Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW drops 400k to 9.6 million

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

This quarter WoW lost 400,000 subscribers and is now at 9.6 million subscribers worldwide.

This is quite a surprise considering that Blizzard said MoP has been very popular in Asia(WoW China got up to 1 million concurrent players which they havent done since TBC).

So, I guess this means that what gains they got by launching MoP in Asia could not counteract the people leaving from NA and Europe.

Perhaps this will mean Blizzard will end their obsession with DAILIES DAILIES DAILIES.

P.S. - Gold Star to the first "WoW doesnt have 9.6 million active subscribers" post.

Comments

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Wow subs dropped 4%

THIS GAME IS DYING FORGET THAT ITS DEAD DEAD DEAD

honestly, that's all you can expect from this topic

/end thread

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

OMG WOW is dead !!! not. come back when it has less than 1M players.

I myself have unsubbed, but will sub again when the new raid comes out in 5.2.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Nice to see the 96% retention rate! A rate other MMOs can only dream about!
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    It's more than 400k, on their last call they said they had "more than 10 million subcribers."
  • NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167
    For a 7 year-old game that's not bad at all. 
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Are you happy now? Imagine only how rest of the games sucks with far less players
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Are you happy now? Imagine only how rest of the games sucks with far less players

4% is far less?

Also, OP, I think Dailies aren't the problem so much as CRZ was a mixed bag of love and hate.

Still, as others have said.  96% retention, thats impressive.

The guy said majority of the sub losses came from CHINA.

I guess westerners like PANDAS more than the Chinese!

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Yeah, 9.6 mil is alot more that most new games, if not all as far as MMORPGs go.

I went back to playing wow, only because I have conceded that only Blizzard will make the "next WoW" killer, all the other games we see are low budget wanna be's or virtual scams.

I recall when wow first came out, it had enough content to keep you busy, you could level with one char to level 60 and then make another one and play completly different content when you took the char to 60, and still be with the same faction. Reason I went back is that they have more than enough content now alomost 10 years later to keep anyone busy for a long time.

They were using a engine that they develped with approx 2001 technology, why in 2010+ we still see low content half made games, and F2P because its "soo expensive" to make with better tech and software is beyond me.....

Games nowadays could probably make a "wow" clone with 4 factions, 15 classes and as much land mass as wow is now at launch with probablly half the manpower

Originally posted by dimnikar

The guy said majority of the sub losses came from CHINA.

I guess westerners like PANDAS more than the Chinese!

Well known fact, the Chinese have been giving out the fuzzy bears as a diplomatic gesture for generations. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Neverdyne

A game that bloomed in popularity at just the right time before competition really started to arise in mass, particularly on the F2P front. Its a big hit no matter what though its not going to 'kill' the game.

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Neverdyne

A game that bloomed in popularity at just the right time before competition really started to arise in mass, particularly on the F2P front. Its a big hit no matter what though its not going to 'kill' the game.

In the same time that they lost 4% of their population, SWTOR lost around 50%.

In one quartrer. 

I'd say its doing great.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Call me when they have 400k subs left like swtor then we can say wow is dead. 

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    That 4% they lost is about the max subs on other mmo's, so big deal.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Well your out of your mind if you really belive wow has 9.6 mil subscribers. Most players are still in china and they have there a pay 2 play per hour system unlike here 15dollar /month.

Blizzard counts those accounts AS FULL SUBSCRIBERS. Now even if 1 played for like 15h and had quitted, he will be counted as subscriber!

Thats how they lie with theyr 9.6mil players. But fools gona believe everything because blizz need to stand with theyr game at the top. I know NOONE of my friends that still play WoW- NOONE. But im anyway in a high educated country- say you play mmos and people start to look down on you, because especially  mmos degenerate. But thats another story.

We have a winner!

First post about how Chinese players aren't real people above my post, somewhere :)

edit: Nevermind how these "fake" players that only play for 1 hour then quit, continue to do this month after month, year on year.... :D :D :D

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Psychow

I don't know what kind of churn or retention they have, but yeah, that's a nice place to be. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Still 600k more subs than a year ago, go fugure.
  • Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

I like Godzilla, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Tekken, Streetfighter etc etc.. oh & I love asian food.

Just keep  the pandas n Asian dynasty fantasy out of my "High Fantasy" aka tolkien, wheel of time, etc etc

Do you pour lime juice on steak? no! you put ketchup or A-1 on that shiz.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

There is no way Blizzard  has 9.6 million players paying $15 a month.

I really wish out of curiosities sake they would release the numbers without including the Chinese players who pay pennies for a couple of hours at a time.

And no, I am not hating, I am a current subscriber for about one more month.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

We have a winner!

First post about how Chinese players aren't real people above my post, somewhere :)

edit: Nevermind how these "fake" players that only play for 1 hour then quit, continue to do this month after month, year on year.... :D :D :D

Who said that the population is growing because of that? Many stop playing, maybe new ones will jump in. The increasement isnt linear only because they count the chinese people. How they get those numbers is still a mistery.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

We have a winner!

You clearly missed the point.  Nowhere did he say they werent players, he was talking about how Blizzard spins sub numbers.

Thats like McDonalds saying that they have 10 million active customers, when you find out that 7 million are people who bought 1 sandwhich 1 time and havent bought anything since.

It would be like GW2 claiming they have 3 million active players because they've sold 3 million boxes of the game.

Anybody who can't read between the lines is fooling themselves.

Unfortunately we'll never be able to prove anything without the data, but i would be willing to bet money that as far as north america and europe goes, and real honest to god ACTIVE subscribers, people who log in and play the game several times a week and maintain a sub (also not including multiple accounts per actual player), that its more like in the 1 to 1.5 million range.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

We have a winner!

You clearly missed the point.  Nowhere did he say they werent players, he was talking about how Blizzard spins sub numbers.

Thats like McDonalds saying that they have 10 million active customers, when you find out that 7 million are people who bought 1 sandwhich 1 time and havent bought anything since.

It would be like GW2 claiming they have 3 million active players because they've sold 3 million boxes of the game.

Anybody who can't read between the lines is fooling themselves.

Unfortunately we'll never be able to prove anything without the data, but i would be willing to bet money that as far as north america and europe goes, and real honest to god ACTIVE subscribers, people who log in and play the game several times a week and maintain a sub (also not including multiple accounts per actual player), that its more like in the 1 to 1.5 million range.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Blizzard counts any player that's paid money to play in the past 30 days. It's written clear as day in their disclaimer *every time* they post sub numbers.

Yet after all these years, so many of you still come up with these insane theories, claiming it's all a big "mystery" just because you fail to understand any of it.

I guess THUNDER and LIGHTNING must be really confusing for you.

edit: I'm out, just wanted to get a taste of the first batch of crazy on here. Have a nice weekend!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Psychow

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Dwarfman420

I like Godzilla, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Tekken, Streetfighter etc etc.. oh & I love asian food.

Just keep  the pandas n Asian dynasty fantasy out of my "High Fantasy" aka tolkien, wheel of time, etc etc

Do you pour lime juice on steak? no! you put ketchup or A-1 on that shiz.

Ketchup? What the hell is the matter with you??? image