Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fight for LAND!

124»

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Yinlor

It's this thread that has made me realise why MMOs have really declined so much as of late, it's not the companies, it's the overentitled carebear players.

"Waaaah, wahhhhhhh! It's no fun if people can take my stuff WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

There are a million games out there that cater to your kind, if you want everything to be risk-free and handed to you on a silver platter, play one of those. This looks like a game that actually encourages some degree of thought, some degree of risk/reward.

I can't wait to embark into the world of Archeage and eke out a living, fighting for a chance to build upon protected lands, or if I miss my chance, being forced to duke it out in the wild north where anything goes. It's exciting! It's so refreshing to see an MMO with mechanics that don't solely cater to the whining crybabies this thread appears to have attracted.

I work hard in real life, I'm not a hardcore PVPer, in fact, I don't PVP at all. But that doesn't make this any less exciting to me, if I have a house I'll know I earned it, who knows what possibilities that may entail, becoming a property baron and keeping stakes in highly sought-after plots of land, joining a guild and waging war against others for access to prime land, and this is all just in the housing system! One system among the many this game will be sporting upon release!

If you don't like the look of this, just get out, westernisation better not do anything to this, it's a game that finally caters to the crowd that wants something more from their game than mobs to kill and a crafting system. Some of us enjoy politics and such systems that other games in the genre just plain don't have. It's only as much of a "job" as you make it, just because these people in this particular case are having to camp for a piece of land doesn't mean it'll always be like that! The game has been out for a few weeks, people are going crazy over everything, when things settle down plots will be opening up left, right and centre.

Bring it on Archeage, deliver me an open, fun experience that rewards me for being a good player and not just for paying a sub fee.

I really hope you have a fun time in Archeage, and that it absorbs all of your MMO time.

.... because I sure do not want to be in the same game as people with your attitude, and I will not be playing this kitty litter box of a game.

He's got a point if you ignore the delivery.

And people like him spend less time bashing other titles.  One can dream I suppose.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• YinlorYinlor Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Originally posted by craftseeker

It's this thread that has made me realise why MMOs have really declined so much as of late, it's not the companies, it's the overentitled carebear players.

"Waaaah, wahhhhhhh! It's no fun if people can take my stuff WAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

There are a million games out there that cater to your kind, if you want everything to be risk-free and handed to you on a silver platter, play one of those. This looks like a game that actually encourages some degree of thought, some degree of risk/reward.

I can't wait to embark into the world of Archeage and eke out a living, fighting for a chance to build upon protected lands, or if I miss my chance, being forced to duke it out in the wild north where anything goes. It's exciting! It's so refreshing to see an MMO with mechanics that don't solely cater to the whining crybabies this thread appears to have attracted.

I work hard in real life, I'm not a hardcore PVPer, in fact, I don't PVP at all. But that doesn't make this any less exciting to me, if I have a house I'll know I earned it, who knows what possibilities that may entail, becoming a property baron and keeping stakes in highly sought-after plots of land, joining a guild and waging war against others for access to prime land, and this is all just in the housing system! One system among the many this game will be sporting upon release!

If you don't like the look of this, just get out, westernisation better not do anything to this, it's a game that finally caters to the crowd that wants something more from their game than mobs to kill and a crafting system. Some of us enjoy politics and such systems that other games in the genre just plain don't have. It's only as much of a "job" as you make it, just because these people in this particular case are having to camp for a piece of land doesn't mean it'll always be like that! The game has been out for a few weeks, people are going crazy over everything, when things settle down plots will be opening up left, right and centre.

Bring it on Archeage, deliver me an open, fun experience that rewards me for being a good player and not just for paying a sub fee.

I really hope you have a fun time in Archeage, and that it absorbs all of your MMO time.

.... because I sure do not want to be in the same game as people with your attitude, and I will not be playing this kitty litter box of a game.

Good, and I don't want to spend all my time in a SANDBOX full of people like you crying that they managed to lose their stuff due to their own incompetence, yet still crying as if it's the game's fault. I'm tired of "everybody wins" MMOs where people like you have a field day because you can build a house wherever you like and if someone ransacks it, it doesn't matter because you get to keep all your stuff because you're a special little snowflake and it would be SO unfair for there to have been any risk in doing so.

Right now I'm forced to play WoW as there's no sandbox that caters to my needs, but you don't hear me crying to Blizzard about wanting a more hardcore experience, no, I wait for games that deliver to my needs. Archeage FINALLY delivers upon that and now you people sit here saying that it's too much and you didn't expect to go into a SANDBOX and have to actually, you know, manage your character and your assets. What did you expect?

I don't grief, I don't even PVP, I'm civil to all those I meet, I always learn my class and strive to better myself, "my attitude" on here has nothing to do with what I'm like as a player, I'd wager the types of people like myself interested in this sort of mechanic are better players and people anyway, people who actually want to think for themselves and play in an MMO world and not just Barbie's dreamhouse where they occasionally sell a sword to someone. People who accept a challenge and can accept their own mistakes, people who can strive for perfection and don't moan that the game isn't giving them enough when it shouldn't be in the first place!

I'm incredibly irritated that an exciting story like the OPs comes along that demonstrates land in this game is ACTUALLY going to be worth something and everybody cries that they can't be a special little snowflake and build barbie's dreamhouse on a clifftop. Who in their right mind would have built housing in a dangerous area if you can just queeze yours in wherever you please? Nobody! It's risk/reward, and not just reward/reward like so many games do nowadays, it's exciting, it's different, and if you don't like it then I'm glad, I don't want this to turn into the next WoW where all the overentitled players end up becoming so vocal that the game itself just goes against everything the developers and the original fans wanted for their sake.

Yinlor, if I ever run into you in the fabled Real Life, I'm buying you a beer.  No joke.  Absolute spot-on in your post, mirrors my feelings exactly.  High effing five.

I'm glad to see that there are other people such as yourself out there who enjoy the idea of a real MMO made for people who actually want an MMO and not another glorified loot treadmill, and that's why this game is going to be amazing if they stick to their guns. It'll be nice to enter a game and world where my actions have more bearing than how quickly I'll be acquiring my next purple, and where community will consist of more than a source for guild perks.

• YinlorYinlor Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by azzamasin

And people like him spend less time bashing other titles.  One can dream I suppose.

Are you referring to me? Bashing what?...

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

So. I need a plan.                                 (Sorry to all the haters but this sounds awesome.)

Fortunately there will be plenty of game info from Korea before the game launches here. I must continue reading about the game as much as possible so I am ready to go right from the start.

Gonna level a dps heavy class with some survivability. Hopefully will find a nice group/guild to level with. Gonna hit that content hard. Gotta work on getting my speed up. I've been quite lazy in games lately, because it didn't really matter. This will not be an option in AA. Gotta find the ways to make some coin.

I will worry about stopping to smell the roses later with an alt or something.After all isn't that what alts are for ?

Gonna get me a "city" house with enough space for a small farm, quick fast like. Then I'll need to look into getting a boat. I like to say,"Ahoy!"

Most importantly I have to keep bulking up that main toon. I want to avoid playing any alts at all really for the first month at least, maybe two or three depending on how things go. I might need a bank alt or something, but I don't even think I'm going to create any alts beyond making some plain jane human warriors or something as bank toons and name placeholders for later on a few months down the line.

After some time has passed and I have successfully built up my city house and character, hopefully my group or guild will be ready to move to the wilds of the north continent. Now building a third or fourth housing area might be a little expensive at the start as the OP is stating.I have never been in a poor guild before though so I think it will be OK. I would try to claim three areas in the "safe area" like the OP is stating, and build another with my guild group in the contested zone.

Sure, I'm gonna need some supplies and tools in the "danger zone" house but I will have backup of backups built up safe back at home by that point. I know going in that anything I store there is in danger.  I know it , and I like it.

Sounds like its going to be a lot of work.Something I can really sink my teeth into. It also sounds like a lot of fun.

Those mobs won't be killing themselves, the treasures won't be finding themselves, the boats won't sail themselves and the noobs house near guild property isn't going to knock itself down.

Someone has to do it !  I might just be the right guy for the job.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by paulytheb

So. I need a plan.                                 (Sorry to all the haters but this sounds awesome.)

Fortunately there will be plenty of game info from Korea before the game launches here. I must continue reading about the game as much as possible so I am ready to go right from the start.

Gonna level a dps heavy class with some survivability. Hopefully will find a nice group/guild to level with. Gonna hit that content hard. Gotta work on getting my speed up. I've been quite lazy in games lately, because it didn't really matter. This will not be an option in AA. Gotta find the ways to make some coin.

I will worry about stopping to smell the roses later with an alt or something.After all isn't that what alts are for ?

Gonna get me a "city" house with enough space for a small farm, quick fast like. Then I'll need to look into getting a boat. I like to say,"Ahoy!"

Most importantly I have to keep bulking up that main toon. I want to avoid playing any alts at all really for the first month at least, maybe two or three depending on how things go. I might need a bank alt or something, but I don't even think I'm going to create any alts beyond making some plain jane human warriors or something as bank toons and name placeholders for later on a few months down the line.

After some time has passed and I have successfully built up my city house and character, hopefully my group or guild will be ready to move to the wilds of the north continent. Now building a third or fourth housing area might be a little expensive at the start as the OP is stating.I have never been in a poor guild before though so I think it will be OK. I would try to claim three areas in the "safe area" like the OP is stating, and build another with my guild group in the contested zone.

Sure, I'm gonna need some supplies and tools in the "danger zone" house but I will have backup of backups built up safe back at home by that point. I know going in that anything I store there is in danger.  I know it , and I like it.

Sounds like its going to be a lot of work.Something I can really sink my teeth into. It also sounds like a lot of fun.

Those mobs won't be killing themselves, the treasures won't be finding themselves, the boats won't sail themselves and the noobs house near guild property isn't going to knock itself down.

Someone has to do it !  I might just be the right guy for the job.

B R A V O ! YOU will be the right GUY for the job! 

It seems the REAL fans of Archeage will make this game even better! Also the "speach" from Yinlor it's flawless ! I am so agree with him ! 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114

Being an old UO vet I enjoy games where many different play styles are valid, be it good, nuetral or evil and there is at least some risk/reward type mechanic in play. I can see a whole lot of possibilities opening up from this sort of housing system be it political or nefarious. Alliances and friends will need to be made and maintained (don't want to piss the neighbours off) I can see real estate tycoons making great wealth and claim jumpers taking advantage of misfortune, groups of people actually working together in small towns, crafting hubs and shops springing up everywhere as well as individuals trying to forward their own agenda.

From what I've read about the game so far it looks interesting and fun though the combat looks a little iffy (only a hands on will determine if that is the case) there seems to be a ton of things to do and a beautiful looking world to explore, while it probably wont scratch my old UO itch it's definitely a move in the right direction and I will give it go as soon as I am able to.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Nothing wrong with this system at all, if you don't like it then don't play the game. It's about time some of the current crop of MMO gamers were made to work in MMO's.

Freaking games like GW2 show exactly how bad it has got, everyone get's everything with minimal effort.

Life isn't fare and equal and it's about time a MMO went back to that system, this kind of system builds community's

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    Non-carebear housing system?  Sounds great, I can't wait!

I agree, now I am sure Im going to go pirate so I can loot, murder, and pillage other players shit

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Nothing wrong with this system at all, if you don't like it then don't play the game. It's about time some of the current crop of MMO gamers were made to work in MMO's.

Freaking games like GW2 show exactly how bad it has got, everyone get's everything with minimal effort.

Life isn't fare and equal and it's about time a MMO went back to that system, this kind of system builds community's

That is what people were complaining about - GRIND. Then when a game comes out with not so much grind, guess what, they complain!!!

This MMO won't have any community if the games I have been playing are near anything this one will have.

So far the games looks, MEH. Not that impressive and mostly annoying.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

That is what people were complaining about - GRIND. Then when a game comes out with not so much grind, guess what, they complain!!!

This MMO won't have any community if the games I have been playing are near anything this one will have.

So far the games looks, MEH. Not that impressive and mostly annoying.

What a terrible disinfo post, why are you spouting your opinion when you know nothing of the game? You have no right to an opinion until you've played the game and know a lot about it.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Paying taxes for a virtual house sounds like fun.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Not interested in a game that forces me to waste countless hours just to build a house that I have to keep paying taxes for in order to keep.  This looks like a game for people who have copious amounts of free time to waste.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170

Excellent news I hear!! After so many years of mediocrity, finally a game that provides with a real, meaningful metagaming where social interaction and alliances are gonna be crucial, with real consequences for your actions, in other words, an arena whre true stories of heroism and villainy develop, with characters that fall from grace and rise again... - the possiblities look endless!

By the way, I don't think huge amounts of spare time is a need for this game, as some petty commentators are willing to point out. It is what you want to do with the time you have available for gaming. Personally, I prefer a highly immersive experience, even if I don't even get to purchase a mansion and I'm just a lord's vasall, than wasting my time in a hand-holding, welfare epic, linear dumbpark.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• ElrodeusElrodeus Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Not interested in a game that forces me to waste countless hours just to build a house that I have to keep paying taxes for in order to keep.  This looks like a game for people who have copious amounts of free time to waste.

Seriously....think about what you just wrote. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Suppose for a minute you buy a house...a HUGE house. Take up all kinds of land...then quit the game a week later.

Do you think it would be brilliant game developing for them to just leave your cancelled account house sitting there for years to come blocking land where others could have built? There's a reason they have the tax thing. It's to make sure current players have places to build and people that stop playing aren't taking up land.

I am already paying taxes on one in RL - does that mean I get taxed more on this one since it would be considered a 2nd home?

Originally posted by Elrodeus

Seriously....think about what you just wrote. I'm not trying to be a jerk. Suppose for a minute you buy a house...a HUGE house. Take up all kinds of land...then quit the game a week later.

Do you think it would be brilliant game developing for them to just leave your cancelled account house sitting there for years to come blocking land where others could have built? There's a reason they have the tax thing. It's to make sure current players have places to build and people that stop playing aren't taking up land.

If it worked the same as it does in RL - have abandoned houses!!! Let ArchAge look like Detroit. I can see it now, Deveils Night in ArchAge on Halloween!!!