Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this be an MMO or MOBA?

RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 577

I'm just curious, since so few details are available, is this game going to have pve at all? I'm kinda worried all this is going to be is a 3 sided MOBA style game. With all the rich lore that can be used from the 3 factions I would think it would be a shame with no world beyond walking into the frontiers.

I guess my concern is, if this is moba style, how does character progression function? Do you just get exp for pvp kills and your "realm rank" level is your character level. Even moba's have some limited form of pve. I am completely happy if pve isn't the focus as my favorite games have been daoc and shadowbane, but having it there is still important for a living breathing world feel.

Just curious of what peoples thoughts are on this. I know Mark Jacobs is milling around the forums from time to time so maybe he can answer thi.

Comments

• VioletMaidVioletMaid Member Posts: 2
    nothing moba about it.
  • xSyngexxSyngex Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by VioletMaid
    nothing moba about it.

Nothing mmo about it either..

Originally posted by xSyngex
    nothing moba about it.

This guy is trying to relive his DAoC days. he has learned nothing, wich is appernt, his No pve world idea.. what made DAoC realm pride there MR Jacobs.. Hmmm lvling with my friends sure helped dumb ass..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

We know very little about it but we can be pretty sure its not going to be a moba.. as a moba is basically an rts with the good bits removed..

This will be an MMORPG im pretty sure of that. Its not gonna be for everyone as there will be either very little pve or none at all but he has already stated that this will be a niche game adn not everyone will like it..

I really like what this guy is saying, more devs should think like this.

Originally posted by Caldrin

We know very little about it but we can be pretty sure its not going to be a moba.. as a moba is basically an rts with the good bits removed..

This will be an MMORPG im pretty sure of that.

And an +1 Failure.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It's not a MOBA at all. There are no instanced arenas. The sides aren't forced to have even numbers. It'll be a persistent open world PvP zone with 3 sides with several thousand players per server (exact number depends on how big fights the graphics engine can handle). But unlike games like DAOC and WAR, there won't be any PvE. So you won't have to level to 50 in PvE areas before you can go RvR and you won't have to kill epic PvE mobs to gear up your characters. There undoubtedly will be some form of character progression but how it works isn't clear yet.

There's no announced plans for any PvE. But I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually makes it live and is successful, that they add PvE in later expansions.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Nothing to do with moba, PvP mmo is what it will be.

Lolipops !

This will be an MMORPG im pretty sure of that.

(mod edit)

how it sounds pretty perfect to me.. but the guys says in his interviews not everyone will like this and he is not expecting millions of subs... so im pretty sure it wont fail...

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I'm not sure what a MOBA is, but when I see it, the first thing I think of is MoBoard, giving me flashbacks of calculating True Wind.  *shudder*
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    yes its going to be a moba
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Nothing to do with moba, PvP mmo is what it will be.

(mod edit)

i  disagree 100%, with Marc Jacobs i feel very confident about CU. 

You seem to have an axe to grind with Marc Jacobs, maybe you should do that with him, but not with every person who does not prescribe to your opinion.

Lolipops !

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by meddyck

It's not a MOBA at all. There are no instanced arenas. The sides aren't forced to have even numbers. It'll be a persistent open world PvP zone with 3 sides with several thousand players per server (exact number depends on how big fights the graphics engine can handle). But unlike games like DAOC and WAR, there won't be any PvE. So you won't have to level to 50 in PvE areas before you can go RvR and you won't have to kill epic PvE mobs to gear up your characters. There undoubtedly will be some form of character progression but how it works isn't clear yet.

There's no announced plans for any PvE. But I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually makes it live and is successful, that they add PvE in later expansions.

Can you provide a link to this information?  I have looked around quite a bit and can not seem to nail down any solid information to back up what you are saying here.  Not calling you a liar or anything like that, but you know, the interwebs where anyone can be an experton anything...just ask them.

Anyway, a link to where you got this information would be great.  If that can't happen, no big deal I will just write it off to hopeful speculation and await word from the producers.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by meddyck

Can you provide a link to this information?  I have looked around quite a bit and can not seem to nail down any solid information to back up what you are saying here.  Not calling you a liar or anything like that, but you know, the interwebs where anyone can be an experton anything...just ask them.

Anyway, a link to where you got this information would be great.  If that can't happen, no big deal I will just write it off to hopeful speculation and await word from the producers.

Basically I'm extrapolating from Jacobs' interviews which you can find here and at other main MMO sites that the game will be very similar to DAOC or WAR with the PvE removed. Certainly there's nothing that indicates CU will be closer to LoL than DAOC.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by meddyck It's not a MOBA at all. There are no instanced arenas. The sides aren't forced to have even numbers. It'll be a persistent open world PvP zone with 3 sides with several thousand players per server (exact number depends on how big fights the graphics engine can handle). But unlike games like DAOC and WAR, there won't be any PvE. So you won't have to level to 50 in PvE areas before you can go RvR and you won't have to kill epic PvE mobs to gear up your characters. There undoubtedly will be some form of character progression but how it works isn't clear yet. There's no announced plans for any PvE. But I wouldn't be surprised if this game actually makes it live and is successful, that they add PvE in later expansions.
    Can you provide a link to this information?  I have looked around quite a bit and can not seem to nail down any solid information to back up what you are saying here.  Not calling you a liar or anything like that, but you know, the interwebs where anyone can be an experton anything...just ask them. Anyway, a link to where you got this information would be great.  If that can't
    happen, no big deal I will just write it off to hopeful speculation and await word from the producers.

(mod edit)

The game hasn't even been started yet. Can you at least wait before spewing hatred for the guy and CU? Perhaps you aren't his target subscriber. If that's the case just ignore the Camelot Unchained forums, maybe?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Moba is dumbed down rts to make it simplier and easier to play and is quite repetetive, so hope not.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    nothing moba about it.

I was looking forward to it but when I found its a RvR only game then all interest was lost.  I have no desire to progress soley though PvP, no matter how good it may be.  Like you said, nothing MM oabout it.  It might as well be a FPS for all I care.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How's it not a MMO?

You don't have to have pve to be a mmo.

It's the rpg part that's missing not the mmo part.

Kinda the opposite of all these lobby and instance games like wow, swtor and tsw.
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    /Shrugs, I for one, can't wait.
    Originally posted by Tyrantas
    Moba is dumbed down rts to make it simplier and easier to play and is quite repetetive, so hope not.

You know thats exactly how i think of a MOBA.. an RTS game with all the good bits removed..

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How's it not a MMO?

Kinda the opposite of all these lobby and instance games like wow, swtor and tsw.

how do you know the RPG elements are missing?

but even if thats the case and its a fantasy version of planetside then thats not a bad thing either hehe :)

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How's it not a MMO?

how do you know the RPG elements are missing?

but even if thats the case and its a fantasy version of planetside then thats not a bad thing either hehe :)

From the interviews he said that progression will be based in RvR, not PvE, and that there will be classes with roles. That implies an RPG. 

And of course it will be an MMO, that's a silly question. Mark Jacobs is one of the only devs who still remembers what an MMO is. He doesn't like instancing. 

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Stop messing with the mobas! Dota 2 has deeper gameplay than any mmorpg you have played.

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 577

There is nothing wrong with MOBA's but they aren't MMO's and they don't have "deep" gameplay anymore than any mmo does. I've been playing them since original defense of the ancients mod (dota, dota2, lol, hon, smite, and sins of a dark age).

However with the info released thus far it doesn't appear to be a MOBA. More of a persistant world pvp only MMO. Something in the vein of Planetside 2 in a camelot setting except maybe with some minecrafty sandbox building elements. I made this thread before much info started trickling out. I'd still prefer if there was a little pve in it to feel your character advances but I'm still intrigued by this.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I know.. it's a MMOBA!

Seriously though, from what limited info we have so far, I am disappointed.  I wouldn't have given DAoC a second glance if you just jumped straight to RvR on the first day.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by redcapp

I know.. it's a MMOBA!

Seriously though, from what limited info we have so far, I am disappointed.  I wouldn't have given DAoC a second glance if you just jumped straight to RvR on the first day.

Your not alone and i hope they decide to extend development by a few years to include pve. Sadly this doesn't look likely.

Im sure the pvp players will love the idea initially, but longevity? Im not convinced.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)