Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

2456713

Comments

  • ScypherothScypheroth P.A, SKPosts: 264Member
    i for one cant wait to play this game! It has replaced TESO for me. I wonder when the PC Mag beta keys will be allowed to partake
  • IlayaIlaya BochumPosts: 417Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by steelheartx
    There was also an article recently where they were saying they would like to add other FR locations in like Waterdeep in the future.  Pretty excited to check it out myself.

    Yeah, given that you can be from Amn, etc, I'd hope so.

    Look folks: no one here is calling this game the best game EVAR, but those of us here who've played it enjoyed it so far.  And we're trying to give you as much info about it as possible, mixed with opinions of both the positive and negative. 

    So Bill, you are guilty about me touching "Founders". You and your freaking Stream from last night :P

  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Canton, ILPosts: 163Member
    Game looks fun to me.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by steelheartx
    There was also an article recently where they were saying they would like to add other FR locations in like Waterdeep in the future.  Pretty excited to check it out myself.

    Yeah, given that you can be from Amn, etc, I'd hope so.

    Look folks: no one here is calling this game the best game EVAR, but those of us here who've played it enjoyed it so far.  And we're trying to give you as much info about it as possible, mixed with opinions of both the positive and negative. 

    Agreed that's why I said even though I was perturbed about the lack of classes, I would have to get my hands on the game before I made any kind of final judgement :)

    Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Amory, MSPosts: 2,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

    Call me crazy, but if a game's fun, it's fun.  I disagree with the OP's outright dislike for a game he may not have played yet, but he's right about a couple things.

    Neverwinter is fun, but it DOES need more classes, and more D&D-like functions.  But it's definitely enjoyable to play, that I can attest to after last night.    There were quests I played off-stream that had traps to disarm, but why weren't they in the group-centric dungeon?

    The classes and races selection are definitely the weak spot for me, but so far, it's looking good. IF you can get past that it's not going to be the PnP game in MMO form, as no one ever said it was.

    Is there any kind of NDA in place for this game during the beta weekend that would prevent just anyone from making videos or streaming?

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,973Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Daemonweaver

    It has already been stated and repeated yesterday during the live stream that the game will open with 5 classes but more are on the way in the near future.

    Of course they will add more classes in the future, they have to have something good to sell you in the cash shop don't you know?  Think they won't, look at the ships they sold in STO.

     

    Too easy.... image

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • IlayaIlaya BochumPosts: 417Member Uncommon

     

    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Daemonweaver

    It has already been stated and repeated yesterday during the live stream that the game will open with 5 classes but more are on the way in the near future.

    Of course they will add more classes in the future, they have to have something good to sell you in the cash shop don't you know?  Think they won't, look at the ships they sold in STO.

     

    Too easy.... image

    And for a F2P Game that should be okay, or? image

     

  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,923Member Uncommon

    Really glad you tried the game to make a judgement... oh wait, you most likely didn't...

     

    Seriously, play a game before passing judgement. I had a good feeling SWTOR wouldn't be that amazing long before It was launched but I still gave it a chance to play it. Sure I was right but I couldn't go about blindly bashing a game without playing it. Same went with GW2 which I found lack luster despite giving it a chance. Path of Exile stands as a game that I undercut, not thinking it would be great and sure enough I played it and it defied my expectations quite quickly.

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Ofcourse it will be terrible. This is Cryptic we are talking about. The company that created the STO abomination.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,356MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

    Call me crazy, but if a game's fun, it's fun.  I disagree with the OP's outright dislike for a game he may not have played yet, but he's right about a couple things.

    Neverwinter is fun, but it DOES need more classes, and more D&D-like functions.  But it's definitely enjoyable to play, that I can attest to after last night.    There were quests I played off-stream that had traps to disarm, but why weren't they in the group-centric dungeon?

    The classes and races selection are definitely the weak spot for me, but so far, it's looking good. IF you can get past that it's not going to be the PnP game in MMO form, as no one ever said it was.

    Is there any kind of NDA in place for this game during the beta weekend that would prevent just anyone from making videos or streaming?

    Nope, nada.

  • ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member
    Objective honesty in whatever amount I can get is appreciated.

    Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

    D&D to me means heavy party mechanics, concrete use of the Trinity, and dungeon crawls with friends that are custom built.

    With the Foundry, how can this game not be all of that?

    I see a game where your guild has maybe 3-4 really good DM's who create all kinds of awesome campaigns and the rest of the guild parties up with their clerics and fighters and thieves and wizards runs the content.

    That's D&D in a nutshell isn't it?

    Your experience is only going to be as good as your DM.

    Only thing I really hate about NW so far is the use of companions as combat allies.

    I hate pet classes. HATE.

    Biggest turn off on SWTOR for me was the damn companions. The game was 100000x more fun 1-10 than 10-cap because I hated having a damn stupid pet following me around.

    I hated more that the stupid pet was a NECCESSARY tank or healer or DPS if I was the tank/healer.

    I hate pets... I hate companions.

    Might skip on NW just for that I hate them so much.

  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Columbus, OHPosts: 520Member

    Hey look guys, I could care less if another actionRPG MMO tries to grace us with it's presence but don't slap it with a D&D label then insult the fans even more by giving it the Neverwinter name while making the game nothing at all like D&D(any edition).

     

    For the record, DDO made a plethora of empty promises about adding many classes after launch as well. I think the sadest part is that Neverwinter Online is shaping up to be even less true to D&D then DDO, which is a feat in itself. How many fail MMO's that sandbag their own audience does it take before these devs learn.

     

    The whole reason the PC Neverwinter series was so popular was because of how close it was to D&D. MMO's obviously have more limitations but that's not a free ticket to take a dump on the fans.

     

    RIP Neverwinter series. Oh well maybe Pathfinder has the smarts to pull it off.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Objective honesty in whatever amount I can get is appreciated.

    Thus far it just feels like "race to get the first flame on record for the special old phart angst points".

    All set up for "told you so"  later? Check. My world here is done, and awaaaaay.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • koljanekoljane BelgradePosts: 127Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

    Fighter. Wizard. Rogue. Ranger. Cleric

    - seems reasonable for launch

     

    when D&D launched in 1974 as "Men and Magic" it had 3 classes -- fighting man, magic user, cleric

    Greyhawk in 1975 added 2 clasees, Paladin and Thief

     

    the D&D of today has dozens of classes

    as others have posted, more classes will get added to NWN over time

    Totaly agree on Nadia post. 

    I would rather have new class and races later then having it all at onece,  as also stated D&D have lot of classes today.

    All MMORPG`s will ne looked trough WOW, G2, TERA.... cause people with Tunel Vision will always judge before trying but that is how it is. And lets face it there will be no game with more content than WOW EVER cause it is 8 year old game.

  • BrachusBrachus Taneytown, MDPosts: 86Member
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

    Hey look guys, I could care less if another actionRPG MMO tries to grace us with it's presence but don't slap it with a D&D label then insult the fans even more by giving it the Neverwinter name while making the game nothing at all like D&D(any edition).

     

    Could you please provide some examples of how you perceive it to have nothing to do with D&D? I am honestly curious as I have not been heavily following the game, but was curious to check it out as I have been a D&D player and fan for a long time. The little I have read says the game is based off the 4th edition rules, which is a version I did not enjoy much, but I did feel like it would lend itself to an MMO well.

  • sylum69sylum69 toronto, ONPosts: 97Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

    Ahh, the proverbial, "don't worry, we'll/they'll add it after launch", line. I never get tired of hearing that...That line was gospel when CO launched.

    HAHAHA...yeah...

  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Columbus, OHPosts: 520Member
    Originally posted by Brachus
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

    Hey look guys, I could care less if another actionRPG MMO tries to grace us with it's presence but don't slap it with a D&D label then insult the fans even more by giving it the Neverwinter name while making the game nothing at all like D&D(any edition).

     

    Could you please provide some examples of how you perceive it to have nothing to do with D&D? I am honestly curious as I have not been heavily following the game, but was curious to check it out as I have been a D&D player and fan for a long time. The little I have read says the game is based off the 4th edition rules, which is a version I did not enjoy much, but I did feel like it would lend itself to an MMO well.

    Firstly, you hit/heal for hundreds of damage at very low level. Dungeons are not crawls at all you just charge through and spam heals and dps for 30 minutes until some magic items pop up on the screen, just like WoW.

    There is no unique design for the classes you pick nor multiclassing etc. You can't throw a bow on a fighter and build him like an archer or anything else D&Dish. As someone else mentioned, there's these little gimmick quests that make you feel like a rogue for 30seconds but once you hit a dungeon you just spam dps. This playstyle sound overly familiar? That's because it is. Want a unique character? Too bad you get 5 classes with no half orc or halfling.

    This game is literally the textbook MMO that you download and play for one hour then delete. Wizardry style.

    As for MMORPG staff reviews, you guys seriously need to step up your game. When you refuse to give a game as bad as FFIV a negative review people just ignore your reviews all together. Take a real look at these games without the rose colored glasses on. There was a point on this website where a mod literally deleted every slightly negative review about GW2 shortly after launch.

  • MakidianMakidian Liverpool, NYPosts: 207Member Uncommon
    So if a company bombed on a game they can't redeem themselves at another ?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,356MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

    @Jimmy:

    I wasn't around when FFXIV launched, but one of the first things I did when I took over was get FFXIV reviewed.  

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/reviews/load/147/The-Original-Release-Reviewed.html

    We're not perfect, but I think over the past nearly two years since I began as ME, our reviews and reviewers have been getting better and better.  YMMV. But we ARE making a concerted effort always to be honest, fair, and balanced in our reviews, previews, editorials, everything.

     

  • WarleyWarley Jackson, MIPosts: 376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

    @Jimmy:

    I wasn't around when FFXIV launched, but one of the first things I did when I took over was get FFXIV reviewed.  

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/reviews/load/147/The-Original-Release-Reviewed.html

    We're not perfect, but I think over the past nearly two years since I began as ME, our reviews and reviewers have been getting better and better.  YMMV. But we ARE making a concerted effort always to be honest, fair, and balanced in our reviews, previews, editorials, everything.

     

    Bill, gamers are much,more savvy nowadays.  Everyone with MMO experience over the years knew that Star Wars TOR would be the same ol' watered down WoW clone.  And, yet, it gets great reviews by MMORPG and all the other online magazines that depend heavily on ad revenue.  We know how the world works: it's a business oriented world.  Please don't pretend it isn't.

  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Columbus, OHPosts: 520Member
    Yes but even now you are shying away from saying anything you disliked about the game even though you just playtested it. I'd be interested in hearing from you the 3 biggest pros AND cons you noticed after playing the game. I'm not asking for a conclusive review just both sides of the coin.
  • azarhalazarhal Somewhere, BCPosts: 760Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

    Hey look guys, I could care less if another actionRPG MMO tries to grace us with it's presence but don't slap it with a D&D label then insult the fans even more by giving it the Neverwinter name while making the game nothing at all like D&D(any edition).

     

    For the record, DDO made a plethora of empty promises about adding many classes after launch as well. I think the sadest part is that Neverwinter Online is shaping up to be even less true to D&D then DDO, which is a feat in itself. How many fail MMO's that sandbag their own audience does it take before these devs learn.

     

    The whole reason the PC Neverwinter series was so popular was because of how close it was to D&D. MMO's obviously have more limitations but that's not a free ticket to take a dump on the fans.

     

    RIP Neverwinter series. Oh well maybe Pathfinder has the smarts to pull it off.

    DDO is supposed to be 3.5e and took lots of detour since it was released.

    NWO use 4e. Cryptic went as far as to implement the classes based on the Player Handbook proposed build.

  • WarleyWarley Jackson, MIPosts: 376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Yes but even now you are shying away from saying anything you disliked about the game even though you just playtested it. I'd be interested in hearing from you the 3 biggest pros AND cons you noticed after playing the game. I'm not asking for a conclusive review just both sides of the coin.

    He probably won't answer you or will be very brief and give a canned response since MMORPG.com will be relying on ad revenue when the game gets to that point.  It's just the nature of the business world and the current way our society works.

  • WoopinWoopin LeedsPosts: 1,038Member Uncommon
    Looking at the TB video it actually looks quite good after watching that I am looking forward to giving it a damn good playing. I think some people here are too quick to judge on almost everything. 

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.