Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character transfers - anything new ?

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

hey ^^

the character transfers are still not available in my account page and i cannot post in the gameforums due to missing sub, so let me ask here, is there anything new to the character transfer service, that was promised a year ago ?

cheers ^^

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

When PTS will go online you will be able to copy character to PTS from your account.  This feature is already in place.

Most likely it's going to be a first step on the road to introduce character transfer. There is no official confirmation about it though. Just speculations.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Character transfers are a puzzling topic.

I'm in the dark why EA didn't just hire someone to manually do each copy request as they came.  Even if EA payed them $30 bucks an hour to manually move each character, they still would have made a profit.  Not to mention all the customer satisfaction they would have gotten, which is worth far more in the long run.

Even if a transfer operator just copied characters using floppy disks, that would still be far better than offering no transfer service at all.  Even if the operator had to format the data on the new server manually, it still would have been beneficial at $10-$15 per transfer.

Not as a permanent solution, but temporary, until an automated system was up and running.  Surely one of the people that EA fired last year was good with computers, and knew (or could learn) SQL, or whatever infrastructure they use to store character information.  Character info could even be stored in a generic file per character .. someone could have learned how to do manual transfers while EA got their early released game functional.

EA just seems to lack the ability to see long term goals and profits.  This is just one example, there are many more.

OP:  I guess you have to wait some more.

edit - typos

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

yeah, one can only wonder, what that the managers decide ...

so, nothing new, thanks tho ^^

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Karteli, if you assume it takes about 10 minutes to manually transfer a players charcter and gear; It would take a trained staff 12  business days to transfer 10,000 charcters.

When SWTOR had 500,000 + people clamoring for transfers, it is just logistically impossible to meet the demand, no matter how fiscally attractive without a high degree of automation.

When WoW began transfers, there wasn't much demand for it. SWTOR on the other hand, a different story.

They were able to do the merges because it was just every charcter on the server whosale dumped onto another.

I'm not sure how they did the APAC transfers, nor why the process can't be better automated, but manual transfer is not a viable option.

Caveat - I would think.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Karteli, if you assume it takes about 10 minutes to manually transfer a players charcter and gear; It would take a trained staff 12  business days to transfer 10,000 charcters.

When SWTOR had 500,000 + people clamoring for transfers, it is just logistically impossible to meet the demand, no matter how fiscally attractive without a high degree of automation.

When WoW began transfers, there wasn't much demand for it. SWTOR on the other hand, a different story.

They were able to do the merges because it was just every charcter on the server whosale dumped onto another.

I'm not sure how they did the APAC transfers, nor why the process can't be better automated, but manual transfer is not a viable option.

Caveat - I would think.

Sure, a backorder might exist.  But that would only give indication to EA that this is where their personell's time should be spent instead of firing them.

Retraining their people into new jobs would have been beneficial is all I was saying.  On the long term, getting an automated service to transfer characters would have been also beneficial, for players and EA.  But you have to make do with demands as they arise, not ignore them.

And there is still not an automated service in place.  In was only because of bad press (really over the past 1/2 year majorly, lesser before that) that even the PTR is starting to get transfers.  Prior to PTR transfers, nobody would play the PTR except select SWTOR "guilds", who were trophied by EA, but never revealed and they live in their anonymity (and bugs would go live every patch).  I'd say they never existed, but that's just me.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

What sort of character transfer are you asking about? Paid?

Because the automatic transfers already happened months ago.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

It was never promised , but I'm sure it will happen , more money from the cash shop keeps the game rolling on.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Most servers got merged so there's more people online anyway.

However if your looking to move to a specific server, no that's not avaliable yet.

Will it be avaliable at some point, who knows? It took them three months to sort out the HK-51 no gear bug so don't hold your breath..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Most servers got merged so there's more people online anyway.

However if your looking to move to a specific server, no that's not avaliable yet.

Will it be avaliable at some point, who knows? It took them three months to sort out the HK-51 no gear bug so don't hold your breath..

Pretty sure they've said that they want to provide paid tranfers, but yeah... "when" is the big question.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I'm surprised they haven't added them yet. It'd easily make them some $$$. They're just getting live characters to PTS working, so maybe that means they're making progress on paid transfers.