Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ANet misses the scheduled WvW update for Feb

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Atleast they annouced it... I'm sure they will still lose some pvprs, but they learned from what swtor did, cutting much need pvp features the night before patch day. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    IMO they should have just focused on all the culling problems. If they ever got it 100% functional, I'd come back in a heartbeat. Ah well. Too bad.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    IMO they should have just focused on all the culling problems. If they ever got it 100% functional, I'd come back in a heartbeat. Ah well. Too bad.

The recent patch fixed some of the problems. It's not getting rid of culling persay, but it's more akin to how other games handle large amounts of players. It now loads in low-res player models, instead of just making people invisible. 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Volkon

I would think the degree of upset a resonable customer might have would be based with the explanation, though, wouldn't you? If they simply said it wouldn't be ready or were going to leave out things promised that would be one thing. However Colin gives a reasonable and detailed explanation of what's going on. I give credit where I see it due, and if it takes a few more weeks for the polish and shine phase to produce a bug-free release I'm willing to give it those few more weeks. Besides, it's hardly worth wasting the emotion over this... it's a release date for a little more content in a game being pushed out by a few weeks. Those kinds of things hardly draw more than a raised eyebrow... certainly not a notable emotional response. Sandy Brook - emotional response. 9/11 - emotional response. GW2 delays WvW update a few weeks... ok, I'll wait.

Telling the customer 'you shouldn't be upset' in this case is probably not going to be accepted by most people.

If a company doesn't meet a deadline that they themselves set, a 'reasonable person' can accept that a customer might be upset.

That doesn't mean one is upset personally but one can understand those that do. Remind me why anyone should be critical of a negatively slanted post? Sorry, but I am not GW2 PR.

And did you just compare GW2 to 9/11? What...the... ??? /facepalm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by jpnz

Telling the customer 'you shouldn't be upset' in this case is probably not going to be accepted by most people.

If a company doesn't meet a deadline that they themselves set, a 'reasonable person' can accept that a customer might be upset.

That doesn't mean one is upset personally but one can understand those that do. Remind me why anyone should be critical of a negatively slanted post? Sorry, but I am not GW2 PR.

You are again overreacting.

Hell, im still waiting for ANY promised features in SWTOR and its been over a year lol. THAT is the thing "customer might be upset about" not few weeks delay lol

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Originally posted by IPolygon
    So many months (since release) without a single content update for WvW and now we see an indefinate push back (again). It's pretty obvious ANet doesn't care for WvW in the least. There is nothing but promises and excuses to keep you entertained until TESO comes out. Hopefully other devs know how to support an RvRvR format

I guess in your rush to spew more anti-GW2 venom you failed to actually read the post above by Colin which tells a completely different tale.

Oh, you mean we still get expansion worth of content? I don't.

Fact 1: There has been no single content update for WvW since release (unlike PvE and sPvP). And no, I don't count breakout events as content.

Fact 2: WvW is in a sorry state and ANet doesn't care - obviously.

Fact 3: I am sick and tired of ANet tales. They are just that, tales.
    Originally posted by IPolygon Oh, you mean we still get expansion worth of content? I don't.

Fact 1: There has been no single content update for WvW since release (unlike PvE and sPvP). And no, I don't count breakout events as content.

Fact 2: WvW is in a sorry state and ANet doesn't care - obviously.

Fact 3: I am sick and tired of ANet tales. They are just that, tales.

There were significant improvements in culling departement. And that matters only in WvWvW. First things first.

Originally posted by mikahr

You are again overreacting.

Hell, im still waiting for ANY promised features in SWTOR and its been over a year lol. THAT is the thing "customer might be upset about" not few weeks delay lol

Overreacting implies I am upset at this which if you look at my post isn't.

Is it negative? Sure! Cause a company didn't deliver what they said.

However, that doesn't mean I don't see the logic if people do.

Seriously not understanding why I'm getting shouted at for a negative post. A company didn't do what they said they would do.

Why is anyone having trouble understanding that most reasonable people will not be super-happy about it?

Is it really rocket science? o_O

Sorry, but I don't work for GW2 PR; which probably have their hands anyway ever since an ANet dev used the F word on twitter to GW2 players. And then refused to back down. /facepalm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Overreacting implies I am upset at this which if you look at my post isn't.

Is it negative? Sure! Cause a company didn't deliver what they said.

However, that doesn't mean I don't see the logic if people do.

Seriously not understanding why I'm getting shouted at for a negative post. A company didn't do what they said they would do.

Why is anyone having trouble understanding that most reasonable people will not be super-happy about it?

Is it really rocket science? o_O

Sorry, but I don't work for GW2 PR; which probably have their hands anyway ever since an ANet dev used the F word on twitter to GW2 players. And then refused to back down. /facepalm

Your consideration for other people is commendable.

Most reasonable people are also logical people that you claim wont be upset (as you arent) and will understand that small delay is nothing to get upset about.

Noone is actually happy with any delay, but in no way most people get overly upset about it so your worries are welcome but unnecessary.

Your consideration for other people is commendable.

Most reasonable people are also logical people that you claim wont be upset (as you arent) and will understand that small delay is nothing to get upset about.

Noone is actually happy with any delay, but in no way most people get overly upset about it so your worries are welcome but unnecessary.

All my posts were explaining why my OP was negative and why fanboys shouting at people who were upset by this shouldn't shout at them; just look at this thread.

You should keep on speaking for other people by the way. I hear that really convinces people and doesn't come through as arrogant at all. ROFL.

Gdemami -

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Upcoming-WvW-Updates/first#post1385839

ANet will miss the scheduled WvW update for this month and is now targetting 'March'.

Knowing ANet's schedules and how they managed to keep them (not a whole lot so far), I wouldn't put it pass them to miss the March release as well. Or put it in the game at a broken / buggy state and try to patch it later; 'Culling' comes to mind.

Not sure why ANet consistantly bungles the 'WvW' area so much.

Feb is going to be a pretty barren month in terms of new content for GW2 players. Not something I (as a GW2 player) want to hear as I always want to hear 'here's more content / skins / STUFF tomorrow!'

They've been good about meeting their monthly deadlines, actually, so I don't know where that is coming from. The game at release and it's monthly patches have had very few bugs and usually any serious bugs are fixed with in a couple days, if not hours. "Culling. Well, yeah, there are WvW issues with culling, which is one thing they are working on fixing. You lose points for throwing in the the latest watch word for anti-GW2 talking points. Nice heads up for astute readers though.

WvW has not been bungled. A good many people still enjoy it immensly and have been enjoying it since launch. Fixes for the culling issues and new reward structures should give it a large boost of added longevity and play incentive.

February is not going to be a barren month. The living story is supposed to start to get into full swing for February, which is all free content. They may also add to the Laurel vendors. I'm not sure on the timeline for ala carte dailies and Laurels for Achievment Points, but it's possible we might see those in February as well.

I'd much rather have them take the time needed to get the WvW changes working really well than have things rushed.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the post launch development on this MMO is about the best in quality and quantity via free monthly updates out of any AAA MMO ever. Anyone who would complain about what they've been able to accomplish with this game hasn't played many MMOs, or has another agenda.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I doubt seriously we'll see any new metas either which is the biggest thing they advertised in this game it was all about DE metas throughout the prelaunch interviews.

They'll prolly have more fixes for dungeons again. sigh. Definitely NOT the best ever I agree, they could have kept their word about what they'd planned on doing post launch instead of skipping around, focusing on things they said this game would never be, and trying to play catchup eternally by mismanaging their resources.

Originally posted by fiontar

/snip

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the post launch development on this MMO is about the best in quality and quantity via free monthly updates out of any AAA MMO ever. Anyone who would complain about what they've been able to accomplish with this game hasn't played many MMOs, or has another agenda.

This is a quality post so lets break it down shall we.

'Good at meeting their monthly deadlines'. - How's that "FOV" coming along btw? How's that 'more Ascended gear distribution methods' coming along?

'it's monthly patches have had very few bugs' - You mean like the 'The Lost Shores' event?

'WvW has not been bungled.' - LOLWUT? WvW has been given some god-awful support compared to other areas. When you give advantages to players with 'eye-infinity' with 3 monitors, something's up. When people went and fought the Halloween boss just to fix their FOV before going into WvW so they aren't at a dis-advantaged, something might be up. Just saying. I actually had another player say that seeing more than your opponent is not an advantage which is just 'facepalm' material.

Other than the 'breakout' event, what have they changed? Oh the only other thing they added was 'culling' which is so great. I mean.. yeah.

Only content for Feb that might be possible is the Flame and Frost and even then, ANet hasn't said it'll swing into gear this month.

They added a bunch of daily's; I'll give you that. They added a bunch of dailys.

Gdemami -

This is a quality post so lets break it down shall we.

'Good at meeting their monthly deadlines'. - How's that "FOV" coming along btw? How's that 'more Ascended gear distribution methods' coming along?

'it's monthly patches have had very few bugs' - You mean like the 'The Lost Shores' event?

'WvW has not been bungled.' - LOLWUT? WvW has been given some god-awful support compared to other areas. When you give advantages to players with 'eye-infinity' with 3 monitors, something's up. When people went and fought the Halloween boss just to fix their FOV before going into WvW so they aren't at a dis-advantaged, something might be up. Just saying. I actually had another player say that seeing more than your opponent is not an advantage which is just 'facepalm' material.

Other than the 'breakout' event, what have they changed? Oh the only other thing they added was 'culling' which is so great. I mean.. yeah.

Only content for Feb that might be possible is the Flame and Frost and even then, ANet hasn't said it'll swing into gear this month.

They added a bunch of daily's; I'll give you that. They added a bunch of dailys.

If you are not satisfied with FREE monthly content updates in B2P game you can always move to sub based 6 months cycle updates game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by xArsonistx

God, I never played a game in which enemys and mobs disappear or don't even render right in front of you. I really just can't wrap my head around this game even making it out of beta just fuckin mind boggling. I have so much hate torwards this game because of culling. Wish I could get my money back. Guess I should look into selling my account.

I never played war or swtor so I didnt know what culling was. Now I know tho and I will never play a game with such a trash feature ever again.

i had similar problems w WOW during its first year of release - due to server lag

being attacked by mobs i couldnt see or mobs corpses not rendering so i couldnt loot them

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Hmmm dunno, might be wrong, but this stinks of troll thread miles away ...

childish whine?check ..

"delusional fanbois" offense?check...

pontless hysteria? check

yeah it's a troll all right

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I haven't logged in since November, which is a shame because I do like the game.

Anet however, seem to be going the same direction as Trion did with Rift - focussing too much on PvE and not catering enough to the PvP players.

For a lot of people, that may be fine. Myself, I find zero fun in PvE, spent all my time in WvW and just couldn't progress my character any further without being forced to PvE.

So they want to polish the WvW updates... maybe they should have put more resources into it rather than continue to widen the gap between PvP players and PvE.

Originally posted by jacklo

I haven't logged in since November, which is a shame because I do like the game.

Anet however, seem to be going the same direction as Trion did with Rift - focussing too much on PvE and not catering enough to the PvP players.

For a lot of people, that may be fine. Myself, I find zero fun in PvE, spent all my time in WvW and just couldn't progress my character any further without being forced to PvE.

So they want to polish the WvW updates... maybe they should have put more resources into it rather than continue to widen the gap between PvP players and PvE.

Just wait till those are in if you absolutely need those to play it. Noone says you have to play it every day, or even month.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Feb is going to be a pretty barren month in terms of new content for GW2 players. Not something I (as a GW2 player) want to hear as I always want to hear 'here's more content / skins / STUFF tomorrow!'

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/the-game/releases/february-2013/

Doesn't look very barren to me.....

New sPvP map, more story content, guild missions, 2 team rated pvp and an update to achievements. Yes, so very barren.

GW2 has had more content in its monthly updates than most MMOs manage in 3 months.

They need more time to make sure that the WvW changes are good, get over it.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    I don't see any point to this thread. ANet Pretty busy and it seems like they have been listening to their community. I really could see complaints being deserved, but since this is a B2P it's not like you can't take a break on those 80's then show up when they patch it. Plus they have an expansion they have been working hard on, so more good stuff for the fans.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

Just wait till those are in if you absolutely need those to play it. Noone says you have to play it every day, or even month.

Well that's fine, at least I'm not paying while I'm not playing.

Sad though that something that was marketed as a PvP orientated game, just isn't.

Originally posted by NC-John
    I don't see any point to this thread. ANet Pretty busy and it seems like they have been listening to their community. I really could see complaints being deserved, but since this is a B2P it's not like you can't take a break on those 80's then show up when they patch it. Plus they have an expansion they have been working hard on, so more good stuff for the fans.

Would that be a PvE expansion?

Go figure.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I would think the degree of upset a resonable customer might have would be based with the explanation, though, wouldn't you? If they simply said it wouldn't be ready or were going to leave out things promised that would be one thing. However Colin gives a reasonable and detailed explanation of what's going on. I give credit where I see it due, and if it takes a few more weeks for the polish and shine phase to produce a bug-free release I'm willing to give it those few more weeks. Besides, it's hardly worth wasting the emotion over this... it's a release date for a little more content in a game being pushed out by a few weeks. Those kinds of things hardly draw more than a raised eyebrow... certainly not a notable emotional response. Sandy Brook - emotional response. 9/11 - emotional response. GW2 delays WvW update a few weeks... ok, I'll wait.

It was, admittedly, an extreme example but meant to be an example of things worthy of spending stress and emotion over. Anet saying they're going to take a few more weeks to make sure everything is polished... oh, by the way, Guild Missions!,... isn't one of those things worth freaking out over. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

Well that's fine, at least I'm not paying while I'm not playing.

Sad though that something that was marketed as a PvP orientated game, just isn't.

I almost exclusively play PvP and WvWVW at that. So....ehm....yeah.

Would that be a PvE expansion?

Go figure.

No, it would be PvP expansion. But its not totally unhealthy to be negative, it can turn out in bigger positive ;P

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by evilastro

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/the-game/releases/february-2013/

Doesn't look very barren to me.....

New sPvP map, more story content, guild missions, 2 team rated pvp and an update to achievements. Yes, so very barren.

GW2 has had more content in its monthly updates than most MMOs manage in 3 months.

They need more time to make sure that the WvW changes are good, get over it.

That's really not true at all. GW2's only proper content patch since launch was the Karka one, everything else was a limited time event that will be recycled every year... Even then the Lost Shores were an empty zone with no real purpose.

I'd suggest you take a look at Rift if you want to see a game that does it well. GW2 is actually shockingly barren in terms of content updates.