Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which game(s) have ex-Wow players moved to?

EarthenwareEarthenware Member Posts: 2

World of Warcraft used to be great, but it hasn't been fun for some time now.

My guild stuck it out in the hope that things would return to the way they used to be, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so we are looking around for a suitable alternative.

We're really looking for something that people can log in to after a day at work for some relaxing fun, lots of crafting and time-wasting stuff, and nothing too demanding. For those who remember it, Wow as it used to be in the days of The Burning Crusade – simple, fun raids without dazzling mechanics.

I suspect that the other people who have left Wow have found something like this. Does anyone know which game the other ex-Wow players have gone to?

Comments

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

They either float between MMO's never really sticking at anything for long or go back to WoW, most do the latter. 

WoW might not be as great as it once was, but it's still head and shoulders above most MMO's available right now.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    im gonna say Rift, BUT i myself cant find anything....been plying DOTA2 mostly and Arma2...seems like MMORPG's have died for me within 1 hr im bored of everyone i try
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

ex wow players always go back to wow in the end as they soon realise all the wow clones out there are not as good as wow..

Of course if you are not looking for somthing like wow then there are some decent games out there to choose from, but all depends what you like i guess.

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

Rift for sure...WoW is still the mmorpg of choice though nothing can compare to the quality , but Rift comes very close.

I will always play WoW on and off. When I get burnt out on the rep grind and loot grind. I always just play something like Borderlands ...POE has been fantastic also.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I've been catching up on my single player game library on steam and consoles.

Hoping for something that resembles an old school MMO, but not a whole lot of luck right at the moment.

I'm willing to try Archeage, kinda interested in the Repopulation , and waiting on news of EQnext.

Hopefully some company out there will give me something I will enjoy. Games like Path of Exile give me hope that some people still understand what I like in a game.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I'd imagine Rift, D3, or GW2 are the most natural draws for former WoW players.
  • birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    If you want old school try vanguard it is what eq 2 should have been.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    If you don't mind old visuals Final Fantasy XI is fun. IT's a huge time sink, and fun with friends... not sure about the crafting part new to the game myself.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dota, lol, d3 & rift at a guess.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Malacth

They either float between MMO's never really sticking at anything for long or go back to WoW, most do the latter. 

WoW might not be as great as it once was, but it's still head and shoulders above most MMO's available right now.

That pretty much discribes me.

After SWG shut down, I moved over to WoW to get my fantasy fix. But, I left after it became too much of a grind with all of the reputation dailies. But, I find myself going back a couple of times a year.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

1) Find the most recent game that's opened.

2) Inspect the forums.

3) They'll be there, asking the devs of [Newgame] why they can't make it Just Like WoW.

4) One week later: Nothing to do in this game at the cap. wtf?

5) One month later, goto step 1.

(This cycle is occaisionally interrupted by a new Blizzard expansion. [5a) Gosub Expansion] Otherwise, it's held consistent for nine years.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

I'm just hopping around like mad, between all kinds of games. Tried a WoW fallback a few times, but i never got back in the game.

One game i'm really enjoying right now is Planetside 2. Good 'casual' fun for one that needs to spend alot of time at work.

I'm looking forward to see what this years releases have got to offer . Wildstar looks like it could be a real hit.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i would say to every single one which was released since
  • JaesinPopeJaesinPope Member Posts: 1
    I'm quite the opposite. I tend to end up back playing Asheron's Call. Most people would look at it for a while or try to play it and quit. But, it was my first MMO ever.. kind of hard to replace it in my eyes. More then likely the only skill based PvP I've ever have been involved in. The plus of it, it's all world PvP.. and yes.. quite a few people still play on the Darktide server (which isn't for the feignt of hearts.). But, it's looking like Elder Scrolls is shaping up to be the next try hard MMO, that'll probably throw salt and vinegar on it's name. But, I'm excited to see how it turns out, and that's probably the only MMO I care to wait for.
  • itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    I picked up Rift and its expansion Storm Legion around Christmas and playing casually I'm having a blast. Tons of quests, crafting, dungeons, and instant adventures. I'm not sure how this holds up if you play more than a few hours a day, but for me, cycled with Skyrim or whatever else, its the perfect time killer until my friends log on to play Dota2.

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

was a wow player for 7 years and left for good about a year before MoP came out and to never look back. Blizzard has screwed around with WoW so much that in it's current state it really does suck as a game. So what are we doing? Currently im in world of tanks pretty heavy with my friends, fun and free if you want but i sub for premium. What did i do right after WoW? bought and played every MMO that was release only to be mostly disappointed. Did some AoC, Tera, Aion (bad game), GW2 (worst game I've played other than Aion) So what are we waiting on? Currently Neverwinters and ESO, very excited about both of those. For one we know Neverwinters with be Free to play, ESO will most likely be sub and that's fine if it turns out to be worth it, if not they will most likely go BTP. These two games could be the "WoW killers" that everyone has talked about for so long, sorry had to do that just to get things going..lol

Peace,

Lascer.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

As an ex-wow player i too have fallen into mmo-limbo but the only thing that ever made me fall back to wow was never the game. The game is no better or worse than all the others. Its the people in it. 

Its the only thing that makes the difference for me and the only thing that new games cant do better thant wow. 

You cant make all your old guildies move along with you so you all fall back in turn. A shame really.

For me playing wow, 90% of the time was hanging out in Org (or doing some mindless farming/alt lvling)  talking to friends.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Malacth

Im one of them. Floating between games and trying to find that special feelings that the first years in wow gave me. Everything has ended in fiasco. The secret world is one mmo has struckted me. Mainly because some of the quests are like the old myst/7th guest games. :) 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

In my opinion, a lot of people who started off with WoW will use that game as a benchmark and will naturally gravitate to other games with similar mechanics that they are used to or expect in other MMOs suchs as questing, gear grind, raids, and the holy trinity.  These are games like Rift, Lotro, SWTOR and EQ2 ( some started with this one instead of WoW). 

Some people that started with WoW liked the concept of MMOs but didn't like the mechanics envolved such as the questing, gear grind, raids and holy trinity and have ventured out to try other games that offer different mechanics and/or even different payment models suchs as f2p or b2p.  Sometimes those different ideas stick with those players, however sometimes those ex-WoWers still think that WoW is the norm and will either go back to it, or again look for games that are very similar.  Kind of like a comfort blanket.

In the end, if you are looking for something that is very similar to WoW then try Rift, Lotro, SWTOR, or EQ2.  If you want something completely different try EvE, GW2, STO, or Planetside 2.  That should cover a good range of games that are not like WoW.  Of course there are many others, but those are just the first four that I came up with to counter the other games like WoW that I listed.

Of course that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm really enjoying DUST 514. But there is no crafting and it's on the PS3.

It's about as different from WoW as it's possible to get, but that's a good thing.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    A lot of WoW vets looking for a challenge with similar gameplay have moved to Rift. Very similar feel but the content is harder than WoW offers.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Caldrin

ex wow players always go back to wow in the end as they soon realise all the wow clones out there are not as good as wow..

Of course if you are not looking for somthing like wow then there are some decent games out there to choose from, but all depends what you like i guess.

That's absolutely correct - ex-WoW players do tend to go back to WoW when they reaslise other games don't have quite as much content / such a big budget.

But you miss out what happens next...

When when you realise WoW is generally the best of its type, you leave the whole genre - I couldn't bare any more predictable WoW endgame grinding, but perhaps that's just me.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Earthenware

World of Warcraft used to be great, but it hasn't been fun for some time now.

My guild stuck it out in the hope that things would return to the way they used to be, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen, so we are looking around for a suitable alternative.

We're really looking for something that people can log in to after a day at work for some relaxing fun, lots of crafting and time-wasting stuff, and nothing too demanding. For those who remember it, Wow as it used to be in the days of The Burning Crusade – simple, fun raids without dazzling mechanics.

I suspect that the other people who have left Wow have found something like this. Does anyone know which game the other ex-Wow players have gone to?

I'm still playing a bit of WoW.. but I have started playing DDO just recently. I played it when it first came out, but it didn't hold me. As I'm a more casual player now then ever, I thought I could give it another try. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I like that it's more of a lobby type game when quest I take and then run right into the Dungeon. For a Casual gamer like me, this is nice. As it tells me about how long the dungeon will take. I can relax after work and putting my son to bed and play for an hour and really feel like I got something accomplished. 

It may not be for you, but it's free to play, so it won't hurt to give it a go. 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I am surprised no one here mentioned EQ2.That game is excellent except for its engine which is sluggish. I really recommend that as a first point of call if you are tired of WoW but want something that has similar features and some additional features that WoW does not have such as housing.

I have met ex-WoW players pretty much everywhere, except in sandboxes like EVE.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Damn it. Everytime this subject comes up I want to do a resarch on it. Why ppl can put years into a game, turn its back and then try to find that same feeling once again in a similliar game. Get disapointed and then tries to go back to the original game to find out it has become dull and not as good as before...So many awsome sociopsycological aspects to prawn upon :)

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.