Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which game(s) have ex-Wow players moved to?

Comments

• Cypt1Cypt1 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I'm playing offline games right now. Skyrim, New Vegas, and X3: Terran Conflict to be specific.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294

Rift and GW2. Although now that Tera has no monthly fee anymore, I may giver that a shit again for a while.

Tried going back to WoW 3-4 months ago. Paid the $15, logged in, after about 20 minutes I was pissed I wasted $15 and haven't logged in since. The game is so ridiculously boring and stupid anymore it isn't even funny.

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by JaesinPope
    I'm quite the opposite. I tend to end up back playing Asheron's Call. Most people would look at it for a while or try to play it and quit. But, it was my first MMO ever.. kind of hard to replace it in my eyes. More then likely the only skill based PvP I've ever have been involved in. The plus of it, it's all world PvP.. and yes.. quite a few people still play on the Darktide server (which isn't for the feignt of hearts.). But, it's looking like Elder Scrolls is shaping up to be the next try hard MMO, that'll probably throw salt and vinegar on it's name. But, I'm excited to see how it turns out, and that's probably the only MMO I care to wait for.

This.

Even though the graphics are dated, it's still one of the best MMOs ever made.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I stopped playing WoW in March of 2010 (about a half year before Cata's release).  I resubscribed for 1 month post-Cata launch and didn't even play for the full month.  

The only MMO I've really played since then has been GW2.  I played a very little bit of Rift and Aion, but nothing extensive.  I still play other games with all my old WoW friends almost daily, however.  Different games with different people, but mostly various co-op games on Steam, LoL, Dota 2 and Planetside 2.  

Come to think of it, I guess Planetside 2 sort of counts as an MMO, although I've never thought of it as one.  Really, it just feels like the internet is my MMO nowadays.  I'm constantly logged into Steam or LoL and can chat with everyone on those friend lists about games.  I look for members for a game (like one would for a dungeon) or someone asks me to play something, and we set off on our adventure.  The whole world of online games is so connected now.  

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

My guess would be mainly GW2, Rift, SWTOR and LotRO in no particular order.

Personally, if your not talking about a progress guild or PvP happy-go-luckies i personally would pick either Rift or LotRO with the latter holding more long term casual appeal imho(though i couldn't put my finger on why that is, maybe just the ambiance). Its exactly the kind of game you log into after a long day of work without ever intending to actually progress in content or somesuch. Rift, despite its late housing system, is more of a do-something-productive kind of game with all the events and rifts and incursions and whatever.

Also some people surely went with SWToR, which mechanic wise feels closest to BC-era WoW of the four imho. 

GW2 feels nothing like WoW to me, but its a pretty decent game in itself i guess. But it wouldn't be my choice for a ex WoW guild, due to its different playstyle you would certainly rip up the guild somewhat fierce, GW2 is pretty polarising imho.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

If something decent doesn't get released soon we will see a large MMO hiatus. The genre has been stupefied by greedy themepark developers and instant gratification fanboy culture.

Move to consoles, if nothing else then as a protest.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

If something decent doesn't get released soon we will see a large MMO hiatus. The genre has been stupefied by greedy themepark developers and instant gratification fanboy culture.

Move to consoles, if nothing else then as a protest.

I dont belive that is all true. What has changed is us bitter mmo vets :) 

I can see older friends kids that jumps into wow with the same joy I had in 2005. The game is the same but I as player has changed a lot. 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Earthenware

Does anyone know which game the other ex-Wow players have gone to?

All over the place. WOW was one of the best things to happen to MMOs in that regard. It brought in millions of new players, many of which have migrated out to the other MMOs to see what else the platform offers.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    As I never much cared for raiding (I tanked and dps'd them semi-regularly) other than just seeing the big enemy of the expansion's namesake, but was more into the combat and collection aspects of MMOs, I moved from game to game and finally settled on GW2.  I'm always on the lookout for a new addictive trinity-based game, but in the meantime I'm very happy with my current little gaming nook.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Game called: Real life. You cant level up because you are already maxed out (from a perspective of a soul). So infinite endgame with loads of new content every day!

Still playing MMOs? Oh dear...

Learn meditation and astral travel into countless other dimensions. Who needs games. So... 2012

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    As others have said, tried the new games, but eventually return to WoW. It's nice to take a break now and then to see what else is out there.
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Game called: Real life. You cant level up because you are already maxed out (from a perspective of a soul). So infinite endgame with loads of new content every day!

Learn meditation and astral travel into countless other dimensions. Who needs games. So... 2012

Lol at the noob. Real life is about grinding, there is no end. First its about grinding good grades while creating a good friend list, then grinding money to buy nice loot. And then grind some moah to decorate that  nice house  and its silly  house system. And then there is some more money grind for that nice mount. And then some more money grind for savings.... and so on. Oh and dont forget to explore a map and do some fun stuff recored with frap...instagram

Edit: sorry for the noob thingy. it was meant to be light hearted.  

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

THIS ex WoW player hasn't went back to WoW, and I don't really intend to.

I didn't like (A LOT OF) decisions made by Ghostcrawler and the dev teams in the aftermath of Cataclysm, so I quit the game after a long, rocky romance with the game, 6.5 years, I started in May 05, about 6ish months after launch -- I played EQ1 for 4+ years and quit that game, started playing Star Wars Galaxies and the geniuses at SOE decided to unleash the infamous Combat Upgrade on their otherwise happy players and people left that game in droves. I needed a new game but didn't really want another elf/dwarf game but at the time it was EQ2 or WoW and I was REALLY mad at SOE for what they did to SWG, so the choice was kind of obvious.

After I left WoW, I continued my love/hate relationship with Star Trek Online (that ended badly just this past November during their mini-Combat Upgrade Season  7 patch). I also spent a bit of time with World of Tanks, which isn't really an MMO, it's more like a Warsong Gulch with large metal machines, but I ultimately lost interest in that game.

I made the mistake of getting swept up in the hype of Star Wars: the Old Republic, and I"m *NOT* a Star Wars fan and never was. I played SWG because it was an awesome sandbox, not because I wanted to run around and swing a light saber. I hoped TOR would be at least a little bit like SWG and was sorely disappointed. It was in fact just a really misguided, bad game and I left that after 3 months.

I played Tera for a few months and was underwhelmed. I knew that was probably a mistake because after over TEN years of fantasy MMOs (4+ years at EQ1, 6.5 years at WoW) I should  have avoided another fantasy game like the plague. Oh, and those creepy little anime girls with bunny ears and rabit tails kind of disgusted me (or thinking about all the pervs who gravitated to that race -- hello, I"m Chris Hanson, want to have a seat there for a minute?).

Re: Fantansy games -- I purposely avoided Guild Wars 2. It looked like Tera on steroids and I just couldn't deal with another fantasy game, especially another fantasy game imported from Asia. It may be the best-us game EVAH but I'll pass.

So, I ended up playing The Secret World and I'm really liking it. It's a refreshing change from a decade of elves, dwarfs and dragons. I was always a huge fan of HP Lovecraft and enjoyed the X-Files, so a game set in the modern world with creepy horror fiction based story lines and conspiracy theories was very refreshing. And, you can tell by the game design decisions, these devs were doing everything they could to distance themself from a run-of-the-mill MMO (no levels, or at least they bury the "leveling" beneath layers of gear upgrading and ability wheels where it doesn't get in the way. It can be grindy later on, but what MMO isn't?).

Now, if Secret World can take care of thebusiness end of things (layoffs, restructures, consolidating their offices under one roof) and go back to developing some great, creepy content, I think I'll hang around for a while.

And, after over a year of detoxing from World of Warcraft, I have no desire to go back. Ghostcrawler and the pandas better not hold their breath.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Nah, that's just another WoW clone

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

When does the end game get fun?  I seem to be just grinding dailies  

my guess for the OP is. Hello Kitty Online. :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• XunejoXunejo Member UncommonPosts: 22

I've been playing TERA and League of Legends. Playing TERA mostly solo, but LoL with friends. TERA has a really WoW-ish feeling for me, so it feels great.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Malacth

They either float between MMO's never really sticking at anything for long or go back to WoW, most do the latter. 

WoW might not be as great as it once was, but it's still head and shoulders above most MMO's available right now.

Enough of my former WoW guild returned to sport a solid 10 man guild but most are fiddling around in games like GW2 or other gnres from what I hear.  Sadly the days of EQ/WoW style guild structures are at an all time low.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Malacth

They either float between MMO's never really sticking at anything for long or go back to WoW, most do the latter. 

WoW might not be as great as it once was, but it's still head and shoulders above most MMO's available right now.

Enough of my former WoW guild returned to sport a solid 10 man guild but most are fiddling around in games like GW2 or other gnres from what I hear.  Sadly the days of EQ/WoW style guild structures are at an all time low.

All time low for sure.  But then again there is a neat solution to that issue. Mmo communities smaller than the one here at mmorpg.com

Im in a small gaming community that are playing around 5 mmos atm. Its quite nice to just log into our skype and listen to the chatter there :)

• wisienkaswisienkas Member UncommonPosts: 6

Mainly moved on to the MOBA genre, playing all of the three current very popular MOBA's: HoN, LoL and DotA 2. 

From time to time i'll be playing rift, just trying out salem, don't starve and that survival genre for the time being. 

MMO has seemed kinda boring for the last few years and most of the games are all the same. 

Been playing quite some Dwarf Fortress as well which seems to be the best game ever made in matter of complexity. 

• EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52

As someone who has been playing MMO's since WoW was in beta, I find that the WoW craving is usually a 'themepark' craving: I want something that is easy and accessible, and can get me into somehting quickly and fairly immersively. WoW is de facto in this case because it excels at providing lots of 'Stuff' to do for any character as soon as you log in. 

On that note, I have made the switch to TSW for my themepark desires, and I couldn't be happier about the change. With the Pandaria exapnsion, I felt like WoW had actually become to overrun with random crap to do, just to keep people engaged. TSW  is the ultimate themepark experience, with a dash of freeform character direction. For sheer questing and immersiveness, it can't be beat for my money. I play a few other online games, but as far as MMORPG's go, The Secret World is def one of the best I've come across so far. I don't even wonder what's going on in Azeroth anymore; I'm far too concerned with the next chapter in the rising darkness...

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    League of Legends
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    I tell you were they are , they grown adult and are playing now with woman and money making instead of time wasting mmos.
  • ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

1) Find the most recent game that's opened.

2) Inspect the forums.

3) They'll be there, asking the devs of [Newgame] why they can't make it Just Like WoW.

4) One week later: Nothing to do in this game at the cap. wtf?

5) One month later, goto step 1.

(This cycle is occaisionally interrupted by a new Blizzard expansion. [5a) Gosub Expansion] Otherwise, it's held consistent for nine years.)

Sadly this is true, apart from the fact that if you could get to cap of Aion in one week I have to give you some serious props.  The problem is that alot of ex-WoW players are refusing to play anything that is not just like WoW.  This causes most games made to be as much like WoW as possible and ofcoure trying to imitate something generaly produces a half ass product. 

It really will follow the system above until people really do reward a game for being different and don't just bitch about how in WoW this would have worked like this and that would have worked like that.  In the pre-WoW era gamers had a much more open mind to new games than they do now.

Hopefuly it looks like this new sandbox crazy that is striking this year might finaly break us out of the cycle but best not to get our hopes up.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by WillyMMORPG

Re: Fantansy games -- I purposely avoided Guild Wars 2. It looked like Tera on steroids and I just couldn't deal with another fantasy game, especially another fantasy game imported from Asia.

You apparently also avoided any information about Guild Wars 2.  The game isn't even a little bit Asian.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Mari2k
    I tell you were they are , they grown adult and are playing now with woman and money making instead of time wasting mmos.

Alot of them were grown adults to begin with.  This is a very shallow view of gaming You can still game while having a normal life and making a good deal of money.