Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW drops 400k to 9.6 million

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Ghern

There is no way Blizzard  has 9.6 million players paying $15 a month.

I really wish out of curiosities sake they would release the numbers without including the Chinese players who pay pennies for a couple of hours at a time.

And no, I am not hating, I am a current subscriber for about one more month.

I think those numbers are just for the public- i doubt blizzard shares theyr real numbers, because there were so much hype behind it. It wouldnt be smart to release the real numbers- instead they say what the fans want to hear- the game is still going strong- wich is not possible after 7 years. Many who jumped in back then are now mature or have family. I doubt those people stayed loyal to this game for 7 years because EVERYEAR WE HAVE AROUND 10 Mil. WICH MEANS EVERYONE OF THEM WOULD BE STILL PLAYING- FROM DAY ONE TILL NOW-Now tahts logic.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

Blizzard counts the guy or girl who walks in to an Internet cafe, spends two hours and a total of 6 cents as a subscriber.

Disengenious at best.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    it doesnt matter what we write here, people just dont get it.  But this is how the world is- some are sheeps others are wolfs. And blizz can do with theyr sheeps whatever they want and tell them whatever they want. Example above me.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    I thought GW2 had already killed wow?
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by exile01
    it doesnt matter what we write here, people just dont get it.  But this is how the world is- some are sheeps others are wolfs. And blizz can do with theyr sheeps whatever they want and tell them whatever they want. Example above me.

Can you provide me with a link which supports the claim that WoW does not have 9.6m subs?

lol, how about a link that says they do?

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

WoW is dead.  But it's dottering liche-corpse is still pulling in the big bucks, so they're fine with it.

Of course, their ghostly PR-spouting voices are going to make the numbers sound inflated.  I never take corporate PR at face value.  

And as with many other things, you stay big because you already were big. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by dimnikar
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

We have a winner!

First post about how Chinese players aren't real people above my post, somewhere :)

edit: Nevermind how these "fake" players that only play for 1 hour then quit, continue to do this month after month, year on year.... :D :D :D

You clearly missed the point.  Nowhere did he say they werent players, he was talking about how Blizzard spins sub numbers.

Thats like McDonalds saying that they have 10 million active customers, when you find out that 7 million are people who bought 1 sandwhich 1 time and havent bought anything since.

It would be like GW2 claiming they have 3 million active players because they've sold 3 million boxes of the game.

Anybody who can't read between the lines is fooling themselves.

Unfortunately we'll never be able to prove anything without the data, but i would be willing to bet money that as far as north america and europe goes, and real honest to god ACTIVE subscribers, people who log in and play the game several times a week and maintain a sub (also not including multiple accounts per actual player), that its more like in the 1 to 1.5 million range.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Blizzard counts any player that's paid money to play in the past 30 days. It's written clear as day in their disclaimer *every time* they post sub numbers.

Yet after all these years, so many of you still come up with these insane theories, claiming it's all a big "mystery" just because you fail to understand any of it.

I guess THUNDER and LIGHTNING must be really confusing for you.

edit: I'm out, just wanted to get a taste of the first batch of crazy on here. Have a nice weekend!

Not my fault you're incapable of using your brain.  Explain this bat man, if they have 9.6 million active subscribers, why then did they only sell 4.3 million copies of cataclysm, and barely over 3 million copies of pandaria?

Every other MMO in history thats made an expansion to their game sold said expansion to better than 90% of their active subscribers at the time.  Yet, WOW only manages 30-40% of their supposed active subs?

So, you insult my intelligence, yet you're the one who blindly accepts something thats told to you without question?  Yeah, im the one who is confused...

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I think problem is bad world economic and less income for people rather then WoW fail.
    Number of sub and guys who like MoP are two different things, IMO. You can play WoW w/o MoP too.

For current economical situation + age of this game, it's doing very good. Sill love it even if I don't play it now.

Hope it will never die and next x-pack will bring us more then just one more animal to play with.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    It will never die. We will be dead before the game will be. we must move on I say.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

You know that cha-ching sound people talk about?The sound of the old school cash register.Well it seem's WoW sound's more like that sound you hear on a quiet day while standing next to a roaring river,you know the sound.It's like an endless sound of cash.

Even though my sub ended last month I gotta give prop's to Blizz.8 year's later and the numerous ftp/btp choice's nowaday's and they just keep on rollin!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Originally posted by dimnikar We have a winner! First post about how Chinese players aren't real people above my post, somewhere :)         edit: Nevermind how these "fake" players that only play for 1 hour then quit, continue to do this month after month, year on year.... :D :D :D
    You clearly missed the point.  Nowhere did he say they werent players, he was talking about how Blizzard spins sub numbers. Thats like McDonalds saying that they have 10 million active customers, when you find out that 7 million are people who bought 1 sandwhich 1 time and havent bought anything since. It would be like GW2 claiming they have 3 million active players because they've sold 3 million boxes of the game. Anybody who can't read between the lines is fooling themselves.   Unfortunately we'll never be able to prove anything without the data, but i would be willing to bet money that as far as north america and europe goes, and real honest to god ACTIVE subscribers, people who log in and play the game several times a week and maintain a sub (also not including multiple accounts per actual player), that its more like in the 1 to 1.5 million range.
    You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.   Blizzard counts any player that's paid money to play in the past 30 days. It's written clear as day in their disclaimer *every time* they post sub numbers.   Yet after all these years, so many of you still come up with these insane theories, claiming it's all a big "mystery" just because you fail to understand any of it.   I guess THUNDER and LIGHTNING must be really confusing for you.   edit: I'm out, just wanted to get a taste of the first batch of crazy on here. Have a nice weekend!
    Not my fault you're incapable of using your brain.  Explain this bat man, if they have 9.6 million active subscribers, why then did they only sell 4.3 million copies of cataclysm, and barely over 3 million copies of pandaria? Every other MMO in history thats made an expansion to their game sold said expansion to better than 90% of their active subscribers at the time.  Yet, WOW only manages 30-40% of their supposed active subs? So, you insult my intelligence, yet you're the one who blindly accepts something thats told to you without question?  Yeah, im the one who is confused...

Not sure about MoP figures, but cata sold over 4.7million in the first month and thats without china (which is about half of wows player base) who didn't get the expansion until July the following year

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    It's about time. I mean how long has the game been out now, 8 years? Time for it too slowly die and hopefully all ThemeParks with it.
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Not sure about MoP figures, but cata sold over 4.7million in the first month and thats without china (which is about half of wows player base) who didn't get the expansion until July the following year

So, they always post China subscribers, but never post China expac sales?   

As a WoW player, that makes perfect sense to me for some reason.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I see it mostly as a reflection of how poorly other themeparks have done building market share.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

We have a winner!

First post about how Chinese players aren't real people above my post, somewhere :)

edit: Nevermind how these "fake" players that only play for 1 hour then quit, continue to do this month after month, year on year.... :D :D :D

You clearly missed the point.  Nowhere did he say they werent players, he was talking about how Blizzard spins sub numbers.

Thats like McDonalds saying that they have 10 million active customers, when you find out that 7 million are people who bought 1 sandwhich 1 time and havent bought anything since.

It would be like GW2 claiming they have 3 million active players because they've sold 3 million boxes of the game.

Unfortunately we'll never be able to prove anything without the data, but i would be willing to bet money that as far as north america and europe goes, and real honest to god ACTIVE subscribers, people who log in and play the game several times a week and maintain a sub (also not including multiple accounts per actual player), that its more like in the 1 to 1.5 million range.

Blizzard counts any player that's paid money to play in the past 30 days. It's written clear as day in their disclaimer *every time* they post sub numbers.

Yet after all these years, so many of you still come up with these insane theories, claiming it's all a big "mystery" just because you fail to understand any of it.

edit: I'm out, just wanted to get a taste of the first batch of crazy on here. Have a nice weekend!

Not my fault you're incapable of using your brain.  Explain this bat man, if they have 9.6 million active subscribers, why then did they only sell 4.3 million copies of cataclysm, and barely over 3 million copies of pandaria?

Every other MMO in history thats made an expansion to their game sold said expansion to better than 90% of their active subscribers at the time.  Yet, WOW only manages 30-40% of their supposed active subs?

So, you insult my intelligence, yet you're the one who blindly accepts something thats told to you without question?  Yeah, im the one who is confused...

That's because only about 4-4.5 mill are actually able to buy it.China's part of the pie is internet cafe's and I'm pretty sure the cafe owner's just pay for a license to use said software.You could have 1000 people using 1 cafe and not count as a copy sold.

I could be wrong,but I'm pretty sure that's how it work's.When Cata released there were closer to 12 mill sub's and that's why 4.7 mill sales.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

This never gets old.

Wait....it does.

Originally posted by Slappy1

We have a winner!

That's because only about 4-4.5 mill are actually able to buy it.China's part of the pie is internet cafe's and I'm pretty sure the cafe owner's just pay for a license to use said software.You could have 1000 people using 1 cafe and not count as a copy sold.

I could be wrong,but I'm pretty sure that's how it work's.When Cata released there were closer to 12 mill sub's and that's why 4.7 mill sales.

Not to mention that the expansions aren't mandatory to play the game.

Yeah, that simple :).

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    DOOM!!! Run for the round house Blizzie, they can't corner you there!

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Yeah it is a bit odd, but facts is facts.

Could be that they can actually see/track active players their end, where as they are relient on getting the sales figures from the outlets etc? /shrug

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122

A portion of the in-game realm selection list

©2004-2009 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. The Burning Crusade is a trademark, and World of Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries

This is when it was more pop hmmm..

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    WOW has 9.6m players, and you are trying to turn that into a negative?  I don't play the game, but given that it was released in 2004 that is pretty bloody impressive.  
    Originally posted by birken

©2004-2009 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved. The Burning Crusade is a trademark, and World of Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries

There isn't a soul on this internet that will believe that that picture is from peak time.

Useless post is useless. Borderline trolling even.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I fail to see why this is news worthy.

Old games ARE supposed to lose subscribership overtime, because people are getting tired of playing the same thing and the graphics are getting outdated?

• prayerlessprayerless Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

WOW doesn't charge China for expacs they get the game and all expacs free and just pay a hourly rate of a few pennies to play 

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by birken

There isn't a soul on this internet that will believe that that picture is from peak time.

Useless post is useless. Borderline trolling even.

I could careless if this game sink or swims it a ok game. Just posting what i found dont be mad. If there are so many people playing 9.6 mil would it matter peak time or not to have so many low server?