Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this a F2P DAOC version or.....?

AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
I am not quite understanding if this is some sort of F2P DAOC version or something totally new.....

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Completely new project.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• darthbuhdarthbuh Member UncommonPosts: 24

Posted from the interview with Mark Jacobs:

MMORPG: What about monetization? The interview with our friends from Massively says you're definitely eyeing a subscription model.  Why is that?

Mark Jacobs: I believe, as always, that there is room for different monetization models in our industry. I’ve been a long-standing member of the “I love subscription-based games” model and since I’m going for a niche audience, I think it makes sense to use that model again. I really don’t want to create a game that has to figure out how to get a small percentage of people to pay for a game while the largest percentage of them will not pay for the game even if it’s great. In addition, since this game is geared to RvR, I believe we would end up with having to support a lot of people who are just “kicking the tires” and have no intention of being long-time player. Now, if the game is PvE –based, that’s not so bad. However, if you are trying to build a Community, that influx of players could hurt it.

Retired: WoW (Cataclysm), SWTOR (pre-F2P), Champions Online, City of Heroes, RIFT, Age of Conan (pre-F2P)
    On Hold: FFXIV Heavensward, Blade and Soul, Firefall
  • CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

As quoted above...

From the context of the interview he and his team have a lot to deliver.

I enjoy the fact that he is going for the niche crew and not aiming to pull in drastic subscription numbers.

DAOC2 indeed, I'm excited, though the entire world map is a bit of a throw-off. Are they suggesting that we will spread out from the original mythical lands of the three realms?

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by AC1074
    I am not quite understanding if this is some sort of F2P DAOC version or something totally new.....

It will be a brand new game that is not a direct sequel to DAOC. It will have some major things in common in DAOC in that it will have 3 realms based on Arthurian, Celtic, and Norse mythology and a similar RvR system. Jacobs says it will have a monthly sub but perhaps will be cheaper than the usual $14.95. But the game is a long way from being released so that could change since the genre is moving more and more away from sub-based games.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by meddyck

Originally posted by AC1074 I am not quite understanding if this is some sort of F2P DAOC version or something totally new.....
    It will be a brand new game that is not a direct sequel to DAOC. It will have some major things in common in DAOC in that it will have 3 realms based on Arthurian, Celtic, and Norse mythology and a similar RvR system. Jacobs says it will have a monthly sub but perhaps will be cheaper than the usual $14.95. But the game is a long way from being released so that could change since the genre is moving more and more away from sub-based games.

I remember you Meddyck. I was on Midgard side on Guinevere.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by CommoX

As quoted above...

From the context of the interview he and his team have a lot to deliver.

I enjoy the fact that he is going for the niche crew and not aiming to pull in drastic subscription numbers.

DAOC2 indeed, I'm excited, though the entire world map is a bit of a throw-off. Are they suggesting that we will spread out from the original mythical lands of the three realms?

It's not DAoC2, forget DAoC, forget it's maps, forget it's factions, forget it's locations, this will be a completely new game.

DAoC 2 will never be made, forget it.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• GrumpyBuddhaGrumpyBuddha Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Well, this seeems a lot like DAOC 2 to me.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by GrumpyBuddha
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Well, this seeems a lot like DAOC 2 to me.

They can't afford the license for one thing, they would likely never be allowed to purchase it for another (see the 10 year anniversary video's and conversations with the current devs, they stated this clearly at the time).

If people begin expecting this to be the mythical DAoC 2 it'll just lead to eventual disappointment.

It may seem like it true enough, but it simply won't be DAoC 2.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    I've never really played DAoC much, only tried it for a few mins, but it seems cool. If this game had the 3 faction system and RvR then I def am Interested. I also like the fact that developers want to use the subscription method instead of a cash shop or something other "Free" games are starting to use. I do think that if this game takes a long time to develope, say...well into 2015 before we can play it, it might be a bit difficult for people to see paying a subscription for a game seeing as most are going free to play now. Hopefully subscriptions are lowered to $10 or so by then to interest people more.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I’ve been a long-standing member of the “I love subscription-based games” model and since I’m going for a niche audience, I think it makes sense to use that model again. I really don’t want to create a game that has to figure out how to get a small percentage of people to pay for a game while the largest percentage of them will not pay for the game even if it’s great.

I like this guy already!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by darthbuh

Posted from the interview with Mark Jacobs:

MMORPG: What about monetization? The interview with our friends from Massively says you're definitely eyeing a subscription model.  Why is that?

Mark Jacobs: I believe, as always, that there is room for different monetization models in our industry. I’ve been a long-standing member of the “I love subscription-based games” model and since I’m going for a niche audience, I think it makes sense to use that model again. I really don’t want to create a game that has to figure out how to get a small percentage of people to pay for a game while the largest percentage of them will not pay for the game even if it’s great. In addition, since this game is geared to RvR, I believe we would end up with having to support a lot of people who are just “kicking the tires” and have no intention of being long-time player. Now, if the game is PvE –based, that’s not so bad. However, if you are trying to build a Community, that influx of players could hurt it.

All I want to know is, "where has this mark J been?" definitly not in his last three games. Maybe having nothing now has humbled him. Don't know, still a wait and see to me, his past is not impressive with the community , he butt heads with many of us and it is a hard thing to just forget and forgive. You might prove me wrong Mark, maybe you have finally learned a real lesson here.

DAOC to this day was the best in the genre and I stick to that with mark or not at the helm. It takes more then one to make a great game, DAOC was a great game invisioned by Mark, I conceed to his grand designing skills, but nothing else. I hold great respects for the old DAOC team thou.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by chaintm 

All I want to know is, "where has this mark J been?" definitly not in his last three games. Maybe having nothing now has humbled him. Don't know, still a wait and see to me, his past is not impressive with the community , he butt heads with many of us and it is a hard thing to just forget and forgive. You might prove me wrong Mark, maybe you have finally learned a real lesson here.

DAOC to this day was the best in the genre and I stick to that with mark or not at the helm. It takes more then one to make a great game, DAOC was a great game invisioned by Mark, I conceed to his grand designing skills, but nothing else. I hold great respects for the old DAOC team thou.

It is all about the cash.  Developers can't create what they want while being under the thumb of some penny pusher.  I don't know if he has made mistakes in the past, but not going through a publisher will allow his team a lot more developmental freedom.  

• CiubhranCiubhran Member Posts: 5

For those of you who cannot wait for CU to launch (which will be years from now), there is a remedy...

A project called Uthgard (google it).

Some german guys have spent the last 8 years maintaining a server that is almost purely SI. 

It's really good!

The only real problem is that the RAs are ToA. But the rest is SI, even the frontier zones are classic!

It's free, so if you feel nostalgic about playing DAoC from back in 2004, you should go try it out!

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629
    So this game won't have PvE?

I was eating up every bit of the camelot unchained blog, but it's an RvR game in camelot universe. It's almost like when id software made quake 3 arena only this is an RvR MMORPG. i.e. A medieval fantasy massively multiplayer team fortress with oldschool styled levels and classes and forts.