Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want this game bad now..

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Karteli

Hmm

Each faction is limited to a relatively small area, less than a WoW single continent.  It's not an open world for PVE exploration, and it's also not an open world for PVP.

The combat looks really bad (ref trailers, small clips where fight occurs from the frontside, not the backside).  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.

Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything (Zenimax statement) .. you just stand there and watch others hit you while you graphically-less do damage.

But by all means, advertise away!

Totally disagree with this poster, but so will most people, so Id ignore him...especially because of his references to size (which is inaccurate) and associating that with exploration because we all know that just because a world is big (SWTOR) doesn't mean there is any sense of exploration and Skyrim, though not a huge world, was cleverly designed in more of a vertical way as well (mountains, etc) that made it feel much bigger than it really was. I think the combat looks in a very good state and the graphics/artistry for an MMO look awesome. Talk about egocentric..."People who know games"...baiting at its best.

Read the post about yours, watch the link too, because it contains direct interviews from Zenimax.  But by all means, make a statement by closing your eyes, pretending that TESO will be on the level of Skyrim.  Ignoring those who bring sanity to the hype madness isn't going to make TESO a better game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    If you are going to dismiss someones calculations on map size based on information available from interviews by asking for video's or some other proof then you must realise the reality is, you are unable to proove anything either. All we can go is the informtion released and in that respect, as far as we currently know Karteli is posting more accurately.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by deakon

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Originally posted by Karteli Hmm   Each faction is limited to a relatively small area, less than a WoW single continent.  It's not an open world for PVE exploration, and it's also not an open world for PVP.   The combat looks really bad.  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.   Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything .. you just stand there,   But by all means, advertise away!
    This again? Damn you guys dont quit... Yes there is faction lock - which is GOOD. Now where does it say that areas are "less than wow single continent" - cyrodiil alone is 1:1 to oblivion - are you crazy? And please show us the footage of the game cause we only have alphas and specially that first person mode you talk about. Why do people talk about stuff they know nothing about? - now regarding that video, op... you can become a vampire or a werewolf as a "perk". Theres a newer video around that they say you can. And dont listen to haters... these guys destroy any good community and bring out the worse in you - yes TESO hopefully will be a great great mmo from what the devs have shown and told so far.
    Did you even check out the map for the gameworld of TESO?  Did you really think than Cyrodiil is magically smaller than other areas with known size?   Watch the trailers man.  Lame footage when it comes to combat.  I showed the trailer to my buddies and we all agree combat was pretty freakin lame.  Frontal combat scenes were shown in 2 spots in the last 9 minute trailer.  Beyond that it was always from the backside, with huge whooptie-doo particle effects to make the scene look interesting.    
    Oblivion is over half the size of kalimdor, we get that plus our faction zones each, so unless you are saying our entire pve leveling area (per faction) is smaller than the pvp map, we will get access to more than a vanilla continent.
    I'd say, no Oblivion isn't.  Maps of size show otherwise, as you have seen already.   It's more like Cyrodiil is about 1/3 the size of a WoW continent.  If you don't like seeing facts, then stop bringing it up.     So, Cyrodiil can hold 2000 players?  Mmm Hmm ...   Oblivion is NOT half the size of a WoW continent.  Devs stated TESO was a 1:1 comparison to Oblivion.

Look at cyrodiil again put it on its side and look at kalimdor, oh look its over half the size if that is to scale (which its been proven it isn't, lotro 350 times the size of wow lol)

Or we can look at the guy who worked out how big vanilla is, oh look 28 square miles per continent, now its been a while since i was at school but half of 28 is 14 if I'm not mistaken, which is smaller than 16 no? So if 16 is bigger than 14 and 14 is half the size of......wait a minuet, that makes it larger than half! /sarcastic shock

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Hmm

Each faction is limited to a relatively small area, less than a WoW single continent.  It's not an open world for PVE exploration, and it's also not an open world for PVP.

The combat looks really bad (ref trailers, small clips where fight occurs from the frontside, not the backside).  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.

Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything (Zenimax statement) .. you just stand there and watch others hit you while you graphically-less do damage.

Its very much an open world exploration and PvP game.  What you mean to say is it isnt a seemless world and PvP game.  Big difference between the 2.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I don't always agree with Kartelli but he's thorough... and yeah, the combat looks pretty rigid now that you mention it.  There's no follow-through at all, it's like once they hit the enemy, the animation stops prematurely.  It looks a bit outdated, but like the faction locks, it just doesn't scream "Elder Scrolls".  The rest looks pretty good though.

the combat is Pre-Alpha...anyone remember the pre-ALpha footage of WoW?  I sure do and it looked horrid.  lets not judge it till it at least gets to beta, at least by then most of the animations and physix should be fleshed out.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

Hmm

Source for your material?

Ohh thats right you have none, your purely speculating to advance your own personal agenda.  The zones are the same size as the single player games which are relatively big.  Plus each faction has 3 zones to explore so your automatically incorrect.  On a related note it isnt even the size that matters its the content thats in it.  Everyone thats ever played a bethesda game knows the zones are chalk full of explorable nooks and crannys.  Cant go 2 mins in skyrim without having 3-4 POI's on your compass to explore and god knows in a year and a half of me playing there has been alot of replayability due to the sheer amount of explorable content.

(RED) Keep telling yourself that as you hype up for relase!   Everyone knows MMORPG content is more detailed than single player games!

btw, the source is in the maps I posted, indicating size.

Im not even hyping it, I am plenty of apprehensive about the game on alot of fronts but the things we do know based on the October Press event proved the content was almost exactly similar to Skyrim.  It is Exploration Centric complete with a compass that points toward Points of Interest.  And every one of those POI's had quests attached to it according to ES OTR Podcast and Tamriel Foundry's information.  They both said the content was immense and gratutitous jsut like Skyrim.  The one guys even mentioned they explored the small starter island for 2 hours and still hadnt uncovered al lthe content there.  The 2 guys got lost trying to find each other.  Theres another Podcast where he talks about vertain quests and the other guys were like: WHoooh I never seen that quest. 

SO I'll believe someone who's actually played it over someone with an obvious biased agenda.  To say you dont is laughable.

EDIT: You also fail to mention that your map only shows 1 zone, your forgetting about the other 2.

Problem is... I've seen all the trailers and didnt see the stuff you're talking about. I've seen an alpha "treat" to make ppl drool... and it did. The errors I've seen wasnt errors, its an alpha and yes, contrary to what you think, that actually matters. They release something for us that for them is actually outdated.

Or show me that video you're talking about.

As for first person... well... http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/24/dive-into-the-eso-preview-event-coverage says it has it... and... I didnt see any statement from zenimax saying your weapon will not show up...

On the official forums it says that the devs are working on making weapons visible...

Are you on an alternate universe? Or me...?

Seriously... your info has NOTHING to do with mine.

On your first portion, questioning combat, see the trailer:

The Elder Scrolls Online Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEipFtHw7o

With notes to 2:25 and 4:45.  All combat inbetween seems rather lame, actually.  Most combat scenes in the trailer are from the back end so you can't see the horrible animations.  They are "prettied" up with a bunch of sparkly particle effects.

I had my gripes with SWTOR, but they did choreographed combat (animating dodges, hits, evades, blocks, reflects, etc) showing every combat move, graphically.  I'd consider ESO comwhere around EQ or WoW.

--

On the second note about not being able to see your hands / weapons:

Elder Scrolls Online’s game director explains how you’ll be a standout badass among badasses

Wed, Jan 30, 2013

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/elder-scrolls-onlines-game-director-explains-how-youll-be-a-standout-badass

The Elder Scrolls Online beta isn’t live yet, but sign-ups are underway and developers ZeniMax Online are prepping for the influx of players. But before Khajiit, High Elf, Argonian and Breton start to conquer Tamriel, the Report asked game director Matt Firor to shed some light on the world of Elder Scrolls Online.

Porting a previously single-player experience to the MMO space can be tricky, especially with a property loved by so many. Game play changes have to be made – you can move the camera to first-person in ESO, but you won’t see your hands or weapons as in previous games, and the realistic visuals have been dropped – and in an MMO space, you might be sharing the role of hero with hundreds, if not thousands of other players.

There ya go !  Pretty sad, eh?  Then again, perhaps one of us is living in an alternate universe!

Who plays MMO's in First Person mode any way?  Thats not they are meant to be played.  THE FP view is more for detailed looking at objects in the world and not combat.  The ability to play Skyrim combat fluidly in third person (more MMO like) greatly contributed to my still playing the game, whereas in Morrowind and Oblivian I beat the main story and never touched them again.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I see a few people here and there (not the majority for sure) saying faction locks is a good thing.

Exactly how...?  This is the worst idea i've heard in a long time.  I am still somewhat interested in the game, but don't make this out to be some genius development plan when it's just something that limits the player in a game series that is traditionally all about NOT limiting the player.  It's pure fail.

It's good for people who like Alts. Take many of the complaints about TOR's (or similar structure) repeating of content as an example. You won't have that type of problem in a world setup like this. The leveling experience will be somewhat fresh if you roll an alt within a different alliance. It was like that in DAOC as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Yes. One of us is living in an alternate universe because thats a statement done by penny arcade. Its not a quote from firor or anything official. Official forum says devs are working in a way to make weapons and arms visible in fp. So... Penny arcade which got access to the same presentation that everybody else on the press has had, saw exactly the same alpha. Firor didnt say it, its not official therefore I need an official statement.

As for map. Yep look at what I said and look at your map. Cyrodiil bigger than skyrim, more or less the same size of morrowind... Etc etc... So all i've said is exactly how that map shows now... Where is it getting magically smaller? Lol...

Combat. I repeat. Again. Its alpha. Ok? Got it? Alpha before beta... You know that, right?

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I want this bad game now..

There you go. I fixed the title for you.

I'm sorry. I could not help myself.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

Originally posted by Distopia

It's good for people who like Alts. Take many of the complaints about TOR's (or similar structure) repeating of content as an example. You won't have that type of problem in a world setup like this. The leveling experience will be somewhat fresh if you roll an alt within a different alliance. It was like that in DAOC as well.

I like alts. I am a self confessed altaholic. What if I want to create an alt of another race but that is within the sme faction?

My 2 favorite races are Breton and Orc. In TESO they are both from the same faction. Unless they put in enough content requred to level to 50 with 3 characters of the same faction then I will have to repeat content. The reason I stopped playing TOR for example was, after my 3rd character from the same faction I was falling asleep because all the content was stuff I had done before, twice already.

If there were no faction locked races I could cerate my Breton and level up and then make an Orc and take him to Skyrim or another part of the world, level him up and be 100% guaranteed to not repeat content.

So, if the game doesn't have enough content to level up 3 races from the same faction then your argument about it being good for people who play alts doesn't hold water. And as I said, I am one of those people so it doesn't work for me.

However, if there was only 100% content per currently locked faction available in an open world then I could level up 3 characters, irrespective of race, without having to repeat content.

In comparrison, with faction locked races you will potentially repeate content on your 2nd character. Without faction locked races you would repeat on your 4th.

Of course neither of us know just how much content there is in game but if you look at it logically lacking information then what I have just offered is the best guess as it stands.

• KaiserPhoenixKaiserPhoenix Member Posts: 59
    i rather have meaningful smaller areas, than big empty worlds of nothingness.
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

So, if the game doesn't have enough content to level up 3 races from the same faction then your argument about it being good for people who play alts doesn't hold water. And as I said, I am one of those people so it doesn't work for me.

I think you missed the part in yellow.

Combat. I repeat. Again. Its alpha. Ok? Got it? Alpha before beta... You know that, right?

Hold the front page....you mean to say, due to the complaints, suggestions, observations of people during testing the designers changed, modified and/or improved the game???

And here I thought we were all wasting our breath and that nothing would ever change! Well slap my thigh and call me Suzie, I guess I will keep posting my thoughts and opinions, thanks for the moral boost.

No, I explained it in my post. Guess you forgot to read it and just looked for what you thought was a problem with it.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    It is instance so it isn't DAoC in anyway, we are just getting anoher failed GW2 WvW PvP gimmick. This game will be the death of Elder Scrolls even the single player game will have longer life spans than the MMO.
    Originally posted by KaiserPhoenix
    i rather have meaningful smaller areas, than big empty worlds of nothingness.

If those meaningful smaller areas are accessible by all characters then doesn't that give you a larger meaningful area?

No, I explained it in my post. Guess you forgot to read it and just looked for what you thought was a problem with it.

No I read your post, and I'm sorry if you want toons from the same alliance, doesn't change what I said, you simply found what you thought was a problem with it...

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    It is instance so it isn't DAoC in anyway, we are just getting anoher failed GW2 WvW PvP gimmick. This game will be the death of Elder Scrolls even the single player game will have longer life spans than the MMO.

If by instance you mean zoned, what makes that so different than DAOC on standard servers? If you mean by campaign, the campaign is broken down into server sized clusters. You are always in the same cluster, unless you decide to change. That goess for everyone in that cluster as well, so I'm not sure what you mean here?

No I read your post, and I'm sorry if you want toons from the same alliance, doesn't change what I said, you simply found what you thought was a problem with it...

It is a problem. No if's, no buts. If your solution is "sorry you have to roll another faction to prevent repeating content" then that is a cop out, bad design and poor foresight.

You used me, an altaholic, to reinforce your argument. When i let you know that your argument fails you have no where else to go. You have to add a stipulation that there is enough content as long as you only roll 1 character per faction. Not a solution to the problem, sorry.

That logic of game design is about as useful as the GW2 design allowing you to transfer servers so everyone quits a losing faction to join a winning one. BAD design.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Judging a game purely on a PR demo video is easily the dumbest way to shop for an MMO. If we were to take all these MMO videos seriously WoW would have died off years ago.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I see a few people here and there (not the majority for sure) saying faction locks is a good thing.

Exactly how...?  This is the worst idea i've heard in a long time.  I am still somewhat interested in the game, but don't make this out to be some genius development plan when it's just something that limits the player in a game series that is traditionally all about NOT limiting the player.  It's pure fail.

That's completely different though.  In SWTOR, you were forced to repeat content through a very linear planet path early on.  People didn't like the lack of choice.  Why those same people are going to be happy with a different lack of choice is beyond me, but I guess we'll see.  The point is, if people feel they're not allowed to do what they want, they lose interest pretty fast.  MMOs are supposed to be getting more varied, not more restrictive. 

Also, skimming your argument with the guy up there, I think he's talking about what I just thought about... what if you want to roll the same faction for all your characters?  You're going to have to repeat content and in much the same way as SWTOR, you can't really do anything about it because it's going to be nearly as linear.  Factions limit gameplay, and locked factions just limit it more.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek Combat. I repeat. Again. Its alpha. Ok? Got it? Alpha before beta... You know that, right?
    Hold the front page....you mean to say, due to the complaints, suggestions, observations of people during testing the designers changed, modified and/or improved the game???   And here I thought we were all wasting our breath and that nothing would ever change! Well slap my thigh and call me Suzie, I guess I will keep posting my thoughts and opinions, thanks for the moral boost.

Don't be silly of course combat animations can and will be improved before launch (and after launch too), as can combat mechanics etc, the difference is what your asking to be changed is at the center of the story the game is telling

It is a problem. No if's, no buts. If your solution is "sorry you have to roll another faction to prevent repeating content" then that is a cop out, bad design and poor foresight.

You used me, an altaholic, to reinforce your argument. When i let you know that your argument fails you have no where else to go. You have to add a stipulation that there is enough content as long as you only roll 1 character per faction. Not a solution to the problem, sorry.

That logic of game design is about as useful as the GW2 design allowing you to transfer servers so everyone quits a losing faction to join a winning one. BAD design.

My theory is based on past experience, and I was referring specifically to rolling an alt on a different alliance, which places you outside of the point I was making, no copout about it.

For the rest of your post... I didn't design it so I feel no need to defend what you think is bad design....

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

My theory is based on past experience, and I was referring specifically to rolling an alt on a different alliance, which places you outside of the point I was making, no copout about it.

For the rest of your post... I didn't design it so I feel no need to defend what you think is bad design....

Err.. not to get too involved in your argument here, but since your initial reply about this was to me, you did say "people who like alts".  That includes a lot of people, like Maelwydd (and myself I guess), who don't like faction locks.