Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The list

So i was thinking we could come up with a list (5 ideas per post) that is a must have or must have not for CU.

1. Movable and reusable siege.

2. Faction based PvP not FFA. (failed on Andred and Mordred) Lot of other FFA MMOs avail, i think we need a fresh 3 faction representation.

3. Collision detection, this might be a pipe dream but it would make all sieges more strategic, making a moving line to advance, blocking choke points.

4. Mounted combat. One of the worst parts of GW2 is the lack of mounts.

5. Scalable walls, one thing that was awesome about DAoC siege warfare was you had to watch the climb points, maybe this can be a skill that you train into, changing the speed you can scale a wall.

I would ask those who have an axe to grind with Marc Jacobs, or hate the idea of Camelot Unchained to please just avoid posting in this thread, no i can't force you to not post, but it would be nice to just have a nice thread with suggestions, hopes, dreams.

Lolipops !

Comments

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by xSyngex
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

So i was thinking we could come up with a list (5 ideas per post) that is a must have or must have not for CU.

2. Faction based PvP not FFA. (failed on Andred and Mordred) Lot of other FFA MMOs avail, i think we need a fresh 3 faction representation.

3. Collision detection, this might be a pipe dream but it would make all sieges more strategic, making a moving line to advance, blocking choke points.

5. Scalable walls, one thing that was awesome about DAoC siege warfare was you had to watch the climb points, maybe this can be a skill that you train into, changing the speed you can scale a wall.

I would ask those who have an axe to grind with Marc Jacobs, or hate the idea of Camelot Unchained to please just avoid posting in this thread, no i can't force you to not post, but it would be nice to just have a nice thread with suggestions, hopes, dreams.

(mod edit)

I am not sure why MMORPG mods are allowing you to troll every thread, but i would hope they stop you and remove this post.

edit: I always forget about the block tool, much better now. (Green lettering is my way of modifying the flaming)

Lolipops !

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Ok, 5 must-have's imo:

1. Housing

2. Optional but more rewarding PvE in PvP zones

3. An updated relic-style system for the modern game, something to power RvR and give targets and meaning to the games pvp

4. Crafting and a working player economy

5. RvR character progression (aka Realm Ranks, but a better system)

All of which existed in some form in DAoC so none are a big ask imo.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by xSyngex

(mod edit)

I am not sure why MMORPG mods are allowing you to troll every thread, but i would hope they stop you and remove this post.

edit: I always forget about the block tool, much better now.

Yep, block for the win megameights :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Ok, 5 must-have's imo:

1. Housing

2. Optional but more rewarding PvE in PvP zones

3. An updated relic-style system for the modern game, something to power RvR and give targets and meaning to the games pvp

4. Crafting and a working player economy

5. RvR character progression (aka Realm Ranks, but a better system)

All of which existed in some form in DAoC so none are a big ask imo.

As far as we know there is no PVE in this game and if there is, it will not be a big part of the game at least thats the impression i get from the interviews so far..

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Zinzan

edit: I always forget about the block tool, much better now.

Yep, block for the win megameights :)

Aye, best to just block those people and not feed their trolling. Works best.

As for my hopes. I hope there is collision detection, housing, Dragons (Real Dragons like we had in DAOC), an uninstanced world, at least a dungeon like Darkness Falls to fight over, and most of all I hope there are no mirrored classes. That was one of the nice things with DAOC, we had so many classes to choose from, even though I know it was probably a nightmare to try and balance, I liked having so many classes to choose from that it made it difficult to choose just one to play.

*Edit* Cool MJ said in a reply there would be dragons, so check that off my list heh.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Folks,

I think this is a great idea and I'll be happy to contribute my own thoughts here too (as long as people understand that they are just that of course). BTW, the first of my Foundational Principles is now up on our website. :)

I'm really interested in hearing what you guys & gals would love to see in CU.

Mark  

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I don't really have five at the moment, just one for now.

1: I'd like to see skill based character building. Swing a sword to progress a sword skill, that sort of thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

1. an open world -No megaserver BS either - Choke points like Old Frontiers (Mile gates ect)

2. Open world housing with guild strongholds

3. Updated Relic system

4. Updated Realm ranks - Please no skill trees like WOW/ all the clones

5. Meaningful PVE that doesn't take/keep people away from RVR (Does TOA bring anything to mind?)

I have alot more than 5 features I would like to see in CU but I will stay on topic

• MasitaMasita Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Folks,

I think this is a great idea and I'll be happy to contribute my own throughts here too (as long as people understand that they are just that of course). BTW, the first of my Foundational Principles is now up on our website. :)

Mark  

Sounds good... very excited to read #2 (tomorrow?)

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by Masita
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Folks,

I think this is a great idea and I'll be happy to contribute my own throughts here too (as long as people understand that they are just that of course). BTW, the first of my Foundational Principles is now up on our website. :)

Mark  

Sounds good... very excited to read #2 (tomorrow?)

Maybe, and hopefully my brain will be more functional in the morning so I don't write "thoughts" as "throughts" or something else silly.  I wonder if staying up to 3AM to post had anything to do with it. :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

One thing I would like see carry over from DAoC for sure is the leveling of keeps. Let guilds claim them and choose what levels to set them at based on what they can afford/support.

I loved claiming keeps/towers in DAoC, it gives a sense of guild and realm pride. Siege is of course a must. The only thing I don't really care to see again is how easy it was to interrupt casters in DAoC. Something should be done about casters differently.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

2 weeks ago I made a long post about ESO RvR that could also be about CU RvR: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/375175/ESO-devs-If-you-want-to-get-open-world-PvP-right-read-this.html

Most people agreed to everything, only the long duration CC was controversial but I still believe that long duration CC with full immunity is much better (and more fun) than short duration CC with diminishing returns.

1) permanent progression which is only achieved through open world PvP kills (primary objective) and taking keeps (secondary objective, much slower than kills). Progression should be endless or extremely hard to reach the max rank. It should be interesting: not +1 str per rank etc, give us PvP-only skills that can't be unlocked with PvE.

2) A dungeon like Darkness Falls to fight over

3) The game should be optimized for large open world battles (without culling)

4) Large duration crowd control system, large groups (8 players is optimal), no "downed mechanic", yes to the  trinity(healers,tanks,dps) to allow for many different playstyles (zerging, competitive group vs group, soloing, small group, stealthing etc)

5) Relics (that can't get hacked) to fight over 

6) Names of enemies visible, same enemies all the time (to build rivalries and realm pride, and to make the whole war feel important)

7) Make defending keeps much more rewarding than trading them with your enemies.

8) DON'T force us to PvE (much) to be able to compete in PvP.

9) The skill system should allow skilled players to overpower zergs of lesser skilled players. If twitch.tv existed back in 2002, DAoC would be the most watched game by far. It was insanely competitive. But if the skill cap is as low as WoW's/GW2's it will never happen.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Originally posted by boxsnd

2 weeks ago I made a long post about ESO RvR that could also be about CU RvR: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/375175/ESO-devs-If-you-want-to-get-open-world-PvP-right-read-this.html

Most people agreed to everything, only the long duration CC was controversial but I still believe that long duration CC with full immunity is much better (and more fun) than short duration CC with diminishing returns.

1) permanent progression which is only achieved through open world PvP kills (primary objective) and taking keeps (secondary objective, much slower than kills). Progression should be endless or extremely hard to reach the max rank. It should be interesting: not +1 str per rank etc, give us PvP-only skills that can't be unlocked with PvE.

4) Large duration crowd control system, large groups (8 players is optimal), no "downed mechanic", yes to the  trinity(healers,tanks,dps) to allow for many different playstyles (zerging, competitive group vs group, soloing, small group, stealthing etc)

6) Names of enemies visible, same enemies all the time (to build rivalries and realm pride, and to make the whole war feel important)

7) Make defending keeps much more rewarding than trading them with your enemies.

9) The skill system should allow skilled players to overpower zergs of lesser skilled players. If twitch.tv existed back in 2002, DAoC would be the most watched game by far. It was insanely competitive. But if the skill cap is as low as WoW's/GW2's it will never happen.

Pretty much touched on everything I missed as well. Good list here.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Basicly like daoc but
    With the collision detection and pvp tanking mechanics of war.
    And the combat, both on foot and mounted of games like chivalry and war of the roses.

I don't want tab Target combat. With tab Target time played and gear is more important. With more skill based combat, gear Is still a factor, but if your good enough, you can beat a less skilled grinder. I've found more skill based a great leveler in games like planetside.
  • AkanumAkanum Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by boxsnd

I agree with these suggestions, especially #4 and #6.

Oh another thing make resources needed for crafting and housing pvp objectives. If you want to make stuff you have to hold the mine or forest or whatever that supplies those materials. If you want to make something extra good you need to hold objectives that are hard to defend.
    We know the game will have crafting and housing.

I would like to make the systems interdependent. So..

You pvp to capture territory.
    Holding territory gives you access to craft resources.
    Some craft resources let you build siege equipment and defences
    Some craft resources let you improve your gear
    Some craft resources let you improve your house
    The best resources are a bitch to hold onto.
    Killing players let's you loot resources they are carrying
    Dieing damages equipment
    You use crafting to repair equipment
    When you log off you retire to your house.
    You skill while offline, like eve and planetside.
    The facilities you've built into your housing determine what you can skill when off Line, e.g. archery targets for bow use, library for spell casting etc..
    Advanced skills require advanced facilities.
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    1. Reactionary combat moves (must be used after enemy blocks/after you dodge etc). I loved this is DAoC
    2. Conditional combat queue. This ties into the the above. I prepare 1 move with a condition and a second move as a backup. If the condition is met for the first move, it activates. If not, the backup move triggers instead.
    3. ROLLING LAG HAMMERS / FLAMING SPEARS OF LAG
    4. Zones that are a mix of old and new frontiers. Choke points like the mile gates. Meaning full supply chains and support structures like in NF.
    5. 30+ seconds CC with the means to counter it with buffs that reduce the duration, castable heals that remove it and clickable abilities on a fairly long cool down to personally remove it
    Originally posted by Nibs
    1. Reactionary combat moves (must be used after enemy blocks/after you dodge etc). I loved this is DAoC
    2. Conditional combat queue. This ties into the the above. I prepare 1 move with a condition and a second move as a backup. If the condition is met for the first move, it activates. If not, the backup move triggers instead.
    4. Zones that are a mix of old and new frontiers. Choke points like the mile gates. Meaning full supply chains and support structures like in NF.
    5. 30+ seconds CC with the means to counter it with buffs that reduce the duration, castable heals that remove it and clickable abilities on a fairly long cool down to personally remove it

Highly agree with number 1 and 2. The melee system in DAoC has yet to be matched for complexity and strategy involved. Choosing debuffs/cc abilities over straight damage, certain procs off certain chains etc. make the combat much more involved and makes the game overall better IMO.

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140

Here is my list of 5, in no particular order;

1. Siege weaponry. Im talking Trebuchets, catapaults, boiling oil cauldrons, battering rams, ballista, mangonels.. the full gamut. Movable, yes but I would say no to reusable. Unless they mix in some sort of crafting upgrade system to the siege weapons, then have a long timer for the breakdown and setup, like 5 minutes for smaller ballista to 10 minutes for trebs.. then yes, I could support reusable.

2. Action game type combat. Perhaps some combo chains or finisher moves? Im not talking mortal combat here, more like TERA.

3. RELICS! OR some variation of them. There has to be an objective to fight over. Bonuses to the realm for controlling them also.

4. Dungeons that are fought over for control of them. I realize the game is RvR first and centered around that, but I do not believe the intent is to have zero PvE. Thus a Darkness Falls type dungeon or more than one would be awesome.

5. Do not, under any circumstances ever re-introduce the mechanic from WAR where casting classes blew themselves up from casting a lot A.K.A. feedback. They are glass cannons and that in itself is the downside. There is no need to punish them further with some lame ass mechanic.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Nibs

Highly agree with number 1 and 2. The melee system in DAoC has yet to be matched for complexity and strategy involved. Choosing debuffs/cc abilities over straight damage, certain procs off certain chains etc. make the combat much more involved and makes the game overall better IMO.

I loved the 4 or 5 move attack chain for my Reaver. The procs along the way were nice and if you ever managed to actually land all 5 moves the final proc could totally turn a close fight around.

I'd also add to my list

6.    Directional shields - shields offer no defence to the rear and limited defence to the sides

7.    Reduced movement speed when strafing

8.    Jumping (and attacks) cost endurance - stop the bunny hopping idiots!

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123

give me pvp tanks with body blocking! :)

thats 2 of the things i loved about warhammer online

never been a fan of 2handers. i like my sword and shield and even more in pvp

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I was going to wait to post about this kind of thing until after the kickstarter announcement because it looks like there will be a lot more concrete information on the game by then. But sure why not?

• The graphics engine should perform very well and be able to handle large (100v100v100) fights without resorting to culling or killing framerate.
    • There should be mechanics in place to encourage players to play on underpopulated or underperforming realms and to make it difficult for one realm to completely dominate its server. These mechanics need to be there on day 1 not put in years later.
    • There should be realm ranks, realm points, and realm abilities. It should take a long time to reach the highest rank. The speed with which you gain ranks should be more like early DAOC than like WAR or modern DAOC. This in effect creates a system of infinite character progression which was a huge part of DAOC's appeal to me.
    • There should be true healing classes along the lines of the 3 primary healers in DAOC. None of this GW 2 crap where everybody heals himself and every class is a hybrid.
    • Each realm should have the same set of important class abilities but they should be distributed to different classes. That makes playing in each realm feel different, creates more classes which is great for alt-a-holics, and makes RvR conflict feel more real because you're not just fighting the same classes you have in your own realm except in different colored uniforms but you're fighting different classes and different races. Yes it makes balancing harder, but that's what devs get paid for.
    • Never reward players for avoiding fights. Only give realm points for killing other players. If you create lots of daily missions to take x number of keeps and so on, then players will inevitably take turns keep swapping and avoid fighting other. NO! NO! NO!
    • There should be some form of speed for traveling around faster without unrealistic porting all over the place. It could be classes with speed chants, mounts, or hasteners at each keep or a combination of them.
    • Be pro-active in fighting speed hackers, radar users, and other cheaters. Don't wait 5 years to do something about it like Mythic did in DAOC.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• VariansVarians Member Posts: 10

1) RvR character progression= RvR-exp, RvR-lvls, RvR-skills - A feeling that I become more powerfull than others

2) 3 realms and 3-sided RvR - The good, the bad and the really ugly

3) Housing zones, with an auction house & mailing option - The warhammer one, was great if u ask me

4) A herald, where we can compete on points - The Uthgard one works perfectly

5) 1 account, 1 realm,o r delete all toons on that realm and re-roll other realm -  no more xrealming, or bandwagoning.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

Basically, my list mirrors many others' lists here-

1. Faction-lock to accounts or servers.

2. Something to appease PvE players ( I hope there is at least SOME sort of PvE system in place ala dungeons/PvP daily quests, ect)

3. No class mirrors. (By this I mean no straight clones of eachother, although having classes that fill the same sub-role across the factions is great with me. WAR seemed to do this well enough I thought.)

4. PvP progression through tiered gear rewards or PvP ranks.

5. Tiered content/RvR zones. Probably the BEST part of WAR for me was that I could jump in at level 1, go out to the RvR lakes and fight, level, get gear, all while fighting other players within my level bracket. The problem with this of course is keeping the different tiers active which is much easier with 3 factions I would imagine.

Mark, I'm glad you posted here. It's a rare thing to see devs come here on a fan forum and get real with the fans. I loved DAoC and WAR (aside from it's various issues, I still think it had some of the best combat of any MMO I've played) and am looking forward to what you guys reveal in the future on CU. Best of luck to you guys.