Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

Comments

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Akumawraith

4th edition rule set (yes it does follow D&D 4th Ed.)

made by cryptic (STO, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Champions online)

in conjunction with PWI (Raiderz, Torchlight II, STO, jade Dynasty, War of the Immortals and so on....)

Just one small correction, If I'm wrong, my bad, but I believe the game is owned by Perfect World, run in the west by PWE (Perfect World Entertainment).

PWI (Perfect World International) is the western version of their 'mother' game Perfect World in the east.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

Yeah right.... "will be added later" , thats the favorite sentence of a mmo developer.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by anthony21690
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it.[mod edit]

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

It's amazing how you're already judging each and every single one of the game's features already but how many of them have you actually played?

this wouldn't be MMORPG.COM without a sea of rash judgements and misinformation based on lack of experience or just straight up prejudice bashing... anyways the live stream the team played looked fun the combat looked engaging enough and the UI looked great. If the foundry system ends up being a good time ill surely give this game some serious time.. ill see next beta weekend

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by rmk70
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

I wouldn't say "undoubtedly" - that's an unfounded assumption. Many games promised more classes and weren't able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe. What makes it undoubtable this game will be able to do it differently? 

yes undoubtably! theyve said it  several times THEREWILL BE More classes

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Mari2k

Yeah right.... "will be added later" , thats the favorite sentence of a mmo developer.

In this case it won't cost you a penny to play while you wait and see... so... 

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Waiting for more classes doesn't bother me.  FFXI did it, and it went well.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Honestly haven't looked into 4th edition rules, but D+D, AD+D up to 3.5 does make me wonder if they will implement monks and druids and if so how?

DMs have their perogative (I always warned my players if they made one I WOULD kill them by level 6, lol), but if they are true to the rules, it will make for some really interesting gameplay, especially if they limit them to the server itself.

So far the classes released and most in D+D have no crazy restrictions so no worries, but druids and monks are very special cases (that have been comepletely abused by our genre).

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by miagisan
    Originally posted by Warley
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

@Jimmy:

I wasn't around when FFXIV launched, but one of the first things I did when I took over was get FFXIV reviewed.  

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/reviews/load/147/The-Original-Release-Reviewed.html

We're not perfect, but I think over the past nearly two years since I began as ME, our reviews and reviewers have been getting better and better.  YMMV. But we ARE making a concerted effort always to be honest, fair, and balanced in our reviews, previews, editorials, everything.

Bill, gamers are much,more savvy nowadays.  Everyone with MMO experience over the years knew that Star Wars TOR would be the same ol' watered down WoW clone.  And, yet, it gets great reviews by MMORPG and all the other online magazines that depend heavily on ad revenue.  We know how the world works: it's a business oriented world.  Please don't pretend it isn't.

BS. MMo players are no more savvy than any one else. If anything, the only thing you guys excel at are whining over features you dont like.

i couldnt have said it better myself. The modern gamers are what i call the gimme generation.. every game i have played over the last ten years have been to a point... ruined .. They whine to devs in the forums to change this, gimme that, why cant we this, and thats op that... its annoying..  No matter Vanilla WoWs faults it was a game that set a trend. it had one of the most amaizing Battlegrounds in MMO existance. Alterac Valley.. it was an all out war that yes could take hours to finish.. who said wars were short and sweet? but the whining won out and look at it now.. a shadow of its former glory.. a race to see who can kill the opposing general with minor pvp battles is the norm.. its frustrating.

I never played Eve.. i may even regret i didnt get in when it first kicked off.. but thats history now. I have heard many mixed things about Eve as well. Same things that happened in wow.. gimme this, gimme that.. what ever happened to earning what you worked for? this crap of just handing loot to players and giving them the ability to do hundreds of thousands worth of damage in one shot.. its pathetic.

if a game offers no challenge and is is the same old crap every day it loses my vote. After 9 years of WOW i finally quit. it felt good to leave that tragedy of a game behind. and yes i know some of you out there thinks its still the best thing since sliced butter... but i know more than 50% of the current player base didnt start until after Wrath was released so they have no clue what they missed so cannot feel the regret.

As i said in a post previous, noones really played this gme yet soto make judgements is just your opinion and thats fine.. they are like that shadowy spot between your butt cheeks.. we all have them.. just try to keep them to yourself as you never know what crap may spew out.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by koljane
    Originally posted by Nadia

Fighter. Wizard. Rogue. Ranger. Cleric

- seems reasonable for launch

when D&D launched in 1974 as "Men and Magic" it had 3 classes -- fighting man, magic user, cleric

Greyhawk in 1975 added 2 clasees, Paladin and Thief

the D&D of today has dozens of classes

as others have posted, more classes will get added to NWN over time

Totaly agree on Nadia post. 

I would rather have new class and races later then having it all at onece,  as also stated D&D have lot of classes today.

All MMORPG`s will ne looked trough WOW, G2, TERA.... cause people with Tunel Vision will always judge before trying but that is how it is. And lets face it there will be no game with more content than WOW EVER cause it is 8 year old game.

everquest has  13 years of content,  some years it had 2 expansions not counting a handful of extra free zones soo your wrong there!.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? 

disagree strongly. Even STO has a solid base to grow into something really great even if it takes another couple of years, they'll get there and stick to their titles. 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

If you are looking for a lobby MMO which is heavily instanced and combat is faster paced like Guild Wars 2 and you can log on and complete a dungeon in an hour or less then you will probably like this game.  I am not sure why you will stop plaing Guild Wars 2, or LOTRO, or TERA, or EQ2, or WOW, or one of the other 300 MMOs that are basically the same as this game.

If you are looking for an actual world, some type of meaningful PVP, crafter based economy with the aility to shape and modifiy the world all taking place in the Forgotten Realms....well, dont bother with this game.  There is no game like that.

When this game was announced, and looking at both companies involved (Cryptic and PWE) most people assumed it was going to be a WOW clone or a GW2 clone.  Those people are right.

So if you like rinky dink little games, here, have yet another one.  I don't think TESO will be all that different, though EQ Next might be.  So there may be one MMO out of the 300 WOWO clones that might be worth waiting for.

Played WoW for 6 years, grew bored of the tab target, rich get richer gameplay with all the emphasis on Raiding and the dumbing down of the game I loved at the start.  Every expansion restricted character progression rather then emphasised it.  The other issue is every patch (when they do occur 1 to 2 a year for a P2P game LOL) adds addional loot tiers that should increase your power but the yconstantly nerf classes.

Tera, EQ2 and LOTRO followed by Rift and SWTOR all sucked as they were identical clones to WoW so those games got left out.

GW2 is still a good game, but theres no content for me after 5 months of play.  3 level 80's all maxed equipped and I miss certan features like Loot centric dungeon romps.

What NWO does, is a dungeon adventur, flashy combat, dynamic loot ARPG port into a WASD movement and skill bar combat something that hasnt been done that much.  It also features the one lacking feature that has made every MMO since WoW horrible, lack of content.  NWO fixs this with never ending small group content with the Foundry.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

TotalBiscuit has a video out now. Its pretty damn long and its detailed.

However, nothing about it "jumps" at all. It seems very generic in all categories. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? 

disagree strongly. Even STO has a solid base to grow into something really great even if it takes another couple of years, they'll get there and stick to their titles. 

Agreed, Even though Cryptic has been slow to develope content for the KDF and hasnt really expanded with new story lines in a while they are in process of deeloping new content.. all i can say is May 2013.... romulan faction possibly? would be nice... new stories come with a new faction maybe? They arent sitting on thier duffs and just reaping cash throught the Cstore.. they are constantly developing new content. Maybe not in the direction alot of players want.. but something players would still enjoy.. try not to have a closed mind.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• Konner920Konner920 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    It's made by Cryptic. That's pretty much self explanitory. of how its gonna bem
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Hey look guys, I could care less if another actionRPG MMO tries to grace us with it's presence but don't slap it with a D&D label then insult the fans even more by giving it the Neverwinter name while making the game nothing at all like D&D(any edition).

For the record, DDO made a plethora of empty promises about adding many classes after launch as well. I think the sadest part is that Neverwinter Online is shaping up to be even less true to D&D then DDO, which is a feat in itself. How many fail MMO's that sandbag their own audience does it take before these devs learn.

The whole reason the PC Neverwinter series was so popular was because of how close it was to D&D. MMO's obviously have more limitations but that's not a free ticket to take a dump on the fans.

RIP Neverwinter series. Oh well maybe Pathfinder has the smarts to pull it off.

How'd that Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance ARPG work for you? 

That game was a top down, isoemtric view, Diablo Clone but was really entertaining. 

Contrary to your narrow minded opinions, a game can be set in an IP and feature many elements not associated with the original IP and still be a great game.  WoW, BaldursGate DA, and Elder Scrolls Arena all come to mind.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

However, nothing about it "jumps" at all. It seems very generic in all categories. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY&t=23m5s  they mention the foundry system and the developer says the foundry system in their past games is "nothing" compared to what will be in neverwinter.. that gets me very interested to see what they have ready for that system

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY&t=23m5s  they mention the foundry system and the developer says the foundry system in their past games is "nothing" compared to what will be in neverwinter.. that gets me very interested to see what they have ready for that system

I found 2 Vids about the Foundry, take a look.

Part 1:  http://youtu.be/P_7WgszhNN4

Part 2: http://youtu.be/gzSBodMnPtU

I find that very mighty and cool tbh. I know the Old one from COX, so for me Version 1.0, tis in Neverwinter is now 10.0.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Only thing I really hate about NW so far is the use of companions as combat allies.

I hate pet classes. HATE.

Biggest turn off on SWTOR for me was the damn companions. The game was 100000x more fun 1-10 than 10-cap because I hated having a damn stupid pet following me around.

I hated more that the stupid pet was a NECCESSARY tank or healer or DPS if I was the tank/healer.

I hate pets... I hate companions.

Might skip on NW just for that I hate them so much.

From watching gameplay videos, your companions appeared pretty minor compared to SWTOR's use of them.

Fighter. Wizard. Rogue. Ranger. Cleric

as others have posted, more classes will get added to NWN over time

Totaly agree on Nadia post. 

I would rather have new class and races later then having it all at onece,  as also stated D&D have lot of classes today.

It is actually - 1 Ranger and Plus 1 Warrior. Ranger is hinted at being a future class, as well as others.

If anyone actualy paid attention to the mmorpg video stream/youtube, they should be worried about an unstable game crashing every 30 mins or so. That's about what I got out of it. Other than that, it appeared pretty fun to play.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Konner920
    It's made by Cryptic. That's pretty much self explanitory. of how its gonna bem

Are we getting CoH cryptic or STO cryptic? Because those cryptic examples ended up with vastly different products.

It isn't so self-explanatory imo.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

The more I'm hearing about this the less I'm liking it. Five classes at launch and worse, my favorite and pretty much the foundation of a good party, the battle cleric, supposedly isn't an option? Game mostly taking place inside a Town a la Dragon Age 2? Selling an exclusive race, relying on player's to make content - by the way, anyone who thinks this is the savior of mmo content is delusional; this is going to be like going into a movie theatre expecting "Interview With A Vampire" and getting "Twilight" - etc., etc.

Game might be fun at first, most are, but it's beginning to sound devoid of lasting interest. I'm going to wait to try it before deciding for sure but, eh...

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it. To pretend like this game has anything to do with the Neverwinter series is as obvious a lie as Romney's tax plan.

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

From what we've seen it's a fairly robust system. What makes you feel it will be "The most limited building experience you'll ever encounter" since it directly contradicts everything we know about the game thus far? 

Those that have actually played D&D (More specifically the 4.0 ruleset) already do see a good bit of D&D in Neverwinter and thats without even mentioning the lore. 

Yes, 5 classes are a bit limited. I'd like more, but I'm not sure how this keeps it from being D&D. 

As far as this not having anything to do with Neverwinter, I am a bit confused. If you are reffering to place then yes it clearly does have something to do with Neverwinter lol. If you are reffering to Neverwinter Nights then no, they already said they weren't making a new Neverwinter Nights game. 

All in all I guess I'm confused on your stance, maybe if you could elaborate it would resolve my confusion. 

The foundery looks like it could be pretty fun.

Originally posted by Eluldor
    Originally posted by BadSpock

It is actually - 1 Ranger and Plus 1 Warrior. Ranger is hinted at being a future class, as well as others.

If anyone actualy paid attention to the mmorpg video stream/youtube, they should be worried about an unstable game crashing every 30 mins or so. That's about what I got out of it. Other than that, it appeared pretty fun to play.

If they treat the ranger like the classes so far, you're going to have to keep an open mind or read about 'prestige' classes so as to be prepared for what is to come. Not all rangers are created equally, but they are all pretty fun. 'Arcane Archer' is rare (elf only) and is supposed to be, for example. We will see, as they didn't mention anything about multi-classing either, but if they are going to treat prestige classes as all-in-one classes, that's fair (least you can't screw up a requirement).

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I have to be honest I am a little disappointed with only 5 classes.  From watching the video it seems like there won’t be much to separate, say two clerics, apart.  I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid that the classes are going to be too similar so you won’t want to take two clerics or two control wizards.  Like I said I hope I’m wrong.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

The more I'm hearing about this the less I'm liking it. Five classes at launch and worse, my favorite and pretty much the foundation of a good party, the battle cleric, supposedly isn't an option? Game mostly taking place inside a Town a la Dragon Age 2? Selling an exclusive race, relying on player's to make content - by the way, anyone who thinks this is the savior of mmo content is delusional; this is going to be like going into a movie theatre expecting "Interview With A Vampire" and getting "Twilight" - etc., etc.

Game might be fun at first, most are, but it's beginning to sound devoid of lasting interest. I'm going to wait to try it before deciding for sure but, eh...

There was a stream last night of the game for an hour+, it's on the site I am sure under videos, uploaded to the mmorpg youtube site.

It's filled with info from members of MMORPG, ZAM, and a dev Zeke(sp?). It was also a blast to watch.

Nothing like actually getting info from the source with eyes and ears consuming it all.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Woopin
    Originally posted by Warley
    Yes but even now you are shying away from saying anything you disliked about the game even though you just playtested it. I'd be interested in hearing from you the 3 biggest pros AND cons you noticed after playing the game. I'm not asking for a conclusive review just both sides of the coin.

He probably won't answer you or will be very brief and give a canned response since MMORPG.com will be relying on ad revenue when the game gets to that point.  It's just the nature of the business world and the current way our society works.

I doubt it is a case of that. Remember he did a PREVIEW not a REVIEW these two things are looked upon in a different manner. Previews are just that they preview it for others to see and judge for themsevles seen as the build is so early almost everything can change. This is why Preview rarely have any negatives put on them. I am sure once release is here then a full review will be done with the pro's and con's.

PROS: Combat, Character Creation, God that lovely, deep UI.

CONS: Limited classes, not sure I like the "pets/companions" being combat allies, stability (it crashed and voip was not stable).

All of those Suzie and I mentioned in different articles today as well.

Worries for the future? What is there to do at the cap? How deep and well-used will the Foundry be? How long will we wait for new classes, and races? What will monetization be?

That said, it's still a fun game. Plainly, and simply. And it won't stop being fun even if my cons aren't addressed.  It'll be flawed, but still fun.

One thing I wish I didn't have to keep repeating on these forums and in articles? The community staff and the editorial staff, BOTH have nothing to do with advertising at all.  The owners of the site handle all of that.  We make a concerted effort to keep it separate so we can be honest with our takes on games.  Everyone forgets the time Earthrise came out and we had a review blasting its poor craftsmanship, right alongside full-page ads. Our owners defended us and our write to voice our opinions when the marketing team from Earthrise went to them complaining.

Advertising and the people buying ads are the least of my worries.  They're the owners' headache, not mine.  I'm far more concerned with giving you open honest feedback on games.

Thanks man I think this was info alot of people are looking for and you delivered. Much appreciated.