to see happen in Repop. More than once I've seen people say "Oh I had a thousand amazing whatever resource still sitting in my bank when SWG shut down". Personally, I don't see how it would be an improvement to create a system that encourages people to do that.

I am a hoarder in any game that I play, so what is going to prevent it anyway? In SWG you saved back the best stuff for when spawns were weak. It wasn't like I had tons of it just to collect it, I had it saved back to make good stuff during the bad times. And, I would give it to guildies when they were out. Put a time limit on its use if hoarding is an issue, but please look at putting stats on it. Or, decay it after so long to prevent hoarding.

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by IG-88

That leads to the hoarding of resources, rather than their use, and hoarding resources is something the devs have said they don't want to see happen in Repop. More than once I've seen people say "Oh I had a thousand amazing whatever resource still sitting in my bank when SWG shut down". Personally, I don't see how it would be an improvement to create a system that encourages people to do that.

It creates a dynamic player economym where you have to be strategic and cunning in order to get rich :-)

Btw, instanced player housing, ive seen posts on that, what does it mean?

And if you leave the game, the best ore ever dropped may sit and rot for weeks or months, maybe years. What's the point in that?

Instanced player housing will be available to everyone who wants a plot. These houses are not in the persistent world and are completely safe. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe they have no maintenance costs either. Persistent world housing will be limited, have maintenance costs, but it will also be safe. Housing in player cities will not be safe, a successful siege will destroy the building (but not your stuff!), but maintenance costs/taxes/etc, if there will be any, haven't been finalized yet.

@bigsmiff - Lots of people like to hoard resources, and I don't think the intention is to tell you that you can't. But there's no good reason to make it virtually mandatory to do so.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143

And if you leave the game, the best ore ever dropped may sit and rot for weeks or months, maybe years. What's the

Leave the game? "I find your lack of faith disturbing", a wise man once said!!

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I never played SWG.

You missed something special.

Good luck with Repopulation, looking forward to it.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

No offense KaylettaJade... But do you work on the repopulation team? or are you a kickstart investor/fan? I mean no offense but, I'm sure you do understand if the latter your fielding question for josh and his team and it's apparent you lack of understanding regrading the finer semantics of how crafting and building up resources functions in almost every MMO since inception. And the fact you seem more "fan" which always entails a certain amount zealotry and hard line personal beliefs/ideas are applied to a MMO that's very much still being developed and very well will change to appeal to a broader audience.

Plus the fact this MMO is almost in every respect a Star Wars Galaxies clone, and has someone fielding questions who has never played SWG in any of it forms.

Again I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway, but being a HeroEengine developer and seeing Josh on the Hero forums, I think it would be in the best interest of his game to NOT interject your own wishes/beliefs on a MMO that's still changing and being developed.

Best Wishes...

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

Originally posted by NC-John

No offense KaylettaJade... But do you work on the repopulation team? or are you a kickstart investor/fan? I mean no offense but, I'm sure you do understand if the latter your fielding question for josh and his team and it's apparent you lack of understanding regrading the finer semantics of how crafting and building up resources functions in almost every MMO since inception. And the fact you seem more "fan" which always entails a certain amount zealotry and hard line personal beliefs/ideas are applied to a MMO that's very much still being developed and very well will change to appeal to a broader audience.

Plus the fact this MMO is almost in every respect a Star Wars Galaxies clone, and has someone fielding questions who has never played SWG in any of it forms.

Again I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway, but being a HeroEengine developer and seeing Josh on the Hero forums, I think it would be in the best interest of his game to NOT interject your own wishes/beliefs on a MMO that's still changing and being developed.

Best Wishes...

I am a part of the team, but none of my answers are my own personal beliefs unless they say so specifically (as in "Personally, blah blah blah"). I could link back to a dev post on the Repop boards for every single question I've answered over here, but I figured that would be a tad redundant.

I didn't play SWG, but that matters not one iota in respect to The Repopulation. I'm perfectly capable of parroting the devs, which is basically all I've done over here, without having played that. Also, we're not SWG or SWG 2.0, and I can give you a link back to the devs (Josh and JC both) saying that exact thing on the official boards. I can also give you one where the devs state they took more inspiration from Vanguard than SWG in terms of crafting.

I'm not offended. Honestly, it's nice to see someone caring whether the game gets dragged through the mud, but I don't release information or give my random opinions as gospel, I merely help spread what the devs have already publically said. They're very vocal and upfront on the official forums, but they're also super busy, so them coming over here to reanswer questions isn't necessary. As for me coming across as a fan, I am one. I'm working on the team because I believe in their vision and what they're trying to accomplish. That makes me a fan, albeit a working one, and I'm good with that.

I can also give you one where the devs state they took more inspiration from Vanguard than SWG in terms of crafting.

That is very discouraging to be honest. Even though Vanguard has a decent crafting system, it pales in comparison to SWG. I thought Vanguard and EQ2 made crafting into a mini game more than a complex system. I am still interested to see the finished product, but this could be a deal breaker for me.

Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I can also give you one where the devs state they took more inspiration from Vanguard than SWG in terms of crafting.

That is very discouraging to be honest. Even though Vanguard has a decent crafting system, it pales in comparison to SWG. I thought Vanguard and EQ2 made crafting into a mini game more than a complex system. I am still interested to see the finished product, but this could be a deal breaker for me.

Since I didn't play SWG, it's really hard for me to gauge exactly where on the scale Repop will sit, but crafting is definitely going to be complex and meaningful. Chemistry IS Chemistry. You will literally take rocks, metals, minerals, plants, animal parts, etc and break them down into chemicals and use the chemicals to create complex chemicals or items that will be used by pretty much every single other trade skill. And with virutally everything being crafted, crafting is going to be meaningful.

It isn't exactly Vanguard, but I don't think it's exactly SWG either.

Since I didn't play SWG, it's really hard for me to gauge exactly where on the scale Repop will sit, but crafting is definitely going to be complex and meaningful. Chemistry IS Chemistry. You will literally take rocks, metals, minerals, plants, animal parts, etc and break them down into chemicals and use the chemicals to create complex chemicals or items that will be used by pretty much every single other trade skill. And with virutally everything being crafted, crafting is going to be meaningful.

I just watched the youtube video on the system and it looks interesting. I will definitely be trying it out.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

you are really missing something when you didnt play SWG. Again, it was an unfinished product with a lot of bugs and bad latency (i only played pre NGE and CU), but it kept me crafting and gathering things, and i can say i am not a crafter in other games! but in SWG i wanted to run my shop with special quality stuff. I was running around some planets using my scanner till i found a great spot to harvest. I never had that "fun" and interest to go out gathering as in SWG. In all other games there are nodes which are visible on the screen and on the minimap. not in SWG, there you had to use a scanner, had to find the right metal and then you had to find in which place the most percentage is. And it could be that other people already had their harvesters there. so you had to find another spot. When i remember right, the spots werent static too and depleted so you had to do that frequently.

its a shame for EVERY MMO, especially sandbox, not to copy this system.

combined with the crafting and economy and the whole protection system it was just a nearly perfect sandbox system. In no game before and since then I liked to craft or to gather.

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

Kay is part of our team and doing a lot of resource/recipe work so is fairly well versed in what is going on behind the scenes with the system.  We don't have an identical system to SWG or Vanguard, but have taken a look at many of the crafting systems out there and added a little bit here and there to get to where we are now which is a very robust system that can be simple to use and at the same time very complex such as the creation of fittings.  We should have a very detailed attribute writeup for resources out here in the next few days with a lot of the nitty gritty of how that system works.

As far as grade we have a system that in the background is a 0-1000 system that gets translated to F-A and a subvalue of 0-9 (so F5, A3, A9, etc).  A9 is the highest quality of a resource you can obtain with resources coming from extractable resources in the world and from dead creatures that is used in a wide variety of different recipes.  The values to a degree are random, but the further you get out and the more difficult a creature is the better the chance of getting better resources, but you could get lucky and land an A9 right out of the gate.  As an example we have an ore called calibrite.  It can be found anywhere in the world and there isn't a variant of it, it is calibrite ore.  That is just one ore, there are many others and they can also be refined into alloys to be used as part of the fitting systems for adjusting stats on weapons and armor.

A lot of details coming out about all of this, but our whole game economy is based around crafting and resource gathering, so the system needs to be robust enough to handle that kind of need.

Joshua Halls
    Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

Originally posted by joshuahalls

Kay is part of our team and doing a lot of resource/recipe work so is fairly well versed in what is going on behind the scenes with the system.  We don't have an identical system to SWG or Vanguard, but have taken a look at many of the crafting systems out there and added a little bit here and there to get to where we are now which is a very robust system that can be simple to use and at the same time very complex such as the creation of fittings.  We should have a very detailed attribute writeup for resources out here in the next few days with a lot of the nitty gritty of how that system works.

As far as grade we have a system that in the background is a 0-1000 system that gets translated to F-A and a subvalue of 0-9 (so F5, A3, A9, etc).  A9 is the highest quality of a resource you can obtain with resources coming from extractable resources in the world and from dead creatures that is used in a wide variety of different recipes.  The values to a degree are random, but the further you get out and the more difficult a creature is the better the chance of getting better resources, but you could get lucky and land an A9 right out of the gate.  As an example we have an ore called calibrite.  It can be found anywhere in the world and there isn't a variant of it, it is calibrite ore.  That is just one ore, there are many others and they can also be refined into alloys to be used as part of the fitting systems for adjusting stats on weapons and armor.

A lot of details coming out about all of this, but our whole game economy is based around crafting and resource gathering, so the system needs to be robust enough to handle that kind of need.

I am just glad that we finally have someone that is listening to the crafting community. This is what has me excited:

"but our whole game economy is based around crafting and resource gathering"

Thanks for taking the time to come here and explain things. And, give Kay a raise image

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

We just released an overview of the Crafting Attribute System. You can find that here: http://www.therepopulation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=293%3Acrafting-attribute-system&catid=61%3Anew-frontpage-news&Itemid=428

Looking better each day!

I especially loved this comment:

"One of our goals is to create a fairly complex crafting system. Our economy and ecosystem are designed around the idea that there will be no moderate to high end fitting drops, facilitating a fully player driven world"

Keep on keeping on...

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Played SWG since beta and frankly......Screw SWG so damn sick of hearing about that game. You know i used to think it was so so so so so so so so so good then i started playing again with the SWGemu and wow, man i just realized how many times i quit that game and came back during live and it all flooded back to me....the game was so so. I much preferred teh vanguard crafting to SWG anyways. FLAME ON
  • RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    Played SWG since beta and frankly......Screw SWG so damn sick of hearing about that game. You know i used to think it was so so so so so so so so so good then i started playing again with the SWGemu and wow, man i just realized how many times i quit that game and came back during live and it all flooded back to me....the game was so so. I much preferred teh vanguard crafting to SWG anyways. FLAME ON

No flame. Repops crafting takes a good bit from Vanguard crafting ;)

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

for me it wasnt the crafting especially, it was the whole system together with player run shop (all visible), decaying, gathering...

from all these parts i thought the best is the gathering. it is such a game changer to the crafting. of course this system works just all together.

i am curious for how repop does it, and if it will also get me in.

most i am afraid of the setting, i have to admit, a part what kept me playing SWG was the IP too. playing a bountyhunter was just too funny :-)

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

ROFL. 

For me the game had its good points and its bad points. There are some posters here who are wearing very thick rose colored glasses when talking abot that game. I was there during all of it's phases and the complaints on their forums about it's problems were more rancorous than anything I've seen in any game. I do think the crafting, cities and profession system PRe-NGE were it's best parts and is what's mostly missed by many of us who played it. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by ktanner3

ROFL. 

For me the game had its good points and its bad points. There are some posters here who are wearing very thick rose colored glasses when talking abot that game. I was there during all of it's phases and the complaints on their forums about it's problems were more rancorous than anything I've seen in any game. I do think the crafting, cities and profession system PRe-NGE were it's best parts and is what's mostly missed by many of us who played it. 

People cried pre-NGE and were quitting due to it being too grindy. So, SOE changed it to the NGE and people cried that it wasn't pre-NGE...go figure. I personally preferred the NGE game play. I played it daily for 6 years and never once got burned out with it. It had so much to keep you interested in it.

Originally posted by RocSek

I hope you don't take too much from that system. I wasn't impressed with the mini game style of crafting. Everyone told me to try it because it was complex like SWG and I was very disappointed with it.

• RocSekRocSek Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Thorkune

I hope you don't take too much from that system. I wasn't impressed with the mini game style of crafting. Everyone told me to try it because it was complex like SWG and I was very disappointed with it.

Here is a Video from them back in June. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then but you can get an idea of what they are thinking. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGEKlhhGww

All I heard was... "Well aren't you just a little lolly pop triple dipped in psycho."

Here is a Video from them back in June. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then but you can get an idea of what they are thinking. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yGEKlhhGww

I have seen that video and I think the system looks interesting. I just hope that you decide to make random stats on resources needed to craft. If you don't, all items will eventually be the same and there will still be no uniqueness in the process nor item crafted. I know that there has to be max stats on crafted items, but it should be very hard to achieve. I am amazed at the information that you folks have put out so far. If you continue to listen to the players and implement the things that sandboxers truly want, I believe you will have a hit on your hands.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

ROFL. 

People cried pre-NGE and were quitting due to it being too grindy. So, SOE changed it to the NGE and people cried that it wasn't pre-NGE...go figure. I personally preferred the NGE game play. I played it daily for 6 years and never once got burned out with it. It had so much to keep you interested in it.

The people who were complaining about it being too grindy had already left to play WOW and EQ2. The people that were left were happy with the game and just wanted SOE to fix the bugs and introduce some new quests. They didn't want the entire game turned into a WOW clone. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    I know right? Very exciting stuff!

ROFL. 

The people who were complaining about it being too grindy had already left to play WOW and EQ2. The people that were left were happy with the game and just wanted SOE to fix the bugs and introduce some new quests. They didn't want the entire game turned into a WOW clone. 

I didn't leave it and I thought it was way too grindy. Are you trying to tell me that the holo grind was good?