Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA feels they are being robbed by Dead Space 3 players

Comments

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    EA always wrong.  The customers always right.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Kaerigan
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well."

SUPPOSED TO? Excuse me?! 

My view on this: exploit away. We shouldn't tolerate cash shop crap in single player games, at least not ones there's already a fee for.

There's no excuse for exploiting. Even if it's an EA game.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    it's only robbery when the people you are robbing are innocent bystanders, this is just creative players sticking it to the man.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

From a British solicitor (wigged up lawyer):

at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley

So wait, your title states "EA feels", but you're quoting an IP lawyer?

Hope the BBC vetted their report better than you did.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I think its funny EA thought players were robbing THEM! Hah! thats a good one. I dont really see any point to defending EA for anything. If they cant make a quality game, they deserve everything they get (and more-so)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Thanks for the wig correction.

Also, I forgot to mention it's Day 1 on-disc DLC unlocks apparently. (Or rather, obviously.)

Now that's fraud, making you pay for something you have already purchased, you own the disc with all the relevant 1s and 0s

But you don't own the ones and zeros to unlock it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

It's intellectual property, you don't own it.  Sad but true.

However, the comparison with the baker is so stupid.  You aren't taking anything from them, and you are only depriving them of something extra if you would have paid real life money had you not exploited.  For people like me, that's a clear 'no'.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    The concept of ownership of any kind is not REAL.  
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Doesn't matter if it was an exploit or not.  I have yet to see a single-player game which doesn't have a working hack or trainer for an in-game currency.  This goes beyond simple exploitation of bugs.

Once you put the game in the players' hands, they feel they have the right to do as they please with it.  Make it impossible for them to cheat the system or they will find a way to do it.

If it is a single-player offline game, does it really matter if someone cheated?

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

My reaction. 

Its not a good analogy.  Its like going to a buffet and every 5 chickens you eat gets you a free drink and people found out how to eat 5 chickens for their free drink!

You can pay for your drink  if you dont want to eat 5 chickens but come on...Its a buffet! Eat dem chikuns! 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• danfromohdanfromoh Member Posts: 18
    Games that make it have few bugs and any found are quickly fixed.  So if bugs (in general) take away from game play, is EA giving refunds?  So fix the bug and EA stop calling players thieves before the player population leaves the game.
  • LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

If it's robbery then the players are only doing what EA has been doing for years.

You may not own the code but you own whatever is on the disc EA can't send someone to your house to retrieve the disc..

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

There is going to come a time when EA will develop a system that kills the player if they don't give them their life's savings, and then claim it was the players fault for not paying...

Calling it now!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by vgamer
    This is a single player game right? So what's a cash shop doing in a SP game anyway...? Just honestly curious. Do you need it for something?

People really are out of touch with the SP gaming realm around here, just about every game has this today. It's not just those made by EA.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by vgamer
    This is a single player game right? So what's a cash shop doing in a SP game anyway...? Just honestly curious. Do you need it for something?

People really are out of touch with the SP gaming realm around here, just about every game has this today. It's not just those made by EA.

Yeah... they're just called "weapons pack DLC" or "cosmetic DLC," instead of straight up "cash shop," but in the end it's just paying for items.

As for OP, all I can do is lol.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    My question is this, If I have this game but am not online will I be able to do this if I decide EA can suck it?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Icewhite

at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley

So wait, your title states "EA feels", but you're quoting an IP lawyer?

Hope the BBC vetted their report better than you did.

I didn't even catch that.

DAMMIT ><

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

*Breaks down laughing.*

This is just beautiful.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    These are the same people that want to charge you by the clip to play Battlefield. EA should crash and burn, or at least be broken up altogether. Seriously, you people have no business ruining any more video games. Just a completely useless company that needs a brain scan and an enema.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Well I was robbed when I bought SWTOR...

So now we're even..

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Its all you F2P and cash shop gamers that are enabling game companies to go in this direction. I will never support cash shop games, soon they will all be cash shops and you will have to pay for every little thing.
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Glad I never wasted a cent or a minute on any of these brain dead space games.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    You're all drooling ATM machines to these companies and their cash shops.
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21367852

Apparently EA is very unhappy with "thieves" who have found ways to quickly grind in game curency (via EA bugs) as opposed to opting to pay real cash via micro-transaction to upgrade weapons. (Shaving a few hours off their gameplay.)

"If you go into a baker's to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that's theft," Sara Ludlam, an intellectual property expert at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley told the BBC.

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well."

Mind you this is a SRPG

Thoughts you dirty stinkin' pirates?

In this bakery example, I'd be taking only what you gave me. Your incompetance is your own fault! Get a better QA team and test for bugs more thoroughly. Stop blaming players for your mistakes and carelessness.

Edit: Why are people still bothering with EA? Stop playing their garbage so they stop complaining about being robbed. Are their products truly unique to their genres?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Cash shops for single player games are just dumb.  Keep it up people, maybe EA will learn.