Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA feels they are being robbed by Dead Space 3 players

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21367852

Apparently EA is very unhappy with "thieves" who have found ways to quickly grind in game curency (via EA bugs) as opposed to opting to pay real cash via micro-transaction to upgrade weapons. (Shaving a few hours off their gameplay.)

From a British solicitor (wigged up lawyer):

"If you go into a baker's to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that's theft," Sara Ludlam, an intellectual property expert at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley told the BBC.

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well."

Mind you this is a SRPG

Thoughts you dirty stinkin' pirates?

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well."

SUPPOSED TO? Excuse me?! 

My view on this: exploit away. We shouldn't tolerate cash shop crap in single player games, at least not ones there's already a fee for.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Apparently EA is very unhappy with "thieves" who have found ways to quickly grind in game curency (via EA bugs) as opposed to opting to pay real cash via micro-transaction to upgrade weapons. (Shaving a few hours off their gameplay.)

"If you go into a baker's to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that's theft," Sara Ludlam, an intellectual property expert at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley told the BBC.

Mind you this is a SRPG

A solicitor(gives legal advice) doesn't wear a wig, that's a barrister (goes into court).

A  lawyer will argue whatever they are being paid to argue. It's BS, you don't own the virtual items at any point so you can't have stolen it as it remains their property.

it's like A TV shop charging you with theft for watching the tv in their shop.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Thanks for the wig correction.

Also, I forgot to mention it's Day 1 on-disc DLC unlocks apparently. (Or rather, obviously.)

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Mind you this is a SRPG

Well EA do need more money to build more indoor basket courts, lol :P

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Also, I forgot to mention it's Day 1 on-disc DLC unlocks apparently. (Or rather, obviously.)

Now that's fraud, making you pay for something you have already purchased, you own the disc with all the relevant 1s and 0s

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Well, thats EA ethics for ya! (Any1 remember the south park episode with EA games in it?)

But seriously though,, WTF?

We have to pay for the system and the tv (NATURALLY) to play the game on,, AND the game itself (again, naturally).

We also have to pay for any&all dlcs (even day 1 dlcs) if we wanna enjoy em (most but not all dlcs being crap anyways).

And now WE ARE URGED TO PAY REAL LIFE CASH TO UPGRADE OUR WEAPNS AND SHIT IN-GAME, and if we don't do that, but use in-game means ONLY to upgrade our weapons and etcatera, the developers get sad? Really? I mean really...?

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Mind you this is a SRPG

well, they should fix the bug then, eh? till they fixed it it's called feature.

also, the idea to sell items for a singleplayer game (jaja, i know, coop, still no "MP" game) is a pathetic joke from EA

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I wonder whats the law on False Advertising, not just EA but most game companys are reknown for duping the customer with bullshit about their games.

2 can play this game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"EA feels they are being robbed..."

Were you able to keep a straight face while typing that, or were you fighting fits of laughter the whole way through. :)

Related links:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/06/dead-space-3s-microtransactions-exploited-away-already/

http://thenexusnews.com/hackers-created-trainer-to-combat-ea-on-dead-space-3-microtransactions/853566/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

I wonder if they are going to ban any beta testers from playing all their origin games for not reporting this bug

http://www.extremesims.com/index.php?topic=2960.0

EA really are a bunch of turds, they deserve all they get.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I really really really hope EA goes bankrupt. The world would be a vastly better place without EA around to help drag the game industry down with stuff like their blatent extra grab at cash from games like this.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I don't even cry one tear for EA.  They are idiots.  The had bad programming, and somebody found a glitch and used it.  Why not it is better than using microtransactions to get the stuff. 

I am sure EA going to patch this somehow, but really it is their fault for producing a buggy game.  

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Yes its not a nice thing that ea are trying to do, but tbh its not something most other companies wouldn't do if its costing them money.

The argument its a bug they should have fixed before release doesn't work, if a bank puts cash that isn't yours into your account and you spend it, you will have to pay it back otherwise they will take legal action, regardless of whether or not the mistake was theirs.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195
    This is a single player game right? So what's a cash shop doing in a SP game anyway...? Just honestly curious. Do you need it for something?
  • spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I am of the opinion that EA should release compleat games like they used to the people who have been forking out their hard earned cash for their crappy repetitive games for years, while they single handedly lead the charge of everybody trying to screw over their own customers with their "Hey look they payed us cash money for this tosh, lets see how much more we can fleece them for" and "Hey look! Your favorite games developers games arn't formulaic and crappy enough, but don't worry we bought them out and fixed that for you!" attitudes.  I put on my pirate hat and say take them for everything you can.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i said before i was going to be playing Dead Space 3 this year... that changed when i read about microtransactions and the poor  pc port, according to them to avoid PC gamers from saying the pc version is superior.  They know it will always be the case... they just didnt want to do their job for the pc version....

Not buying Dead Space 3. 

As of the bugs, if you leave loopholes in your game, dont blame the players for finding them and using them to their advantage.   This type of games should not even have microtransactions in the first place. If you are doing it wrong, dont blame the players, EA. 

2013 golden poop awards for you, again.

EDIT: i neither support piracy nor bug exploitation, but if i have to boycott EA...... torrent can do magic.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I never paid a dime in a single player game with "online option". Are all single player games nowadays pretending to be MMOs with cash shop? 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Now that's fraud, making you pay for something you have already purchased, you own the disc with all the relevant 1s and 0s

Not that I disagree with you in spirit, but just to play devil's advocate...

You may own a physical disc when you buy a game but don't buyany rights to the game itself. You simply do not own the code at any point. You buy a limited license to access their media, and so that license can cover whatever they say it covers. There is no law against having day 1 DLC available and it certainly is not fraud. If you do not think that the provider has delivered you value then simply vote with your dollar when they offer you their next deal, but there certainly is no minimum amount of 'game' that they have to provide you with at launch for the money they ask.

Now... saying that, I do agree with your general feeling here and loathe day 1 DLC and the other tricks these people pull to try and rinse us for ever more profit.

This is kinda the reason that I tend to not buy new games at launch anymore... I would rather buy them 2 years down the line as a GOTY edition for half the price.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by deakon

Yes its not a nice thing that ea are trying to do, but tbh its not something most other companies wouldn't do if its costing them money.

The argument its a bug they should have fixed before release doesn't work, if a bank puts cash that isn't yours into your account and you spend it, you will have to pay it back otherwise they will take legal action, regardless of whether or not the mistake was theirs.

Whoa there, this is nothing like your analogy. The weapons in question are part of the game and obtainable in the main game that you purchased not something extra they accidently gave you. 

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Dear EA,

Well, this is your fault. If only you had spent the time to find this glitch, you could have spent a bit more in QA and made more in the actual game. Not only is this fair, but you guys have literally no case. Since you didn't spend the time to fix the bugs in the game, players can exploit them. This is not even relateable to stealing. The closest thing this situation would relate to is a person who goes into "Sam's" (Bulk grocery store that provides free samples) and that person getting a free lunch by eating only samples for free instead of paying for food at their deli area. Not only did you provide a means for the person to not pay you for a product, but now you accepted it as part of the game unless you find a way to fix the in game issue.

Sincerely,

Gamers

P.S. Good luck pursuing this and having customers.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

The OP is doing a really good job of reporting these bugs. In EA's EULA you can be perma banned from all their services for not reporting potential bugs. So the OP and others are only doing their job.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    I miss the days when single player games used to have a single price for the ride and online games had a sub for server use and ongoing development...

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

This is a single player game. Wait till single player games are on-line only (DRM).

Better yet...

Hey this is EA.

Hey you player playing our MMO.

I'm sorry, you've been perma-banned.

We noticed you have been gaing XP too quickly.

Clearly you were intened to buy XP boosts to accelerate XP at this level.

You are a thief.

Futhermore, lawsuits, anti-piracy,  etc.

To appeal: create an Origin acount and buy the" I'm sorry" unlock.