Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Camelot Unchained: A New Beginning

13»

Comments

• ShiotcrockShiotcrock Member Posts: 87

The gameplay monsters character and sounds is what made DAOC special to me...

Plus the addiction =)

• xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44

This "Guy" learnd something?

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Please shut up and take my money
  • noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

Very excited to spend some money supporting this :)

i hope all the lessons of what was both good and bad in both DAoC and WAR is attended to. Despite all the froth at WAR's failures, there were a lot of improvements on DAoC.

however to capture the "magic" of CAMELOT, well good luck and don't balls it up mate!

• smellyfeetsmellyfeet Member Posts: 4
    Couple of things WAR did right that I have wished DAoC would have adopted:  Public Quest was a great idea.  RIFT has used it effectively and should be considered for CU.  All classes were able to engage in ground combat, as a long time DAoC Midgard Healer, I can only hope that CU allows all classes to mix it up in hand to hand combat.  DAoC Midgard healers had no offensive damage spells, they should have been able to swing a mean hammer/staff to keep the wounded enemy on it's toes if not running away.   Instead, they are an easy kill once their instant heals runs out. 
  • TaldrenTaldren Member Posts: 4

I just hope that your new company will be more open to your beta testers then they have been in the past, Mark. I was a beta tester and a TL in Dark Age and a beta tester and Core Tester in Warhammer and most of our feedback (especially on ToA and the release condition of WAR) was largely ignored. I can't even count the number of arguements I got into with Mackey over ToA ... everything was a fundamental design and not open to discussion.

I wish I had been the TL program when LotM came out ... that was actually one of my favorite expansions of any MMO ... even better than SI. I was pretty sure at that point that you had learned your lessons ... but then WAR testing began.

Actually, it would be more fair to say WAR testing winded down ... because in the beginning it was the norm for a beta test. However, once the deadline was set it was total chaos ... much more so than WOW, RIFT, GW2 closed beta/alpha were. All input was competely shot down ... it was "test this and shut up" all the time. It became worse when the list of items being cut from the game to make the deadline was announced. Every tester was in a state of shock at that point as we realized that the game we thought we were testing was never actually going to make it live.

The feedback ... or attempted feedback at that point should have been a clear indicator of what was going to happen if you released the game.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

While i had high hopes i feel much of them are dashed with this release. Something i warned my friends about.

The simple truth is this seems to appear to be a shadowbane meets daoc idea w/ limited pve or easy leveling pve (if any at all). In this case ill probably pass. DAoc's pve worked, its what i have been laregly missing in recent mmos.... and i hardly have any hope that MJ would get rvr right.

Rvr keeps in daoc: ladders or ramps? Everyone should ask this question to see if mark jacobs even understands WHY daoc keep warfare worked (NF). A minor aspect but exhibits alot.

A modern daoc with its orginal pve (maybe less exp required, or better equipment [it was hard to get off the bat] to more easily exp.) would be wonderful. There are pleanty of games out there with rvr , albeit weaker rvr than daocs but not by a ton, what they often lack is a good pve side, a good socail side (built by the REQUIRED cooprative nature of pve), and more things to do than pvp (Other than an one party instanced dungeons). DAocs pve had this and provided all of this, now i see mark jacobs stating he going to make a game with daoc's rvr without the things that made daocs rvr valuable... My response /cheer - inc. faliure.

Sure this is a cynical view, but with good reason. There was a game named war and not all of its bad decisions were made by EA. EArth to mark jacobs.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by smellyfeet
    Couple of things WAR did right that I have wished DAoC would have adopted:  Public Quest was a great idea.  RIFT has used it effectively and should be considered for CU.  All classes were able to engage in ground combat, as a long time DAoC Midgard Healer, I can only hope that CU allows all classes to mix it up in hand to hand combat.  DAoC Midgard healers had no offensive damage spells, they should have been able to swing a mean hammer/staff to keep the wounded enemy on it's toes if not running away.   Instead, they are an easy kill once their instant heals runs out. 

Thus the beauty of DAoc requiring people .. ie healers to group wityh someone with a "big stick" made them need that person ... likewise people with big sticks and no heals required those heals. This created group play . group play makes communities with ignites realm pride. This is WHAT  has been missing in the 10s of mmo rpgs with side v side pvp for a decade. Beside the healer could solo enhance spec (it wasn't good, but it was doable, but then agian few classes had good solo in daoc).

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

Oh my... I cant read it anymore: Redesign, rebirth, revamp, relaunch...

What Virus infected the human brain not being able to create Novelty anymore??

Is it SO hard to come up with genuine ideas these days??

Or is the game industry really so hardwired and tripping constantly over their contracts with bigoted publishers that do NOT UNDERSTAND A SINGLE BIT of art and design??

I could vomit left and right... such a bad bad time being a video gamer.

And whose fault is it? 80% of you people reading this, because you can NOT stop buying those god damn warmed up franchise-cr@p being released!!!

God damn hold back your wallet now and FORCE QUALITY to happen again OVER QUANTITY.

Motherhoppin brainless consumers.

I thought it was cute that you have a GW2 thief logo in your signature, signifying that you yourself play one of these sequels.

Shine on...

MUNDO!!

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    I would love to see an updated DAoC or a DAoC2 so I wish you well in your endeavors. I have many, many good memories of my time in DAoC. It was one of the most amazing MMORPGs I have ever played. If you can bring something as good back into the industry, I will be there playing from release.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• NiokNiok Member Posts: 3
    I for one am excited and could careless about what has happened in the past. Thank you Mark for this, and everyone working with you. More then willing to donate as much as I can, if thats what it takes.
  • MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Please Mr. Jacobs. Abdictate ingame tools that take social interactions like finding groups from the players. The way to make everything always easier is the wrong one. It begins when EQ2 strips down the crafting system by taking away  the need to work together as crafter. And ends now with a raid finder tool which buffs raid groups in case of a wipe in WOW. Do not implement any of such simplifications. IMO a strong realmpride depends on tight relations between its people.

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• AragrinAragrin Member Posts: 5
    I have beeen playing DAOC since just AFTER TOA was released. I have left the game twice for other games as the pathing is still broken! The LOS issues persist and the OP of certain classes still pervades the game. Sigh, yes I am still playing DAOC now as it 's 3 realm PVP is still the best out there. I am hoping that Mr. Jacobs had taken all these things into consideration in developing his new game. It looks very exciting to me. One thing I would absolutely beg for is not to make the graphics too "cartoony" That is one thing I do like about DAOC is that the graphics of the characters is not so Anime. Good luck Mr. Jacobs i anxiously await  Camelot Unchained. As far as the poster who stated that the theme was just rehash, did he ever stop to think that some players such as myslef actually like that period as a backdrop for our game? I do not play FPS and do not like "guns" in my game. To those of you who are gonna tear this piece of blog apart, I am a "just over" middle aged Grandma who has been playing games on computer since the Vic Commodore 64! Just remember in PVP battles Grandmas can kill you ! LOL
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

I have yet to give a single dime to any kickstarter...

This WILL be my first, and last.

Thank you Mark and looking forward to hearing more about CU :)

• julienkagejulienkage Member Posts: 12
    So is this basically just Dark Age of Camelot Part 2? Can't say I really care. I never liked that game sorry to say. I want something new, not part 2 of something old.
  • Telechubby4LifeTelechubby4Life Member Posts: 2

Dear Mark J. IF ANYTHING! You should really think about making your new game kind of like Darkness Falls: The Crusade From the Mythic-Realms days.

Three Realms. Good, Chaos, Evil. Each realm had like 6-7 classes. Each realm had 3 power shards for realm bonus stats towards Str, Con, Dex. There was one boat. The realms could use to travel to each realm to evade to steal the power shards as a team/realm, loot gear, etc.

Best thing about it, you had to roll your stats. It was also a text based game. If you brought DFC concept/gameplay to a 3D MMORPG that would be epic and would sell.

You could even do something with Spellbinder: The Nexus Conflict concept.

• hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28

Well, I for one, am impressed with Mr. Jacob's honesty and self-reflection.  He seems to really wear his feelings on his sleeve and to be a very genuine fellow, dedicated to bringing a great niche game to market.  Good on you, Mr. Jacobs!

I am also extremely excited about the idea of a DAoC-like RvR-centric game with a somewhat oldschool ruleset and consequences for player decisions.  I'm excited City State is attempting to do this without a giant publisher like EA which would end up footing the bill... and then force the game to be something other than the vision of the dev team.

Time will tell if there are enough RvR vets out there who are willing to back the development, but I know I'm one of them and I really hope this game gets funded and developed.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• GunnyjoeGunnyjoe Member Posts: 2
    Just make a good game and DON'T cater to the 'I have to have bots' croud and you'll be fine.
  • vonbose0vonbose0 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Someone in the comments said that this sounds like a 3 realm shadowbane. That sounds totally rad to me! I love DAoC and Shadowbane!
  • RivalFARivalFA Member Posts: 1

Mark:

Remember Magestorm? Its still the best game you ever made.

With love,

-Rival=FA

http://www.magestorm.net

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by vonbose0
    Someone in the comments said that this sounds like a 3 realm shadowbane. That sounds totally rad to me! I love DAoC and Shadowbane!

Amen to that!