Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three Way Split - The Biggest Problem...

13»

Comments

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by Caliburn101 Having reviewed the posts on these forums about the various pro's and con's of ESO being the inheritor of TES lore and 'DAOC' gameplay, I can appreciate where the pro's are coming from. I was focussed until recently on the lack of freedom to see all of the gameworld with one character with this setup, and until yesterday thought it the biggest issue... ... but it isn't... It hit me like a truck lunchtime yesterday. With three locked out factional areas - surely the devs have taken on the 'content locust' effect with both arms tied behind their backs! In PvE terms, they are essentially trying to create THREE MMOs in one - and with 100% voiced NPCs too? Now I am always prepared to give a game company the benefit of the doubt - but it is very difficult to see how the kind of player like me - who really likes to focus on a single main and who values the replayability of the PvE as much as the fun of the PvP - is going to have enough to do... ... is the game simply going to be that VAST? If it is vast enough for this not to be a concern - is the PvE element going to be varied enough to be engaging medium to long term? I must admit I find it difficult to accept that the game will be so big (in terms of the number of varied and interesting PvE 'things to d::o'):: that it is in-effect the size and scope of Morriwind, Oblivion AND Skyrim combined... ... that said - my hat would be off to them if they pull such a collossal feat off... ... but I wonder if it can be done...

Just because they are creating 3 leveling areas it doesn't mean the end game has to be segregated, in fact I highly doubt it will be.

Here's what we know, PvP will take place on cyrodiil, so that will obviously be shared content, but also PvE is centered on cyrodiil too, Mannimarco is working with/using the current emperor for his and Molag Bal's plan, so I think its highly likely that at least some of the end game pve content will take place in and around the capitol.

Also a key thing they have pushed in interviews and their intro video is "adventure zones", when they talk about these they say they can be done solo in a group or in multiple groups(raids), if it scales to group size its more than likely instanced and if its instanced theres no reason it cant be shared content.

The only time they really need to think about whether or not they have bitten off more than they can chew is when it comes to an expansion, but even that can be written around

I REALLY hope you are right about this - but detail is very scant on the extent of adventure zones or shared PvE.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

The biggest problem I find with faction locking will happen if Zenimax doesn't do something to keep all 3 factions balanced, like in daoc on some servers, 1 realm has way more, or even more than the other 2 put together combined so it just dominates the pvp. I can see alot of people playing the humans.

I honestly think it would be better done if you could pick yoru race right, and THEN pick which faction you wish to join. I really dislike it as well when they lock certan factions to certan races. Like the humans are with orcs, and i've always hated how dumb Orc's look in elder scrolls games, so thats not going to sit well with me at all.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by rygard49

IMO, the biggest problem with this game is the forum goers who create laundry lists of 'issues' without the game even being available to play. How does one come to such an important conclusion about a games biggest problem without experience of all of said game's errors and missteps? 

First of all, the game might have much bigger problems than lack of content, closed off factions, heavily instanced single player storylines, etc. The game might have severe graphical errors that cause siezures in otherwise healthy adults. The game might have a backdoor trojan that steals your personal info and transmits it to Africa opening you up to identity theft. The game might become self aware, and unite the machinery of the world against us humans.

Those would be pretty fucking big problems. Just sayin'.

Yes - of course they would, but they are unlikely aren't they...

... plus they are more easily fixed than fundamental strategic-level design features which undermine the popularity of the IP with the very people they want to hook with it.

There are FAR fewer fans of DAOC than TES. This is a matter of fact explained by the timeframe involved and the multiple success story of every TES game to date.

To force fundamental changes to a successful IP formula to lever in a successful (but far older) PvP MMO IP was a false choice and partially self-defeating.

Psh, yeah. Self-aware AI taking over the world is more easily fixed than the 3 faction system. Whatever you say, Neo.

But seriously, the formula was going to have to change with the change in genre from single player to MMO. My point above was that none of us have played the game. None of us have any firsthand experience with whether or not the decisions they've made have resulted in a fun game or a total disaster. The only things we have to go on are the small tidbits of info we get through interviews and the like, and that's not much.

Topics like these have popped up since the announcement that they were making an Elder Scrolls MP game, and the complaints are made without solid foundation.

But I guess that's what forums are for right? Carry on, then.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

IMO, the biggest problem with this game is the forum goers who create laundry lists of 'issues' without the game even being available to play. How does one come to such an important conclusion about a games biggest problem without experience of all of said game's errors and missteps? 

First of all, the game might have much bigger problems than lack of content, closed off factions, heavily instanced single player storylines, etc. The game might have severe graphical errors that cause siezures in otherwise healthy adults. The game might have a backdoor trojan that steals your personal info and transmits it to Africa opening you up to identity theft. The game might become self aware, and unite the machinery of the world against us humans.

Those would be pretty fucking big problems. Just sayin'.

Yes - of course they would, but they are unlikely aren't they...

... plus they are more easily fixed than fundamental strategic-level design features which undermine the popularity of the IP with the very people they want to hook with it.

There are FAR fewer fans of DAOC than TES. This is a matter of fact explained by the timeframe involved and the multiple success story of every TES game to date.

To force fundamental changes to a successful IP formula to lever in a successful (but far older) PvP MMO IP was a false choice and partially self-defeating.

Psh, yeah. Self-aware AI taking over the world is more easily fixed than the 3 faction system. Whatever you say, Neo.

Oh you new generation people you... he was referring to Skynet in Terminator... not The Matrix >.<

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

Topics like these have popped up since the announcement that they were making an Elder Scrolls MP game, and the complaints are made without solid foundation.

But I guess that's what forums are for right? Carry on, then.

There is solid foundation...from the latest CGI trailer to developer interviews to game site reviews to Alpha and Beta reviews and convetions...if you knew anything about the game then you would realise the reason why these discussions are taking place is because it is the only real solid information we have currently.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    I disagree. The three way split is not the biggest problem of the game. The biggest problem is the decision to sacrifice the world design for three faction PvP.

It takes one to know one.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No the biggest problem is the megaserver.

It breaks the rvr ruleset they have on the one server they do have.

It stops them from making a carebear server to keep me away from pious pve extremists.

It stops them from making a pvp everywhere server for people that like that kinda thing.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

It stops them from making a carebear server to keep me away from pious pve extremists.

It stops them from making a pvp everywhere server for people that like that kinda thing.

I thought I read somewhere you take a personality test and you get put on a sub-server type deal based on your answers? I figured open PvP and other rulesets would fit into the subserver category, but I don't remember where I read that so it's speculation from me.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

I thought I read somewhere you take a personality test and you get put on a sub-server type deal based on your answers? I figured open PvP and other rulesets would fit into the subserver category, but I don't remember where I read that so it's speculation from me.

Yea its not a personality test but some questions about your playstyle and you're put along side with ppl that fit your playstyle.