Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the real DAOC2 please stand up

13»

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    @ david
    Can you specify? I would like to read up on it.

He's talking about that POS known as Darkfall which he obviously never even tried otherwise he wouldn't be making ignorant statements about no lag.

I've played it, for three years. And I've played DAoC for eight. 

Darkfall started lagging when about 700 people were on screen at once. 

DAoC, back in dial up days, took about 500 people before the game started lagging. 

But funny, you call one of the only worthy MMOs of the last 8 years a pos. 

500/700 people on screen? can you link a vid or something because i find that very hard to believe

I have no idea about Darkfall... but in DAoC, specially in the Old Frontiers you could have easily 500 people on screen.

Then surely it shouldnt be hard to find footage/screenshot of that many on screen, I've looked and cant see anything close to that number

That's because back in those days FRAPS wasn't wide spread/was a HUGE resource drain. Anyone doing relic raid fighting where the numbers got up that high would NOT be filming it, as their lag would be incredible.

But there were many MANY relic and darkness falls raids were numbers of players got up that high.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by Kuppa @ david Can you specify? I would like to read up on it.
    He's talking about that POS known as Darkfall which he obviously never even tried otherwise he wouldn't be making ignorant statements about no lag.
    I've played it, for three years. And I've played DAoC for eight.  Darkfall started lagging when about 700 people were on screen at once.  DAoC, back in dial up days, took about 500 people before the game started lagging.  But funny, you call one of the only worthy MMOs of the last 8 years a pos. 
    500/700 people on screen? can you link a vid or something because i find that very hard to believe
    I have no idea about Darkfall... but in DAoC, specially in the Old Frontiers you could have easily 500 people on screen.
    Then surely it shouldnt be hard to find footage/screenshot of that many on screen, I've looked and cant see anything close to that number
      That's because back in those days FRAPS wasn't wide spread/was a HUGE resource drain. Anyone doing relic raid fighting where the numbers got up that high would NOT be filming it, as their lag would be incredible. But there were many MANY relic and darkness falls raids were numbers of players got up that high.

So no one ever took any screenshots or vid yet it was common? I cant think of any game that can manage over 100 people on screen at the same time without slowing down performance and/or lag, let alone 500 and I've been gaming since the 80's. So unless you can provide some kind of evidence, even if its just over 100 people on screen, then i will have to say its not true.

If there were many as you claim there would be some kind of evidence, even if it was just someone working for the game saying "look what our game can do", because it would be something to be massively proud of, but there is no evidence, there is no dev/marketing guy saying "hey look at how awesome we are!"

The only online game I know of who has had that many on screen is eve and thats due to the fact that eve is less resource heavy when it comes to combat, but even that can struggle in the larger scale battles

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Deak,

I didnt say it didnt slow you down lol... I said that there were 500 ppl on screen. Sometimes it was a lagfest, with zergs constantly being delayed because of ppl that dced lol...

But hey... most ppl had dial up back then I can remember that.