Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want this game bad now..

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

After watching this video I am very impressed. Its kinda like daoc each faction has their own zone, then in the center is cyrodil. The combat seems nice, I just hope they add some kind of advancement system to thge pvp like daoc had. Watch the video, if you have not seen it, it has alot of info.

When I first heard about ESO I figured it'd just be ESO the wow game, but as the alpha shows this can only get better.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Siveria

After watching this video I am very impressed. Its kinda like daoc each faction has their own zone, then in the center is cyrodil. The combat seems nice, I just hope they add some kind of advancement system to thge pvp like daoc had. Watch the video, if you have not seen it, it has alot of info.

When I first heard about ESO I figured it'd just be ESO the wow game, but as the alpha shows this can only get better.

"Yes we have a PVP progression system that we haven't really talked about yet," says Firor. "And in beta we'll go further into this, but you get Alliance Points the more you PVP, you get more abilities, and in that sense it's similar to Camelot where we had Realm Points."

link

:)

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Hmm

Each faction is limited to a relatively small area, less than a WoW single continent.  It's not an open world for PVE exploration, and it's also not an open world for PVP.

The combat looks really bad (ref trailers, small clips where fight occurs from the frontside, not the backside).  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.

Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything (Zenimax statement) .. you just stand there and watch others hit you while you graphically-less do damage.

But by all means, advertise away!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Rayzer235Rayzer235 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Yea I felt the same way a when I saw SWTOR look how that turned out. (Quit SWTOR)
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Karteli

Hmm

Each faction is limited to a relatively small area, less than a WoW single continent.  It's not an open world for PVE exploration, and it's also not an open world for PVP.

The combat looks really bad.  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.

Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything .. you just stand there,

This again? Damn you guys dont quit...

Yes there is faction lock - which is GOOD.

Now where does it say that areas are "less than wow single continent" - cyrodiil alone is 1:1 to oblivion - are you crazy?

And please show us the footage of the game cause we only have alphas and specially that first person mode you talk about.

Why do people talk about stuff they know nothing about?

-

now regarding that video, op... you can become a vampire or a werewolf as a "perk". Theres a newer video around that they say you can.

And dont listen to haters... these guys destroy any good community and bring out the worse in you - yes TESO hopefully will be a great great mmo from what the devs have shown and told so far.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Hmm

The combat looks really bad.  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.

Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything .. you just stand there,

Now where does it say that areas are "less than wow single continent" - cyrodiil alone is 1:1 to oblivion - are you crazy?

And please show us the footage of the game cause we only have alphas and specially that first person mode you talk about.

-

now regarding that video, op... you can become a vampire or a werewolf as a "perk". Theres a newer video around that they say you can.

And dont listen to haters... these guys destroy any good community and bring out the worse in you - yes TESO hopefully will be a great great mmo from what the devs have shown and told so far.

I just hope they do vampireism right, A vampire is stronger when FED, not when they are starving, ES games have always had this shit ass backwards, and I've always had to use a mod to fix it, that and I use another mod usually that gets rid of sun damage, but also weakens me to the point where I am bascally a very slightly stronger version of that race, till I get indoors then all my normal vampy stuff works.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Hmm

-

Did you even check out the map for the gameworld of TESO?  Did you really think than Cyrodiil is magically smaller than other areas with known size?

Watch the trailers man.  Lame footage when it comes to combat.  I showed the trailer to my buddies and we all agree combat was pretty freakin lame.  Frontal combat scenes were shown in 2 spots in the last 9 minute trailer.  Beyond that it was always from the backside, with huge whooptie-doo particle effects to make the scene look interesting.

We rewound and looked at the short clips with frontal combat, and we all agreed that it looked pretty stupid.  There wasn't much animation, just WoW style fighting, swing clubs - hit or miss, still graphically the same.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Hmm

-

Did you even check out the map for the gameworld of TESO?  Did you really think than Cyrodiil is magically smaller than other areas with known size?

Watch the trailers man.  Lame footage when it comes to combat.  I showed the trailer to my buddies and we all agree combat was pretty freakin lame.  Frontal combat scenes were shown in 2 spots in the last 9 minute trailer.  Beyond that it was always from the backside, with huge whooptie-doo particle effects to make the scene look interesting.

Oblivion is over half the size of kalimdor, we get that plus our faction zones each, so unless you are saying our entire pve leveling area (per faction) is smaller than the pvp map, we will get access to more than a vanilla continent.

Hmm

-

We rewound and looked at the short clips with frontal combat, and we all agreed that it looked pretty stupid.  There wasn't much animation, just WoW style fighting, swing clubs - hit or miss, still graphically the same.

I like colors too... specially CGA - makes me look old school.

Now... I dont know where you're trying to get with the first question: Cyrodiil is 1:1 to oblivion's cyrodiil. Its a fact. But... what "magically smaller"? Skyrim is smaller than cyrodiil... Morrowind is roughly the same size of cyrodiil... elsweyr is smaller,... whats your point? Its not smaller... Its the same size it has always been in any elder scrolls map... bigger than some, same size as some... hope your not talking about the "blur map" with the arrows pointing inside. That would be just ridiculous to point out as a "TESO MAP" lol... thats called a "diagram".

I havent seen any footage of first person.

Considering all you've seen was alpha... I dont think you should make any assumptions regarding animations. What you thought the full animations were done, perfected and polished in an alpha stage? lol... really? Listen theres also this guy with a crooked neck in the "invasion" part of the trailer just before they take the wall down and charge in... and... you think that crooked neck is staying there? Thats it? That is the final product?

I wonder what games have you all been playing cause this alpha looks better than released games out there.

And btw... if theres one thing well done in wow is the fluid animations. Either actions or simple idle, the wow characters are pretty fluid - actually thats pretty much the only good part of wow for me - animations are well done and some are even pretty gracious considering that female characters there have the hands with the elegance of a 2 meter tall farmer.

Originally posted by deakon

Hmm

-

Oblivion is over half the size of kalimdor, we get that plus our faction zones each, so unless you are saying our entire pve leveling area (per faction) is smaller than the pvp map, we will get access to more than a vanilla continent.

I'd say, no Oblivion isn't.  Maps of size show otherwise, as you have seen already.

It's more like Cyrodiil is about 1/3 the size of a WoW continent.  If you don't like seeing facts, then stop bringing it up.

So, Cyrodiil can hold 2000 players?  Mmm Hmm ...

Oblivion is NOT half the size of a WoW continent.  Devs stated TESO was a 1:1 comparison to Oblivion.

Hmm

-

< SNIP >

I havent seen any footage

< SNIP >

Good enough.

If you didn't bother to watch the trailer in which I commented on, what qualifies you to defend this game?

Watch the trailer.  Look for those parts.  Imagining them up just to defend about how the game is in alpha is hardly worthy of a comment.  Please, know what you are talking about.  If you are talking about 1st person gaming, there will be no weapon animations (ie zoomed in).  Zenimax statement, do you really need footage for that? lol <stare at a mob and watch hps go down>

Hmm

-

Now... I dont know where you're trying to get with the first question: Cyrodiil is 1:1 to oblivion's cyrodiil. Its a fact. But... what "magically smaller"? Skyrim is smaller than cyrodiil... Morrowind is roughly the same size of cyrodiil... elsweyr is smaller,... whats your point? Its not smaller... Its the same size it has always been in any elder scrolls map... bigger than some, same size as some... hope your not talking about the "blur map" with the arrows pointing inside. That would be just ridiculous to point out as a "TESO MAP" lol... thats called a "diagram".

Just another comment on this matter.  This is the map for TESO.

Show me Where faction land masses are massively bigger than Cyrodiil?  One is, obviously, as you mentioned, but the others? Hmm .. and considering Cyrodiil is 1/3 the size of a WoW continent .. maybe 1/2 if you take error into account.

That doesn't say very much for each factions explorable region.  Each faction gets to explore 1/3 to 1/2 of a WoW continent before they hit artificial barriers?  In MMORPG's, that is really flippin small.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    Originally posted by Rayzer235
    Yea I felt the same way a when I saw SWTOR look how that turned out. (Quit SWTOR)

YUP i agree 100% i for one wont be buying this game...a game that restricts you out of areas that you paid full price for is not for me. Shur u can make other alts but thats not me i believe in the 1 char system. 

Hmm

-

< SNIP >

I havent seen any footage

< SNIP >

Good enough.

If you didn't bother to watch the trailer in which I commented on, what qualifies you to defend this game?

Watch the trailer.  Look for those parts.  Imagining them up just to defend about how the game is in alpha is hardly worthy of a comment.  Please, know what you are talking about.  If you are talking about 1st person gaming, there will be no weapon animations (ie zoomed in).  Zenimax statement, do you really need footage for that? lol

Problem is... I've seen all the trailers and didnt see the stuff you're talking about. I've seen an alpha "treat" to make ppl drool... and it did. The errors I've seen wasnt errors, its an alpha and yes, contrary to what you think, that actually matters. They release something for us that for them is actually outdated.

Or show me that video you're talking about.

As for first person... well... http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/24/dive-into-the-eso-preview-event-coverage says it has it... and... I didnt see any statement from zenimax saying your weapon will not show up...

On the official forums it says that the devs are working on making weapons visible...

Are you on an alternate universe? Or me...?

Seriously... your info has NOTHING to do with mine.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Scypheroth
    Originally posted by Rayzer235 Yea I felt the same way a when I saw SWTOR look how that turned out. (Quit SWTOR)
    YUP i agree 100% i for one wont be buying this game...a game that restricts you out of areas that you paid full price for is not for me. Shur u can make other alts but thats not me i believe in the 1 char system. 

Think of it this way, I just bought dragonborn how much would it suck to 're-roll' to get to the new area.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I see a few people here and there (not the majority for sure) saying faction locks is a good thing.

Exactly how...?  This is the worst idea i've heard in a long time.  I am still somewhat interested in the game, but don't make this out to be some genius development plan when it's just something that limits the player in a game series that is traditionally all about NOT limiting the player.  It's pure fail.

Problem is... I've seen all the trailers and didnt see the stuff you're talking about. I've seen an alpha "treat" to make ppl drool... and it did. The errors I've seen wasnt errors, its an alpha and yes, contrary to what you think, that actually matters. They release something for us that for them is actually outdated.

As for first person... well... http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/news/post/2012/10/24/dive-into-the-eso-preview-event-coverage says it has it... and... I didnt see any statement from zenimax saying your weapon will not show up...

On the official forums it says that the devs are working on making weapons visible...

Well if you need me to hold you to show you exactly the parts of the trailer, I can.  But please, let down you fanboism ..I showed the trailer to Skyrim fans and even they picked out the cruddy combat.

You won't see weapons in 1st person mode.  That statement was already made by Zenimax.

OK, so you want proof to compensate for your disconnect with releases and the press.  Stay on this thread, I'll post them.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    After seeing that Just Cause 2 map (recommended you play it just for seeing that map) and knowing it was done with Procedural Generation I wonder if they used any in ESO or if it's all done by hand? Would be cool to know how they are making the world. I wonder how close they are making the provinces from the previous games?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Hmm

The combat looks really bad (ref trailers, small clips where fight occurs from the frontside, not the backside).  Just avatars swinging weapons at each other lifelessly, with a huge amount of particle effects to make the encounter look lively.  People who know games look past the particle effects.

Going into TES first person mode won't even show weapons or swings or anything (Zenimax statement) .. you just stand there and watch others hit you while you graphically-less do damage.

Source for your material?

Ohh thats right you have none, your purely speculating to advance your own personal agenda.  The zones are the same size as the single player games which are relatively big.  Plus each faction has 3 zones to explore so your automatically incorrect.  On a related note it isnt even the size that matters its the content thats in it.  Everyone thats ever played a bethesda game knows the zones are chalk full of explorable nooks and crannys.  Cant go 2 mins in skyrim without having 3-4 POI's on your compass to explore and god knows in a year and a half of me playing there has been alot of replayability due to the sheer amount of explorable content.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

Hmm

Ohh thats right you have none, your purely speculating to advance your own personal agenda.  The zones are the same size as the single player games which are relatively big.  Plus each faction has 3 zones to explore so your automatically incorrect.  On a related note it isnt even the size that matters its the content thats in it.  Everyone thats ever played a bethesda game knows the zones are chalk full of explorable nooks and crannys.  Cant go 2 mins in skyrim without having 3-4 POI's on your compass to explore and god knows in a year and a half of me playing there has been alot of replayability due to the sheer amount of explorable content.

(RED) Keep telling yourself that as you hype up for relase!   Everyone knows MMORPG content is more detailed than single player games!

btw, the source is in the maps I posted, indicating size.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Hmm

(RED) Keep telling yourself that as you hype up for relase!   Everyone knows MMORPG content is more detailed than single player games!

btw, the source is in the maps I posted, indicating size.

The only source you gave is showing that the oblivion map isn't half the size of a WoW continent... You provided none about everything else you said.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

Everyone knows MMORPG content is more detailed than single player games!

I've seen too many MMOs with little to no content to automatically believe that. Even those that claim to have more often end up with a lot of zones that end up feeling almost identical in terms of content,with the only differences being higher stats and different skins on the mobs, and so-called end game content is even worse in that department. In the meantime, many single players games recently have proven that having a dedicated storyline doesn't mean a lack of content; even the plain out of the box Skyrim experience contains as much unique content as many MMO's and Dragon Age wasn't all that far behind some of the F2P MMOs being released today. And those are just the single player games I have personal experience with; I'm sure others could cite other examples where the line between single player content and MMO content is not so clear.

On your first portion, questioning combat, see the trailer:

The Elder Scrolls Online Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEipFtHw7o

With notes to 2:25 and 4:45.  All combat inbetween seems rather lame, actually.  Most combat scenes in the trailer are from the back end so you can't see the horrible animations.  They are "prettied" up with a bunch of sparkly particle effects.

I had my gripes with SWTOR, but they did choreographed combat (animating dodges, hits, evades, blocks, reflects, etc) showing every combat move, graphically.  I'd consider ESO comwhere around EQ or WoW.

--

On the second note about not being able to see your hands / weapons:

Elder Scrolls Online’s game director explains how you’ll be a standout badass among badasses

Wed, Jan 30, 2013

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/elder-scrolls-onlines-game-director-explains-how-youll-be-a-standout-badass

The Elder Scrolls Online beta isn’t live yet, but sign-ups are underway and developers ZeniMax Online are prepping for the influx of players. But before Khajiit, High Elf, Argonian and Breton start to conquer Tamriel, the Report asked game director Matt Firor to shed some light on the world of Elder Scrolls Online.

Porting a previously single-player experience to the MMO space can be tricky, especially with a property loved by so many. Game play changes have to be made – you can move the camera to first-person in ESO, but you won’t see your hands or weapons as in previous games, and the realistic visuals have been dropped – and in an MMO space, you might be sharing the role of hero with hundreds, if not thousands of other players.

There ya go !  Pretty sad, eh?  Then again, perhaps one of us is living in an alternate universe!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I don't always agree with Kartelli but he's thorough... and yeah, the combat looks pretty rigid now that you mention it.  There's no follow-through at all, it's like once they hit the enemy, the animation stops prematurely.  It looks a bit outdated, but like the faction locks, it just doesn't scream "Elder Scrolls".  The rest looks pretty good though.

As an addendum, the no graphical weapons or hands in first person mode was covered last week on GamebreakerTV's TWIMMO:

This link should take you right to the portion:

TWIMMO (This Week in MMO) EP130: PlanetSide 2, The Elder Scrolls Online and Neverwinter

Published on Feb 2, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqgD6HRbWsI&feature=player_detailpage#t=1344s

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Hmm

Totally disagree with this poster, but so will most people, so Id ignore him...especially because of his references to size (which is inaccurate) and associating that with exploration because we all know that just because a world is big (SWTOR) doesn't mean there is any sense of exploration and Skyrim, though not a huge world, was cleverly designed in more of a vertical way as well (mountains, etc) that made it feel much bigger than it really was. I think the combat looks in a very good state and the graphics/artistry for an MMO look awesome. Talk about egocentric..."People who know games"...baiting at its best.

There Is Always Hope!