Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what role do u love playing in a dungeon?

13»

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I like taking the role of the butthead of the group. Im the guy that does nothing and makes fun of your dps or your inability to do something that I randomly make up.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Zooce

Tank.

I like being in control of the pace of pulling and ensuring the group has a good time.  Being a good tank makes plenty of dps and healer friends for future dungeon runs.  Nothing worse than a tank that can't hold aggro or pulls too much/ too little.

I usually play all the roles (alt-o-holic), so I know what to expect from the other players.

Call me old fashion, but I liked when there was a dedicated puller class.  He would then off load the mob(s) to the tank.

I haven't seen that setup since FFXI though.

Dedicated puller .. probably not. Because who would want to just pull, and sit around doing nothing for the rest of the fight. The puller function is alive and well in WOW hunter, for example. So the function has not gone away, and a good pull is always desirable.

Depends lol, in a setup like FFXI full time puller was fun. Did this many times as thf/rng or thf/nin in FFXI. Track mobs, stealth, attack, flee. Mob shows up at party, tank provokes and you go on the prowl again. A good party would keep this going for hours on end with few breaks and the puller was never sitting around. 

My very first experience with FFXI was when I was over a friend's house who was leveling his 2nd job, a 60ish ranger.  He was the puller for the group.  He had to leave the room for a few minutes, but didn't want to afk on the group, so he told me how to play and what to do.  The very first mob I pulled was an NM raptor named Yowie.  I thought I did good by grabbing a mob with a name, until my party ran away from me before deciding to re-engage and eventually die...

I eventually went on to pick up the game and play a ranger myself.   I naturally hesitated to pull at first after that experience, but I eventually was asked to and quickly got the hang of it.  By the end of my days in the game, I simply couldn't sit back and wait for someone to pull mobs to the group.  Some pullers were just so slow.  I almost always had to assist in pulling or I'd get antsy.  While this was undoubtedly partly because groups and combat in that game was terribly boring to begin with, but also because the task of pulling was itself pretty fun.  

I also miss vanilla > BC WoW, where executing pulls on raid trash packs was vital.  Good hunters also shined with misdirect and feign death.  That was one thing I loved about WoW's combat.  Great players could really stand out.  

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Camp setter-upper and crafting guy, ideally with a flamethrower in case business gets serious.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

The poll is kinda missing a lot of options...

Whenever I can I choose to play a support role, preferably through CC and resource manipulation, though that role seems to have disappeared in the current gen of MMOs. It's rather depressing how simplified the concept of roles in group play have become now. When are we going to see an MMO with some degree of player inerdependancy again?

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    i always enjoyed Rdps , however after tryint tanking i was hooked , now i only play tanks :3 (and pet classes! my 2nd fav)
  • ariasaitchoariasaitcho Member UncommonPosts: 112
    I play best as either healer or tank. and am happy with either role. I had great fun playing a battle cleric in Lime Odyssey's alpha tests too; but I generally suck at dps/mdps roles.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

i love love loooooooove playing healer or support :3

if there's no class available like that (boo) i like playing magic based range dps like mages or warlocks heh

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    In GW2 with its no trinity model I find myself playing more tanky than I do in traditional trinity dungeons. But I use to play healer in vanilla WoW, but bored of that role in TBC and went Melee aka MDPS/Tank. 

When I joined Rift, I fell in love with PvP healing. Never understood how healing in PvP rather than killing could be fun until my time in Rift. So I started playing healer in dungeons again. But I like the Support role in Rift, since I can both heal and DPS and sometimes off tank if needed. Love that hybrid role. So much fun ladies.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Vunak23

If you can't keep track of your own spells/CC/timers then you are never going to be as good as the guy who can. Its not fair for the guy who can that puts effort into maintaining a near perfect rotation on his own be put on par with someone who has a computer do all the timings for them... its cheap. 

Right now you cannot track the amount of cc you put out, without someone developing an add-on.

I am NOT talking about an addon to tell you what to do. I am talking about one that tally up the number of seconds you keep monsters in cc (kind of like a DPS meter .. but for CC).

If you cannot measure whether you are doing well, people are less interested. You can argue to run a dungeon, only whether you can kill a boss matter. But people like DPS meter. And dps is such a successful gameplay element partially because of that. If you want CC to be as successful, have someone implement a CC meter, and people can discuss how to optimze CC and keep mobs stun-locked.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

If you can't keep track of your own spells/CC/timers then you are never going to be as good as the guy who can. Its not fair for the guy who can that puts effort into maintaining a near perfect rotation on his own be put on par with someone who has a computer do all the timings for them... its cheap. 

Right now you cannot track the amount of cc you put out, without someone developing an add-on.

people like DPS meter. And dps is such a successful gameplay element partially because of that. If you want CC to be as successful, have someone implement a CC meter, and people can discuss how to optimze CC and keep mobs stun-locked.

even then it may be elusive

there was much theorycrafting at enchanter site,TheRunes.com, regarding Enchanter mezzing/charming

including what factors make mezzing more effective

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=938&highlight=charisma+affect+mez

in a game like Everquest - the mobs could resist your CC

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I prefer tank or tanky dps. I can't stand rogue DPS and ranged/casters really has only ever enticed me in EQ and Vanguard.

Also a very big fan of support classes a la Druid/Shaman in EQ or Bard/Archon in Rift.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nadia

people like DPS meter. And dps is such a successful gameplay element partially because of that. If you want CC to be as successful, have someone implement a CC meter, and people can discuss how to optimze CC and keep mobs stun-locked.

even then it may be elusive

there was much theorycrafting at enchanter site,TheRunes.com, regarding Enchanter mezzing/charming

including what factors make mezzing more effective

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=938&highlight=charisma+affect+mez

in a game like Everquest - the mobs could resist your CC

But it shows that there is interests in the concept. The same can be said for D3. While D3 has no dedicated CC class (of course), one wiz build is very much CC central. By the use of a passive skill, you can spam a CC to stun-lock any mob, including bosses forever. However, to do it, you have to have a certain critical chance related skill proc fast enough.

And the theorycraft have worked out the exact crit and attack speed (more chance to proc) that one needs for each different level of monster level difficullty. It would be cool if a total several branch of theorycraft, and playstyle can be developed for CC centric play.

This example, of course, is a fluke. I doubt Blizz plans a wiz build based on CC (although i may be wrong on this point). However, it is certainly viable, and there are people who like it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Two things I enjoyed were tanking and rdps (WoW pally tank/ MM hunter pre-Cata). But nowadays with GW2 out I don't think I'd enjoy being pigeonholed into a specific hard role again. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Healer - 29 %

Tank - 21%

Just shows that polls with a low number of votes are not representative.

I have yet to see a game where DPS players do not outnumber healers or tanks 4 to 1.

As for me: Low-life ranged DPS. In most cases these classes offer the most flexibility and depth. The challenge results in entertainment. Playing a melee or healer results in me falling asleep after a few minutes.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

LOL seems only I like unpopular mage. =XD

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I love playing the hacker. I can be useful to other players by breaching security doors or encrypted locked boxes, disable enemy defenses, hijack their droids or vehicles, or steal a corp's advanced research plans.

oops wrong theme image

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I enjoy being the key contributor to a party.  That usually means tanking or healing.  My favorite class, though, was the Friar in DAOC.  They could do decent melee damage while providing some HOTs for the party in the later versions of the game.  Hybrid classes are more fun for me than pures, but not many modern MMOs design to allow them to be fully-effective.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I prefer playing the one getting whipped. 

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**