Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: The Jewel of the North Shines

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We dove deep into the nooks and crannies of Neverwinter yesterday, and tried out three of the game's five classes in the process. We've got lots to talk about starting with a general overview of what we think of Neverwinter. See what our thoughts are before joining the conversation in the comments.

If you’re like me, you’ll want to grab one of those pre-fabricated characters and then set into customizing to your heart’s content. The Neverwinter character customization feature is quite simply the most robust that I have ever seen in any MMO. Cryptic has included such little-seen choices including hand size, finger/arm length, heels/no heels, neck length and much, much more. I could have spent an hour getting my half-elf precisely to my liking but in the interest of time and wanting to be sure that I was ready when the tour began, I forewent much of the astonishing variety of options.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: The Jewel of the North Shines.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

I loved your article. Cant wait for my chance to see Neverwinter.

However, Bills "article" seems to be missing something...oh yes, an article.  Guessing his just wasnt ready yet.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Looking forward to this game more and more.  Thanks for the information.  My only concern is that Cryptic keeps their promise on the no P2W.  If they can copy a page out of GW2's, PS2 and tera's moentization and not SWTOR's the nthe game has great potential.  Its fairly obvious the connectivity issues you all faced will be fixed before launch so that isn't even an issue for me at this time.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Ha!  It was linked a little early.  I'll enable it now.  :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SBFord

We dove deep into the nooks and crannies of Neverwinter yesterday, and tried out three of the game's five classes in the process. We've got lots to talk about starting with a general overview of what we think of Neverwinter. See what our thoughts are before joining the conversation in the comments.

If you’re like me, you’ll want to grab one of those pre-fabricated characters and then set into customizing to your heart’s content. The Neverwinter character customization feature is quite simply the most robust that I have ever seen in any MMO. Cryptic has included such little-seen choices including hand size, finger/arm length, heels/no heels, neck length and much, much more. I could have spent an hour getting my half-elf precisely to my liking but in the interest of time and wanting to be sure that I was ready when the tour began, I forewent much of the astonishing variety of options.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: The Jewel of the North Shines.

Ohh Suzie or Bill one question concerning Character Customization.  According to some people I know who played RaiderZ (same parent company afterall) their character Customization was just as robust but at release they heavily restricted this to the F2P crowd.  Any indication this will follow the same sitiuation as RaiderZ?

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Nope, no indication of this, and Zeke mentioned that while we'll know more about monetization soon (perhaps even right here on this site, hint hint).  I'd not be surprised if special visual flare stuff was in the shop later on though.  That said, you'll get some killer looking armor and weapons by level 16 if our tour is any indication.  But for basic character looks, it seems wide open right from the start.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Problem right there Suzie, you used a D3 headset and from my experiences, anything D3, or blizzard lately for that matter <.<, is garbage. J/K and no offence to the millions of fans :)

I enjoyed the footage and watched the whole thing. I thought the game looked fun and made a nice list of features I liked on my guilds website. It was a good read and keep the information coming it is much appreciated.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

customization is great and I'm glad that the character creation has so many options but personally trade custom hand size etc for more major choices-  there are far more than six races and 3 classes wandering the realms.

I've read all the most recent books based in neverwinter and it makes sense in the setting that there would be a lot going on just within the town, but the description of instancing in town sounds painfully similar to DDO.  Is that a fair comparision or am I wrong?  Also loved how you respectfully disagree with our nonsense, I get it, but I did laugh at that.  I'll just say that for me, the heavily instanced games can lose the 'feel' I want from MMOs, wether they technically meet the definition or not doesn't matter.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Nope, no indication of this, and Zeke mentioned that while we'll know more about monetization soon (perhaps even right here on this site, hint hint).  I'd not be surprised if special visual flare stuff was in the shop later on though.  That said, you'll get some killer looking armor and weapons by level 16 if our tour is any indication.  But for basic character looks, it seems wide open right from the start.

I'd expect it to be similar to CO when it comes to monetisation and customisation. A robust character customisation system for everyone with flavor packs in the shop later on, perhaps even unique races.

The basics should be more than enough to satisfy everyone coming from a non-Cryptic MMO to Neverwinter :)

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

It sounds a lot like the other Cryptic games to me. Heavily instanced like , STO or DDO.

I personally didn't hate those games, but I would hardly call any of the Cryptic games ever " THE game to play" of any year they came out.

Hopefully I can and will be pleasantly suprised... but..  well...

Remember you can't spell Cryptic without Cry.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Well cryptic wasn't one to hold back on character customization so I don't see why they would scale it back come release time.. RaiderZ afterall isn't made by cryptic even though they are under one company.. I think to get a good gauge where neverwinter is going, STO would be a good game to look at... they will restrict as in daily caps and some other stuff..

Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.. I'll be snowed in so what better thing to do than kill time in neverwinter..
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Bill, when you mention the 'great looking armour' does that mean it will be the same armour for each class so everyone looks the same, or will we be able to customize it?.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Good Article, and good looking game.

A bit off topic, but I don't like Steelseries.  I got a WoW mouse when they first came out, and I loved it.  However, after about a year and half, the thing just stopped working.  Luckily, I kept my Logitech MX510 mouse from years and years ago.  That thing still works, but I switched to a Razer Naga.

Edit: My Logitech MX510 still works, and I've had it since WoW launched...it's a never fail option when all else fails hehe.
  • Valgar1Valgar1 Member UncommonPosts: 324

Great read Suzie!

I watched the 2 hour live stream yesterday and was LMAO as Bill is trying to tell Suzie not to go touch somthing and she is off getting killed . We all have had that party member!!

Very excited for this game.

Originally posted by sibs4455
    Bill, when you mention the 'great looking armour' does that mean it will be the same armour for each class so everyone looks the same, or will we be able to customize it?.

Lots of different types, for different classes, and the ability to trasnmute and change the look of an item to keep its stats if you like a different look.

My Review Manifesto

• jadiusmaxjadiusmax Member UncommonPosts: 31

"Heavily Instanced..." /sigh

So...I was very excited about the gaming and willing to give it a shot.  But now its officially obvious it's another instance game.  If you call the people saying mmo's need to NOT be heavily instanced 'nonsense' i simply suggest you remember back to whatever your first open world gaming experience was.  For me it was WOW and though i've thankfully moved on from that game I still remember fondly the first time as an elf i arrived to the first little village and marveled (and freaked a little bit) as walking up behind me was the giant treants. 

Discovering towns and small cities as you went, feeling like you were a part of a living world.  This is the experience that an MMO brings above all else.  It's i think what made wow so popular.  And not doing that is most definately the reason so many mmo's fail. 

I know even you believe this to be true.  You said it yourself in your own post, that you loved how the city of Neverwinter felt alive.  The people moved around and live out their lives and you move through that.  Would you rather every shop in the city you enter be an instance portal to the actual shop interior?  I'd doubt it.  You want to feel like that shop owner is there, working away the day and you can interact with him/her/it as you go. 

To me, as polished as it is..this game is just another missed opprotunity.  Give me a true d&d game with 3.0-3.5 'feeling' system, a fairly open FORGOTTEN REALMS, (not one forgotten realms city) world where i can set off to icewind dale (or where ever) if i wish, and i would GLADLY give a sub fee and box fee to play.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Instancing.  I hate it, but if you look at City of Heroes, it had a hybrid model.  While there were several large zones, most actual gameplay past level 10 (and before later expansions, most of 1-10 was done instanced as well) was in instances.   You could theoretically XP outdoors, but people simply chose not to.  It lacked controlled environment of a mission, rewards were less, etc.  In a mission you kept moving.  People simply preferred that.

Despite this, the game flourished.  Part of that is due to the commitment of the devs to keep adding stuff to the game.  However, it did show that such a model could 'work'.  Yes, it's shut down now, but even at it's closing it had more players than many mmos that are in a zombie state.

So this could work, it just depends on how fun it is, and if a community develops like an MMO community, or more like an action rpg community.  One thing working against it is being F2P and possible lack of gameplay outside of combat.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm really starting to think open world content is highly overrated.

I've been trying to do some MMO soul searching - going back over a decade to my earliest days in Ultima Online and then go through the list, my own personal history, from UO to E&B to SWG to WoW and everything else in between and after - WAR, TR, EvE, FFXI, EQ2, AoC, EQ, RIFT, GW, GW2, STO, TSW, TERA, PS2, VG...

The most fun I have ever had playing in this genre has been in small and medium sized group content, PvE and/or PvP, the vast majority of those experiences being in instances. Dungeons, raids, small-group open world events/encounters, battlegrounds, arena-style combat...

Then I try and think about the least fun and most tedius/terrible of my MMO experiences, and most of them involve solo play, and open world play. Waiting for spawns, fighting for spawns, being griefed/ganked, fighting for resource tags, grinding mobs, grinding quests, zerging from A to B, camping...

So if that's true - then why am I not happy with today's MMO genre?

The real answer I've discovered is community.

Most all the friends I played with a moved from game to game and such don't play anymore or I've lost contact with.

Modern MMOs don't encourage forming bonds and having to rely on each other.

Modern MMOs have too much solo content - it's hard for me to even have the patience to grind through it to get to the party play.

Modern MMOs have far too much reliance on seperating players too. No you can't run that instance with us, you are too high/low.

Maybe NW is going to solve some of these problems for me... hmmm.... tempting.

Except for the damn Companions. I hate companions/pets.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Sorry Spock, bad juxtaposition there,

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Sorry Spock, bad juxtaposition there,

Guess I was more responding to adam_nox as well as providing an analysis as to why NW as a heavily instances, party and trinity based game with player created content could actually work out well.

I agree with him that it's all about what kind of community forms.

Enough really solid DMs pumping out great Foundry content on a regular basis, could be massively awesome.

I will probably pick a copy of this game up just to see that aspect of it.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395
    " Instead, all combat takes on a much more "shooter-like" approach, that folks who have played TERA might be familiar and comfortable with. " The only thing I needed to Know! Good news! :)
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

I will keep an eye on this title, BUT I am not overly excited for it as I was when it was first announced. The implementing of a vanity type pet system is not D&D to me. An overly instanced D&D game is more of the same D&D online. AND I haven't seen much mention about the more important part of a D&D game character creation and that is the stat and alignment choices. I really (as a D&D player) could care less about how my hands and fingers look as much as my stat points and my alignment. Also D&D to me is all about choices. Choices that affect my alignment. Choices that affect my gameplay outcome and story.

This is looking more like fluff and stuff gaming than a true D&D gaming. I hope as beta continues there is more mention and inclusion of actual D&D play than run of the mill MMO play.

I watch in hopeful anticipation.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

"You must gather your party before venturing forth" - Yeah, I'll let this game be instanced and get away with it :)

I wish there were more classes to begin with, but it's more important that the game is just fun, we've had enough games that have all kinds of things but yet fails at being fun.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Allow me to expose myself.

The point is this.

There are a vast number of MMOs that pretty much play the same way.  This game sounds like an instanced version of Guild Wars 2.  That would not be a bad thing, if there was no Guild Wars 2. 

There are way, way too many of these games.  EQ2, GW2, LOTRO, WOW, SWTOR, Neverwinter, TESO.....they are all the same game just reskinned. 

If you could take this game, get in your time machine, and bring it out in 2005....you would have a great game and a critical hit and all that.  But now where EVERY game basically plays like this, it's rubbish.

The number of people playing this genre of games has not increased....but the number of games sure has.  Instead of picking between 4 or 5 games you now get to pick from 40 or 50 of them...and they all.....play....the.....same....way.

Anyways, nothing to see here with this game.  They are obviously not trying to make a great game, just another clone and hope to grab what little money they can.  Even TESO is going to be like this game.

The only game that can put this genre back on the right path in terms of creativity is EQ Next.  That is a scary thing to say seeing as it was that same company that derailed the genre when they decided to mess with SWG and EQ2.

For people who want a compelling game with deep systems that take places in a game world that you can modify, there is very little hope left.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Thank Bill, cleric is my choice class and I was really looking forward to reading your post at 5am alaska time, lol.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Cryptic World Entertainment needs to release this game already D: 

Was going to buy the $20 pack but it doesnt have beta access. Not a fan of buying betas for $60 bucks (unless they throw in the spider mount or even drizzt  as a limited time beta special). Not gonna judge the $200 pack obviously because thats made for a specific audience and im not included.

Release the game, NOW!............ puhleeeeeeeease? image