Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does TESO offer that GW2 does not?

Comments

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    Originally posted by fs23otm
    Originally posted by zastroph
    Hopefully TESO will NOT have any pathetic level caping in lower level areas!

Shows how ignorant you are about GW2. The downleveling is one of the BEST features of GW2. I can play my 80 with all my friends lower level characters, and not completely facroll it. Sure I am a little bit more powerful, but not in such a way that I am one shotting stuff.

Play solo, all the way to level 80 (5 times), then tell me how easy it is!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Loco one of the reasons it is less balanced in gw2 is you ARE NOT locked to your server, its way to easy to transfer around. Gw2 would be in a better state if they stopped free transfers a few days after launch rather than waiting months.

Tsw is another matter, everyone is chums in pve, rewards are just for taking, its in a small area. Suprise suprise pve types go there and circle jerk the map / trade keeps to get a starter set for running dungeons. It's pvp where you get more goodies for actually avoiding pvp.
  • casual187casual187 Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by crysent
    Originally posted by ragz45

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.
    • Seamless world - Having no loading screens will be a nice change.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

The force is strong with this one. image

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Loco one of the reasons it is less balanced in gw2 is you ARE NOT locked to your server, its way to easy to transfer around. Gw2 would be in a better state if they stopped free transfers a few days after launch rather than waiting months.

Tsw is another matter, everyone is chums in pve, rewards are just for taking, its in a small area. Suprise suprise pve types go there and circle jerk the map / trade keeps to get a starter set for running dungeons. It's pvp where you get more goodies for actually avoiding pvp.

PvE chum's is the not problem though. The problem with Fusang is that there is no incentive to defend. You can keep spinning things to back up your "race-locked factions is good for faction pride etc..." but the reality is, faction locking does not stop people creating alts (it is actually encouraged) and doing all the things you think the locking does. All it does is impact on the rest of the game, affecting freedom to create the character you want, preventing the freedom of exploration and allowing any race to join any guild/group/faction.

All these restrictions do nothing to actually prevent people logging on their alt when things go bad. As I said, the developers encourage people to switch sides through their own game design.

• Sweetrolls. Possibly an arrow in the knee, too.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    All these restrictions do nothing to actually prevent people logging on their alt when things go bad. As I said, the developers encourage people to switch sides through their own game design.

And you're sure you can have an alt in a different faction in the same exact campaign your main is on? My assumption has been that your other-faction alts were locked out of being in the same campaign...is this wrong? Link?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Well, it's what they're trying to do now... they just disabled free transfers and reset the server standings, so now everything is supposed to start over again. I would have preferred for them to start again with 1 day - 1 week - 2 week matches like they did at release so that standing don't take so long to form again, though.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Originally posted by Iselin

And you're sure you can have an alt in a different faction in the same exact campaign your main is on? My assumption has been that your other-faction alts were locked out of being in the same campaign...is this wrong? Link?

The mega server allows everyone to play on the same server. It mentions nothing about how it affects the PvP and at no point when they talk about campains do they Mention being locked out of a campaign on an alt....funny they talk about faction locking players out of content but mention nothing about campaigns...so untill they say campaigns are the exception to how the mega server works then that is how it works. Burden of proof and all that...

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    It offers a completely different game, no less no more. Isnt that enough?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

For me it offers different world, lore, graphics, atmosphere and gameplay. The combat in TESO is true to skyrim  and i think these are more than enough reasons. 

Also it helps when you are not fanatical in nature when it comes to certian MMOS. I like variety in my MMO plate.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

The mega server allows everyone to play on the same server. It mentions nothing about how it affects the PvP and at no point when they talk about campains do they Mention being locked out of a campaign on an alt....funny they talk about faction locking players out of content but mention nothing about campaigns...so untill they say campaigns are the exception to how the mega server works then that is how it works. Burden of proof and all that...

You're right. They haven't said. So thinking it will work one way or the other is just speculation. I expect some of these kinks will get worked out in the beta but switching factions through alts in the same campaign makes so little sense that I seriously doubt that would be doable when it releases.

Faction lock and campaign locks are all about creating a sense of community... a sense of  "us vs. them." You need that sort of thing in RvR games. Otherwise they just become a large scale lobby BG...sort of like TSW and Fusang.

So you go right ahead and assume the system they create will be easily perverted through the use of alts... I'm betting against that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Just currious what do you guys see TESO offering you that GW2 currently does not offer?  What improvements do you see TESO having over GW2?  Almost my entire guild left GW2 within a month of the game's release.  When I ask most of them why they left they can't really pin it down to anything specific.  Just that they lost interest, and couldn't be bothered to log in.  The three big changes I see being different are

• Lore - ESO and GW both have a well established lore, ESO is just different.  But both are equally good.  And while this is a different aspect between the two games.  I don't see it as an improvment.
    • Character development - This is where I think TESO will really shine.  The character development in gw2 is sort of lacking In my opinion.  Being stuck with certain weapons for certain classes, and having skills tied to those weapons kind of bugs me.  And after you have unlocked all of the attacks for each weapon, you really don't have anything huge to look forward to as far as advancing your character.

What other changes do you see between two games?  Of those changes is it really an improvement?

Real PvP and RvR. 

You're right. They haven't said. So thinking it will work one way or the other is just speculation. I expect some of these kinks will get worked out in the beta but switching factions through alts in the same campaign makes so little sense that I seriously doubt that would be doable when it releases.

Faction lock and campaign locks are all about creating a sense of community... a sense of  "us vs. them." You need that sort of thing in RvR games. Otherwise they just become a large scale lobby BG...sort of like TSW and Fusang.

So you go right ahead and assume the system they create will be easily perverted through the use of alts... I'm betting against that.

I doubt they will leave such a big hole in their design but to think that faction locks create a sense of community when the game encourages (and for some peopel forces) you to create alts in other factions to see the rest of the game world then I think is expecting a bit much. You can buy out of a losing campain even if you can't login an alt to a campaign that is winning using insider knowledge (outside of asking others in other campaigns).

My point still remains, all these restrictions do is affect people outside of the PvP.

It restricts people playing the face/faction they desire, exploring the world as they desire and generally playing the game as they desire (i.e. in keeping with the spirit of a TES game).

These restrictions do not ensure people only play 1 faction, cannot hop thorugh campaigns to avoid losing them, be a member of all 3 factions, spying for other factions using an alt....

So if the restrictions do not prevent these things and do not force player pride (that is optional no matter what design they have) then why put them in as they have such massive detrimental repercussions elsewhere in the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Eletheryl

Real PvP and RvR. 

I'm skeptical... I don't see how you can have either of these, "truly", with faction locked zones.  Part of the real PvP sense of WoW's PvP servers came from being able to enter enemy lands.  It was exciting.  I'm not a big PvP'er, but I don't understand how any hardcore PvP'ers are thrilled about this.  It's worse than GW2's "no factions" set up, because you know where the enemy sleeps, but you can't kill him unless you enter a special zone..

And like I explained to a friend who didn't care for GW2's WvW, TESO explains their RvR almost exactly the same way.  Just try not to get your hopes up, no one's to blame for hyped up players but themselves if things turn out less than spectacular.

Originally posted by Eir_S

Real PvP and RvR. 

I'm skeptical... I don't see how you can have either of these, "truly", with faction locked zones.  Part of the real PvP sense of WoW's PvP servers came from being able to enter enemy lands.  It was exciting.  I'm not a big PvP'er, but I don't understand how any hardcore PvP'ers are thrilled about this.  It's worse than GW2's "no factions" set up, because you know where the enemy sleeps, but you can't kill him unless you enter a special zone..

And like I explained to a friend who didn't care for GW2's WvW, TESO explains their RvR almost exactly the same way.  Just try not to get your hopes up, no one's to blame for hyped up players but themselves if things turn out less than spectacular.

WOW PVP is a bad example of PVP that unfortunately, is the one most people know about. Their PVP design is all about the e-sport battlegrounds and open world PVP only exists in the minority of servers, the PVP ones. WOW is a PVE game with tacked-on PVP.

I played in Emerald Dream, an RP-PVP server, for many years and I can say from experience that the vast majority of PVP encounters was that of high level players griefing the lower level ones trying to do their PVE questing. I guess people that don't know any better will consider that thrilling and exciting. I just call it what it is: griefing.

Very rarely impromptu large scale PVP events were organized mostly by those who still didn't have the bear mount from capping all the enemy cities. Only in those rare occasions did WOW PVP feel anything like the fun of DAoC RVR. Except in DAoC that was available almost 24/7, not just when someone wanted to get their achievemnt and reward. Yes, DAoC restricted it to the RvR zones but that was never an issue and that persistent battle was infinitely more enjoyable than any PVP WOW has ever offered. I've experienced every PVP system designed for MMOs and I'm a firm believer that segregating it from PVE works best.

So yeah, DAoC...I guess you had to be there...

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Eir_S It's worse than GW2's "no factions" set up, because you know where the enemy sleeps, but you can't kill him unless you enter a special zone..

It does not matter how it's done as long as there's unique factions, it's always better than no factions in my books, the PvP motivation is so much better when an actually different looking enemy from different land is against you, and not just a clone bunch from "another dimension" that looks exactly like you. There's no unique background or lore reasons for you to win either in GW2, might aswell let the invading enemy to win, they're not any different from you or your bunch, in fact they are exactly the same when it comes to "why we fight?" question.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's better than gw2s system because it breeds animosity and has actual rivalry. Your not just getting killed by some random dude from whatsitsface server you happen to be paired with this week.
  • AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    It's better than gw2s system because it breeds animosity and has actual rivalry. Your not just getting killed by some random dude from whatsitsface server you happen to be paired with this week.

Have you considered all the benefits of changing which server you are paired with in GW2 that ESO is missing out on?

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

If any one actually know the answer, I'll cal the FBI and go to your house and arrest you for NDA.

You need to actually play the game to know the answer.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by boxsnd

endgame

real pvp progression

your enemies don't look the same as your allies

trinity

a game engine that allows more than 50 player fights without melting your computer

(hopefully) the pve zones won't be empty due to the mega-server tech

But at the moment we know very little about the game. I'm refusing to get hyped until I actually play it for a while. I'm very cautious after the GW2 disaster.

ohh yea you saw the endgame

you saw the pvp progression

theres no trinity

yes maybe 20 players will melt your computer

and no GW2 wasnt a disaster theres alot of ppl enjoing it

cool you left the game so why bashing it all the time you get paid for it?

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Real PvP and RvR. 

If you never played DAoC the nyou can't answer this question either.

For those of us who played DAoC, the sense of realm pride and animosity of the other realms was immense.  You do not get that in GW2 because you may be playing a Char and see a Charr on the enmeis side, no sense of realm pride there.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SoulrynSoulryn Member Posts: 11
    Ho w can anyone just compare GW2 lore with Elder Scrolls lore. GW2 loses at this point, very much.
  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    teso being an mmorpg.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by crysent

Duh, everything, TESO offers everything GW2 currently does not!  Don't you know?!  TESO is the new kid on the block and no one here is going to complain about it until after it releases.  Until then we will have the highest expectations and defend it feverishly.

However, after it releases we will all just complain about it and call it a massive failure.

made lolz....but SO true :)

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Not sure if any MMO can be used as a comparison check vs GW2. GW2 feels so lacklustre in most departments.  Graphicly its very pleasing to the eye, but thats all its got going for it imo, maybe they should rename the game BLT Wars.  Any game has to be better than working for a glow in the dark weapon.