Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surprise, surprise. This game is terrible

JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it.[mod edit]

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    5 classes? Really? I will withhold judgement until I play it as far as gameplay goes, but by what I have read and seen it looks pretty bad. Especially since they added the D&D name to it as so far I have to see how it relates.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Have you played it or is your opinion only based on only having 5 classes?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

I dunno. Based on the limited information we have from videos and other media, I would say that we don't have the whole story about the game yet (yes I know, that assessment is pretty darn obvious). Forming such a one-sided opinion about the game based on limited information seems, well, like a knee-jerk reaction intended to do only one thing; spread hate and misinformation.

As a person who openly dislikes Cryptic games, I find this one interesting. At least more so than their previous products. Im actually interested so far, and await more information.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Of course none of these people have played it, they've only watched videos and over analyzed a game because they think it should be this idealized version that they have in their head.

Sadly, being a video game, it has limitations.

They chose to go this route with this game, have you guys tried the Play station 2 Neverwinter action games where you play as like 3 classes and then you can unlock Drizzt?  Yeah exactly!  This game is a throw back to those sort of action RPGs.

Why can't there be room for more than one type of game?  Why can't there be games that are simple and casual and fun? 

Just let this game be what it is, and don't be skeptical finger pointers.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Call me crazy, but if a game's fun, it's fun.  I disagree with the OP's outright dislike for a game he may not have played yet, but he's right about a couple things.

Neverwinter is fun, but it DOES need more classes, and more D&D-like functions.  But it's definitely enjoyable to play, that I can attest to after last night.    There were quests I played off-stream that had traps to disarm, but why weren't they in the group-centric dungeon?

The classes and races selection are definitely the weak spot for me, but so far, it's looking good. IF you can get past that it's not going to be the PnP game in MMO form, as no one ever said it was.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Neverwinter will launch with five classes as far as we know but if you look at any credible D&D site, there are a ton of other classes that can and undoubtedly will be added. 

That combined with its Cryptic and they love adding classes (power sets and what not)

Every game has to start from some point.  I think that if you compare this game against other action games like Vindictus and C9 you'll find that it looks more polished and its releasing with more classes than they did.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

I don't know whats more tragic: that this game is not even inspired by D&D rules or that they are actually placing the D&D label on a game with 5 classes total.......... Yep if you're the games supposed target audience you will be very disappointed, as Neverwinter has virtually no semblance of D&D in it. To pretend like this game has anything to do with the Neverwinter series is as obvious a lie as Romney's tax plan.

However, if you want a bad combination of WoW and Tera, with far less content, you should be well satisfied. If you're throwing all your cards on the foundry you can expect it to be the most limited building experience you'll ever encounter given how limited the game is in general.

For once the mmorpg.com hype meter is correct dropping this game off the radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

From what we've seen it's a fairly robust system. What makes you feel it will be "The most limited building experience you'll ever encounter" since it directly contradicts everything we know about the game thus far? 

Those that have actually played D&D (More specifically the 4.0 ruleset) already do see a good bit of D&D in Neverwinter and thats without even mentioning the lore. 

Yes, 5 classes are a bit limited. I'd like more, but I'm not sure how this keeps it from being D&D. 

As far as this not having anything to do with Neverwinter, I am a bit confused. If you are reffering to place then yes it clearly does have something to do with Neverwinter lol. If you are reffering to Neverwinter Nights then no, they already said they weren't making a new Neverwinter Nights game. 

All in all I guess I'm confused on your stance, maybe if you could elaborate it would resolve my confusion. 

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D is a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO. Of course Bill Murphy will say its great, he has to until it releases so he can get ad revenues. Its why no one takes MMORPG.COMs previews seriously. Remember when they told us TSW and FFXIV were great?
  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D kis a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO

It's launching as a Free-to-play game. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by SBFord

I wouldn't say "undoubtedly" - that's an unfounded assumption. Many games promised more classes and weren't able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe. What makes it undoubtable this game will be able to do it differently? 

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D is a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO. Of course Bill Murphy will say its great, he has to until it releases so he can get ad revenues. Its why no one takes MMORPG.COMs previews seriously. Remember when they told us TSW and FFXIV were great?

Nothing wrong with TSW, and cryptic has done a great job improving star trek..[mod edit]

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

We have to remember anything craptic touches is well crap. They ruined Star Trek remember? Placing D & D on an mmo and having it be nothing like D & D kis a disgrace. It will be f2p quicker than CO and STO

It's launching as a Free-to-play game. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

I was wondering the same thing lol... 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

I saw the stream, this isn't my cup of joe as it was. But as a long time D&D computer game fan, and someone who is passably familiar with the newer rule sets, this doesn't seem that far off of its D&D roots. Yea it needs more classes but you and I both know no game is ever going to include the exhaustive list of classes available in all of the guide books at launch. Not gonna happen.

It takes place in one city which is odd, but so do the start of many campaigns. Maybe that will grow with time. I think this is a game of potential, the foundry has potential the mechanics are there for more classes.

The 200 dollar pre buy seems to me a bit crazy...but whatever people want to throw money away on I guess.

There are plenty of worst games that had D&D slapped on them.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

Then that speaks volumes, its obviously not even AAA and they know it

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Call me crazy, but if a game's fun, it's fun.  I disagree with the OP's outright dislike for a game he may not have played yet, but he's right about a couple things.

Neverwinter is fun, but it DOES need more classes, and more D&D-like functions.  But it's definitely enjoyable to play, that I can attest to after last night.    There were quests I played off-stream that had traps to disarm, but why weren't they in the group-centric dungeon?

The classes and races selection are definitely the weak spot for me, but so far, it's looking good. IF you can get past that it's not going to be the PnP game in MMO form, as no one ever said it was.

This is my chance to call you crazy. :)

The world feels vey confined to me, much like DDO felt confined. The combat feels restricted too. The game gives me a claustrophobic feeling. It is not my kind of game for sure. I prefer my mmorpg's to be wide open worlds.

It takes one to know one.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Fighter. Wizard. Rogue. Ranger. Cleric

- seems reasonable for launch

when D&D launched in 1974 as "Men and Magic" it had 3 classes -- fighting man, magic user, cleric

Greyhawk in 1975 added 2 clasees, Paladin and Thief

the D&D of today has dozens of classes

as others have posted, more classes will get added to NWN over time

Originally posted by Astraeis

The world feels vey confined to me, much like DDO felt confined. The combat feels restricted too. The game gives me a claustrophobic feeling. It is not my kind of game for sure. I prefer my mmorpg's to be wide open worlds.

Yeah, that's something you're either going to hate or be indifferent about here.  It definitely doesn't have a "big world" feel.  It is after all about Neverwinter and rebuilding the city mainly.  There are "open" adventure areas, but the crux of the game seems to be in the city.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    There was also an article recently where they were saying they would like to add other FR locations in like Waterdeep in the future.  Pretty excited to check it out myself.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

Originally posted by steelheartx
    There was also an article recently where they were saying they would like to add other FR locations in like Waterdeep in the future.  Pretty excited to check it out myself.

Yeah, given that you can be from Amn, etc, I'd hope so.

Look folks: no one here is calling this game the best game EVAR, but those of us here who've played it enjoyed it so far.  And we're trying to give you as much info about it as possible, mixed with opinions of both the positive and negative. 

My Review Manifesto

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

If you are looking for a lobby MMO which is heavily instanced and combat is faster paced like Guild Wars 2 and you can log on and complete a dungeon in an hour or less then you will probably like this game.  I am not sure why you will stop plaing Guild Wars 2, or LOTRO, or TERA, or EQ2, or WOW, or one of the other 300 MMOs that are basically the same as this game.

If you are looking for an actual world, some type of meaningful PVP, crafter based economy with the aility to shape and modifiy the world all taking place in the Forgotten Realms....well, dont bother with this game.  There is no game like that.

When this game was announced, and looking at both companies involved (Cryptic and PWE) most people assumed it was going to be a WOW clone or a GW2 clone.  Those people are right.

So if you like rinky dink little games, here, have yet another one.  I don't think TESO will be all that different, though EQ Next might be.  So there may be one MMO out of the 300 WOWO clones that might be worth waiting for.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Astraeis

Yeah, that's something you're either going to hate or be indifferent about here.  It definitely doesn't have a "big world" feel.  It is after all about Neverwinter and rebuilding the city mainly.  There are "open" adventure areas, but the crux of the game seems to be in the city.

What I am wondering is whether this is a choice made to remain close to a PnP kind of feeling. It might be and some might just love that aspect of the game. However, eventhough it is not my kind of game I do disagree with the title of this thread.

Oh, and as has been suggested, it is far from a WoW clone. It does not feel like that in any way.

It takes one to know one.

• IrachtusIrachtus Member UncommonPosts: 18
    past experience taught me to wait and see and cryptic made STO a fun game for casual pve.  I don't know what the future holds lets just wait and see. If it blows up in our face then the OP was right which i doubt. the only thing i hope it won't have is the dnd 4th edition rules and that they stick to 3.5 dnd rules.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Dragon Nest anyone?

Joined - July 2004

• TheOtterTheOtter Member UncommonPosts: 46

I've yet to play but from all the streams I've seen, it looks like a good bit of fun. I'm not hyped or anything (I never am until I play a game for long enough to get a solid grasp on it) but I liked the way it looked and played. It does seem the game revolves around the city of Neverwinter (how strange!) but I believe I heard the Zeke guy say they had more open zones. Non-press will get to play it soon enough, it is childish to pass judgement on any game before trying it.

It is launching F2P because thats what the market seems to want right now. So many games are going F2P, if I was Cryptic I would have skipped subs all together. The foundry thing may be fun (I used the one in CoH a bunch but haven't tried their STO variant), if it's good I can see myself using it for a good while.