Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is Emperor

So eventually an Emperor will be crowned in Cyrodil. But who is actually Emperor?

If there are mutliple campaigns then there wll be multiple battles taking place and eventually multiple Emperors will be crowned. Or will the Emperor be crowned on the average of all campaigns and so in the campain you are currently fighting you were victorious but over all another campaign gets to choose the Emperor.

Also, does entering a campaign lock you into a particular instance of the map outside Cryodil?

For instance, if I am in a campaign and we are winning, when I leave Cryodil will I only be able to interact with others from that campaign or will I have to wander around the rest of the world map where some people are taling about the glorious victory the DC just had while others are drowning their sorrows. I just can't work out how it is going to work, especially how these various campaigns are going to link into the rest of the world.

Anyone know how the hell it will work?

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by Maelwydd So eventually an Emperor will be crowned in Cyrodil. But who is actually Emperor? If there are mutliple campaigns then there wll be multiple battles taking place and eventually multiple Emperors will be crowned. Or will the Emperor be crowned on the average of all campaigns and so in the campain you are currently fighting you were victorious but over all another campaign gets to choose the Emperor. Also, does entering a campaign lock you into a particular instance of the map outside Cryodil? For instance, if I am in a campaign and we are winning, when I leave Cryodil will I only be able to interact with others from that campaign or will I have to wander around the rest of the world map where some people are taling about the glorious victory the DC just had while others are drowning their sorrows. I just can't work out how it is going to work, especially how these various campaigns are going to link into the rest of the world. Anyone know how the hell it will work?

My guess is there will be an emperor per campaign, and the affects of being emperor will be limited to when your in that campaign

No you wont be locked to a campaign when out pve'ing in the rest of the world, it would defeat the point of the mega server, if you were going to lock people to that campaign for pve as well you may as well just go the normal server route.

• Darkarai79Darkarai79 Member Posts: 39
    i wonder if it would be set up like a leaderboard server wide (since theres one server lol) and people fight for the top. ONE leaderboard not many leaderboards. 
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by deakon

My guess is there will be an emperor per campaign, and the affects of being emperor will be limited to when your in that campaign

No you wont be locked to a campaign when out pve'ing in the rest of the world, it would defeat the point of the mega server, if you were going to lock people to that campaign for pve as well you may as well just go the normal server route.

So you think there will be potetially hundreds of Emperors roaming about? I sincerely hope not but the alternative is to have 1 Emperor decided by an overall average which will probably mean that, even if your campaign you are totally dominant you may never get the oppertunity. Sad thought.

As for not being locked outside Cyrodil the same issues are there. You mean another member of your faction, get to talking about campaigns, find they are winning while you are losing...not only does it completely destroy immersion but it will also get people leaving campaigns I suspect. That will mean, as time goes by you will get more and more one sided campaigns. Again that isn't good.

I was fine with the idea of megaserver to begin with but the more I think on it the worse I feel about it. And I honestly cannot see how it will work successfully but I hope when it gets tested tehy resolve these issues.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Who run Barter Town?

Sorry couldn't resist. I would assume, like has been posted, there would be a leader board of some sort. My question would be how long will the reign be once attained.

Originally posted by Darkarai79
    i wonder if it would be set up like a leaderboard server wide (since theres one server lol) and people fight for the top. ONE leaderboard not many leaderboards. 

But wouldn't that encourage people to want to leave unsuccessful campaigns to join ones that are high up the leaderboard? Isn't taht kind of falling into the same trap GW2 did where people just left losing maps to join winning ones and then the PvP is made a pointless grind?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This makes a good point about the mega server. If you can just pve on any shard you like, there won't be any link between pvp and pve. They will be 2 separate games like gw2. :(

So no pveers wanting the pvpers to do well on their server and have relics, no crafters wanting territory held to get at resources and what have you.

Or people switching to pve channels where the campaign is winning so they buy off crafters there rather than the ones on their own loosing campaign. This will encourage those that aren't arsed about pvp, and noobs who like to "win" through merging to switch to campaigns where they win, the alliance point penalty won't deter them.

Basicly mega server with rvr is a bad idea. It was broken in tsw. It is broken in games that don't have megaserver but let you roll different sides on same server.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Who is Emperor?

My guess would be some ADHD Basement Dwelling kid who plays 16hrs a day, has alternating CaPiTaL letters in his characters name and is known to frequently use they word GHEY.

All Hail the crown Emperor of Cyrodiil!!

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by Maelwydd

Originally posted by deakon My guess is there will be an emperor per campaign, and the affects of being emperor will be limited to when your in that campaign No you wont be locked to a campaign when out pve'ing in the rest of the world, it would defeat the point of the mega server, if you were going to lock people to that campaign for pve as well you may as well just go the normal server route.
    So you think there will be potetially hundreds of Emperors roaming about? I sincerely hope not but the alternative is to have 1 Emperor decided by an overall average which will probably mean that, even if your campaign you are totally dominant you may never get the oppertunity. Sad thought. As for not being locked outside Cyrodil the same issues are there. You mean another member of your faction, get to talking about campaigns, find they are winning while you are losing...not only does it completely destroy immersion but it will also get people leaving campaigns I suspect. That will mean, as time goes by you will get more and more one sided campaigns. Again that isn't good. I was fine with the idea of megaserver to begin with but the more I think on it the worse I feel about it. And I honestly cannot see how it will work successfully but I hope when it gets tested tehy resolve these issues.

Your assuming a lot tho

As long as they restrict the emperor perks to the pvp zone you wont be aware of 100's of emperors running around, and the people talking thing will be dependent on how well the system for sorting players work.

They have said you will be sorted into versions of the world that takes into account guild mates being in the area first, friends list second, people you have played with before next then your questionnaire answers. If that works as planned then you will be put in with people from your campaign for the most part, yes you will be able to find out which campaign is winning, but thats no different from finding out that your faction is winning on another server, as long as the cost is prohibitive it wont be that big an issue.

Remember the pvp progression system is personal, not just server wide perks like in gw2, that means if your performing well you will progress regardless of whether or not your faction isn't, that means less reason to swap especially as it will actually cost you that progression to do so.

Wouldn't said kid be playing some game with arena type pvp or a MOBA.

Such types seem to be poor at rvr, where teamwork and ability to work with others is more important than gear grinding and fotm speccing.
    This megaserver paints them into a corner.

It stops them making alternative rule set servers, like ones where you can go anywhere and group with anyone for those that don't care for rvr.

It puts pressure on the server they do have to break systems for those that do want to keep their rvr pure.

It makes pve and pvp 2 separate games with no interdependence between the systems.

This whole megaserver and faction locked races in the same game is...dumb.

Just watched a youtube video with 2 bothers discussing faction locks as it is the biggest topic on all the TES forums. One comment made me grimace. They were talking about which faction tehy would play and realised they wanted to play differnt races belonging to different factions.

2 brothers, playing the same game, using the megaserver technology that lets you play with friends intelligently...but seperated from playing together because one always plays an Argonain and the other wants play a High Elf. I really don't think they thought about how their designs would work.

Originally posted by ShakyMo This megaserver paints them into a corner. It stops them making alternative rule set servers, like ones where you can go anywhere and group with anyone for those that don't care for rvr. It puts pressure on the server they do have to break systems for those that do want to keep their rvr pure. It makes pve and pvp 2 separate games with no interdependence between the systems.

Personally I'm glad about that. They should be separated because other wise you run the risk of alienating those that only like one, it also means you can balance both separately rather than the balance of one annoying the other.

I get that there are issues, I do think that if the sorting system doesn't work as intended the community for pve will suffer, but I also believe they are aware of this which is why they are trying to make it so the gamers bring their communities to the game, through integration of social media etc and their sorting system can fill in the gaps, but like i say its very dependent on that system working.

TBH tho even if the sorting system fails hard I think that in the long run the mega server is a good thing, no more empty servers, no more merges, no more having to change my toons name because I've transfered/merged, no more having to re-roll/transfer to be with friends on a different server.

• MollowMollow Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Blasphim

Who run Barter Town?

Sorry couldn't resist. I would assume, like has been posted, there would be a leader board of some sort. My question would be how long will the reign be once attained.

i guess until another faction succesfully invade the imperial City and take the White Gold Tower.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    They will remove this feature at some point.

Just watched a youtube video with 2 bothers discussing faction locks as it is the biggest topic on all the TES forums. One comment made me grimace. They were talking about which faction tehy would play and realised they wanted to play differnt races belonging to different factions.

2 brothers, playing the same game, using the megaserver technology that lets you play with friends intelligently...but seperated from playing together because one always plays an Argonain and the other wants play a High Elf. I really don't think they thought about how their designs would work.

Yet they can each play the characters they want and have an alt on their brothers faction, play together through 2 100% different stories, rather than just one

Yet they can each play the characters they want and have an alt on their brothers faction, play together through 2 100% different stories, rather than just one

They don't want to have to create an alt to play together.

LOL you think that forcing one of the brothers to create an alt just so they can play together isn't stupid in the least?

Expand that to guilds and you will have many people forced to create characters they don't really want to play just to be able to team up with guild mates...I mean come on, you can't think that is ok.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

They don't want to have to create an alt to play together.

LOL you think that forcing one of the brothers to create an alt just so they can play together isn't stupid in the least?

Expand that to guilds and you will have many people forced to create characters they don't really want to play just to be able to team up with guild mates...I mean come on, you can't think that is ok.

This is exactly my issue. I don't have a brother I want to be playing with I have 5 friends from another game I want to be playing with. Tell me how 5 people are going to go about picking a faction without at least 2-3 of them being irritated with the races they are forced to pick. All of us are huge MMO fans all huge TES fans with very distinct opinions yet all of us agree this is the dumbest thing they could have done.

Pester them for a separate server where you can be all chums together then.

Like err... daoc had.

Originally posted by Maelwydd This whole megaserver and faction locked races in the same game is...dumb. Just watched a youtube video with 2 bothers discussing faction locks as it is the biggest topic on all the TES forums. One comment made me grimace. They were talking about which faction tehy would play and realised they wanted to play differnt races belonging to different factions. 2 brothers, playing the same game, using the megaserver technology that lets you play with friends intelligently...but seperated from playing together because one always plays an Argonain and the other wants play a High Elf. I really don't think they thought about how their designs would work.
    They don't want to have to create an alt to play together. LOL you think that forcing one of the brothers to create an alt just so they can play together isn't stupid in the least? Expand that to guilds and you will have many people forced to create characters they don't really want to play just to be able to team up with guild mates...I mean come on, you can't think that is ok.

You make it sound like rolling alts is just awful, which for someone who claims to love playing alts is...well...odd

They are going to get two completely different stories instead of one while getting to play the race they want and experience a second race too. Faction identity isn't dumb at all, YOU just don't like it so are trying your hardest to paint it that way.

Please just stop trying to push this agenda of yours, its getting tiresome now.

It's not "the biggest topic on all the TES forums" at all, its only a big issue on this site because you keep posting thread after thread about it.

Get over it, its not changing, its for too late for them to even consider changing it, move on.

I think Mael just wants to break pvp for everyone.

He is after all playing tsw which has broken pvp due to the all chums together pve.

Instead if trying to break rvr with a bunch of wishy washy half way house, make pvp meaningless suggestions, these "faction locks are destroying my life" people would be better employed festering zenimax to make a separate server with a carebear ruleset.
  • xxxar4gronnxxx will be the emperor.

You make it sound like rolling alts is just awful, which for someone who claims to love playing alts is...well...odd

They are going to get two completely different stories instead of one while getting to play the race they want and experience a second race too. Faction identity isn't dumb at all, YOU just don't like it so are trying your hardest to paint it that way.

Please just stop trying to push this agenda of yours, its getting tiresome now.

It's not "the biggest topic on all the TES forums" at all, its only a big issue on this site because you keep posting thread after thread about it.

Get over it, its not changing, its for too late for them to even consider changing it, move on.

Who on earth wants to play a game doing something they don't enjoy?

Don't you get it, they both want to play the characters they want to play and see a major problem with races being faction locked becase it forces one of them to do something they don't want to do. It isn't about doing another story as an alt, it is about one of them having to compromise just to play the game.

As for biggest topic on the forums....feel free to browse the forums and see for yourself.

And the point isn't about changing or not, it is about loyal TES fans deliberating if they will play the game. Just think about that for a moment, TES fans deliberating over wether to play or not...I sure see that as an issue the developers better hope they did their research on.

What mmo were they playing before? Because even pve games like wow won't let your orc playvwith your brothers night elf.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I can answer this actually.  Matt/Paul/everyone told us back in October that the Emperor position will be controlled by the controlling guild and faction in Cyrodiil, and yes it can change constantly.  More details on how it all works we'll just have to wait for.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Who on earth wants to play a game doing something they don't enjoy?

no one.. Meaning companies don't have to focus on those who do not enjoy their product(s). It seems to be set in stone as it stands, i guess those who hate the idea of faction locks won't be playing. If in turn that hurts Zenimax, we can talk about that when the time comes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson