Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

Comments

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

TotalBiscuit has a video out now. Its pretty damn long and its detailed.

However, nothing about it "jumps" at all. It seems very generic in all categories. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

I can't say as this game has been on my radar, but I watched that vid earlier out of curiousity. Assuming TB's graphic settings are representative, I was rather shocked by how this game looked at 1080P full-screen. Environments were okay at best, character models were indistinct, and things like bushes looked like they were borrowed from an underclocked N64.

Gameplay looked okay, but nothing new nor special -- mind, I think it's pretty much impossible to get a real feel for 'fun factor' from a vid, so that might be deceptive. In the end I was left with the feeling that it was a distant cousin to Tera, just with vastly inferior graphics and, at least as far as I could tell, no real 'open world'.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Watched an hour long video today from Total Biscuit.

It's looking alot better than I expected it to - and improvements being made every day.

If you were expecting a D&D ruleset and/or a Neverwinter SP experience, you were kidding yourself from the start.

It was always gonna be a bog standard MMO "set in the Neverwinter Universe" - Cryptic.

It's also going to be a 100% free game, it's not even buy-to-play. You can't expect teams of industry veterans and the product quality of a $100 million dollar game here, so again, walk in expecting that and you're gonna be in for a fall.

Will it be MMO of the century? Doubt it. Will it be everything you loved about NWN but in an MMO? Definitely no. Will it be a pretty decent game to play with some friends for a while until something a bit more sustainable comes along? Most likely in my opinion.

Pretty deceptive title to this thread really, it should be "I think this game could be terrible" because you clearly haven't played it, like the rest of us.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Not sure about you guys but...I remember long ago they said they werent making this an MMO.  They used something along the lines of multiplaye or co op.  But I distinctly remember them saying they arent building this as an "MMO"

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

TotalBiscuit has a video out now. Its pretty damn long and its detailed.

However, nothing about it "jumps" at all. It seems very generic in all categories. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

I can't say as this game has been on my radar, but I watched that vid earlier out of curiousity. Assuming TB's graphic settings are representative, I was rather shocked by how this game looked at 1080P full-screen. Environments were okay at best, character models were indistinct, and things like bushes looked like they were borrowed from an underclocked N64.

Gameplay looked okay, but nothing new nor special -- mind, I think it's pretty much impossible to get a real feel for 'fun factor' from a vid, so that might be deceptive. In the end I was left with the feeling that it was a distant cousin to Tera, just with vastly inferior graphics and, at least as far as I could tell, no real 'open world'.

You do realize it's the pre-pre-pre-pre closed beta before they reset the servers again tonight to release a new pre=pre=pre beta? As an ex-game tester, you never see graphics in their final setting until the final runthroughs. It's these settings where you find the glaring graphical errors. High end graphics tend to cover mistakes, so it's usually left for the later builds before they are out and in properly. This is also why you see many games with Shader issues on release, it's not because of lack of testing, it's because those final graphics come usually at the very end stages and the game has to ship.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Dont see how you can judge a game without getting you hands on it.  Reading about something or seeing it in action is completely different than playing it.

I'll give them 30 days as Im a D&D fan, but will already tell you I'm biased as Im not a fan of action combat and prefer more RPG in my MMO.  Something I have high expectations for (the latter) since it is a D&D game, even if its name only.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

The games fun to play, which is what matters.  It's got a solid foundation to build on.  Within 6 months from launch I imagine they'll have added atleast 2 more classes if not more.  A year from now they'll probably have 10+ classes.  If you can't handle playing with only 5 classes, go play another game for a few months and then come back and check it out.  It's a f2p, it's not like there is a commitment. 

As for the D&D dice roll and multi class stuff.  Go play DDO or the tabletop or something.  Surely if that's the type of game you actually want you'd already be satisfied with it instead of raging on this forum about a game that's been marketed as action combat for 2 years now.   Cryptic was never going to make that game, and you were a straight up idiot if you thought otherwise. 

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

To be fair I really meant this game is terrible for D&D fans but since that is their target audience, given the D&D/Neverwinter name, that still does make it awful. If you're a Tera/WoW/GW2 fan this game might be worth checking out.

That said, I respectfully request that cryptic change the name of this game to "Plungeons and Plagons" or "Severwinter" or some combination of the two, in an attempt to accurately portray the game and not mislead true D&D fans.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Castillle
    Not sure about you guys but...I remember long ago they said they werent making this an MMO.  They used something along the lines of multiplaye or co op.  But I distinctly remember them saying they arent building this as an "MMO"

You're half right. Originally Neverwinter WAS built to be a multiplayer co-op RPG. However, post PW aquisition, the plans changed and they stated they were going into it as an MMO. It was PW that pushed them to do so, Cryptic essentially said in the nicest way they could that PW didn't like what they were doing with NW originally, made them trash it and start over, leading to what we have now.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it.[mod edit]

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

At least they give you a creation tool, so you have unlimited crap :P

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Originally posted by Castillle

You're half right. Originally Neverwinter WAS built to be a multiplayer co-op RPG. However, post PW aquisition, the plans changed and they stated they were going into it as an MMO. It was PW that pushed them to do so, Cryptic essentially said in the nicest way they could that PW didn't like what they were doing with NW originally, made them trash it and start over, leading to what we have now.

God !@#$ing damnit.

Everyone knows how good Cryptic is at mmos without beginners luck!

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Rider071
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

The more I'm hearing about this the less I'm liking it. Five classes at launch and worse, my favorite and pretty much the foundation of a good party, the battle cleric, supposedly isn't an option? Game mostly taking place inside a Town a la Dragon Age 2? Selling an exclusive race, relying on player's to make content - by the way, anyone who thinks this is the savior of mmo content is delusional; this is going to be like going into a movie theatre expecting "Interview With A Vampire" and getting "Twilight" - etc., etc.

Game might be fun at first, most are, but it's beginning to sound devoid of lasting interest. I'm going to wait to try it before deciding for sure but, eh...

There was a stream last night of the game for an hour+, it's on the site I am sure under videos, uploaded to the mmorpg youtube site.

It's filled with info from members of MMORPG, ZAM, and a dev Zeke(sp?). It was also a blast to watch.

Nothing like actually getting info from the source with eyes and ears consuming it all.

That...has nothing to do with anything I just said. I specifically stated that games are fun at first, it's lasting power I'm concerned about. Those videos show nothing that address the concerns I stated in the beginning, if anything they validate them, and the information that it has very limited approach to existing class let alone a small selection to start can't be debated from gameplay videos. What was the point you were trying to make, exactly?

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Dont see how you can judge a game without getting you hands on it.  Reading about something or seeing it in action is completely different than playing it.

I'll give them 30 days as Im a D&D fan, but will already tell you I'm biased as Im not a fan of action combat and prefer more RPG in my MMO.  Something I have high expectations for (the latter) since it is a D&D game, even if its name only.

You pretty much mirror my own views but I gotta correct you on one mistake you made: Neverwinter Nights 1&2  were tactical RPGs because you could pause the game, issue orders, unpause,etc. The PnP D&D is a tactical RPG as well because of real world limitations. NWO is a action RPG where you do not get the option to pause and I believe your companions can only be set on stances or given orders in the heat of battle but it is still an RPG and if the classes/multiclass/prestiege classes come in over time then it will give the same breath of role playing options as NWN 1&2 and eventually D&D proper.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

To be fair I really meant this game is terrible for D&D fans but since that is their target audience, given the D&D/Neverwinter name, that still does make it awful. If you're a Tera/WoW/GW2 fan this game might be worth checking out.

That said, I respectfully request that cryptic change the name of this game to "Plungeons and Plagons" or "Severwinter" or some combination of the two, in an attempt to accurately portray the game and not mislead true D&D fans.

Someone would have to be a retarded monkey to get misled.  This game has trumpeted the action MMO card from day 1... Plus it's CRYPTIC. Cryptic isn't going to make some complicated super deep dice-roll game, that's like the opposite of what they are good at.  Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew it was going to be a loose representation of a D&d rule set  with  A Forgotten Realms backdrop.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    I've downloaded and installed, and now I'm grabbing the lastest update, so at least one of us will be informed come tomorrow :)
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Draemos

The games fun to play, which is what matters.  It's got a solid foundation to build on.  Within 6 months from launch I imagine they'll have added atleast 2 more classes if not more.  A year from now they'll probably have 10+ classes.  If you can't handle playing with only 5 classes, go play another game for a few months and then come back and check it out.  It's a f2p, it's not like there is a commitment. 

As for the D&D dice roll and multi class stuff.  Go play DDO or the tabletop or something.  Surely if that's the type of game you actually want you'd already be satisfied with it instead of raging on this forum about a game that's been marketed as action combat for 2 years now.   Cryptic was never going to make that game, and you were a straight up idiot if you thought otherwise. 

Yep "action combat", so I will not be even downloding it.

However, the "Forge" tool looks very nice and I hope other producers take note and introduce the concept to their games.

Also you can expect other classes and races to be added down the track, perhaps at a cost as "premium" options perhaps for free, probably a mixture of those options.

Someone would have to be a retarded monkey to get misled.  This game has trumpeted the action MMO card from day 1... Plus it's CRYPTIC. Cryptic isn't going to make some complicated super deep dice-roll game, that's like the opposite of what they are good at.  Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew it was going to be a loose representation of a D&d rule set  with  A Forgotten Realms backdrop.

Yep and the D&D fans have a right to run the game into the ground for using a well known name for cash grabbing purposes.

Do we all really have to do this dance every time a new game releases? People give negative opinions on a game, fanboys use the "it's not released to most people and you can't know from videos." Then beta is released and the fanboys say "it's just beta." Then launch "let them iron out the issues." 1 month "it's only been a month." Then "It's only been 6 months." Then "Hey 2k people are gold members the game must be good and therefore you're wrong."

Honestly guys just take the critism, it's only going to get worse from here.

D+D since 3.0 was written like a board game and literally as an MMO/video game in 4.0

I easily saw it going that way, as did my players (as DM it made using minitures and hexagon maps a necessity and the game became so much faster and more action packed).

I now play TERA, and really enjoy the 'true-action' feel of the controls, and after watching the video from the stream last night, I see myself playing this version of D+D easily, and them also staying true to the game rules, as they were clearly written in their current form (4.0) to be easily adapted into a good video game.

So, there is no misleading at all...now if you're trying to play AD+D 1.0-2.0, yes you are going to be severely disappointed, but then that game can never be put into a video game, ever, it's way too vague and much too much power resided in the DM's interpretation.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Rider071

D+D since 3.0 was written like a board game and literally as an MMO/video game in 4.0

I easily saw it going that way, as did my players (as DM it made using minitures and hexagon maps a necessity and the game became so much faster and more action packed).

I now play TERA, and really enjoy the 'true-action' feel of the controls, and after watching the video from the stream last night, I see myself playing this version of D+D easily, and them also staying true to the game rules, as they were clearly written in their current form (4.0) to be easily adapted into a good video game.

So, there is no misleading at all...now if you're trying to play AD+D 1.0-2.0, yes you are going to be severely disappointed, but then that game can never be put into a video game, ever, it's way too vague and much too much power resided in the DM's interpretation.

You know that high pitched whine you hear in the background?

That is the second harmonic of the sound of Gary Gygax spinning in his grave at over 40 kHtz.

Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

You pretty much mirror my own views but I gotta correct you on one mistake you made: Neverwinter Nights 1&2  were tactical RPGs because you could pause the game, issue orders, unpause,etc. The PnP D&D is a tactical RPG as well because of real world limitations. NWO is a action RPG where you do not get the option to pause and I believe your companions can only be set on stances or given orders in the heat of battle but it is still an RPG and if the classes/multiclass/prestiege classes come in over time then it will give the same breath of role playing options as NWN 1&2 and eventually D&D proper.

I'm guessing because I haven't spent alot of time on the player's handbook for 4.0, but aren't the 5 classes being released 'prestige' class definitions?

If so, this would alleviate the reqs (and the inevitable 'damn gotta reroll') for getting to a prestige class, but also this would break a bit from  the classic rules (unless they changed it in 4.0 from 3.5).

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by knapu

One thing that is saying this game is a fail becouse its made by CRYPTIC

Another problem is that they are trying to scum people by changing pre order  to become a founder.

which is complete BS since the money from those ,, founders,, want most surley not go into development of the game only to theyre pockets .

So have fun by getting ripped off the last penny , i just gonna sit back and enjoy .

and i assume you have some proof on this? or just another one angry that not everything is given to them in a f2p game.. honestly how can people be getting mad about completely optional packs you can buy when the game is 100% free to download and play

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by craftseeker

You know that high pitched whine you hear in the background?

That is the second harmonic of the sound of Gary Gygax spinning in his grave at over 40 kHtz.

Truer words never spoken.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Yep and the D&D fans have a right to run the game into the ground for using a well known name for cash grabbing purposes.

Do we all really have to do this dance every time a new game releases? People give negative opinions on a game, fanboys use the "it's not released to most people and you can't know from videos." Then beta is released and the fanboys say "it's just beta." Then launch "let them iron out the issues." 1 month "it's only been a month." Then "It's only been 6 months." Then "Hey 2k people are gold members the game must be good and therefore you're wrong."

Could you refrain from trying to speak for all D&D fans? As a D&D fan I disagree with you. D&D 4.0 is clearly represented in Neverwinter Online any D&D fan can tell you that. Love it or hate it you can clearly see the 4.0 influence, that is if you've ever played 4.0. 

Criticize away, but just make sure you understand you are speaking for yourself and not D&D fans. 

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I am guessing someone pointed this out to the OP all ready, but you know d&d the table top game started with just a few classes right? Thief, Wizard, Fighter, Cleric where do you think that all started?

It was said in one of the articles that the devs are bringing more classes.

This isn't even open beta yet.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Guess thats why they call it OPINION.  Its not fact.  You dont have to listen to it (on either side).

Honestly, just state your opinion and stop trying to force others to believe what you do.  

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D is a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO. Of course Bill Murphy will say its great, he has to until it releases so he can get ad revenues. Its why no one takes MMORPG.COMs previews seriously. Remember when they told us TSW and FFXIV were great?

Always funny when uninformed people post. Not like it hasn't been stated all over that neverwinter is free to play and free to download. So how is it people expect a ton of classes on release for a game they pay nothing at all to play? As far as F2P games go it seems a hell of alot less restrictive then most. Classes will be added they say, but the "I want everything for free and i want it now!" mentallity/entitlement crowd sure is sad.

No itas not NWN3 but then at least its not a cheap Obsidian knock off like the piece of crap that NWN2 was.

Will it be a fun game thats FREE? Looks like but opinions will always vary, at least I'll actually try it for myself before condeming it off hand.