Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"DAoC was THE BEST"

2»

Comments

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

The Game was the best and is the best game when it comes to RVR and PVP out there.

- I still play it. But I am waiting for Elder Scroll Online now. 

The game is weak on/ here:

1. BuffBots.

2. CC

3. Adventure / Storys

4. TOA

5 Graphics

5. Class balance

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    To me the ideal game is DAoC pre ToA and all expansions after.  If Mythic would make a Camelot server with just the base game (heck I'll even take NF if I had to) and no expansion classes; that would be the best.  For now though, there is just Uthgard; but I wouold prefer an official server.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I don't disagree with the statement,just wondering,if it is so great,why aren't you playing it?It is still there.

It was the best, original 'neck check' frontiers best.

It still is better than anything out there in regards to pvp/rvr.

That said 2 reasons I don't play it atm:

1. EA must release Mythic from it's deathly grasp before I'll give it funding again, Free Mythic! I won't give EA money for a CS company that handles the majority of it's calls for POGO, online gambling.

2. It's been over a decade and DAoC still cannot switch servers without having to log entirely out of the game? i understand if it's a different realm, a timer could be placed upon that, but when they merged all toons onto Ywain1-bizillion, there was no rhyme nor reason to the placement of toons, so in an rvr game, it's really a pain to have your group wait for you to get that 1 toon you need for your set up..oh wait, gotta relog out of this archaic game to do that, pls wait 5 min, tell the bad guys to not attack us plz.  Bah, can't pay money for that, no.

F2P, yeah I can handle it, but I would write in a ticket every day to help fund a change if needed, lol. I would be terrified of EA running a F2P DAoC though, Mythic would never receive the funding.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    funny everyone blames ToA for ruining the game, especially with the gear treadmill, yet look how many of you overlap with the TESO homers. it's literally just DAoC faction setup with most other design in common with GW2 and ToA gear grind built into the game from the start.

I don't think people would have minded the ToA content if it was built in from the beginning. It was the drastic change in gameplay after a couple years that ticked everyone off.

ToA these days as some said isn't bad. I'm still not a fan of the artis, but I adapted. Not too fond of the NF either. really liked playing on the classic server, but they got rid of that.

I finally stopped playing mostly because of the movement. I just can't stand it anymore, lol. I usually ended up playing a caster because couldn't stand melee, especially trying to strafe, ugh, so awful. That is what makes it hardest going back to it. 

Not ToA, nor NF, but the damn movement stops me from coming back. Even EQ is a lot smoother than daoc.

Oh, and the weirdest thing i find is, they charge freaking TAX now on the game. Been a few years at least I think, so it is actually more expensive to play now than when it started.

Daoc was my 4th MMO, still my all time favorite, well tied with EQ, hehe.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

innovative features still not seen in other mmos

/stick

/face

Why are these not common in all mmos!!!!!

Though it was always a nice reminder on when not to /stick sometimes, lol

Damn dirty Hibs!

• lolhahahalolhahaha Member Posts: 48

Still playing it daily on Uthgard.

I'd still be on live if not for all the changes and nerfs, instanced everything, classic servers removed, toa for all, etc. 

• VendacVendac Member Posts: 39

I started DAOC on day 2 on Alb Tristan.  Played for about 9 years or so.  Ran multiple accounts.  Made many million RPs.  It is the best MMO Ive ever played.

People complain about TOA, and yes it was the hardest Xpac for DAOC, especially when it first came out.  Over time it took a few nerfs, which made it a little easier.  Now its a joke.  The last time we ran ML1-9 on Mid a few years back (before glass) you could easily do it with a couple of groups.  Some of the abilities were OP.  That is the nature of the game.

Someone made a great point about how broken OF was.  The keeps were shite.  Emain was really the only place to RvR because the land masses in Mid and Alb were bad.  Some of the abilities (SOS, Group purge, BOF) were very OP.  Even still it was fun.  NF at least had some flow to it and combat was viable everywhere.  However the original keeps and bridges had alot of problems so they decided to redo all of them and screwed it up even more.  The new bridges are horrible with no cover.  The new siege system they put in limited how much siege you could setup on a tower or castle.

Lets not get into the archery system and how they changed that.  Worst patch ever and was the beginning of the end for alot of people.  From there it was a slow slide into the crapper as they changed alot of the core fundamentals in combat and the uniqueness of the classes. 

The entire game has been made easy mode on the PvE side, which in all reality is fine at this point in its lifecycle because the real game starts at 50.  Some of the changes made to the PvP mechanics were the real killer.  At one point you could play DAOC anyway you wanted in PvP.  Solo, duo, small group, 8 man, zerg, all were valid playstyles.  Now all that is left is the zerg. 

I could go on and on about this, but its a dead horse.  The game as it sits right now is largely nothing more than a bunch of high RR bads zergin around farming each other.  They strayed too far from the original concepts that the game had 10 years ago.

You cant fix stupid - Ron White

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Deleted User
    I don't disagree with the statement,just wondering,if it is so great,why aren't you playing it?It is still there.

I went back for a bit, but the graphics nowadays look bloody awful...it's just too old.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The DAOC I knew and enjoyed no longer exists (pre TOA, pre new frontiers) as well as the FFA PVP server Mordred is RIP.

This.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

The friends - The world and Lore melded - PVE - Keep Defense / Taking - Reactionary combat!

Long live, Order of the Red Lions of Nimue!

• CefkaCefka Member Posts: 92

Didn't realize it was the best back then;

Features that I hated like being forced to group and massive penalty upon death (Both for RvR and PvE) made me jump ship when the next MMOs (lineage2, ffxi, etc) came out but come back to DAoC a month later until I landed in WoW and I got a taste of what happens when you lose those 2 features. At first I liked it, everything was simpler and you could literaly play with your brain switched off, everyone could solo and it was actualy encouraged to do so for the most part. I eventualy realized that it was those 2 things that truly made the game immersive and worth being called an MMORPG and I have not been able to get immersed and hooked to an MMO since.

Tried going back to DAoC but the game is a bit dated now. I would pay quite a bit for DAoC : HD though.

• Obelisk918Obelisk918 Member Posts: 3

DAoC is still pretty great now.  I've tried various other MMOs and just haven't been drawn to anything outside of DAoC. 

The level grind is absolutely gone.  You can quest to 50 in the battlegrounds in about 2 days.. If you get PL'd, you can get 50 easily within 6 hours playtime with the right setups. 

Master levels and artifacts are easily attainable through BPs (you can use other characters' BPs to purchase MLs/Artis for a new character).

MLxp is gone.  Artifact's level a lot faster now and level of all xp (instead of killing female mobs in Stygia or other horrible requirements of the old Arti leveling system :D).

The game is pretty balanced (there are some classes that are a little weak or a little strong, but that's to be expected with any non-mirrored game).  RVR is still very very fun!

Solo play can be frustrating, but doable.  Group play is still a blast. 

If you play euro time (around 1-4 central time), there are tons of groups running around agramon or the mainlands. 

Dark Age isn't doesn't have a lot of resources, but the people that are working on the game are awesome.  They seem to still be very passionate about that game, only hindered by lack of resources.

Give it another try!