Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Hyped about the future of the game. 
  • idgaradidgarad Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Meh, wait to enter Eorzea.

Tyria died when they hired the maple story chick that ruins games and since her, their manifesto went down the toilet.

They made promises they couldnt keep. Unless they admit it, fire their whole team like Square-Enix did and hire people that care, Tyria will not be reborn.

One person does not ruin a company - a whole company does that.

No, you'd actually be surprised. The wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time can bring even the largest of companies to it's knees.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Was fairly hyped for it, bought it, played it 2ish months, moved on. Good game, but not something for a veteran MMO player or someone who likes progression or extensive content. Very good game for what it does though.

Well, it's definitely something for this veteran MMO player. Nice lateral progression without the forced treadmill, extensive content, addictive open world realm style PvP in the WvW maps, flat out gorgeous world... to each his own.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Yeah veterans don't all like the same things.  Besides, what 'veteran' usually means on these forums is "someone who agrees with me".
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I wasn't terribly hyped to begin with. I received this game as a birthday gift. It hasn't really held my interest, but I'm not here to bash it.

There is a falsehood being spread throughout this thread.

The falsehood is that this game sold 3 million copies in 5 months.

The game started selling on April 10 2012, and has been for sale for nearly 10 months now.

How do I know this without even looking it up?  My Birthday is April 10. I told my wife to put it on her credit card.

I don't really like the fact that A-net is playing pretty fast and loose with this fastest to 3 million claim when the game was for sale much earlier than what they are actually claiming with the sales data.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by Deleted User
    ... I play as a warrior, I have some defensive cooldowns that make my invulnerable. When they are up I play aggressive just like I should be able to all the time, when they are down, I am running back from the dead or running back to my zerg group,...

Here's a quick summation...

I don't know how to dodge.

They made dailies to train these types of people.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by paulytheb

I wasn't terribly hyped to begin with. I received this game as a birthday gift. It hasn't really held my interest, but I'm not here to bash it.

The game started selling on April 10 2012, and has been for sale for nearly 10 months now.

How do I know this without even looking it up?  My Birthday is April 10. I told my wife to put it on her credit card.

I don't really like the fact that A-net is playing pretty fast and loose with this fastest to 3 million claim when the game was for sale much earlier than what they are actually claiming with the sales data.

There is a safe assumption to be made, however. Anyone that pre-purchased would have bought it anyhow. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

There is a safe assumption to be made, however. Anyone that pre-purchased would have bought it anyhow. 

I did purchase it. In April.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by dimnikar

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

It is a rather moot discussion methinks.  Could people perhaps just agree that Guild Wars 2 has sold many copies and could be considered a successful venture?  Regardless of personal opinion on the qualities of the game, of course.  Objectivity!  The real question and reflection on it's popularity will be how many copies of it's first expansion sell.

Concerning WoW, I would still be a happy camper if I was the developer of a game that has 9 million active subs vs 10 million subs.  Dinner is still on the table.

Would you have bought it at release if you couldn't?

Oderint, dum metuant.

I did purchase it.  IN APRIL  (more emphasis)  

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

You're too stuck with the 5-month thing. You think sales made before September shouldn't count under the 5-month thing. It's arguably true, but think about the fact that the product wasn't really available before September. If there was no prepurchase...people who were likely to buy it at launch time will set aside money for it. Since there was pre-purchase people can opt to put down money beforehand for a product that will be available in September.

And, NO. You did not PURCHASE it in April. What you did is a pre-purchase. What's the difference? You didn't get your product in APRIL. You got your product in SEPTEMBER, with the 3-day headstart.

Would the sales have been less if there was no pre-purchase? Maybe. Some people would have needed the time until September to think deeper and change their minds about buying the game. The concept of a pre-purchase is actually bait to a consumer's weak point: impulsiveness.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

You're too stuck with the 5-month thing. You think sales made before September shouldn't count under the 5-month thing. It's arguably true, but think about the fact that the product wasn't really available before September. If there was no prepurchase...people who were likely to buy it at launch time will set aside money for it. Since there was pre-purchase people can opt to put down money beforehand for a product that will be available in September.

And, NO. You did not PURCHASE it in April. What you did is a pre-purchase. What's the difference? You didn't get your product in APRIL. You got your product in SEPTEMBER, with the 3-day headstart.

Would the sales have been less if there was no pre-purchase? Maybe. Some people would have needed the time until September to think deeper and change their minds about buying the game. The concept of a pre-purchase is actually bait to a consumer's weak point: impulsiveness.

I'm not stuck on the 5 month thing.  The 5 month thing is a lie.  I pre- PURCHASED the game in April. Wow, some of you people are really dense.  I'll spell it all out nice and slow. They took the MONEY for the PRODUCT in APRIL.

They counted me among the 3 million I'm sure, but I did NOT purchase the game in the last 5 months.I puchased the game 10 months ago in APRIL. What is so hard to understand about this?? It is a LIE from A-net.

THEY LIED.  Get it?  They told an untruth, a falsehood. Companies do this all the time. Not just game companies.They call it spin.

The rest of you guys posts are all IF,IF,IF.

If i had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Come back when you have a real argument and not a bunch of IF.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

I'm not stuck on the 5 month thing.  The 5 month thing is a lie.  I pre- PURCHASED the game in April. Wow, some of you people are really dense.  I'll spell it all out nice and slow. They took the MONEY for the PRODUCT in APRIL.

They counted me among the 3 million I'm sure, but I did NOT purchase the game in the last 5 months.I puchased the game 10 months ago in APRIL. What is so hard to understand about this?? It is a LIE from A-net.

THEY LIED.  Get it?  They told an untruth, a falsehood. Companies do this all the time. Not just game companies.They call it spin.

The rest of you guys posts are all IF,IF,IF.

If i had a million dollars, I'd be rich.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Come back when you have a real argument and not a bunch of IF.

What you don't understand is that you didn't get the product when you gave them your money. A purchase is only completed when the buyer acquired what he/she paid for. They can count you as part of the sales made in September because that's when they made the product available to everyone, including you, who gave the money months ago.

I agree that their statement paints a false picture. It makes unknowing people think that the company only started taking money for about 5 months. But it's shallow to think that they lied. If ANet or NCSoft included the earnings from prepurchases in their Q1 and Q2 reports, you have a case. As far as I know, money from pre-purchases reflected on Q3,  as were actual launch purchases.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

By your logic it still would have beaten all the other MMOs to the punch as they too had pre-purchases started beforehand. That is not logical. The fact is that the game did not LAUNCH until months after you pre-ordered it. Just because you pre-ordered it does not mean that it counts towards sales until the actual launch of the game.  Ironically even if you don't count pre-order sales, the game still sold nearly 2 million in the same time frame which is still the fastest selling MMO of all time. 

But yeah, if you don't understand basic economics there is no use in arguing semantics with you. You can't lie to investors. That is a great way to you know, lose investors.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Oh not the "I bought it in April so it has been selling for almost a year now!".

Imagine there was no pre-purchases and pre-orders-

Come launch day the 1 million pre-purchasers would have to buy it then.

Simple.

I bought it in April. Had I not bought it in April, I would have bought it in the 28th August.

They received it earlier, good for them - they had €70 more earning interest in their bank account for 5 months more. And I was able to have sneak peak and be certain to play it in the second it went live.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by bliss14
    Originally posted by dimnikar

If WoW hadn't created the market for this type of game, GW2 wouldn't sell jack squat.

It's amazing how many of you dare to compare a game releasing today to a game released nearly 10 years ago. Do you even know how much the market grew since then?

Think of it this way: if the market for a product is 10 people and you sell to 3 of those in 2005, but it's 100 people in 2012 and you sell to 5... Which sold faster?

Lots of ways to look at this. Only one is correct.

It is a rather moot discussion methinks.  Could people perhaps just agree that Guild Wars 2 has sold many copies and could be considered a successful venture?  Regardless of personal opinion on the qualities of the game, of course.  Objectivity!  The real question and reflection on it's popularity will be how many copies of it's first expansion sell.

Concerning WoW, I would still be a happy camper if I was the developer of a game that has 9 million active subs vs 10 million subs.  Dinner is still on the table.

The market would have grown anyway.

The gaming market grew.

Internet access became faster, cheaper and reached more people.

PCs became cheaper.

Asia became richer.

Also, it is alot harder to sell in today market because the number of competitors grew tremendously as well (vide WoW western population that dropped from a max 10-12 million to today 3-4million).

Blizzard and WoW had a great opportunity window and they had the skill to take it, reaching to an untapped market of more casual gamers than those playeing games like UO, EQ and such, and then years later was able to carve a nice market in China.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

TBH I found I hyped for nothing much.

I loved GW games and was sure GW2 will be about the same. So far it's same only at one point: nerf all...

GW2 is ok game when you have just few hours of free time and you love to have game not involving your full attention for very good looking with nice music (and weird sound tracks: effects, voices etc).

If you need real game with much to do it will be a bad choice.

Then at present time seems we have nothing much to play either (I mean new A+++ game: fun, polished with great graphic, good music, large content, low grind etc etc).

So all depends on use, I guess. GW1 games were pretty unique game experience I've got, but it ended by now and seems never come back again.

Good luck to all who loves GW2, I don't hate it, just find very average and not worth hype we got about.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

Originally posted by Lovely_Laly

TBH I found I hyped for nothing much.

I loved GW games and was sure GW2 will be about the same. So far it's same only at one point: nerf all...

GW2 is ok game when you have just few hours of free time and you love to have game not involving your full attention for very good looking with nice music (and weird sound tracks: effects, voices etc).

If you need real game with much to do it will be a bad choice.

Then at present time seems we have nothing much to play either (I mean new A+++ game: fun, polished with great graphic, good music, large content, low grind etc etc).

So all depends on use, I guess. GW1 games were pretty unique game experience I've got, but it ended by now and seems never come back again.

Good luck to all who loves GW2, I don't hate it, just find very average and not worth hype we got about.

Well there's your problem! Failure of expectations due to inadequate research. It was well known long before release that GW2 was not going to be like the original Guild Wars. This is a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing I think... you're so busy looking for GW in GW2 that you can't see GW2, only not-GW. 

That being said, they've lived up well to the hype, exceeding expectations for many like even myself. But I never expected GW 1.5, I expected something new and pretty much got it. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Where's that 40K Kills screenshot from WvW by the way? Still waiting to see that...

40k ?#"#% maybe a crit hit from a superior golem?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    But I never expected GW 1.5, I expected something new and pretty much got it. 

Personally, would it have been GW 1.5, I wouldn't have played it. GW2 was advertised as a true MMORPG, not a lobby based CORPG game.

Same here.  While GW1 was a decent game, I didn't really enjoy the whole setup much at all.  Or the combat.  Or the aggro.

Originally posted by pedrostrik

Where's that 40K Kills screenshot from WvW by the way? Still waiting to see that...

40k ?#"#% maybe a crit hit from a superior golem?

He was claiming to have over 40K kills in WvW, but when called on it he conveniently had uninstalled the game. Of course, he could reinstall and get proof, but for that to happen proof would actually have to exist.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    But I never expected GW 1.5, I expected something new and pretty much got it. 

Personally, would it have been GW 1.5, I wouldn't have played it. GW2 was advertised as a true MMORPG, not a lobby based CORPG game.

Same here.  While GW1 was a decent game, I didn't really enjoy the whole setup much at all.  Or the combat.  Or the aggro.

Or the fact that you are always alone in the world, or with the few people you're grouped with, and that outside hubs (aka cities), you have zero chances to encounter other random players. I rather play Skyrim or Assassin's Creed then.

That aspect of GW1 I had fun with, mainly doing Vanquishes. But of course, there's a group of you planning on the vanquish and you don't have the expectations of meeting more people, so that tempered the lonely feeling. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Played it for 2 months - full dungeon gear on 4 characters, exotics out the wazoo, 120g cash, commander's license and high ranked in structured.

Basically had nothing left to do at the end of that 3 months so haven't played since. I've patched and loaded it a few times, honestly it seems as if they've done next to nothing with the game since I stopped playing months ago.

To achieve all of the above I clocked in about 380 hours, so I averaged 200 hours per month almost. Some might say this is hardcore but actually it's 7 hours a day roughly, so people who averaged more like 10-12 probably ran the content even faster than me.

I think GW2 is a fantastic game for people who play MMOs 3 hours or less a day, for me it really had no sustainability.

I figure I got 400 hours out of it but not a lot more, for that I was happy - the strength was always going to be in the WvW and dungeon system, both of which are incredibly lacking in the game. One could argue I could have farmed towards a legendary but the requirements of that were an unbelievable grind, for what is a cosmetic item only.

They released 6 months too early in my opinion due to their huge lawsuit costs and it cost them decent endgame content. Two endgame zones, both of which were crap. A broken dungeon system that was more frustrating then enjoyable and a WvW system that was dull after a very short order.

I don't know how player numbers are in game now but last time I logged in it was pretty dead.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I would ask the question of how many normal people, with a family, a job, having to to earn money to live, can afford playing video games 7+ hours a day every day for two consecutive months, but I guess I'd waste my time since I'd get all kinds of more or less credible excuses (more less than more... =P) of why it's very possible while still having a sane and balanced life.

So whatever...

Point being, people who can do that are a minority. The vast majority are those who can NOT afford that kind of "lifestyle".

How so? Finish work at 4, bit of dinner and/or shower, play until midnight or 1am, bed then work again. Obviously weekends and days off were more playtime, thus balancing numbers for days where I didn't play at all (maybe go out with the girlfriend, see a movie, grab dinner, had late meetings, whatever). How is that an 'unrealistic lifestyle' and even a minority? Of the dozen people I know, almost all accomodate that lifestyle just fine.

I'm glad you can speak for an entire majority of people based purely on your own limitations. I was merely citing how fast I ran through the content. People who played more than me would've ran it even faster (est 1 month), people who played slightly less at 4-5 hours a day would've maybe taken another month and your casuals playing 2-3 hours a day would generally of run through it in 6 months; so right about now in the timeframe. Of course that's speculation, I know people who play for 5 hours a day and do nothing but craft and talk with buddies so therefore they're not even doing the content.

Not everyone lives a life of 12 hour work days, commuting and/or a job where you commit 40-50+ hours a week of your life. Infact in the UK our standard work week is 37 hours, and for me it's often a bit less.

Frankly it's sad your only response to my "this game could do with more content and I think it's why people are abandoning the game" post was you griping on how I enjoy more free time than you seemingly.